Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaches left in an absolute STATE....why are we a filthy nation?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Every time I’m at the beach, I do the Two Minute Beach Clean thing. If many people got involved, it could make a big difference. Not that we shouldn’t be trying to educate people too. We can do both.
    No, but I wouldn't pick up somebody else's waste or pay to have it disposed myself. Unless it was part of a community clean up, I wouldn't do it - but if people had a sense of civic pride, I shouldn't have to do it.

Why not, YoungChap? You started this thread, littering is clearly something that bothers you. Not all Irish people are thoughtless filthy feckers. So it helps if those who aren't, tidy a bit as they go along. Some will discard anyway but others are encouraged if they see lots of others littering, so keeping places clean encourages those on the margins to take their stuff home.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    One of the biggest problem in this country is the lack of law enforcement . Nothing seems to have consequences and law breaking has no punishment or reprimand . The law might state not to litter but even if seen there are no consequences

Agree. Was at a well known coastal location yesterday, a beauty spot. Sitting on the rocks and watched a car pull up about 50 metres away and the occupants just throwing stuff out on the ground. Brazen and in broad view. I can report the reg but can/will anything be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

I shouldn't have to Barry. What we need is more enforcement and harsher punishments.

To be honest, I think anybody caught littering should be made be available for community service involving cleaning up litter for a few days. Then they might see the mess they are leaving.

I shouldn't have to Barry.

No, you or I or others shouldn't have to pick up others rubbish. But sometimes that's just the best solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Has anybody ever challenged people on leaving rubbish behind them? It is something I am very slow to do.

Another full bag of rubbish today - BBQ, cans, bottles, nappies, junk wrappers from local beauty spot. Left allegedly by travelers again. Some of these citizens do themselves absolutely no favours at all :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Has anybody ever challenged people on leaving rubbish behind them? It is something I am very slow to do.

I did a couple of times when I was street trading. A car parked near me and he threw his ice cream wrapper out of the window.. Right opposite the Garda Station too... He almost went into shock when I challenged him .Picked it up though..

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

I've challenged a couple of people on a local bog when we were walking dogs and they decided to dump their rubbish. They weren't in the act but it was pretty obvious black plastic bags, cardboard boxes clearly visible in the back of the minivan. At that point then its an argument about my rights and you've can't accuse me bull dung...then drive away at high speed with feigned exasperation that they'd have been accused in the wrong etc. etc.

My sister-in-law also confronted a neighbor after seeing her dumping a large black polythene bag about 2 miles from their house but right next to my brothers. She took the bag back to her house and dropped it in their yard telling her she'd lost this on the road. But then it was a your word against mine situation.

There really is no talking or reasoning with these people. One guy decided to claim the cost of rubbish was too much, yet his rubbish was filled with costly energy drink cans and beer bottles. Didn't appear to be a cost issue buying the crap, just disposing of it. And as previous posters have mentioned there is no consequence of being caught. And I assume its monkey see monkey do - so expect these peoples children to unfortunately be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

gctest50 wrote: »
    Being 2018 n stuff, use a beach cleaner

loads of stuff gets washed up anyway outside of
    bottles etc

And do you really think we should pay for that rather than change a mindset? How much would a fleet of them cost our public finances?

And do you really think we should pay for that rather than change a mindset?

Look at the amount of seaweed n all sorts that gets washed up :

https://twitter.com/leinster2009/status/1014400480942968838

How much would a fleet of them cost our public finances?

Look at the picture above, 2 trucks and how many hours was involved ? and there's whinging going on ????

Staff manually clear away waste with litter pickers seven days a week. Their job also involves continuously emptying bins on the beach during the day, keeping promenades, access stairs and ramps clean, and strimming grass edges where needed.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/how-stunning-north-east-beaches-14820416

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Our local park is left like a tip after a sunny day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP its alot down to the irish mentality there are bigger crimes out there. You cant fine people much for littering even if you catch them. Simple up fines that make a difference to the pocket. 500 euros etc for dropping wrapper etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement