Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire vs Aus - Test Number Three

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Think they should maybe ban lifting from kickoffs and restarts. leave it a contest between lads jumping themselves. one person lifting a person has very little control over him with any contact to him. sort of think Folau a bit hard done by

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

2smiggy wrote: »
    Think they should maybe ban lifting from kickoffs and restarts. leave it a contest between lads jumping themselves. one person lifting a person has very little control over him with any contact to him. sort of think Folau a bit hard done by
    Sure there can be lifts in lineouts by just one person. Should lifting in lineouts be banned then?
    I think allowing a lift in open play should be continued.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Or people can stop pulling down players in the air like Folau did.

Hard done by. My word.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sure there can be lifts in lineouts by just one person. Should lifting in lineouts be banned then?

Very different things (line outs and open play) to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think single man lifts should be banned in the line out but there's a big difference between two men being lifted side by side for a ball (supposedly) thrown directly between them and one man being lifted into the air as a ball comes at him whilst another team sprints at top speed to try and deflect the ball back on their side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I don't think Folau was hard done by at all. Three times (that I saw), he did the same thing. Left a hand on the body of his opponent as he was jumping through and made sure to topple them. All done very casually as if by accident. Hope they double it on appeal. :)

they are not colliding at pace in the line outs.

Folau was able to jump thew same height himself as O'Mahony being lifted. Any collisions and O'Mahony probably more of risk of an injury due to relying on one person lifting him. Just a thought than 1 on 1 contests might lead to less injuries from restarts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Very different things (line outs and open play) to be fair.
    I know. Just dont agree with making any changes in law here
    Buer wrote: »
    I don't think single man lifts should be banned in the line out but there's a big difference between two men being lifted side by side for a ball (supposedly) thrown directly between them and one man being lifted into the air as a ball comes at him whilst another team sprints at top speed to try and deflect the ball back on their side.
    Oh certainly.
    they are not colliding at pace in the line outs.

Folau was able to jump thew same height himself as O'Mahony being lifted. Any collisions and O'Mahony probably more of risk of an injury due to relying on one person lifting him. Just a thought than 1 on 1 contests might lead to less injuries from restarts
    And how many players can do like Folau can?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Perhaps, but it would leave the person on the receiving team at a big disadvantage vs the guy who has had time to build up momentum and a head of steam for his leap. I do think folau deserved it too though like the poster about, it was repeated and deliberate what he was doing.

And how many players can do like Folau can?

Not many in fairness. freakishly athletic !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I don't think Folau was hard done by at all. Three times (that I saw), he did the same thing. Left a hand on the body of his opponent as he was jumping through and made sure to topple them. All done very casually as if by accident. Hope they double it on appeal. :)

Absolutely. O'Mahony could have broken his neck. It was a cheap and dirty shot. That kind of on-going sh1te doesn't make Folau a hard man, it makes him a pr1ck.

If Folau catches the ball, still collides with POM, POM lands on his neck, is that grand?

If Folau catches the ball, still collides with POM, POM lands on his neck, is that grand?
    Yeah, it is. Even if he doesn't catch the ball and collides with POM, if the contest is genuine it's fine too. But catching POM with the hand or arm and pulling him down is not fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

I do tend to agree re Re-starts lifting any where other than line out should not be allowed causes alot of accidents and mid air collisions that have one man static and another at full tilt . In open play both usually are on the move claiming the ball on the front foot rather than going backwards or static in the air where the risk is multiplied

• Subscribers Posts: 41,229 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    I do tend to agree re Re-starts lifting any where other than line out should not be allowed causes alot of accidents and mid air collisions that have one man static and another at full tilt . In open play both usually are on the move claiming the ball on the front foot rather than going backwards or static in the air where the risk is multiplied

so if POM is static waiting for the ball to land on him, and Folau gets a running jump, catches POM in the head with his boot and twists through 180 and lands on his head, POM gets sent off.

One man lifting is absolutely fine once the player in the air isnt fouled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ArmchairQB wrote: »

The challenge in the air didn’t cause the problem here, neither did movement or the fact POM was static. The issue was caused by foul play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

. That kind of on-going sh1te doesn't make Folau a hard man, it makes him a pr1ck.

Add it to the pile...

Folau's ban upheld on appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Folau's ban upheld on appeal.

I just don't get the outrage over it from down under. It's as clear as day that he played POM in the air and that POM landed in a dangerous position. This is as clear cut a case as you can get. He's lucky in my view to only get a week as he committed the same offence on 3 separate occasions, so it was clearly deliberate, cynical and was incredibly dangerous. He showed absolutely zero concern for the welfare of the player he was targeting multiple times.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I just don't get the outrage over it from down under. It's as clear as day that he played POM in the air and that POM landed in a dangerous position. This is as clear cut a case as you can get. He's lucky in my view to only get a week as he committed the same offence on 3 separate occasions, so it was clearly deliberate, cynical and was incredibly dangerous. He showed absolutely zero concern for the welfare of the player he was targeting multiple times.
    It's not just down under. I think Jason Robnson was tweeting about 'the end of competition in the air' or some such hysterical nonsense. There wouldn't have been a hint of a problem if Folau had both hands up going for the ball and just collided wiith POM. But he lost the contest and decided to take a cheap shot anyway. Three tmes. And apparently he's done it a few times in Super Rugby as well, going by some of the comments on The Roar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's not just down under. I think Jason Robnson was tweeting about 'the end of competition in the air' or some such hysterical nonsense. There wouldn't have been a hint of a problem if Folau had both hands up going for the ball and just collided wiith POM. But he lost the contest and decided to take a cheap shot anyway. Three tmes. And apparently he's done it a few times in Super Rugby as well, going by some of the comments on The Roar.

That's just thuggish behaviour then. If guys were throwing sly digs on the ground like that the general consensus would be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

One week was nowhere near enough. He should have been looking at 4 minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Matt Williams is adamant Folau got banned for his outrageous skill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Matt Williams is adamant Folau got banned for his outrageous skill

It is outrageous skill, most second rows are looking at his technique in awe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Burkie1203 wrote: »

And the circus continues.

This was boring before it started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

She's right, in fairness.

She's right, in fairness.
    Yeah, but it's a yellow card at worst and Kearney only did it once. Folau did it three times. Two of which were deemed yellow cards. Which added up to a red. If she's tryiing to compare sanctions, she's wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah, but it's a yellow card at worst and Kearney only did it once. Folau did it three times. Two of which were deemed yellow cards. Which added up to a red. If she's tryiing to compare sanctions, she's wrong.

Compard to the utter hysteria on this thread about what Folau did, I think his wife saying "is this a fair tackle?" is pretty reasonable tbh.

• Advertisement

Compard to the utter hysteria on this thread about what Folau did, I think his wife saying "is this a fair tackle?" is pretty reasonable tbh.
    I don't recall much hysteria tbh, but I was away for the match and only caught up afterwards.

But Folau had three bites of that particular cherry and from what I understand from comments in The Roar, he did the same thing against the Reds a few weeks ago which resulted in a concussion to the player involved. So I have no sympathy for him and his wife's whataboutery is just that.

Advertisement