Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaches left in an absolute STATE....why are we a filthy nation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And do you really think we should pay for that rather than change a mindset? How much would a fleet of them cost our public finances?

We need both tbf

People need to cop on and take home their ****

Those machines would be great for getting rid of old nets seaweed and stuff that washes up

zapitastas wrote: »
    I have a theory that it starts at the cinema when people are young. Everybody gets up and leaves their junk scattered around and this escalates to the outside world

I've always wondered why that's viewed as acceptable.

As a young'un myself i used to leave my sh*t behind me, though nowadays i pack everything up and throw it in the bin on the way out. Takes about 2 seconds (admittedly, I don't go rolling around the floor for dropped popcorn or such).

But I can't understand the concept that it's okay to leave a mess, on purpose, at the cinema. Bewilders me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It's a mindset.

I've seen people (adults and children) toss sandwich and sweet wrappers etc onto the street while they were right beside a bin - it was so casual and natural an action I'd say if you asked them they didn't even realise they'd done it.

Same with tossing cigarette butts and other rubbish out of a car window.

I despair of it all sometimes.

Agree. It used to annoy me so much also to see litter on the green in our estate. People obviously gave kids snacks (crisps, ice cream or whatever) and never wondered or wanted to know what they did with the wrappers. Ugh. Seems to have stopped, in more recent years, thankfully.

Litter is a huge issue, in my opinion. Recycling banks in some shopping centres are used as complete dumping grounds. Unless people actually do think the double bed mattress or broken television were suitable to be stuffed into bottle banks and clothes banks :rolleyes: :mad: and only realised their mistake when they got there...

I was waiting for a bus one evening recently on a busy city street. Plenty of bins around. A family passed by and further down the street, one of the children threw a plastic bottle from her hand...finished with her drink, sure what else would you do. She certainly had not been taught anything different.

It's disgusting.

There's a beach near me, Bettystown, which has recently had a white pickup truck with an amber lightbar and a 'beach warden' magnet stuck on the doors rolling around the place.

I dunno if it's been there for years, but I've only seen it recently (in the last 6 months). It drives up and down the beach slowly, lights usually flashing. I seen them putting cones out (and then taking them back in) one day, to direct cars onto the beach.

Other than that I've not seen them do anything at all. Seems like a handy job. I wonder would these chaps not drive around with a camera taking photos of everyone that has any kind of a mess made at all, so if that mess is left on the beach afterwards, they can associate it to a specific person/car and get a fine issued?

Or perhaps they already do that?

The 'beach warden' signs on the doors being magnets (ie; can be peeled off) leads me to believe it's not really a job and more just some poor sap was pushed into doing it on top of his/her other responsibilities, but nonetheless would like to see it used to create a deterrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Anyone who blames the state or council for not providing enough bins or not clearing out the bins fast enough is taking the **** and is only making up excuses for their revolting behaviour.

Japan has minimal bins and their streets are still clean.
    august12 wrote: »
    It all comes down to rearing in the home, it wouldn't matter a toss how many bins are available,

This.

In many Japanese schools they don't have janitors and the like. It's the duty of the pupils to clean up the school every day. This instills in them this responsibility of keeping everything clean wherever they go.

Irish parents could learn from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭denismc

What does my head in is people who go to the trouble of putting their dogs poop in a poop bag and then just leave it sitting on the beach.
    That bag of poop will sit there for months or years until some kid picks it up.

Anyone who blames the state or council for not providing enough bins or not clearing out the bins fast enough is taking the **** and is only making up excuses for their revolting behaviour.

This.

In many Japanese schools they don't have janitors and the like. It's the duty of the pupils to clean up the school every day. This instills in them this responsibility of keeping everything clean wherever they go.

Just watching the World Cup. Son turns to me and says that the Japanese fans clean up around them before they leave the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Because they’re being told that someone else will clear up after them and carry the cost of same.

They would almost describe it as theyre duty to create dirt for the person employed to clean up after them.
    It’s part of their life of rights and entitlements that they can enjoy public facilities without having to be concerned about menial concerns like the dirt and mess they create.
    Ruth Coppinger et al are telling them that they really shouldn’t have to pay to have their weekly household waste removed either, so why on earth would they think they would bring their soiled nappies home?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pricker

Well said. Totally agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

This.

Just watching the World Cup. Son turns to me and says that the Japanese fans clean up around them before they leave the stadium.

We had our own "clean up for the boys in green" in France a few years ago. The same people have probably since destroyed our own beaches, canals, rivers, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,074 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This.

I clean up after myself , always have done always will do . My family and friends also clean up after themselves .
    And I still think more bins should be provided and emptied more often . Not everyone does as we do and brings a bag for rubbish and they just might be encouraged to put their rubbish in a bin if it was there and empty
    How often do you see full bins in public places with rubbish placed beside it because it was full . Then along come the seagulls and pull it apart and spread it .
    Its easy for me to take a dirty nappy home in a bag in my car boot but not as easy for someone heading home on a bus with a ****ty nappy . If there was a bin there might be a better chance of the nappy not being dumped on the beach or grass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Our beaches have been left in an absolute state after the week of weather. Everything from BBQ's, bottles, cans, nappies, etc left on the beach.
    Why or how did we descend into such a nation of scumbags?
    The excuse "the bins were full" doesn't wash with the fact that such scumbags didn't even have the decency to leave their rubbish beside the bin.
    Has it seeped into our mindset that our rubbish is somebody else's problem?
    Why can't we have the decency to bring our rubbish home and dispose of it there?
    The proposal of the deposit on bottles is a starting point, but it still won't get us away from the fact that people seem to think it is not their responsibility to look after their own rubbish.
    I think as a nation we are fairly unique in this lack of pride in where we come from?
    Killiney beach at the weekend was disgusting with dog poo on the beach and on the walkways onto the beach. Dogs are not allowed on the beach and yet it is completely ignored.
    How or why did we descend into such savages with no respect for anybody else using our public amenities? Do people not think it is embarrassing that this is what we have become?

They behave this way because they don`t know any better. It was the way they were raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

While I agree with you I have to question where are all the bins on the beaches and how often are they emptied?

A lack of bins does NOT excuse littering sir! In a beautiful natural setting like a remote beach, I do not want to see bins anyway. The problem is ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭mobby

A lack of bins does NOT excuse littering sir! In a beautiful natural setting like a remote beach, I do not want to see bins anyway. The problem is ignorance.

Lack of bins is not excusing littering . But it certainly would help in my opinion to have the bins in car parks at beaches emptied more often . It just might encourage some to put their rubbish in the bin .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

There is an elephant in the room. There is a distinct socia economic band of people largely responsible for this litter.

Unless this is addressed, nothing will change.

One solution would be to introduce deposit refund on plastic bottles and cans.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its easy for me to take a dirty nappy home in a bag in my car boot but not as easy for someone heading home on a bus with a ****ty nappy . If there was a bin there might be a better chance of the nappy not being dumped on the beach or grass

Its just as easy for somebody heading home on a bus. Bring a plastic bag, tie it tight, voila. There would probably be a bin at the bus stop even.
    Doing anything else is an excuse. I think the socio economic point is a good one - as someone said, if you have listened to Ruth Coppinger saying you should be getting you rubbish picked up for free and your rubbish is somebody else's problem it is something that just becomes part of your psyche.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Blaming poor people is idiocy I've seen just as many dirtbirds in mercedes and range rovers drag their kids up.

Bad parenting isn't reserved to 'class' structures

Its just as easy for somebody heading home on a bus. Bring a plastic bag, tie it tight, voila. There would probably be a bin at the bus stop even.
    Doing anything else is an excuse. I think the socio economic point is a good one - as someone said, if you have listened to Ruth Coppinger saying you should be getting you rubbish picked up for free and your rubbish is somebody else's problem it is something that just becomes part of your psyche.

Look I am not excusing any of it , one single sweet wrapper is too much litter in my opinion . What I am saying is there are people who litter and always litter and some of them might use a bin if its there and emptied

listermint wrote: »
    Blaming poor people is idiocy I've seen just as many dirtbirds in mercedes and range rovers drag their kids up.

Agree, and I would say plenty of the dog sh1te on Killiney Beach is provided by a cohort of people who think it is somebody else's job to clean up after their pooch.

But I'd say they are more responsible for the dog sh1te than the rubbish.....in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

listermint wrote: »

There are no mercs or range rovers down at tramore or clonea you’ll find.
    Day trippers mostly from big towns in Waterford and Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Look I am not excusing any of it , one single sweet wrapper is too much litter in my opinion . What I am saying is there are people who litter and always litter and some of them might use a bin if its there and emptied

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

splinter65 wrote: »
    There are no mercs or range rovers down at tramore or clonea you’ll find.
    Day trippers mostly from big towns in Waterford and Tipperary.

Ya your right people of means don't spend time in Waterford. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It's a mindset.

I've seen people (adults and children) toss sandwich and sweet wrappers etc onto the street while they were right beside a bin - it was so casual and natural an action I'd say if you asked them they didn't even realise they'd done it.

Same with tossing cigarette butts and other rubbish out of a car window.

I despair of it all sometimes.

If you stand outside centra on Pearse street Dublin you can watch people litter in real time. Plenty of bins outside but not usually used.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No sense of social responsibility, I think there would need to be ad campaigns and litter wardens patrolling the well-known beaches doling out a few heavy fines to make a point.

I think the environment is very much a middle/upper class concern, the 'working class' who don't work don't quite care as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭_Puma_

No sense of social responsibility, I think there would need to be ad campaigns and litter wardens patrolling the well-known beaches doling out a few heavy fines to make a point.

I think the environment is very much a middle/upper class concern, the 'working class' who don't work don't quite care as much.

I disagree, i find local people are proud of their local community in general (exception of areas with social problems). Problems usually occur with the influx of people to beaches etc.. from outside the local communities during nice weather.

Majority of people in this country don't do personal responsibility in many walks of life, not just dumping and littering. This is not a just a "working class" thing. In general people couldn't give a toss. Excuses like the bin was full will always be the fallback of a person like this.

Enforcement of fines is the only way to address it. Zero tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I posted this in another thread a while back;

It’s part of my job to visit some out of the way places. I’m talking down country lanes, up bog roads and across some fields.

It never ceases to amaze me where people will fly tip their rubbish. These are lovely unspoiled areas and someone’s dragged a fridge or some old furniture and fcuked them into a ditch.

There seems to be a certain breed of people that just don't give a **** about anything. They're horrible, disgusting people who see beauty in nothing and want the world to be as **** as the inside of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭BobMc

Chinasea wrote: »
    There is an elephant in the room. There is a distinct socia economic band of people largely responsible for this litter.

Unless this is addressed, nothing will change.

One solution would be to introduce deposit refund on plastic bottles and cans.

Here in lies our problem, its this cohort of people responsible for most of these messes. Unfortunately our society has encouraged this group to expand rapidly over the last two decades and with their increase in numbers
    comes an increase in the problems they cause and even that's not limited to just littering, its general anti social behaviour. lack of normal respected morals etc., the list is endless.

Put it down then to ignorance, indifference, __________? (you pick your preferred term)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭8mv

Agreed - our intention when visiting beaches or other public places is to leave behind only our footprints...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BobMc wrote: »
    Here in lies our problem, its this cohort of people responsible for most of these messes. Unfortunately our society has encouraged this group to expand rapidly over the last two decades and with their increase in numbers
    comes an increase in the problems they cause and even that's not limited to just littering, its general anti social behaviour. lack of normal respected morals etc., the list is endless.

Put it down then to ignorance, indifference, __________? (you pick your preferred term)

The nice pc term is 'education'...personally, I think 'not giving a fcuk' to be more accurate.

Advertisement