Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaches left in an absolute STATE....why are we a filthy nation?

Options
  • 02-07-2018 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Our beaches have been left in an absolute state after the week of weather. Everything from BBQ's, bottles, cans, nappies, etc left on the beach.
    Why or how did we descend into such a nation of scumbags?
    The excuse "the bins were full" doesn't wash with the fact that such scumbags didn't even have the decency to leave their rubbish beside the bin.
    Has it seeped into our mindset that our rubbish is somebody else's problem?
    Why can't we have the decency to bring our rubbish home and dispose of it there?
    The proposal of the deposit on bottles is a starting point, but it still won't get us away from the fact that people seem to think it is not their responsibility to look after their own rubbish.
    I think as a nation we are fairly unique in this lack of pride in where we come from?
    Killiney beach at the weekend was disgusting with dog poo on the beach and on the walkways onto the beach. Dogs are not allowed on the beach and yet it is completely ignored.
    How or why did we descend into such savages with no respect for anybody else using our public amenities? Do people not think it is embarrassing that this is what we have become?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Well said OP. Not many people in this country have even a tiny bit of a social conscience.

Because they’re being told that someone else will clear up after them and carry the cost of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

If it wasn't for local residents and volunteers all beaches would be a kip. Council are useless too in this regard, certainly where I am from, lack of bins etc. It's hard to target the root of the problem with people having absolutely no respect for the environment.

If said rubbish wasn't picked up for weeks on end the scumbags would quickly stop visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

If it wasn't for local residents and volunteers all beaches would be a kip. Council are useless too in this regard, certainly where I am from, lack of bins etc. It's hard to target the root of the problem with people having absolutely no respect for the environment.

If said rubbish wasn't picked up for weeks on end the scumbags would quickly stop visiting.

Yeah but the problem is, so would everybody else! I would love to know how much each county council spends on litter wardens, and the level of enforcement/fining that goes on.

If a litter warden was sent to a clean beach for the day, and the beach was in a state by that evening and nobody fined, you'd have to conclude the litter warden wasn't doing their job during the day.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

While I agree with you I have to question where are all the bins on the beaches and how often are they emptied?

I grew up beside a popular beach in North Dublin and bins were few and far between and left overflowing for days. This is the same in popular parks and where people congregate.

I lived on mainland Europe where there would be bins in public places that are emptied a number of times a day.

If Ireland is a tourist spot for Irish and External visitors. You would think this concept would be prioritized.

• Advertisement

While I agree with you I have to question where are all the bins on the beaches and how often are they emptied?

I grew up beside a popular beach in North Dublin and bins were few and far between and left overflowing for days. This is the same in popular parks and where people congregate.

I lived on mainland Europe where there would be bins in public places that are emptied a number of times a day.

If Ireland is a tourist spot for Irish and External visitors. You would think this concept would be prioritized.

Bins are always off the beach (in car park, etc) but my point is that people didn't even bring their stuff to the overflowing bin - you can't blame a full bin which they didn't even seek out and say "I left it on the beach instead". Why can't people bring their rubbish home with them if the bin is full? It's hardly that much of a job to do so?
    You'd think if Ireland was a "tourist spot" (which it is) people would prioritise having the decency to not litter and bring their mess home and dispose? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why can't people bring their rubbish home with them if the bin is full? It's hardly that much of a job to do so?

This is what I can't understand. If you brought it with you full then you can sure as shit take it home with you empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Being 2018 n stuff, use a beach cleaner

loads of stuff gets washed up anyway outside of
    bottles etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The whole bins argument is mute.
    Bring your rubbish home and deal with it.

Irish in general are disgusting dirty creature with little respect for others or the environment. Part of my job deals with litter and it’s just an epidemic at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's a mindset.

I've seen people (adults and children) toss sandwich and sweet wrappers etc onto the street while they were right beside a bin - it was so casual and natural an action I'd say if you asked them they didn't even realise they'd done it.

Same with tossing cigarette butts and other rubbish out of a car window.

I despair of it all sometimes.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »

bottles etc

And do you really think we should pay for that rather than change a mindset? How much would a fleet of them cost our public finances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

gctest50 wrote: »

bottles etc

My local beach had these out every day thougout the 90s and 00's. Haven't seen one in nearly a decade now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Its so easy to bring an empty bin liner and put rubbish in it and bring it home . Why can't people do that ?
    Having said that the beaches in Portugal are cleaned by the street cleaners at night.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its so easy to bring an empty bin liner and put rubbish in it and bring it home . Why can't people do that ?
    Having said that the beaches in Portugal are cleaned by the street cleaners at night.

The answer shouldn’t be that someone walks round after people at night cleaning up their mess.

We need some personal responsibility and respect for others and the environment. When money is going to pay people to pick litter it’s time they could be planting and tending flowers or green areas which would be money and time better spent.

90% of bins we have overflowing is from people coming and stuffing domestic waste into them at night.

_Brian wrote: »
    The answer shouldn’t be that someone walks round after people at night cleaning up their mess.

We need some personal responsibility and respect for others and the environment. When money is going to pay people to pick litter it’s time they could be planting and tending flowers or green areas which would be money and time better spent.

90% of bins we have overflowing is from people coming and stuffing domestic waste into them at night.

I didnt say it was the answer ! I pick up my rubbish and all my family do . But others don't and I would like to sit on a clean beach . I personally think instead of letting prisoners out early they could so this kind of work .And i also think the public bins should be emptied far more often .

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

Couldn't agree with you more. I lived in Germany and bins are available in every public space. As you point out bins in Ireland are often not emptied for days. Where I live in Dublin bins are overflowing constantly with the overflow rubbish blowing away. They must only be emptied weekly here rather than daily!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

It all comes down to rearing in the home, it wouldn't matter a toss how many bins are available,

august12 wrote: »
    It all comes down to rearing in the home, it wouldn't matter a toss how many bins are available,

Agreed . We had a four year old on the beach on Saturday and she asked for our bin bag to put her banana skin into

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Agreed . We had a four year old on the beach on Saturday and she asked for our bin bag to put her banana skin into
    And that is the way I reared my kids, to respect other people's property and to look after the environment by playing their part ie pick up their own rubbish and not to be expecting others to clean up their mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Our beaches have been left in an absolute state after the week of weather. Everything from BBQ's, bottles, cans, nappies, etc left on the beach.
    Why or how did we descend into such a nation of scumbags?
    The excuse "the bins were full" doesn't wash with the fact that such scumbags didn't even have the decency to leave their rubbish beside the bin.
    Has it seeped into our mindset that our rubbish is somebody else's problem?
    Why can't we have the decency to bring our rubbish home and dispose of it there?
    The proposal of the deposit on bottles is a starting point, but it still won't get us away from the fact that people seem to think it is not their responsibility to look after their own rubbish.
    I think as a nation we are fairly unique in this lack of pride in where we come from?
    Killiney beach at the weekend was disgusting with dog poo on the beach and on the walkways onto the beach. Dogs are not allowed on the beach and yet it is completely ignored.
    How or why did we descend into such savages with no respect for anybody else using our public amenities? Do people not think it is embarrassing that this is what we have become?

I find it incredibly embarrassing yes.. many many people have no concept of society. Thousands of wild animals left loose on the beach would create less mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lets say over the course of a week, 10,000 people used the beach. and 100 of them let their dogs ****e over the place and threw rubbish on it.

Thats 1% OP.

There will always be people who make ****e of stuff for others. This is the same the world over. Their concern stops at their own front door. 1% is enough people to make a mess of things and you cant really stop these people without murdering them in the pocket and proper enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The whole bins argument is mute.

In fairness, I don't think the argument is mute. More bins are needed in general.

If people are putting waste into them from a house, that's not my problem, it's not my job to tell the council how to design a bin.

If worst comes to the worst, the county council, should go around with a truck on the beech and someone along side it and actually ask people have they any rubbish to get rid of.

And yes, some people are dirty pricks and want everything done for them.

Another question, we could be asking is where are the litter wardens? Send a few of them down to these hot spots and once word gets around, your problem will be over.

listermint wrote: »
    Lets say over the course of a week, 10,000 people used the beach. and 100 of them let their dogs ****e over the place and threw rubbish on it.

Thats 1% OP.

There will always be people who make ****e of stuff for others. This is the same the world over. Their concern stops at their own front door. 1% is enough people to make a mess of things and you cant really stop these people without murdering them in the pocket and proper enforcement.
    But that's just an excuse. Having lived in the US, UK and Australia, it is never a problem there. I have never seen a mess like our beaches.
    In Australia, I remember canoeing the Noosa everglades. The very first thing we were told was "this is a national park. If you bring it in, you bring it out" which we did. Why can't we do the same instead of finding problems and excuses for scumbags?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

listermint wrote: »
    ....you cant really stop these people without murdering them in the pocket and proper enforcement.

And that, in a nutshell, is the problem - We don't do enforcement in Ireland - of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

But that's just an excuse. Having lived in the US, UK and Australia, it is never a problem there. I have never seen a mess like our beaches.
    In Australia, I remember canoeing the Noosa everglades. The very first thing we were told was "this is a national park. If you bring it in, you bring it out" which we did. Why can't we do the same instead of finding problems and excuses for scumbags?

Godswallop, ive travelled the length of the World. They have people like that everywhere. Different countries deal with it differently. Enforcement / cleanups . waste collection literally every morning on a beach or police enforcement.

Pretending that people are different elsewhere is burying your head in the sand. they are not different. the country deals with them or the problem differently.

And who is finding excuses ? im explaining the problem to you. Choose to pretend that other countries have 100% socially conscious individuals is nonsense.

TallGlass wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think the argument is mute. More bins are needed in general.

If people are putting waste into them from a house, that's not my problem, it's not my job to tell the council how to design a bin.

If worst comes to the worst, the county council, should go around with a truck on the beech and someone along side it and actually ask people have they any rubbish to get rid of.

And yes, some people are dirty pricks and want everything done for them.

Another question, we could be asking is where are the litter wardens? Send a few of them down to these hot spots and once word gets around, your problem will be over.

Education and enforcement are the way, spending money babysitting people who litter is a waste and nothing is learned.

Make people show records for paying for domestic waste disposal.
    More litter wardens enforcing littering and dog fouling

I photographed two individuals littering, including their registration plates. I had to repeatedly phone to push a conviction through and eventually two €80 fines were issues. But it was a torture to have it done. This should be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Education and enforcement are the way, spending money babysitting people who litter is a waste and nothing is learned.

Make people show records for paying for domestic waste disposal.
    More litter wardens enforcing littering and dog fouling

I photographed two individuals littering, including their registration plates. I had to repeatedly phone to push a conviction through and eventually two €80 fines were issues. But it was a torture to have it done. This should be easy.

First point, there are not enough bins. Simple as that, I walk the dog and I am carrying a bag of ****é around the place looking for one. You don't punish everyone that abuses the bins, you figure out a solution. Removing bins is stupid, the same people will just chuck it on the side of the road.

Literally, walk around Dublin 1 in the morning, there is an unmarked bin truck going around, road must be sweeped by road sweeper daily, best cleaned place around and it's still looks like a tip. And it's not even normal rubbish chucked on the side of the road, it's beds, TV stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

We like to think we’re this great little nation who the world loves.

Truth is we’re not, some are decent people but a lot have no personal responsibility, no pride in their country, are of the opinion someone else should clean up after them and pay for services.

Seems in the last 15 years the country has gone down the toilet bowl.

Selfish is the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

Where I live is a short walk from a main road with a lovely stand of trees and a bench. I had to get blue bags from the City Council so I can clean up the cans thrown around the bench of an evening by local kids. Well off kids, they want for nothing (materially that is). There's a bin a couple of yards away from said bench. Near the last place I lived, I cleaned the local small green space on a regular basis. Local kids, very well off, dropped their plastic bottles and other fast food trash on the grass. There's a bin a few yards from that space also. You could argue that there should be council workers around more regularly but why can't the perps just put their trash in the bins provided? I've lived abroad and it's a peculiarly Irish problem as far as I can see. Yes you would see it in poor socio-economic areas but it seems to be ubiquitous here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

I have a theory that it starts at the cinema when people are young. Everybody gets up and leaves their junk scattered around and this escalates to the outside world

Advertisement