Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Households To Produce Receipts For Waste Or Face Fines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

TheChizler wrote: »
    Soft plastic is no longer accepted for recycling here which now makes up 90% of my landfill waste; if you're recycling everything you're either incredibly disciplined when you do the shopping, or contaminating your recycling bin unfortunately.

Soft plastics aren't taken at your recycling center?

And yes, I am incredibly disciplined, as everyone should be. Even use fruit and veg peelings as compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sexmag wrote: »
    I know many people who have little to no waster, they recycle most things, use composters and intenionally buy things that they wont have to bin.

I think this will be for mainly for areas where dumping is prominant and only in cases of complaints

Yes I was thinking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You’re forgetting that renters don’t pay property tax.

Yes but the landlord can and should ask for receipts from the renters which the landlord, in turn, should send back with the property tax.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Everything isn't. Nappies, certain plastics, ashes, tin foil....

Nappies are a whole separate matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

seamus wrote: »
    So keep the receipts.

What's the problem?

I see no issue with this whatsoever.

I love how you call this out as a cash grab by FG but provide no indication whatsoever of how the government makes money from this.

Said poster blames FG for everything on every post.

The agenda is unreal.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    Composter, however, you need two composters to really make it work it is possible to nearly recycle everything you need a fair bit of outdoor space and a couple of bins a huge amount can be brought to a bring center for recycling.

The bottom line though is that it takes work, origination, and time and the vast majority are not going to do that when they can put the bin out for 30/40 euro a month.

We were raised to that way. They need to teach it in schools as is is so vital to the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Anyone see you pics of the beaches and the state they were left in.

This country needs a kick up the whole when it comes to litter and waste.

Some horrible selfish people out there who don’t give a **** about anything or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Said poster blames FG for everything on every post.

The agenda is unreal.
    Also ignores the fact that these rules have been in place in the Sinn-Fein/Labour controlled DCC area for a number of years, as well as in other city/county councils.

The national legislation simply creates a consistent approach across all local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nappies are a whole separate matter.

A waste, which is plentiful, and which is what this thread is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We can be very wasteful without thinking, took the kitchen sink basin into the shower with me because of the hosepipe ban I was amazed at the amount of water I got. Going to use it to water the roses.

Rhyme wrote: »
    We have no bins at home, everything we buy is recyclable and dropped off every 2-3 weeks in the recycling centre in Swords. If we were to get a letter in the door, in return they'd get a photo of the bins we keep in our shed (paper, card, hard plastic, tetra pak, tins, other metals etc).

I can see the point though, fly-tipping and littering are disgusting acts and should be punished severely. They represent a complete lack of civic pride, a selfishness that doesn't belong in society.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/illegal-dumping-kerry-beauty-spots-continues-double-bed-found-conor-pass/

Previously many bags of rubbish were tipped over the edge of the car park at the top there ; almost impossible to retrieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Soft plastics aren't taken at your recycling center?.

The latest recycling guidelines have soft plastic going into general refuse. China is not taking our recycling anymore and we don’t have recycling facilities in country.

It’s a disgrace that we can’t recycle soft plastics here. I’m very conscious about recycling & having to put soft plastics in the general rubbish bin really annoys me.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/consumer-guide-to-what-s-recyclable-and-what-isn-t-in-household-recycling-bins-1.3425410

Our neighbors have a skip on the road the moment because of renovations that they are carrying out. Every morning there is some new bag of rubbish dumped in it. It honestly makes you wonder what is wrong with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

If you walk or cycle on any country road, no matter how isolated, you'll see something thrown in the verge or hedge rows every few meters. Every entrance to forests, bogs etc will have a load of rubbish fly tipped. Look at the roads on a Sunday morning ....cans and chipper packaging everywhere. I have no problem with the proposal but as part of an overall waste management plan. Recycling of electronics and banning of excessive or needless packaging need to be looked at. High taxes on plastic packaging would change things a lot overnight.

We can be very wasteful without thinking, took the kitchen sink basin into the shower with me because of the hosepipe ban I was amazed at the amount of water I got. Going to use it to water the roses.

I used to use an old baby bath for that ...great idea

Went golfing over the weekend. Sprinklers working perfectly keeping the greens moist, and that was after I passed the garden centre which also had its sprinkler system on.

Sometimes the hosepipe ban is directed at the wrong user.

A waste, which is plentiful, and which is what this thread is about.

Exactly . so? Need to go back to proper nappies.

I agree. But it won't happen.

We're living in a throw away society.

No amount of waste saving is worth the torture that would be proper nappies, it will thankfully never happen. I still hear the older generations of my family talk about the absolute hardship of it to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Yes but the landlord can and should ask for receipts from the renters which the landlord, in turn, should send back with the property tax.

Why should they, its not their responsibility.
    Do they have to check if their tenants have a TV licence or their car is taxed, No they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Funny that, we were just talking about it yesterday. Living in a rural area, on my trips to the surrounding towns there is an awful lot of illegally disposed litter. The worst is the stretch from Tullow to Carlow where people seemingly throw the black bags out of the car on the road, it's permanently full of rubbish there.

I appreciate that there are many genuine cases where people dispose of their rubbish themselves in a legal way. The problem is the big p1ss take that's happening. Our local recycling centre is in constant jeopardy because people pull up and just throw their normal household waste into containers that need to stay sorted, otherwise they can't sell the rubbish on and if that's not happening the centre has to close.
    I also understand the lack of public bins, even though incredibly annoying, I see that certain people would see it as their personal dumping ground.

When my dad visited me in February he was shocked that there's so much litter around. He couldn't understand that there's no general courtesy and hard fines to scare people off. I had to explain long and hard how it works here.

Whatever it takes to get on top of littering really, it's such a disgrace and disgusting behaviour that threatens nature and wildlife, if they only need a receipt of mine, so be it. Rather that than having littered ditches and woods.

Went golfing over the weekend. Sprinklers working perfectly keeping the greens moist, and that was after I passed the garden centre which also had its sprinkler system on.

Sometimes the hosepipe ban is directed at the wrong user.
    To be fair, these are businesses whose existence depends on being able to maintain the plant life.

Your grass going yellow and your B & Q flowers withering and dying is annoying, but it doesn't really cost you anything but your time.

For a golf course or a garden centre, even a week in drought could cost tens of thousands of euro.

No amount of waste saving is worth the torture that would be proper nappies, it will thankfully never happen. I still hear the older generations of my family talk about the absolute hardship of it to this day.
    Agreed. This is probably something that will be next up on the hit list; someone is very quickly going to need to find a way to develop nappies that biodegrade properly.

I think my Dad still has PTSD from the amount of repair work he had to do on washing machines over the years. Apparently ****-stained nappies and sudocrem absolutely destroy any parts that are rubber or plastic.

Strangely enough, the roses don’t seem too bothered by the lack of rain. Mine are brilliant this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

dudara wrote: »
    The latest recycling guidelines have soft plastic going into general refuse. China is not taking our recycling anymore and we don’t have recycling facilities in country.

It’s a disgrace that we can’t recycle soft plastics here. I’m very conscious about recycling & having to put soft plastics in the general rubbish bin really annoys me.

Wow. First I heard of that.

Ballymount is my local and they still had a container for soft plastics up until three weeks back at least.

Their site still says they accept soft plastics too........

spr.png

If they stop accepting them I certainly cut down on buying anything with soft plastic. I already did a little. I even buy those biodegradable bags for packed lunches and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

seamus wrote: »
    Also ignores the fact that these rules have been in place in the Sinn-Fein/Labour controlled DCC area for a number of years, as well as in other city/county councils.

The national legislation simply creates a consistent approach across all local authorities.

So are you saying it was a success there, or are you saying if one pays we should all pay even if it is a total failure ??

Anyone who thinks this is anything more than just another stealth tax needs their head examined. This won't stop the scumbags tossing their litter on the road side. Proper enforcement andlarge fines or jail terms are the only way. Make the polluter pay !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Soft plastics aren't taken at your recycling center?

And yes, I am incredibly disciplined, as everyone should be. Even use fruit and veg peelings as compost.
    Unfortunately not, as dudara points out they stopped accepting them anywhere recently.

Unless you restrict yourself hugely you can't avoid soft plastic in a supermarket.

I'm seeing more and more about the soft plastic problem in the news recently, hopefully a critical mass is reached soon for the EU to do something about it. Let's face it, change won't be consumer led as most people don't give a crap, and we import too many goods for Ireland to lead a ban or restrictions in a meaningful way.

I also go to huge trouble to separate compostable materials. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference as the food waste bins in our park (shared bins) which we only got this year have never been collected, and are overflowing with general waste and plastic bags from people who just don't give a damn. I've witnessed everything go into the same compartment in the truck on collection day, the recycling is just too contaminated to be collected separately.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    So are you saying it was a success there, or are you saying if one pays we should all pay even if it is a total failure ??
    I'm making the point that this isn't a "Fine Gael inventing nonsense and making a cash grab" initiative as another poster seems to think it is. This initiative has been implemented at a local level by other political parties, the government are simply adapting it to ensure a consistent approach is taken nationally.

Whether it's effective I can't say, but I completely support these rules being on the books. Fly tippers are some of the worst dirtbags around. The rock bottom of anti social behaviour.
    Anyone who thinks this is anything more than just another stealth tax needs their head examined. This won't stop the scumbags tossing their litter on the road side. Proper enforcement andlarge fines or jail terms are the only way. Make the polluter pay !!
    Where's the "stealth tax" here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Literally everything in the supermarket is wrapped in some sort of soft plastic. Most fruit and veg is, if you need a bag for the loose stuff, soft plastic it is. Your cereal, your meat, your rice cakes are all wrapped in soft plastic.
    On Friday I thought I'm gonna treat myself and bought some chocolate brioche buns (which were disgusting btw), they were wrapped in a big plastic bag and each individual one was wrapped in a smaller plastic wrapper too.

Please plastic-free people, tell me how you do it to do your weekly shop plastic free within a certain budget.

• Advertisement

What’s that I can hear in the distance?

No way.

We won’t pay.

Peaceful protest.

Leo, Leo, Leo. Ou, Ou, Ou.

Though, I do think that it’s too close to a General Election for protest.

Advertisement