Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaches left in an absolute STATE....why are we a filthy nation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭facehugger99

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Lack of bins is not excusing littering . But it certainly would help in my opinion to have the bins in car parks at beaches emptied more often . It just might encourage some to put their rubbish in the bin .

It would help but some people are ignorant.

I was driving past that park on the north quays near Heuston Station last week stuck in traffic.

There was a guy sitting on a bench in the park, full tracksuit during working hours so I would assume he was some kind of professional athlete. He took a sandwich out of a plastic wrapper and just fcuked the wrapper on the ground. There is a bin literally about 20 strides from the bench he was sitting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

People sitting in tracksuit bottoms around Heuston are not professional athletes, I can assure you of that......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,889 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

full tracksuit during working hours so I would assume he was some kind of professional athlete.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Probably the “most vulnerable” people in our society.

Bless them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Our beaches have been left in an absolute state after the week of weather. Everything from BBQ's, bottles, cans, nappies, etc left on the beach.

How or why did we descend into such savages with no respect for anybody else using our public amenities? Do people not think it is embarrassing that this is what we have become?

Couldn't agree more. It never ceases to amaze me just how utterly thoughtless some people are. We use a swimming spot by a local river, a privately owned meadow that has been used by generations in hot spells. Every year it's the same story, after a few days there's a spread of rubbish all the way from the gate to the banks. Picked a full bag of it the other day, including all the usual detritus including lots of recyclable bottles and cans. And of course, just as much and more is tossed into the river.

Some of this is just thoughtless littering by kids, one large mess was left recently a traveler family.

Seems to be just a culture with some people, they won't dirty their own gardens or houses but happy to do so elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,889 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

_Puma_ wrote: »
    I disagree, i find local people are proud of their local community in general (exception of areas with social problems).

More of a tidy towns sort of thing, still a middle class enclave. People with time on their hands yet willing to put in an effort, maybe dipping into their own pockets as well.

Any place with social problems...well...yeah...these are generally the so-called 'working class' areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It would help but some people are ignorant.

I was driving past that park on the north quays near Heuston Station last week stuck in traffic.

There was a guy sitting on a bench in the park, full tracksuit during working hours so I would assume he was some kind of professional athlete. He took a sandwich out of a plastic wrapper and just fcuked the wrapper on the ground. There is a bin literally about 20 strides from the bench he was sitting on.

top bombing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

My policy since childhood, drilled into me by example and school is to leave a place as you would like to find it. Even the dirtiest people would probably prefer to sit down/have a picnic in a clean spot; education at school from a young age, enforcement of litter laws and more bins with frequent emptying would go a long way to solving this problem. Don't anybody hold their breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Del.Monte wrote: »
    My policy since childhood, drilled into me by example and school is to leave a place as you would like to find it. Even the dirtiest people would probably prefer to sit down/have a picnic in a clean spot; education at school from a young age, enforcement of litter laws and more bins with frequent emptying would go a long way to solving this problem. Don't anybody hold their breath!

most of these scumbags would only laugh and belittle any poor sod cleaning up after them...

My way of dealing with such carry on would be a water cannon.

lawred2 wrote: »
    most of these scumbags would only laugh and belittle any poor sod cleaning up after them...

My way of dealing with such carry on would be a water cannon.

Most of these scumbags would only laugh at anybody working, let alone the lad cleaning up after them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,185 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was in primary school in England in the early 50s. A major project was started around that time 'Keep Britain Tidy' when everyone was bombarded with the message to not drop litter, to keep the place tidy. At the time this was a new kind of public advertising experiment, possibly inspired by war time messages/advertising/propeganda. Anyway it worked as far as I was concerned and at least one generation had a new respect for not littering.

Of course now we are so used to being overwhelmed by advertising of all sorts it would probably not be as effective, but a national project might not be the worst idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

listermint wrote: »
    Blaming poor people is idiocy I've seen just as many dirtbirds in mercedes and range rovers drag their kids up.

Bad parenting isn't reserved to 'class' structures

Not quite a beach but my dad recently followed a fly tipper from our ( very working class ) area to his beautiful malahide home to give him back his bag of rubbish ! Same git prob looks down his nose at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Lack of bins is not excusing littering . But it certainly would help in my opinion to have the bins in car parks at beaches emptied more often . It just might encourage some to put their rubbish in the bin .

Yes but beaches tend to be in out of the way places and council trucks would have to make frequent visits to the place to empty the bins. People should take their rubbish away with them. Sending around the council trucks adds to the carbon footprint of this country, congestion on the road, noise pollution and so on.

While it would be satisfying to catch these people in the act and to prosecute them, I think the best way is to change the mindset of the public so that they will not only take their own rubbish away but any other rubbish that might wash ashore from shipping and elsewhere.

While it would be satisfying to catch these people in the act and to prosecute them, I think the best way is to change the mindset of the public so that they will not only take their own rubbish away but any other rubbish that might wash ashore from shipping and elsewhere.

This is true and as someone who is wont to pick up random rubbish from the shore & ditches etc. and put it in our own waste, I agree.

However at present we here pay fixed charges for waste and recycling collections. When the government enforces the new pay by weight schemes for both, then civic minded individuals mightn't be so keen.

It's one thing to pick others rubbish but pay to dispose of it???????????? Let them wallow in it or let the council do it might be my view!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

How come some families dont litter and other families do, is it to do with your upbringing? i would never dream of leaving even a tissue on a beach. Are Irish people a little bit on the dirty side I wonder compared to other nations....I found when I came to Dublin first, sharing with people, I would be a lot cleaner, clean counter tops, not leave food uncovered etc yet people i lived with would leave toilets dirty, throw rubbish around, lets flies land on their food..girls were terrible for leaving mess..Wouldnt it be great if we had those guys patrolling called the eyes in the handmaid tale with big guns and if they see anybody throwing nappies and dog poo around they would be strung up on the wall for all to see....it is just all so depressing the litter.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

is ther any other country that leaves ther beaches in such a state after a bit of good weather ? as a regular all round beach user , why do some have such disregard for environment - by all means use our natural resources , but clean your ****ing waste - or ther will be no such natural facilities for future generations. Past few nights I have spent time cleaning up other peoples left behind waste(Thankless but necessary task)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

Just drive anywhere and you'll see peoples rubbish everywhere. I've returned home from living abroad for 6 years and its completely disgusting here. Yes other places have problems too, we're inundated with updates on the plastics problems in our oceans, but it appears to be a bloody epidemic here.
    Go to bogs, scenic sites, tourist areas, basically any street in Ireland and its the same story. Other than a few volunteers or people with some kind of conscience there appears to very very few who give a f**k. the beaches over the weekend is completely typical of that attitude. And that's not a class thing at all. Its across the board.
    We've often stood at an amazing scenery location admiring the view and then look down or left or right and its a mess of sweet wrappers, chip bags, cans, you name it. I don't get how people can stand there, admire that view just as we did, then finish their bag of crap and discard it onto the ground. Fair enough lack of bins can be an issue but that's no excuse to not put YOUR siht in a bag and bring it with you.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    However at present we here pay fixed charges for waste and recycling collections. When the government enforces the new pay by weight schemes for both, then civic minded individuals mightn't be so keen.

It's one thing to pick others rubbish but pay to dispose of it???????????? Let them wallow in it or let the council do it might be my view!

We pay by weight and I can absolutely guarantee you that even if I wasn't I feel a sense of civic duty to pay for the waste I generate and nothing will change that. Only a scumbag would think otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

listermint wrote: »
    Godswallop, ive travelled the length of the World. They have people like that everywhere. Different countries deal with it differently. Enforcement / cleanups . waste collection literally every morning on a beach or police enforcement.

Pretending that people are different elsewhere is burying your head in the sand. they are not different. the country deals with them or the problem differently.

And who is finding excuses ? im explaining the problem to you. Choose to pretend that other countries have 100% socially conscious individuals is nonsense.

When I first came to Ireland from Germany I stayed in Dublin for a few days.
    On my first walk around town I walked up to the traffic lights at the beginning of O'Connel Street on the Liffey side.
    I was utterly dumbfounded when the entire crowd of people waiting at the lights started to cross on a red light because there was a break in traffic.
    I find the Irish generally more impatient, less likely to follow rules and more likely to just ignore the rules in order to gain something for themselves.
    Long queue at the traffic lights? Use the buslane or right turn lane to skip the queue. Parent and child spaces at supermarkets? Fcuk that sh*t, I want to park here. Long queue at the till? I'll just push in. Rubbish? Just fcuk it on the ground. And of course the magic "park anywhere" lights on cars.
    I moved back to Germany nearly 25 years later and I was always on my guard and looking over my shoulder for people to jump ahead of me.
    I don't anymore. Why? Because no one does it here.
    Aldi and Lidl don't have any bollards to stop people blocking the door when they park 1 meter away from the entrance. In Ennis those bollards were driven over when people found out they were flimsy plastic.
    There is a huge difference. There is absolutely no denying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Anyone who blames the state or council for not providing enough bins or not clearing out the bins fast enough is taking the **** and is only making up excuses for their revolting behaviour.

Japan has minimal bins and their streets are still clean.

This.

In many Japanese schools they don't have janitors and the like. It's the duty of the pupils to clean up the school every day. This instills in them this responsibility of keeping everything clean wherever they go.

Irish parents could learn from this.

Ima just leave this here.

Team Japan Cleaned Their Locker Room & Left a Thank You Note After Losing World Cup

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Crap parenting.
    The 'it's their job' mentality.

Shortage of bins to put stuff in, or those that are there being full is a factor, but mainly it's these two. If there isn't a bin, take your crap home.

We pay by weight and I can absolutely guarantee you that even if I wasn't I feel a sense of civic duty to pay for the waste I generate and nothing will change that. Only a scumbag would think otherwise.

Sure, you pay for your own waste. Everyone should do that.

But will you pick up other's waste and pay to dispose of their's as well? That's the question I ask.

That may be one unintended consequence of pay by weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Aramicon

A few months ago I 'surveyed' about 100m of roadside along the N59 near Clifden with a camera, to see how much rubbish I could find.

http://donalkelly.com/photo-essay/photoessay-100-paces-roadside-rubbish/

There's layers of it, some now fully covered by grass, fresher stuff still on the surface. Everything from fast food wrapping to car parts, a set of glasses, gloves, tins, bottles, bits of pipe, a pregnancy test box... almost all of it would have been chucked out of passing car windows- sheer convenience.

Dealing with waste is a huge conversation that needs to look at industry, policy, cultural attitudes, education, etc. The supply side needs to be considered, too- the cost of potential dumping can, through policy should be partly factored into the cost? A recent RTE Investigates show pointed at serious regulation and private waste industry problems. In the countryside, there's still a huge amount of casual burning. Thankfully, the local collections of electronic waste have stopped a lot of the large item dumping- it's not that long ago when it was normal to leave a dead car to rot away in a field. But now we are producing and consuming vastly more general 'stuff': chemicals, plastics, rare-earth using gadgets.

Personally, I'd prefer if there was a supply-side focus on reducing waste and packaging, even at the expense of a degree of consumption (i.e. growth!), and a consumer awareness of exactly how every item should be dealt with along with clear (default) ways of doing so. Why do so many still only have one bin for everything? Could organic (food) waste be directed to local composting sites?

Along with this there could be a general ongoing education and media campaign to educate and highlight (not just indulge in periodic outrage)- the profit incentives of the makers of stuff and the handlers of waste will not do that for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The idea that this is an Irish only thing is ludicrous. Happens everywhere. Other countries have tractors out cleaning beaches every morning so you never really see it. I always put mine in a carry bag and dump in first bin I see.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Sure, you pay for your own waste. Everyone should do that.

But will you pick up other's waste and pay to dispose of their's as well? That's the question I ask.

That may be one unintended consequence of pay by weight.

No, but I wouldn't pick up somebody else's waste or pay to have it disposed myself. Unless it was part of a community clean up, I wouldn't do it - but if people had a sense of civic pride, I shouldn't have to do it.

The idea that this is an Irish only thing is ludicrous. Happens everywhere. Other countries have tractors out cleaning beaches every morning so you never really see it. I always put mine in a carry bag and dump in first bin I see.

It is nowhere near as big a problem elsewhere. It could be Irish people on holidays I suppose if they need to clean the beach in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

spurious wrote: »
    Crap parenting.
    The 'it's their job' mentality.

Shortage of bins to put stuff in, or those that are there being full is a factor, but mainly it's these two. If there isn't a bin, take your crap home.

It’s a type of thinking amongst a certain cohort.

Sure the council and the government will look after housing, litter,money, wiping my arse etc.

Never have to do anything for themselves.

Like spoiled kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It’s a type of thinking amongst a certain cohort.

Sure the council and the government will look after housing, litter,money, wiping my arse etc.

Never have to do anything for themselves.

Like spoiled kids.

You would be an asset on a beach !!!' Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

brookers wrote: »
    How come some families dont litter and other families do, is it to do with your upbringing? i would never dream of leaving even a tissue on a beach. Are Irish people a little bit on the dirty side I wonder compared to other nations....I found when I came to Dublin first, sharing with people, I would be a lot cleaner, clean counter tops, not leave food uncovered etc yet people i lived with would leave toilets dirty, throw rubbish around, lets flies land on their food..girls were terrible for leaving mess..Wouldnt it be great if we had those guys patrolling called the eyes in the handmaid tale with big guns and if they see anybody throwing nappies and dog poo around they would be strung up on the wall for all to see....it is just all so depressing the litter.....

Socio economic reasons, same reason that council estates / flats are always in bits and half of north dublin is just littered with bin bags despite free rubbish collection and active waste patrols by the councils.

Youll rare enough find a family with a 70k+ household income leaving things on the beach , anto and da boyzz from de flats will have the place trashed though because its what theyre used to in their home lives 'I don't have to do anything because the state looks after me' *(before anyone starts i never said all, im sure somebody will post here about the time they saw a lad throw a san peligrino can out of a range rover but come on youd have to be blind and have no sense of smell to think that there isnt a serious cleanliness divide between the gainfully employed and the unemployed)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I remember as a 9 or 10 year old I opened an ice pop and just dropped the wrapper on the ground as you do, my mother hit me the stingiest slap on the hand, it's still stinging 20 years later. Needless to say I don't litter anymore. Was brought up in a fairly rough council estate too.

Advertisement