Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Delighted to have run the first three runs of the plan this week. I'm a bit of a saddo in that I love ticking off the runs on the printout of the plan! Looking forward to the 7 mile LSR tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will be a bit cooler early in the morning. Last night at 8.30 was torture! Did my first pilates class this week too, really enjoyed it and going to go regularly as I felt great after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

gypsylee wrote: »
    Delighted to have run the first three runs of the plan this week. I'm a bit of a saddo in that I love ticking off the runs on the printout of the plan! Looking forward to the 7 mile LSR tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will be a bit cooler early in the morning. Last night at 8.30 was torture! Did my first pilates class this week too, really enjoyed it and going to go regularly as I felt great after it.

Great news gypsylee. Pilates is a fantastic supplement to running! The main source of runners problems seeming to be weak core & glutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Hi Everybody,

I have to say I like ticking off the runs too. 😀

I was a few weeks ahead with the plan but I have decided to go back to week 2. I just started strength and conditioning training, I can barely sit down let alone do a long run of 20+ kms. I’m trying to build up some muscle and strength , but I’m a bit worried it will slow me up a bit. Any thoughts ? Thank you all .

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

Just a heads up to anyone planning on doing the South Dublin 10k ( part of the Race Series ), entry closes tomorrow. €55 for the bundle. I booked them this morning

Clibee wrote: »
    Hi Everybody,

I have to say I like ticking off the runs too. ��

I was a few weeks ahead with the plan but I have decided to go back to week 2. I just started strength and conditioning training, I can barely sit down let alone do a long run of 20+ kms. I’m trying to build up some muscle and strength , but I’m a bit worried it will slow me up a bit. Any thoughts ? Thank you all .

Clibee the DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) should wear off as you adjust to it but if it doesn't i would suggest you discuss it with your s&c trainer and explain the situation. S&C is a great supplement to running but it shouldn't derail your running, especially not when you're training for an event like DCM where you need to get the miles in, there is no substitute for running. Maybe s/he can give you a lighter program to follow that you can build up more slowly. For the next 16 weeks DCM is the main thing - and once again i'll quote an esteemed boardsie comrade when i say that it's important to keep the main thing, the main thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done racersedge. Just with regards to the bit in bold - it's not totally clear whether you upped the pace to the correct pace range or whether you upped it beyond that so that the average for the run would be in the range? For future or for anyone else in this situation we'd recommend doing the former anyhow, just up the pace to the correct range and don't worry about the miles that were slower, it's no harm to run slower than the planned pace range occasionally (and especially in this weather :eek:).

To clarify, I just upped it to a regular averageish run pace and wasn’t a case of pushing hard to compensate for the slower pace. Reading back I can see where i caused a touch of confusion around it. I’m carefully sticking to my pace bands around the plan and using those pace calculators linked previously as a rough idea of what to aim for. However, I would say that I’m using them expressly as a guideline and just tailoring them to suit as I gain greater info from each run.

Took Long To Read Verison - Didn’t go and go nuts on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Thank you for your reply Ariana, it’s makes perfect sense. I’ll just have to adapt to the strength training but I’ll keep the miles up. Thanks again

racersedge wrote: »
    To clarify, I just upped it to a regular averageish run pace and wasn’t a case of pushing hard to compensate for the slower pace. Reading back I can see where i caused a touch of confusion around it. I’m carefully sticking to my pace bands around the plan and using those pace calculators linked previously as a rough idea of what to aim for. However, I would say that I’m using them expressly as a guideline and just tailoring them to suit as I gain greater info from each run.

Took Long To Read Verison - Didn’t go and go nuts on it!!

I hoped as much but wasn't 100% so just put it out there for you or anyone else in that situation again. Well done.

Great stuff coming from everyone this week and it hasn't been an easy week. Slightly longer LSRs for everyone this weekend. Get out early in the morning or late in the evening if you can to avoid the heat. Drink plenty of water a couple of days beforehand (add an electrolyte tablet if you're someone who sweats a lot - mind you i think we all do in this heat!). No harm to add some salty foods to your diet also in this weather - i'm currently snacking on Tuc crackers, nom nom! And don't forget the sunscreen (do i sound like a broken record yet :pac:).

If the pace/effort feels too much then it is - SLOW DOWN. You should be able to chat in full sentences on your LSR? You should feel relaxed and like you could run forever at that pace? Be honest with yourself - there's nothing to be gained from trying to convince yourself you're running comfortably when you're not.

Afterwards get a bit of protein in pretty quickly - a glass of milk, a piece of cheese. And then over the course of the next hour or so have a shower, do some gentle stretching and have a proper feed (healthy of course :P) and by then you will feel amazing :)

Some of you will be running the longest run you've ever run - savour the sense of accomplishment, enjoy the moment :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Just a heads up to anyone planning on doing the South Dublin 10k ( part of the Race Series ), entry closes tomorrow. €55 for the bundle. I booked them this morning

Cheers for this heads-up, had been meaning to sign up but hadn't gotten around to it yet! All signed up now anyways. Very good value for the 3 races, in fairness.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

Clibee the DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) should wear off as you adjust to it but if it doesn't i would suggest you discuss it with your s&c trainer and explain the situation. S&C is a great supplement to running but it shouldn't derail your running, especially not when you're training for an event like DCM where you need to get the miles in, there is no substitute for running. Maybe s/he can give you a lighter program to follow that you can build up more slowly. For the next 16 weeks DCM is the main thing - and once again i'll quote an esteemed boardsie comrade when i say that it's important to keep the main thing, the main thing :)

I was talking to one of the physios in work today about this , and his main thing was if you have a base from doing s&c was to keep to deadlifts(posterior chain), squats(glutes), single leg squats for stability and then any general compound movements. The other main factor was to go heavy and do no more then 5 reps as you want to build strength. (Doms) shouldn't occur with these low reps/sets and aim for at least twice a week also not to complecate things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Ran home from work this evening for my lsr (11miles). Kids parties tomorrow so no room for weekend runs. Great sense of accomplishment after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

It's great (with a tinge of jealousy) reading the updates.

My shoulder is slowly getting better but physio reckons it will be another 10 days before the numbness from my arm/fingers goes fully.

BUT (probably as a result of the panic written across my face) she's given me permission to go for an easy run tomorrow to see how it goes - it may just loosen me up. Lots of rules to obey, but it's a start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

juke wrote: »
    It's great (with a tinge of jealousy) reading the updates.

My shoulder is slowly getting better but physio reckons it will be another 10 days before the numbness from my arm/fingers goes fully.

BUT (probably as a result of the panic written across my face) she's given me permission to go for an easy run tomorrow to see how it goes - it may just loosen me up. Lots of rules to obey, but it's a start :)

Is this one of these unlucky things life throws at you or were weights the cause? I say cause in a roundabout way, bearing in mind what ariana said about keeping the main thing the main thing. Copyright AMK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Is this one of these unlucky things life throws at you or were weights the cause? I say cause in a roundabout way, bearing in mind what ariana said about keeping the main thing the main thing. Copyright AMK!

One of those things coupled with an upper back mild scoliosis that's impinging rehab.

Did nothing odd in the gym last week -and AMK's log is one I read, so I'm trying to have some level of cop on :o

The last month was bad at work, including weekends - which is not usual for me. At all. Physio said it was a classic Friday: my head said 'Yeah, it's the weekend, I can finally relax' and my body just said said 'uh uh, no you don't'

juke wrote: »
    One of those things coupled with an upper back mild scoliosis that's impinging rehab.

Did nothing odd in the gym last week -and AMK's log is one I read, so I'm trying to have some level of cop on :o

The last month was bad at work, including weekends - which is not usual for me. At all. Physio said it was a classic Friday: my head said 'Yeah, it's the weekend, I can finally relax' and my body just said said 'uh uh, no you don't'

Haha.., no suggestion you were lacking in cop on! I'm just a wee bit concerned about calf strains, DOMS, etc etc. that I'm reading and the plan not yet two weeks old. I am just terrified that running too fast (something that lots are still doing), outside activities or supplementary training are going to tip people over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I hoped as much but wasn't 100% so just put it out there for you or anyone else in that situation again. Well done.

Great stuff coming from everyone this week and it hasn't been an easy week. Slightly longer LSRs for everyone this weekend. Get out early in the morning or late in the evening if you can to avoid the heat. Drink plenty of water a couple of days beforehand (add an electrolyte tablet if you're someone who sweats a lot - mind you i think we all do in this heat!). No harm to add some salty foods to your diet also in this weather - i'm currently snacking on Tuc crackers, nom nom! And don't forget the sunscreen (do i sound like a broken record yet :pac:).

If the pace/effort feels too much then it is - SLOW DOWN. You should be able to chat in full sentences on your LSR? You should feel relaxed and like you could run forever at that pace? Be honest with yourself - there's nothing to be gained from trying to convince yourself you're running comfortably when you're not.

Afterwards get a bit of protein in pretty quickly - a glass of milk, a piece of cheese. And then over the course of the next hour or so have a shower, do some gentle stretching and have a proper feed (healthy of course :P) and by then you will feel amazing :)

Some of you will be running the longest run you've ever run - savour the sense of accomplishment, enjoy the moment :)

I'm heading out super early for my lsr tomorrow as the rest of the day is choc-a-bloc!

I love those Tuc crackers too! Can't get enough of them!

As for the electrolytes, I've been taking Dioralyte for the last few weeks. I sweat a huge amount on my runs, sometimes more than I feel is the norm. After an hour, my running top is saturated!!
    Not much that can be done about that I suppose.....

Anyway, I was wondering if I should still do a lsr during week 4 as I won't be running in the South Dublin 10k?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

gypsylee wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a saddo in that I love ticking off the runs on the printout of the plan!

Ahem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What shops sell those zero tabs?

coogy wrote: »
    I'm heading out super early for my lsr tomorrow as the rest of the day is choc-a-bloc!

I love those Tuc crackers too! Can't get enough of them!

As for the electrolytes, I've been taking Dioralyte for the last few weeks. I sweat a huge amount on my runs, sometimes more than I feel is the norm. After an hour, my running top is saturated!!
    Not much that can be done about that I suppose.....

Anyway, I was wondering if I should still do a lsr during week 4 as I won't be running in the South Dublin 10k?

Yeah K, definitely. Maybe repeat this week 3 with a mile or two added to the long run.

Elverys for sure...most running shops do too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Holland and Barrett too

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

I didn’t do my long run as planned this morning. I’ve been nursing a tight calf since Wednesday, trying to be extra careful to stretch, taking anti-inflammatories etc. Last night when I tried to foam roll it was really painful, so I decided to postpone my long run until tomorrow morning.
    Today it feels perfect, I’ve just foam rolled the crap out of it and no pain in it at all - I’m going to cycle down to the gym for a swim and then rest it for the day. I’ve torn this calf before and couldn’t run for 6 weeks so I’m being extra cautious this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I didn't wake up early as expected myself so I'll do my jog tonight.

Im wondering though.. if I went to the gym and used the treadmill for my LSR today is that completely not advised?

Should I just be patient and wait?

Alternatively is there any harm In doing a swim today before I did my lsr tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wanted to run in the sun today, instead all I got was to run in the heat... Damn clouds meant I got the worst of both worlds! :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

sumsar wrote: »
    I didn't wake up early as expected myself so I'll do my jog tonight.

Im wondering though.. if I went to the gym and used the treadmill for my LSR today is that completely not advised?

Should I just be patient and wait?

Alternatively is there any harm In doing a swim today before I did my lsr tonight?

I don’t see any harm in either but could you stay on a treadmill for that long if you choose that? I can’t myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Got my LSR done this morning with the change of scenery in Roscommon for the 10 Mile race. It was an interesting experience to be at an event knowing I wasn't going to be pushing hard. It helped that I ran with my wife for the first six before she started to drop pace. I went on myself and kept things nice and steady. Very happy with how it went and felt I could have easily went on at that. Conditions were ideal. While warm, it was cloudy of the course of the route. Fantastic organisation of the event as well. It was well worth the trip across for it this morning.

Running in a race environment at a sedentary pace also allowed me to work on a few things that I hope will stand to me come October - such as having to run to a target and (mostly) resisting the urge to up the pace when around others or ensuring intake of water, jellies etc during an event. Took the opportunity to build some discipline there that should stand to me down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Did the Cahir Half Marathon this afternoon. So tough. My initial target was 1:50 based off my 10 mile time of 1:23. Then as the weather forecast came in during the week I revised the target to 2 hours. First half was hillier, and I passed the halfway point in 1:01, which was as planned. Felt strong for the next 5-6km as I upped the pace slightly. Blew up around the 16km mark and had to walk large portions of the final 5k. Came in at 2:09. The heat was something else. Maybe I didn't adjust enough to take account of the weather.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Did the Cahir Half Marathon this afternoon. So tough. My initial target was 1:50 based off my 10 mile time of 1:23. Then as the weather forecast came in during the week I revised the target to 2 hours. First half was hillier, and I passed the halfway point in 1:01, which was as planned. Felt strong for the next 5-6km as I upped the pace slightly. Blew up around the 16km mark and had to walk large portions of the final 5k. Came in at 2:09. The heat was something else. Maybe I didn't adjust enough to take account of the weather.

Fair play to you, I'm delaying my 7 miler because of the heat and you're out doing a half marathon, fair play.

Don't be disappointed in having to take walking breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fair play to you, I'm delaying my 7 miler because of the heat and you're out doing a half marathon, fair play.

Cheers. May have to re-think my DCM target time (4h)! My only other planned race before DCM is the Clonmel Half at end of August, in hopefully less severe conditions. I'll see how that goes, then look at DCM target time. If nothing else today has given me a new respect for the size of the task ahead.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

If nothing else today has given me a new respect for the size of the task ahead.

I was discussing it with a friend recently and explained I've heard the words "respect the distance" however I think at this stage I still don't quite realize what's ahead of me ha

I've signed up for the full Dublin Race series so I hope that helps put my head in the right mindset.

Advertisement