Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Beginner's Game: Prelude

Options
  • 19-04-2018 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

'It is said, you either die a hero, or live long enough to become a villain.'

Those words would ring true, as this story aims to tell.

The dungeon is cold, dank and dark - save for one torch burning brightly outside the steel bars confining this party of 7 - a cell fit for only 4 people, they are crushed against each other.

hqdefault.jpg

But were they villains? They can hear the sounds of a screaming, almost frenzying crowd stamping, cheering, clapping above their heads.

They hear the keys rattle, and the door is flung open. The elf, known as Stufur Evergreen is flung headlong into the already crowded cell.

The guard slams the door shut again and locks it, looking at the now 8 crammed occupants in disgust. He spits through the bars and it lands on the foot of the mage, Echtrae.

'Scumbags - it's too good for you what they have planned. I had my way, you'd be all fed to the pigs!'

He keeps watch with a hand on his scabbard, ready to draw it at the first sign of trouble from his prisoners.

Out Of Character Post (OOC): Consider this a time to get into character, talk to your fellow players, get a feel for the environment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Stufur finds himself embedded between various pairs of legs. Pulling himself out he looks around and picks his cap up off the ground and dusts down his green tunic. Humans can be so brutish.

He stands up amidst the throng, quite a diverse bunch it seems. They're in this together, so best to make a good first impression.

"Greetings fellow cell dwellers, the name is Stufur" he says extending a handshake to nobody in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Seizing the opportunity to get noticed, the magic maker extends his hand through a labyrinth of bodies.

"Delighted to make your acquaintance, Stu Pendous at your service'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Fector Hammerchop hangs back watching the group of 7 become 8. Not naturally trusting Hammerchop tries to size up the room to see who can be trusted and who is a danger. After careful consideration he decides he'll need more than brute strength to get out of here.

"Fector Hammerchop, happy to make your acquaintance, my friends call me the Hammer"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The young thief Aesc stands against the bars of the cell, unnoticed by most, watching the guard and waiting for the slightest opportunity to steal the keys of the gaol. Hopefully the guard might let his caution slip while watching and taunting the occupants of the overcrowded cell just long enough for the novice catpurse to acquire the means of escape.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Malik thanks the gods for his tallness. Always a problem when he was young, it gives him precious breathing space in this cramped room. Even if his head is brushing the ceiling. He can easily touch both sides of the cell with his outstretched arms.
    'Well folks, tis a fine mess we've gotten ourselves into here. I'm not looking forward to whatever they've got planned'.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Seizing the opportunity to get noticed, the magic maker extends his hand through a labyrinth of bodies.

"Delighted to make your acquaintance, Stu Pendous at your service'
    Stufur accepts and shakes Stu's hand.

"Hey Stu. We're in a bit of a rough spot here."
    Mollyb60 wrote:
    'Well folks, tis a fine mess we've gotten ourselves into here. I'm not looking forward to whatever they've got planned'.
    Stufur turns to the tall gentleman.

"I doubt it's pleasant. The guard really seemed to loath us."

He whispers now.

"Anybody have ideas for escape?"

Asecs eyes flick quickly to the elf at overhearing the word 'escape', just long enough to express "I'm in" before returning to watching the guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

Echtrae finally stirs at the mention, he had been reluctant to associate himselves with this rabble but now there was plans for freedom afoot. As he stands to greet this elf, his small shadow somehow fills the room.

'What have you in mind, elf? I have been here to long already', Echtrae glares at the guard with visable hatred on his face before he rubs his ribs and grimaces.

Fourier wrote: »

Stufur turns to the tall gentleman.

"I doubt it's pleasant. The guard really seemed to loath us."

He whispers now.

"Anybody have ideas for escape?"

Malik bends his head down towards Stufur, 'Unfortunately I'm a bit conspicuous so it's gonna be tough to get me out unless we knock out that guard. I'm always up for a challenge though. The name's Malik by the way.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Brutha perks up with the arrival of Stufur. A new mind in the cell might be all they need to get out of there! His neck was sore from the crick in it as his head was near sideways against the ceiling, and his calves ached with being slightly crouched down.

"Greetings Stufur, may the Great God Om shine his benevolent light on you and all your endeavours! Like my fellow prisoner Malik, I too am rather conspicuous, but if I can us get out of here I will give my all... My name is Brutha"

OOC: Mollyb, if you're going to make the height of the room 6', make sure you check the height of your fellow characters first! ;)

• Advertisement

The Hammer likes what he is hearing and steps forward to offer his services. He whispers:

"I can take the guard out easily however I need to be close to get a clean shot. I may be small but I've had bigger and harder ****s than that buck tooth cellar dweller. The scabbard is what worries me, we need a distraction"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Stu cried in a low voice, as to not let the guard hear, ' so, do we have a plan or not? my toenails are itching and I can't reach them'

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

As the party converses, they can hear the sound of armoured boots clanking down the stairs. They appear to be coming towards the dungeon cell.

A gruff voice calls loudly to the guard at the door.

'Oy, Clayton - get one of 'em ready! We're about to begin!'

jasonb wrote: »
    OOC: Mollyb, if you're going to make the height of the room 6', make sure you check the height of your fellow characters first! ;)

OOC: I actually had in my head that my character was 6'6 but looking back at my sheet he's only 6ft. Sorry!

5 Spears appear through the bars of the cell.

'Oy, back against that wall - ALL of you! Anyone makes the slightest movement, you will all die!'

There is a sound of jangling keys and the door clicks open.

Clayton, the thuggish guard who was watching the cell, steps inside. He hands the keys to one of his comrades, who is armed to the teeth with a gigantic Claymore.

He approaches the group, and smirks at Ecthrae briefly.

'How's the ribs, cur? Try any of that magic sh1te with me again, I'll cut your hands off.'

He turns and addresses Malik.

'YOU - step forward. Slowly - unless you wish to be cut to pieces.'

From the shadows Aesc throws himself at the guards legs. "Rush him!"

OldGoat wrote: »

OOC: Welcome to our first roll! Roll against Dexterity.

Rolz room: The Meatgrinder

Malik rushes forward and grabs the closest (Edit: guards) head to bash it off the iron bars of the cell.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Malik rushes forward and grabs the closest (Edit: guards) head to bash it off the iron bars of the cell.

OOC: Roll Strength

The Hammer launches a flying headbutt at the guard nearest too him hoping others will follow suit while cursing Aesc under his breath

• Advertisement

OOC: Roll Strength

OOC: Just to be clear, I'm rolling a d20 and adding my strength modifier (which is +1) to the result.

Not sure if I'm in the right room on rolz, there's no one else there. :o

Rolled a 9+1 = 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Pete tries to get behind the guard and grab him from there

OOC: Just to be clear, I'm rolling a d20 and adding my strength modifier (which is +1) to the result.

Not sure if I'm in the right room on rolz, there's no one else there. :o

Rolled a 9+1 = 10

OOC: Meatgrinder

This room, it's fine. Waiting on OG's roll as his action was first.

OldGoat wrote: »

OOC: Rolled 17 for you, fail

Aesec dives for the guard but he side steps easily. He boots him hard in the face, breaking a number of teeth.

'LADS! These idiots think they can rush us!'

Malik grabs Clayton by the throat but the Guard with the Claymore points it at his throat.
    duffman13 wrote: »
    The Hammer launches a flying headbutt at the guard nearest too him hoping others will follow suit while cursing Aesc under his breath

Four more guards come into the cell as the Hammer launches.

'Enough, dogs! One more move and you all die!'

A seperate guard hauls Aesec to his feet and drags him out of the room.

'Anxious to start eh? Ok, we'll take you first.'

Three guards drag him down the corridor.

OOC: OldGoat, another thread coming shortly. The rest of you are still in this room for now.

Stufur looks at the four guards.

"What may I ask is our crime? Forgive me, I am not familiar with human law."

Pete whispers to everyone in the room
    "Ok, so how do we get out of here? Anyone got any ideas?"

Fourier wrote: »
    Stufur looks at the four guards.

"What may I ask is our crime? Forgive me, I am not familiar with human law."

Another guard regards Stufur.

'You know what you did. King killing bastards. You'll get yours soon.'

The guards leave the cell and lock it again.

OOC: So are there still guards around or are we on our own now?

"Dammit!" Stufur thumps his fist against the wall. "Should have acted while they were here."

He looks around the room, hoping his elven intuition can find any secret exits.

While looking around he speaks to Echtrae.

"I recognise a human with the arcane gifts when I see one, what can you do?"

• Advertisement

conor222 wrote: »
    OOC: So are there still guards around or are we on our own now?

OOC: Guards have left.

Advertisement