Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Necrominus wrote: »
    Fourier, given two of the games on your schedule are now either over or paused indefinitely, and Shadowrun also on hiatus, is there any revision to it? Or are we just D&Ding as per the same days till 9pm?
    I'm thinking about what way to reschedule things. I've had a rush of D&D inspiration in the past few days:

Filled out every hex with something
    "Themed" areas of the map to specific kinds of fantasy
    The cities have been made more into something like Novigrad in the Witcher 3, with internal quests involving intrigue, theft, etc A Conan/Grey Mouser feel.

So I'm trying to think how I'll increase time to let this be explored.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    I'm thinking about what way to reschedule things. I've had a rush of D&D inspiration in the past few days:

Filled out every hex with something
    "Themed" areas of the map to specific kinds of fantasy
    The cities have been made more into something like Novigrad in the Witcher 3, with internal quests involving intrigue, theft, etc A Conan/Grey Mouser feel.

So I'm trying to think how I'll increase time to let this be explored.

Sounds great! Especially the Novigrad part.

Anything to be said for a speedier D&D seperate to main game to replace DeadLands :P

(Ok now I'm chancing my arm)

Would people prefer to know the "themes" of areas, if you want a specific kind of fantasy, just as more info for where to travel to. I know it's not something the character would know, but still players might like to know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Would people prefer to know the "themes" of areas, if you want a specific kind of fantasy, just as more info for where to travel to. I know it's not something the character would know, but still players might like to know.

There's a Frozen themed tower in the north isn't there :pac::pac:

I don't mind tbh. I'd be on the fence, like I'm dying to know what you've cooked up but at the same time I kind of like the surprises you throw at us.

Maybe I'll keep it a surprise then. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's going to kill you though when we waltz right through your exquisitely crafted Moana tribute archipelago without looking at anything and spend a week in the vague sketch based on that time your dog shat on a wasp.

It's all exquisitely crafted Banjo, each dungeon brick hand made.

I must admit I was not expecting that old hag to have 70HP last night. It seems they (old women) were warned of our arrival...

In the years since the last game it has been a halfling-granny arms race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

Necrominus wrote: »
    I must admit I was not expecting that old hag to have 70HP last night. It seems they (old women) were warned of our arrival...
    Not to get too metagamey but when you look through the Monster Manual you'll see the low level monsters will usually have a good, average, and bad stat from AC, HP, and damage output/inflicting status conditions. It's true of higher level monsters too but it's harder to tell because they have more skills and so do the players.

Look at a Brown Bear and an Animated Armour which are both the same difficulty according to the monster Manual.

Brown Bear
    AC: 11
    HP: 34
    Attacks: Bite +5 to hit, damage 1d8+4; Claws +5 to hit, damage 2d6+4
    The bear uses both attacks on its turn

Animated Armour
    AC: 18 and its immune to some damage types and status conditions
    HP: 33
    Attack: +4 to hit, damage 1d6+2

• Advertisement

Note, if you are coming from 1E, you can take the fixed average of your health level up rather than the roll, if you want.

I hope the Dungeon was alright. It was just a basic one I placed at 48.58, not one of my big ones, as the chances of you being at 48.58 were low enough.

Yeah it was fun and for a low chance minor dungeon there were some lasting consequences.

I enjoyed it even if I left halfway through with my massive gem.

Vrakrash had his plunder and also Necro was working nights so better he wait on the shore while you crazies run around turning into spiderdrows or beholderelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

hqdefault.jpg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Have to say I was delighted with that. Love me some Vivimancy. So sorry to everyone who wasn't me who's been sitting around for 2 nights waiting for me to stop ****ing around with meat-plants and mutation booths. If it weren't for the lack of oxygen and the place falling apart I'd still be in there now, more owl spit than elf.

And thanks for the rescue, Tigger!

For anyone using Walter Kammerer's android 5e character builder that Digi linked earlier in the thread, you can update it with a tonne of extra stuff from the additional books by importing the custom data linked here :
    https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/66lei8/5th_edition_custom_buildercharacter_sheet_app_ua/
    It's not 100% up to date, and doesn't cover all the UA stuff, but it's not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

Prelude Thread: Consider this a chance to get into character. Game will start tomorrow :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106777762#post106777762

In the 1E game nobody liked Sim-Soetrard. Well pretty much the most successful RPG kickstarter ever has completed (beating the previous 7th Sea one) for bringing the sim-stuff to 5E. (5E essentially ignored it in the core books like every edition after 2E, it has a paragraph or two at most).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/255133215/strongholds-and-streaming

It's not that we didn't want to do it. It's that half the party fecked off and I didn't want to do it on my own. Also, I had an ironing board, a chain sail and 300 mph winds to play with, who wants to be stuck indoors designing sewage systems on a day like that?

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    It's not that we didn't want to do it. It's that half the party fecked off and I didn't want to do it on my own. Also, I had an ironing board, a chain sail and 300 mph winds to play with, who wants to be stuck indoors designing sewage systems on a day like that?
    I'm getting the book and I'll probably add it. You might like what he mentions in the promo video from 1:25 - 1:32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm getting the book and I'll probably add it. You might like what he mentions in the promo video from 1:25 - 1:32.

My spelling issues thought that it would be more interesting
    The prono widero

Something like that does look like it would be interesting and since it's a book I won't have to listen to Matt Coleville talking.

A couple of player's in my face to face game asked me today about buying lands, titles, etc with the ridiculous amount of gold they've accumulated from going through half of the dungeons in Tales from the Yawing Portal. The ones that don't keep dying have gotten somewhere around 25,000 GP each so far.

I've only ever seen one or two of Matt Colville's videos, is there something about the way he talks? I think I've heard he talks too much.

I've only ever seen one or two of Matt Colville's videos, is there something about the way he talks? I think I've heard he talks too much.
    I've only seen few myself. I just find his voice grating and he always seems really giddy.

Evade wrote: »
    A couple of player's in my face to face game asked me today about buying lands, titles, etc with the ridiculous amount of gold they've accumulated from going through half of the dungeons in Tales from the Yawing Portal. The ones that don't keep dying have gotten somewhere around 25,000 GP each so far.
    This has always been a bit of an issue, the older editions especially B/X and BECMI tended to have you spend it on castles, magical towers and strongholds, slowly move away from adventuring and become a lord and the game moved into domain management (Basically modelling Conan the Barbarian -> Conan the King). 5E, like the AD&D it evolved from, sort of has little for the vast quantities of wealth you get.

What did you think of TftYP? Do you play in your own setting?

What did you think of TftYP? Do you play in your own setting?
    I set it in a generic Forgotten Realmsish world with a flimsy scavenger hunt story tying it all together.

It's a bit of a mixed bag really. Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury were good. The White Dragon Wyrmling in Sunless Citadel is a bit tough for a first level party though, especially the breath attack. White Plume Mountain wasn't good and Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan was ok. The environmental hazard in Tamoachan meant my players couldn't take rests until it cleared was the best thing about it. There's seven of them so they end up being a little underlevelled for each area.

I'm prepping Dead in Thay at the minute and it certainly lives up to the mega in megadungeon. But who doesn't like a Necromancer civil war?

I'm interested in getting it, played most of them in 1E, though haven't played the 3E ones.

I hope Wizards release some material from the other settings (though I really like the Realms, especially Al Qadim and Chult, which we've gotten) like Dark Sun.

• Advertisement

I'm interested in getting it, played most of them in 1E, though haven't played the 3E ones.

I hope Wizards release some material from the other settings (though I really like the Realms, especially Al Qadim and Chult, which we've gotten) like Dark Sun.
    I haven't been playing that long but I'd like to see Dark Sun too. It seems like a pretty big change of pace from the usual Tolkienesque settings.

There's two books coming out this year after Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes and I've seen it speculated that they'll be released too close together to both be adventures so a setting book could be on the way.

Advertisement