Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What is your actual plan?

Thought I’d be bold and try a 12 week beginner plan. It’s in the Rock n Roll series website. At the moment, I’m not following a plan but keen to build up a good base.

I was going to incorporate full pace parkruns into my training both now and during some of the plan but I’ve finally got that out of my head. I’m sure that’s probably would be a one way ticket to an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

I would be interested to hear how people have found running in the heat. Initially really struggled with it, but in recent days I have not noticed it as much and seem to have adapted. Good experience for anyone holidaying in the sun, during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Thought I’d be bold and try a 12 week beginner plan. It’s in the Rock n Roll series website. At the moment, I’m not following a plan but keen to build up a good base.

I was going to incorporate full pace parkruns into my training both now and during some of the plan but I’ve finally got that out of my head. I’m sure that’s probably would be a one way ticket to an injury.

Why not just follow one of the plans here rather than building up a base by yourself? I know you said before you needed a hybrid round work but surely you could tweak them to ensure you are doing the mileage etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

dixierip wrote: »
    I would be interested to hear how people have found running in the heat. Initially really struggled with it, but in recent days I have not noticed it as much and seem to have adapted. Good experience for anyone holidaying in the sun, during the summer.

I found the long run at the weekend tough with the heat despite going out early enough at 8.15 and I was very hot at the end of 6 miles. However I then went for a swim in the sea at Malahide which was a bit like an ice bath ! Highly recommended and the legs felt great for the whole day after.
    I will be working it into my LSR in future

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I am so happy to have started the Hal Higdon plan this morning. First run done. Can't believe I am training for a marathon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

gypsylee wrote: »
    I am so happy to have started the Hal Higdon plan this morning. First run done. Can't believe I am training for a marathon!

Super new gypsylee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

ChippyRun wrote: »
    I found the long run at the weekend tough with the heat despite going out early enough at 8.15 and I was very hot at the end of 6 miles. However I then went for a swim in the sea at Malahide which was a bit like an ice bath ! Highly recommended and the legs felt great for the whole day after.
    I will be working it into my LSR in future

+1 to that, I am swimming with friends from a Tri Club and we went to the 40ft on Saturday morning, the sea was actually a bit choppy, but I felt Brillo Pads after the session.

I did my LSR on Sunday morning (ASIC's Plan) on nice fresh legs and the heat didn't affect me too much until the last mile or two, so I think that we are all getting a bit fitter too as a natural by-product of the LSR's.

Off to the pool again today to loosen out the body again, such a good form of cross training that doesn't tax the running muscles to much either.

A good tip for running in hot weather is to bring along an electrolyte tablet or two wrapped in tin foil and then top up your water bottles at the halfway point after a quick visit to a shop/garage for nice cool water. Also wear a light colour tee shirt to reflect the heat(white for me) and a breathable running cap, you can get these online or in a proper sports shop for about €15........makes such a difference in keeping you cool on hot days. ;)

Happy Monday.......

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Decided not to follow the boards plan as I had hoped, 3 days in a row running my body (legs in particular) are just not able for it.

Soo, I'm gonna cycle Mon & Wednesday, and move Wed sessions to Tuesday if that makes sense.

Think that was one of causes of last years injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rossi7

Decided not to follow the boards plan as I had hoped, 3 days in a row running my body (legs in particular) are just not able for it.

Soo, I'm gonna cycle Mon & Wednesday, and move Wed sessions to Tuesday if that makes sense.

Think that was one of causes of last years injuries
    Are you running your easy and recovery runs easy ? At the minute there's only two days where we need to work on the boards plan and they are 3 days apart

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Are you running your easy and recovery runs easy ? At the minute there's only two days where we need to work on the boards plan and they are 3 days apart

Yep, just feel very slight pains across shins and want to avoid last years disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

So week one is completed! :D Well done to everybody!

The early weeks of the plans are hugely important. They are foundations which our marathon house will be built on. If they are laid down properly then everything else comes that bit easier. This is where we get the engine trained to run long.

Take a bit of time to assess the first week. Did the days and times you ran at seem manageable when fitted into the work/ life picture? Do they need tweaking? Did you follow your plan or find yourself going a bit maverick on it?

Lastly (in this post but probably not in the next 17 weeks), did you take on board advice about paces? Strava has a very useful stat on the leaderboard (a term I greatly dislike) which shows your average pace for your weeks running. A bit of study of these numbers has given me a clear picture as to how all the top club athletes train. Their average pace is a minute at least slower than the type of marathon times they can run. This often includes races which lower that average. This is a lesson to be heeded. People targetting a 5 hour marathon shouldn't have a training average of less than 12 mins per min, 4 hours target should average no faster than 10 mins etc. These are minimums, slower would be better in some cases. How would you be doing based on week 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

The early weeks of the plans are hugely important. They are foundations which our marathon house will be built on. If they are laid down properly then everything else comes that bit easier. This is where we get the engine trained to run long.

Take a bit of time to assess the first week. Did the days and times you ran at seem manageable when fitted into the work/ life picture? Do they need tweaking? Did you follow your plan or find yourself going a bit maverick on it?

Lastly (in this post but probably not in the next 17 weeks), did you take on board advice about paces? Strava has a very useful stat on the leaderboard (a term I greatly dislike) which shows your average pace for your weeks running. A bit of study of these numbers has given me a clear picture as to how all the top club athletes train. Their average pace is a minute at least slower than the type of marathon times they can run. This often includes races which lower that average. This is a lesson to be heeded. People targetting a 5 hour marathon shouldn't have a training average of less than 12 mins per min, 4 hours target should average no faster than 10 mins etc. These are minimums, slower would be better in some cases. How would you be doing based on week 1?

I'm a bit tired after the week and I think I didnt slow down my paces enough - I've been wearing flipflops the last few days with the sun and I'm wondering if they aren't all that good.... recovery run on grass planned for this evening so hopefully that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rossi7

I'd a good week, missed the easy run Thursday with a dodgey tummy so used that evening to go buy new running shoes. I'll buy a 2nd pair next month and alternate up to the day of DCM. Signing up for the race series this week and looking forward to this weeks LSR, doubt I'll be saying that week 14 all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I think I am happy enough with how the week panned out.

What made it easier for me during the week was being able to do my midweek runs during my lunch break. All being well, I should be able to stick to that routine (for the easy runs at least). A big concern for me - even back as far as last November - was that I wouldn't have the time for any of the training, let alone a marathon due to a particularly hectic home life. Proving myself wrong has been spurred me on even further with every week that passes. I don't think I have ever been this driven about anything before.

Will definitely stick to the Boards plan as rigidly as I can. That said, if I extend my runs by a kilometer here or there I'm not going to lose any sleep.
    A big thing for me is entering races between now and October. What's really going against me is lack of finances but it's definitely my plan to at least do the Half Marathon in September and one other race (possibly the Mullingar 10 mile on 28th July). I would be extremely disappointed if I didn't run at least one of those.
    Pace-wise, I think I have been doing ok and I know I have it in me to hold back on the easy and recovery runs but I definitely think there is still room for improvement. I'm sure it will come with time, just need to keep it a the forefront of my mind at all times. I was a lot happier with my last two runs in terms of pace compared to earlier in the week or at any other stage in recent weeks.

Rest day today so am already looking forward to the rest of the week.

Thanks again for all of the wonderful advice and for keeping us all in check!

smashiner wrote: »

A good tip for running in hot weather is to bring along an electrolyte tablet or two wrapped in tin foil and then top up your water bottles at the halfway point after a quick visit to a shop/garage for nice cool water.

Happy Monday.......

Another brilliant tip I got is to use the little ziplock bags that come with new clothes carrying buttons to carry your electrolyte tablets. Start saving them now and get your family to give them to you too. Fantastic way to carry your electrolyte tablets or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭chabsey

Where can I get those electrolyte tabs? I have dioralyte but it only seems to come in two flavours - disgusting and vile.

chabsey wrote: »
    Where can I get those electrolyte tabs? I have dioralyte but it only seems to come in two flavours - disgusting and vile.

Yeah it’s horrible. I use Zero tablets. They come in tubes and a few different flavours. I’ve seen them in Elverys and any running or cycling shop would have them I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

First week of the boards plan went well. Stepped up to 4 runs a week from 3. My total mileage is now at 21 miles with an lsr of 11 miles. This was by far one of the toughest runs this year due to the heat but especially getting an upset tummy on the run. I ran super slow and relaxed and made it home ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I had a good week myself too, I think, kept the pace slow didn't struggle with the heat that much and kept to the plan.. mostly.

The only part of the plan I didn't stick to was the cross yesterday.. but I'll make sure that doesn't happen again.

Today my right knee is.. not sore but kinda feels like there is some added pressure on it I guess.. If I was a gambling man I'd say it's due to my weight so I really need to get my act together there.

Just bought a pair of ASIC's 'Gel Pulse 9' on Wiggle for €61 (free shipping), great value and will be needed as I will chew up my current ones in the coming weeks/months.

Grab a bargain and snap them up if they suit your pronation, I am on my 6th or 7th pair of ASIC's Pulse and love them, particularly for LSR's!

• Advertisement

smashiner wrote: »
    Just bought a pair of ASIC's 'Gel Pulse 9' on Wiggle for €61 (free shipping), great value and will be needed as I will chew up my current ones in the coming weeks/months.

Grab a bargain and snap them up if they suit your pronation, I am on my 6th or 7th pair of ASIC's Pulse and love them, particularly for LSR's!

I honestly don't know how to look out for runners that suit your pronation online.. previously I just got the folks at the store to tell me what suited me based on the machine..

However.. took a gamble and purchased a pair as I had a great pair of asics before so I'm hoping these are great for me too.. Fingers crossed.

sumsar wrote: »
    I honestly don't know how to look out for runners that suit your pronation online.. previously I just got the folks at the store to tell me what suited me based on the machine..

However.. took a gamble and purchased a pair as I had a great pair of asics before so I'm hoping these are great for me too.. Fingers crossed.
    sumsar wrote: »

Yikes, fingers crossed here too....I really hope that you get lucky with your choice ;).

I am not an expert by any means, but I 'underpronate' a bit when I run and I wear out the 'outer' sides of my heels a bit more that the full surface area. The Gel Pulse are described as a Neutral shoe, but are also fine for me, so you might be ok if you under pronate or are Neutral, check your current runners and this might be a steer in the right direction.

I bought a pair of Gel Kayano (€140) for my first marathon a few years ago as a few people told me that they were great for long distance running, however they were for over pronators and I had to stop wearing them after 2-3 runs in them as the inside of my knee was very sore as I was landing incorrectly in them and my knee ligaments were being strained.......they are now my very expensive 'grass cutting runners'........:D

Now is the time folks to find these things out before the mileage really ramps up........

Wear on the outside half of the heel is not enough in itself to suggest neutral, over pronation or under pronation. If the wear pattern continues along the outside edge and the outer threads on the front of the shoe it is an indication of under pronating, if the wear moves across the shoe to the inside at the front then it suggests over pronating.

That being said views are divided on whether shoes are any benefit or just more smart marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I usually buy my running shoes in a well known Irish chain of sports store but I sometimes question the level of their knowledge and whatever I end up buying there's a part of me that questions if what I've bought is the best for me. Don't mean that to sound disrespectful but I will be investing in a new pair soon and I cannot afford to be making the wrong choice.

Buying online would feel like too much of a risk for me. I could always go for the same pair as I currently use, they've not caused me any problems whatsoever.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I buy my runners in a little shop in Tullamore. Take in the old pair and the man there will look at where the wear is (for me it's the front at the toes) and he'll be able to recommend a running shoe from that.

As far as I know, if there is wear on the heel more than the front, yer landing on the heel which is not good. So a running shoe with a slightly lower sole at the heel would mean landing more on the toe region and the wear should move to that area

coogy wrote: »
    I usually buy my running shoes in a well known Irish chain of sports store but I sometimes question the level of their knowledge and whatever I end up buying there's a part of me that questions if what I've bought is the best for me. Don't mean that to sound disrespectful but I will be investing in a new pair soon and I cannot afford to be making the wrong choice.

Buying online would feel like too much of a risk for me. I could always go for the same pair as I currently use, they've not caused me any problems whatsoever.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this discussion.

It probably is technically the wrong thread but my opinion is as a novice that I'm learning things here that will help me to prepare for the Marathon.

PS I get the same feeling when I use that shop too so I tend not to take the first few suggestions and then steer directions differently.

Anyways I was on the market for new runners fingers crossed I have found the solution.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Would anyone have any recommendations for a physio in Dublin? Preferably city centre / north side, as I want to try get there on my lunch hour / after work if possible. I've a small twinge in my lower back that I want to get sorted out.

There's obviously no substitute for physio, but if anyone had any recommendations of stretches etc in the meantime that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

aloooof wrote: »
    Would anyone have any recommendations for a physio in Dublin? Preferably city centre / north side, as I want to try get there on my lunch hour / after work if possible. I've a small twinge in my lower back that I want to get sorted out.

There's obviously no substitute for physio, but if anyone had any recommendations of stretches etc in the meantime that'd be great.

I use Pearse Street physio and have gone for the very reason you mention. I've always been happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭chabsey

I've just used this place once but I'll be going again. So far (one visit) I'm happy and will be returning.

• Advertisement

https://physiotherapydublin.ie/

It's in Phibsboro

Advertisement