Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire vs Aus - Test Number Three

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

In fairness. After the first test, there was fifty pages of Irish fans moaning about the ref. After the second, we probably got it down to forty.

The Aussies are no worse than us.

After this test we should be back up to 50.....

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    But has tried to put the blame solely on Stander. Folau has been cited and Williams is claiming it shouldn't even be a card. If you look at the leap by POM he isn't really lifted. He makes that jump himself mainly. Folau puts both his hands on PoM and drags him from his upper body. That shifts his weight backwards

I'm not sure how you're saying he tried to put the blame solely on Stander, I really didn't get that from the recording I listened to today.

Re. Falou getting cited, I'll say two things on that:
    1. Many, many players have been cited and cleared
    2. Williams isn't the only one who said he didn't think the incident merited a card

Falou is entitled to go for the ball and I haven't seen any replays that suggest his eyes were anywhere but on the ball in flight up to the point of contact. Stander is partially responsible for this incident because of how he lifts, where he's gripping and how he keeps hold of O'Mahony at the moment of impact - whether you think so or not. His grip (one-handed) causes him to rotate as he does when he and Falou make contact, and because of that grip he doesn't have the required level of control to execute a safe/safer landing.

BTW, Falou was not cited for this incident, he was cited for the incident in the 9th minute. Similar incident admittedly, but not the incident most people assume. Ironically Stander has a two handed grip here and was in more control of O'Mahony's landing.

As I said in my first post I agree with you that Williams can talk some level of shoyte at times, but I don't think this is one of those times.

Don't stress about the Aussies whinging lads. That's just what they do. The problem with them is they follow sports where they're expected to win every match as in League, Cricket amd back in the day Rugby. They can't get their arrogant head around the fact that lowly Ireland beat them because they pay no attention to anything outside their own country therefore they haven't realised that we are a genuine force now in world rugby all that was evident in the lead up to game one with comments from players saying they don't know anything about the Irish players because why should they? They're gonna win anyway. When they didn't get the 2022 soccer world cup they were genuinely outraged and surprised because "this is Straya we are the sporting capital of the world" even though they were never going to get it.

New Zealand is also like this, from a rugby perspective. A big part of this, though, is that it is much harder to follow European rugby from NZ/Aus than the other way around.

When I was in NZ, you'd have to stay up through the night to watch the 6 nations, whereas here you can watch the rugby championship at a reasonable hour on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

BTW, Falou was not cited for this incident, he was cited for the incident in the 9th minute. Similar incident admittedly, but not the incident most people assume. Ironically Stander has a two handed grip here and was in more control of O'Mahony's landing.

He was actually cited because he got an effective double yellow. He got a citing commissioner's warning for the 9th minute incident, post match and that, coupled with the actual yellow triggered an automatic citing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Who is Falou?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Who is Falou?

You mean to tell me you have no idea who one of Austria's most important players is?

Billy86 wrote: »
    You mean to tell me you have no idea who one of Austria's most important players is?

Pocock! He's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Steve wrote: »
    248e82a7ecdeb5df7f64cd56fd6c5260?width=1024

israel-folau-and-peter-omahony-contest-a-restart-4-752x501.jpg

Yeah, definitely accidental... :rolleyes:

I think it's perfectly clear what the problem is:

We got the wrong South African.

https://youtu.be/DhskvFHeb6Y

dited wrote: »
    I think it's perfectly clear what the problem is:

We got the wrong South African.

https://youtu.be/DhskvFHeb6Y

Nah, they got the right Zimbabwean.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He was actually cited because he got an effective double yellow. He got a citing commissioner's warning for the 9th minute incident, post match and that, coupled with the actual yellow triggered an automatic citing.

I’ll bow to your greater knowledge on this as I’m in bed and on the phone and too tired to check elsewhere for verification. It’s different to what I read earlier on the bbc.com page but fair enough, sounds plausible.

The point I was making was that people assumed he was (only/solely) cited for the incident in the 31st minute, which isn’t the case.

• Advertisement

Who is Falou?

Apologies for what I assume is a dig at me for spelling Folau incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What ever about the yellow card incident, the whining about the decision at the end is almost beyond parody. Nobody can look at that incident and say the ball was deflected. It was thrown badly and went to touch. There’s even complaints that the TMO ended the match and that’s up to the ref. In fact the siren had blown and since it went to touch in a non penalty situation the game was over. Also he just advised the ref of that and the ref blew it up.

They seem to think they would have definitely scored. The article from the NZ paper ( written by an Australian) is symptomatic of the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pocock! He's one.
    Woooooosh. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Nah, they got the right Zimbabwean.

I think Australia did, tbf!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I actually won a fiver from this - bet a friend as soon as Stockdale was carded that if Australia did the exact same they would not see yellow for it. Lo and behold, Folau (who already was lucky not to have been sent off for a penalty the ref seemed to want to dismiss as a knock on against POM) goes and does the exact same thing around the 79th minute, and not even a penalty is called.

I rewatched the game last night and couldn't spot this incident. Do you have a link to it or a more exact time that it happened?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I rewatched the game last night and couldn't spot this incident. Do you have a link to it or a more exact time that it happened?

I think it's when larmour out did folau in the air, folau followed up with a forearm to the throat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The videos of Larmour’s catch that were posted earlier, Folau leads with his forearm when Larmour comes to ground. It’s nothing like the Stockdale one, as he wasn’t in possession, he hit an exposed player leading with his elbow and forearm. Where as Stockdale’s was more an error trying to raise to arm for a hand off.

I wondered if it was that incident but to me that looks like his arms are in a position to catch the ball but Larmour beats him. Very different from Stockdale. He raises his arm to push away a defender and strikes him in the throat. Accidental but that is always going to be a penalty and a card. If that is the incident the OP is referring to then he is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Is there anywhere online to watch the 3 games??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

They are the worst losers in the world and that is absolutely no exaggeration, this stuff is absolutely standard from them.

Saw some other Aussie bloke going on a mad one after the game on twitter about Ireland collaborating with the nazis and shooting at australian ships off the coast of Ireland during WWII. Needless to say, his account had a lot of rugby posts. :pac:

I think he confused us with New Ireland. Oh well, only about 15,000 km difference, give or take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Folau on Henshaw at the very end of the match. 79.50 on the clock.

padraig.od wrote: »
    Folau on Henshaw at the very end of the match. 79.50 on the clock.

Thanks. Just watched it there. It looked like Henshaw got hit with the ball carrying arm and I couldn't really tell where the contact was. Its hard to see because there is only one angle and it happens quite quickly but I don't think it was the same as Stockdale's strike on Phipps.

That James Ryan is some player. He might even be as good as Scott Barrett :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That James Ryan is some player. He might even be as good as Scott Barrett :D

Who? Is that Brad Barrett’s brother?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Neil3030 wrote: »
    POM was down injured. Sexton was telling the ref something like, "when he's down I'm captain, I know you hate me but you have to go to me".
    Steve wrote: »
    AFAIK JS's comment was in relation to him assuming the Captain role after Peter O’Mahony went off.

Pretty sure this is what he said:

53697461.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

So Folau got a one week suspension for his duplicate hits on POM in the air. I was watching the third test back and noticed that he'd done the same to Devin Toner for which (I think) a penalty was given. It wasn't clear because the ref called it back seemingly on the basis of a call from one of the ARs. He had his hand on Toner's chest as he jumped through whch pulled Toner over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So Folau got a one week suspension for his duplicate hits on POM in the air. I was watching the third test back and noticed that he'd done the same to Devin Toner for which (I think) a penalty was given. It wasn't clear because the ref called it back seemingly on the basis of a call from one of the ARs. He had his hand on Toner's chest as he jumped through whch pulled Toner over.

Folau has gotten lucky. His yellow and the citing commissioner's warning are the equivalent of a red and an automatic one match ban. I'd say it's a political decision by WR considering the hullabaloo around officiating throughout the Summer tours. The Aussies have been stamping their feet a lot and the last thing WR wanted was anymore bad publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

He's appealing the one game ban

Advertisement