Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

Done today's session yesterday ( made a mess of it ), hard to dial into PMP after trying hard the last few weeks to slow down. Get plenty of water into you today, I don't think I've ever sweated as much in my life when I get home from it. Already feels warmer today than yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Done today's session yesterday ( made a mess of it ), hard to dial into PMP after trying hard the last few weeks to slow down. Get plenty of water into you today, I don't think I've ever sweated as much in my life when I get home from it. Already feels warmer today than yesterday

Don't be too hard on yourself, it was only marginally faster than your pmp i thought? And the pace was very steady which is good. I'd prefer to see you guys run your pmp runs slightly fast than your easy runs fast (keep the easy stuff easy and the hard stuff hard). But it is important to get a good feel for PMP over the weeks - if it's realistic it will be the pace you'll be running for 26.2 miles next October so it's good to recognise the effort level and be comfortable with it.

Well done to everyone ticking off the runs. You guys have had a particularly challenging start with the heat but it will all stand to you. Keep it going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I wouldn't overly worry about getting your paces spot on in hot weather, in fact I'd dial it back a bit. If you're training with HR rather than pace you'll notice it's much higher these days. If you have a garmin you can upload your workout with paces then your watch notify you if you're too slow or fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

I wouldn't overly worry about getting your paces spot on in hot weather, in fact I'd dial it back a bit. If you're training with HR rather than pace you'll notice it's much higher these days. If you have a garmin you can upload your workout with paces then your watch notify you if you're too slow or fast.
    I had it set up alright but as I said I made a mess of it by 15-20 secs each split :wassat: plan was to go 5-10 secs slower gradually. Felt fine after it so that's a plus I'll take from it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Quick q on paces - should there be a difference between a recovery run and a slow run? For some context - I did my lsr last week 9:50 (over a min slower than PMP) then went slower for a recovery run the next day - 10 min miles - should this actually be the other way around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Hedgehoggy wrote:
    Quick q on paces - should there be a difference between a recovery run and a slow run? For some context - I did my lsr last week 9:50 (over a min slower than PMP) then went slower for a recovery run the next day - 10 min miles - should this actually be the other way around?

Recovery should be exactly that. It usually follows a particularly hard day. I'm not all that familiar with the plans so the mentors can correct me if I'm wrong but a recovery run is usually to get the blood flowing in the legs and aid recovery from a hard session the day before. Typically recovery is slower. Looks like what you did is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hedgehoggy wrote: »

I've been doing (or trying at least) my recovery runs a touch slower than LSR.

First attempt at Strides today. Loved it. Stuck 5 x 30s in the middle of a 6.5k run.
    3k Easy, then next 2k had the strides in there. Only problem was I didn't manage to rein the pace back in to easy over the last 1.5k. Effort felt fine for that 1.5k, but watch tells a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

ariana` wrote: »
    Great advice for anyone not used to racing, it takes great discipline not to bolt like a race horse at the start! If you do make the mistake (and don't worry we nearly all do at some point ;)) then the sooner you can rein in the pace the better. Have a planned pace range going into the race and then try to ignore all those around you and focus on your own pace.

I need to really let this sink in. I know I'll be fine but at the same time, I have visions of myself chomping at the bit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

coogy wrote: »
    I need to really let this sink in. I know I'll be fine but at the same time, I have visions of myself chomping at the bit!!!

That’s exactly how you should feel at the start of DCM. It was drilled into us last year and I had a paceband that had me going so so slow for the first 10km or so and then slowly picking it up. It was a mad feeling letting everybody pass me and holding myself back but it paid off big time and I passed them all back out again with my fresh legs later. We’ll have you all doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

Hi! I hope it’s ok to hop in so late in the game.
    Just thought I'd introduce myself as I've just started following the Boards plan and I'm lurking around the group all week, it would be nice to have a bit of online company to compare training with!
    I was a novice in 2016 - unfortunately the marathon didn't go to plan -I managed to hobble thru the finish line in 5:27. I had missed a lot of training due to injury and I ended up taking almost a year off afterwards to recover.
    I've learned nothing and now I'm back to do it again - hopefully without injuries this time :D

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Yes – most recent 5k was the Streets of Dublin 5k on May 20th in 27:45, and the Superhero 10k on June 17th in 59:21.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. I cycle to work most days, 5k each way. I go to the gym next door twice a week at lunch for weight lifting and I’m a member of a running club, I go out with them 3 days a week (up to 10 miles). I also go out myself for 5k-10k once or twice a week either before work or on my lunch hour.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Dream time – McMillian calculator told me 4:38:00 which would be amazing, but a more realistic time I think is 4:50:00 - but I'll be happy as long as I beat my last attempt.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? 5-6 days, Boards plan.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Injury. I’m back doing what I love and so far the distance is agreeing with me. I’ve lost 3 stone since my last marathon so my physio thinks I’ll hold up a lot better, but every hill I see puts the fear of God in me that something will ‘pop’ and I’ll be sidelined again.

Why are you running this marathon? I am running because I have unfinished business. My hip went at mile 12 during my last attempt and I struggled to finish. I also won an entry so took it as a sign to go again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Good luck kittyclaws I remember you from 2016 I was part of that crew too but a different user name. Hope you hit your goal this time around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great to see you again, kittyclaws. Best of luck with the weeks ahead. Did you have to dress as a superhero for that 10k?!

Great to see you again, kittyclaws. Best of luck with the weeks ahead. Did you have to dress as a superhero for that 10k?!

Hey!
    We didn’t have to but it was encouraged so I did - any excuse to put on my Wonder Woman outfit and scare the locals :D

Hi Kittyclaws and welcome - i remember you too from when i was stalking the 2016 thread :pac: Congrats on winning the entry - it's definitely a sign ;) You sound like you have a really rock solid base this year with the mix of cycling, gym and solid mileage too which is fundamental. Are you going to continue running with the club while following the Boards plan or how do you think that will work out? Your McMillan time is close to home for me as i ran 4:37:xx last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Lovely conditions for a run this morning :)

Recovery run this morning was definitely required, stiff calf starting with a sore hip during and a tender groin now

It is only week 2 :)
    Damn I am old when everything starts to hurt

We shall soldier on and prevail

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Eventful enough run last night. 5m with 3 @ PMP, it was enjoyable (but tough) speeding up.

Found it quite difficult to gauge my PMP tho. Initially had no idea if I was going 9 min/mi or 10 min/mi. (I'm aiming for 4h20 for the marathon, which would be 9:55min/mi pace). Managed to average 9:45 for the pace bit so not too far away in the end. Fairly daunting thinking we'll have to run at that pace almost another 8 times tho!!

Also, my watch strap broke mid-run so I'm using this as the perfect excuse to buy the Forerunner 235 which I've been eyeing up for awhile now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

aloooof wrote: »
    Eventful enough run last night. 5m with 3 @ PMP, it was enjoyable (but tough) speeding up.

Found it quite difficult to gauge my PMP tho. Initially had no idea if I was going 9 min/mi or 10 min/mi. (I'm aiming for 4h20 for the marathon, which would be 9:55min/mi pace). Managed to average 9:45 for the pace bit so not too far away in the end. Fairly daunting thinking we'll have to run at that pace almost another 8 times tho!!

Also, my watch strap broke mid-run so I'm using this as the perfect excuse to buy the Forerunner 235 which I've been eyeing up for awhile now!

Cracking watch, you wont be dissapointed!

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi Kittyclaws and welcome - i remember you too from when i was stalking the 2016 thread :pac: Congrats on winning the entry - it's definitely a sign ;) You sound like you have a really rock solid base this year with the mix of cycling, gym and solid mileage too which is fundamental. Are you going to continue running with the club while following the Boards plan or how do you think that will work out? Your McMillan time is close to home for me as i ran 4:37:xx last year :D

Thanks for that, I've swapped Mondays & Tuesday training on the boards plan so i can do my easy run on Mondays with the club, plus they do their LSR on Saturdays so I'll have company for most of my miles.
    I could only dream of running 4:37! :eek:

aloooof wrote: »

Always nice to have an excuse to buy new gear!!

I have a habit of belting off when the pace would increase thinking the pace needs more effort than it actually does. What I’m trying to do now is be a bit slower and build to the pace instead. I find my breathing stays in control then and don’t need to recover as such. Still a work in progress though!! As Ariana said in an earlier post it’s not too bad to go a bit faster on your hard days. No point going too fast either though as pace is there for a reason in the plan.

Lovely conditions for a run this morning :)

Recovery run this morning was definitely required, stiff calf starting with a sore hip during and a tender groin now

It is only week 2 :)
    Damn I am old when everything starts to hurt

We shall soldier on and prevail

Stiff calf for me too. Ended up taking two days rest but going to head out at lunch time to test it out. Better to get it sorted now anyway then later in the training cycle I guess

• Advertisement

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Stiff calf for me too. Ended up taking two days rest but going to head out at lunch time to test it out. Better to get it sorted now anyway then later in the training cycle I guess

Have you a foam roller? They really help.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I had a lovely 5km run yesterday morning. Felt so good to be running pain free. Doing the strengthening exercises, foam rolling and the heel drops really seem to be helping. Looking forward to the LSR of 7 miles on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Getting kudos from Christ on the strava novice group is a new high for me!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Have you a foam roller? They really help.

Yes - and its made a big difference to the calf. Realised I need to start with this and proper stretching too. Also bought a mini one the other day in tiger and my toddler sits alongside me and 'rolls' as well.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

He works in mysterious ways...

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

LOL :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I have a habit of belting off when the pace would increase thinking the pace needs more effort than it actually does. What I’m trying to do now is be a bit slower and build to the pace instead. I find my breathing stays in control then and don’t need to recover as such. Still a work in progress though!!

I did something like this last night, but it was more by accident rather than design. Could see by the watch at .9 miles into the warm-up that I was even slower than intended easy pace so gradually started to increase.

I'll keep it in mind and actively try this approach next time tho! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

First rest day of the week today and boy did I miss getting out there to run. I HAD to set my alarm last night and it felt so wrong not getting up when it went off this morning!
    My right calf was a bit achy last night so I foam rolled the life out of it. It feels a lot better today. I must get one of those sticks everyone talks about.
    I have my gear laid out already for tomorrow's run. Chomping at the bit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Third run of the week done. Ad hoc in nature. As I reported on Tuesday night, the plan was run it easy with the missus. However, it was obvious to me within the first kilometer she was struggling. Took her 2.5K to realise what I had copped in about .5k. So She took the opportunity to take the short way back. I continued on and upped my initial pace to compensate for the slower first part. Ultimately I did 6K instead of the intended 5K.

Off day tomorrow before I organise my Saturday LSR into the Roscommon 10 Mile. Now trying to convince my wife that she should either jog/walk or just plain out walk it considering she isn't over the recent fall to do it properly. That, my friends, is likely to be a tougher task than completing the marathon distance!!

• Advertisement

racersedge wrote: »
    Third run of the week done. Ad hoc in nature. As I reported on Tuesday night, the plan was run it easy with the missus. However, it was obvious to me within the first kilometer she was struggling. Took her 2.5K to realise what I had copped in about .5k. So She took the opportunity to take the short way back. I continued on and upped my initial pace to compensate for the slower first part. Ultimately I did 6K instead of the intended 5K.

Off day tomorrow before I organise my Saturday LSR into the Roscommon 10 Mile. Now trying to convince my wife that she should either jog/walk or just plain out walk it considering she isn't over the recent fall to do it properly. That, my friends, is likely to be a tougher task than completing the marathon distance!!

Well done racersedge. Just with regards to the bit in bold - it's not totally clear whether you upped the pace to the correct pace range or whether you upped it beyond that so that the average for the run would be in the range? For future or for anyone else in this situation we'd recommend doing the former anyhow, just up the pace to the correct range and don't worry about the miles that were slower, it's no harm to run slower than the planned pace range occasionally (and especially in this weather :eek:).

Advertisement