Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

What's the advantages of these ROMs? Ok so I know about ad blocking, CPU/GPU over locking/under clocking etc.

I used to do it a lot back in the day, XDA being my favourite haunt.

But to be honest in the end I found it too much effort and troublesome in the long run. Too much hair pulling and late nights spent recovering my phone so it'd be usable the following day!

Maybe it's an old bug I'll find myself falling back into with the redmi note 5!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

"Select to speak" will not work on my RN5.
    The floating icon will just not appear on the home screen.
    Has anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I needed to restart the phone after enabling it in settings before the icon appeared

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Is there any youtube video on setting this up or can it be used straight out of the box? Or any must have apps that we wouldnt have ever considered before to enhance the phone.....have 0 interest in rooting the phone though...thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭corkie

biebiebie wrote: »
    What's the advantages of these ROMs? Ok so I know about ad blocking, CPU/GPU over locking/under clocking etc.

I used to do it a lot back in the day, XDA being my favourite haunt.

But to be honest in the end I found it too much effort and troublesome in the long run. Too much hair pulling and late nights spent recovering my phone so it'd be usable the following day!

Maybe it's an old bug I'll find myself falling back into with the redmi note 5!!

Probably a matter of choice for some people. Custom roms offer more customization or stock android over MIUI. I used MIUI (Xiaomi.eu) over a year on my kenzo and was happy enough with it until, latest android version was no longer available for it.

Main reason i use them now, there is support for xposed, trusted devices, etc. Plus lack of MIUI adware/spyware on custom roms. MIUI has software from a untrusted Cheetah Mobile source builtin. Cleaner app and Game boost are examples.

Got use to custom rom and xposed on my Kenzo and wanted the same features on WHYRED.

@captain_boycott replied to you, I can not assist you because not using MIUI. But if you can not get MIUI implementation to work have you tried the talkback app as an alternative?

Is there any youtube video on setting this up or can it be used straight out of the box? Or any must have apps that we wouldnt have ever considered before to enhance the phone.....have 0 interest in rooting the phone though...thanks in advance

Can be used out of the box, but maybe consider debloating it of some apps.

Rooting is required for GCam Ports apps. which are the only apps that i can think of to enhance the device.

If you don't like MIUI launcher, maybe a custom one.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Happy to buy the note 5 Pro this weekend, don't want a custom ROM. Where's best place to buy that doesn't take weeks to deliver?

Thanks,
    Pa

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Happy to buy the note 5 Pro this weekend, don't want a custom ROM. Where's best place to buy that doesn't take weeks to deliver?

Thanks,
    Pa

Honorbuy have a quick turn around from Order to delivery.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

corkie wrote: »
    Plus lack of MIUI adware/spyware on custom roms. MIUI has software from a untrusted Cheetah Mobile source builtin. Cleaner app and Game boost are examples.

So is this device really safe to get without installing a custom rom if MIUI has such issues?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mmatz

Hi,

Mine arrived from Goldway right this morning. Exactly 10 days since I ordered it.

ryaner777 wrote: »

They fit really well and all the holes are cut out correctly in case anyone was wondering.

@ryaner777, is this the type of screen protector you got from honorbuy (black version perhaps)?

xlghE8.png

If so, then think you'll find on closer inspection, unless mine & others were part of a bad batch, that whilst the openings are there, they are not cut out over the camera or the light detector, resulting in glare in selfies and also the auto-brightness feature not working very well

SYIgia.png

• Advertisement

+1 for honorbuy, or also same 48hour turnaround from geekbuying if you select the IT warehouse.

Thanks, was just about to order and noticed that's the 5 and not the 5 pro. Can't find the pro version on Honorbuy.

On https://www.kimovil.com/ it's coming up as 'not available'....hhhmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Have another issue today with my RN5. The Wi-Fi range is poor.
    I lose signal just outside my back door which is only 9 metres from the modem.
    Have checked our other Wi-Fi devices and they all have a longer range.

Thanks, was just about to order and noticed that's the 5 and not the 5 pro. Can't find the pro version on Honorbuy.

its the Note 5 Global version you are after, not the pro (the Pro is for the India market)

its the Note 5 Global version you are after, not the pro (the Pro is for the India market)

Thanks. So the Pro, which has a better camera/dual lenses is for the Indian market and the global version doesn't- correct?

If so it's probably still the best all rounder Android for that price- correct? If so I'll go for it anyway.

Pa

Thanks. So the Pro, which has a better camera/dual lenses is for the Indian market and the global version doesn't- correct?

Pa

Xiaomi sure don't make it easy with their different model numbers in different markets! But to clarify, the RN5 Global version has dual lens camera/636 snapdragon processor

Xiaomi sure don't make it easy with their different model numbers in different markets! But to clarify, the RN5 Global version has dual lens camera/636 snapdragon processor

Thanks for the quick reply. It's a 'fair bit' larger than my MI5S but I'm sure I'll adjust to it.

Now to find as slim a case that'll protect it from falls and I'm done.

Now to find as slim a case that'll protect it from falls and I'm done.

See Corkies post #341. I've ordered one, just hope it arrives before I drop it! In the meantime, the Note 5 comes with a gel case included so at least it has some protection

If so it's probably still the best all rounder Android for that price- correct? If so I'll go for it anyway.

Pa

I Know it doesn't look like it when comparing specs, but the Global/Chinese RN5 version has better camera's than the Indian RN5 Pro (Only available in India, because they have Redmi 5 Plus rebranded as RN5).

Just like the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro, the Redmi Note 5 launched in China also sports a 12-megapixel primary rear camera with 1.25μm pixel size sensor, but it flaunts a larger aperture of f/1.9 as compared to f/2.2. The secondary snapper on the back remains the same 5-megapixel sensor. The phone also comes with Dual PD dual-core speed focus for accurate and fast focusing on the subject. However, the handset has a 13MP front snapper as compared to the 20MP shooter on the Indian version.

https://hub.91mobiles.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-china-launch-price-features-specifications/

jgbyr wrote: »
    So is this device really safe to get without installing a custom rom if MIUI has such issues?
    Thanks

As safe as nearly any other device, that may have apps that call home features. Been aware of the Issue's, you take steps to avoid the apps calling home.

As safe as nearly any other device, that may have apps that call home features. Been aware of the Issue's, you take steps to avoid the apps calling home.
    Any guide to accomplish this Corkie?
    Sorry if you already linked to it.
    I've taken note of the debloat link on Reddit, not sure if that covers the home call? Or does that need the flashing of a ROM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I've taken note of the debloat link on Reddit, not sure if that covers the home call? Or does that need the flashing of a ROM?

The easiest way is to reflash the whole ROM, otherwise you're trying to disable individual apps and services.

Which ROM is closest to original MIUI but has the home call removed then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'd recommend this http://en.miui.com/

But Corkie might have better suggestions

[MIUI] Debloating and Stop apps from reporting home.

fixxxer wrote: »
    The easiest way is to reflash the whole ROM, otherwise you're trying to disable individual apps and services.

Reflashing a rom, would probably restore removed apps.

Xiaomi.eu is a rom based on China MIUI with most of the debloating done. (Although still has some apps and reports it is not stable on the whyred at present)

^^^ There is others but not as popular such MiUiPro

This is the custom MIUI ROM that most people prefer. It's an unofficial MIUI ROM based on the official China ROM, with more display languages available (most European and some Asian languages), Google Play services pre-installed and all bloatware removed. It's getting updated when the China ROMs are. Benefits over the official Global ROM (source: xiaomi.eu):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/roms/unofficial#wiki_xiaomi.eu_rom_.28download_here.29

The reddit tool for debloating, only allows you remove apps that are safe to do so.

Also if you update your rom, the apps may return. If your rooted an easier option is to freeze the apps in question with TiBu and they still stay frozen with updates. Also safer to freeze apps and see if they have adverse effect on the device.

As I don't use MIUI, I have not done the process myself.

One example app, Cleaner App, there is options when using it to choose not to send a log of apps/files cleaned to there servers.

Other apps, you want to use, just deny them permission to use the Data/Wifi, if it won't effect the use of the app.

It was also possible before to turn off ads + app suggestions in MIUI apps (settings of the apps), but not sure if it is still possible.

Edit: - I have a feeling that MIUI Cleaner installed as part of system apps in my Redmi Note 5 is actually Cheetah Cleaner in disguise.

Edit 2: -
    Uninstalling bundled Facebook App Manager apps in Global dev 8.1.25 destabilizes MIUI
    submitted 4 months ago * by error_museum

A little heads up to anyone who's bothered.

MIUI introduced 3 system-level Facebook apps, as of Global dev 8.1.25. These are namely:

Facebook App Installer
    Facebook App Manager
    Facebook Services

So an adblocker app that can also deny Internet access to an app would sort this out also. Is that correct?

jgbyr wrote: »
    So an adblocker app that can also deny Internet access to an app would sort this out also. Is that correct?

Forgot about that as an another option. Don't like VPN based adblockers, because you can not use another VPN at the same-time.

Adaway app [Root] has a feature of "Log DNS Requests", so you can detect urls to block.

Done it to make sure MX Player doesn't get to show me ads.

India’s Times Internet buys popular video app MX Player for $140M to get into streaming

Thanks that's good to know. I gave up rooting a long time ago so use Adguard now which can block Internet access. Something to consider for apps when I purchase this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has anyone tried charging with a powerpack ? My friend's Note 5 won't charge & neither will my Note 4. But mine charges perfectly in the car.

Discodog wrote: »
    Has anyone tried charging with a powerpack ? My friend's Note 5 won't charge & neither will my Note 4. But mine charges perfectly in the car.

You sparked my curiosity!

So I just connected my RN5 to my Aukey PowerBank, and have no problem charging at full mA. 1,670 mA and Accubattery is reporting 1 hour to charge fully from 50%. Edit:- took 1h 35m to charge as it slows down when you get to higher percentages.

I first tried with a cheap cable, I got with a headset and was only getting half the mA. So check your cable your using with your powerbank.

Powerbank used: -

Aukey 20000mAh Portable External Battery Charger Power Bank with AIPower Tech [PB-N15]
    ^^^ Bought December 2015.

Model I have: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHjYAOWswBU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I tried a different cable & my Note 4 charges :)

Advertisement