Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

What does Components: V, S mean in the spells section?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

Verbal and somatic (hand movements). You have to able to speak for verbal components and have at least one free hand to do somatic components. There's M too for material. You'll need a piece of whatever material or a focus if you can use one. The exception to substituting focii for the material is if the listed material has a GP value or is consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Toying with Bard and Warlock. This is formal notification of The Dibs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

To people who are new, the world is weird fantasy inspired by the works of Fritz Lieber, Jack Vance, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard and Michael Moorcock. Some Lovecraft as well.

Banjo wrote: »
    Toying with Bard and Warlock. This is formal notification of The Dibs. :D
    Oh, tough call. Both suit you well, but I think you'd work best with Warlock given your playstyle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fingers crossed someone picks a tank to be the shield at our backs...

Tigger :) Chaotic Evil Fighter is calling :P

Fourier wrote: »
    Oh, tough call. Both suit you well, but I think you'd work best with Warlock given your playstyle.

I have a playstyle?
    Do tell!

Warlock looks rather awesome.... but what of Blotto, the half-orc bard with his gnome-built Guitaxe? Decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Orc bard! I'll random roll later for this. :D

EDIT:
    Blotto, the half-orc bard with his gnome-built Guitaxe? Decisions decisions
    Dang Banjo, are you really gonna steal this from me?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Orc bard! I'll random roll later for this. :D

EDIT: Dang Banjo, are you really gonna steal this from me?

Nah, go ahead. I'm rolling a ghostie elf warlock. Wouldn't be fair of me.to go dibsing backup characters.

Fare thee well, Blotto, you magnificent oaf... :'(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok, character sheet for my rogue incoming.

Edit: The Redacted parts are for Four's eyes only ;)

• Advertisement

Name: Fargadras Fernshade

Sex: Male (and yes please)

Race: Wood Elf

Class: Rogue

Background: Criminal

Speciality: *REDACTED*

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Stats:

Strength: 10 (0)
    Dexterity: 18 (+4)
    Constitution: 12 (+1)
    Intelligence: 13 (+1)
    Wisdom: 9 (-1)
    Charisma: 8 (-1)
    HP: 9
    AC: 15
    Height: 6’1
    Weight: 101lbs

Equipment:

Shortsword
    Shortbow & Quiver of 20 arrows
    Burglars Pack
    Explorer’s Pack
    Leather Armour
    2 daggers
    Thieves Tools
    Dark Clothes with a Hood
    Crowbar
    Trinket: A tiny chest carved to look like it has numerous feet on the bottom.

Proficiencies:

(Elf):
    Dex + 2
    Darkvision
    Keen Senses - Proficiency in Perception
    Fey Ancestry
    Trance
    Languages: Common & Elvish

(Subrace Wood Elf)

Wisdom + 1
    Elf Weapon Training: Shortsword, longsword, longbow, shortbow proficiencies
    Fleet of Foot: 35 base rate walking speed
    Mask of the Wild

(Rogue)

Light Armour
    Weapons: simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
    Tools: Thieves tools
    Saving Throws: Dexterity & Intelligence
    Skills: Deception, Acrobatics, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand (Stealth automatic from Rogue class)
    Expertise: Stealth and Thieves Tools
    Sneak Attack: 1d6 extra damage per turn
    Thieves Cant

Personality Trait: *REDACTED*
    Ideal: *REDACTED*
    Bond: *REDACTED*
    Flaw: *REDACTED*

Guys, what do we have so far?
    A Rogue, a Druid, a Sorcerer and possibly a bard?
    I'm not really clear on how Druids and Sorcerers work but I'm guessing we're missing frontliners. Is anyone planning on a fighter, barbarian, meat shield etc?
    I don't really want to go with Pact of the Blade but if we have no one to hide behind, we are a very squishy looking party so far.

I'm not really clear on how Druids and Sorcerers work but I'm guessing we're missing frontliners. Is anyone planning on a fighter, barbarian, meat shield etc?
    I don't really want to go with Pact of the Blade but if we have no one to hide behind, we are a very squishy looking party so far.

You're forgetting Tigger ;) I'm sure he'll come adequately equipped.

I'm not counting anyone who hasn't declared their intention yet. Instead I'm heaping pressure on them to protect us from the meanies :D

<Insert cheap pun about how Tigger is equipped>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

Druids can be very tanky from level two onwards. I have 6HP and terrible AC so I'm almost sure I'll die quickly and I was thinking of making a paladin if Fourier allows replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Druids would be reasonably tanky, wildshape gives you extra HP, pact of the fiend can add some tank to a warlock but it's generally uncessessary.

Necro how in the bejaysus did you roll 18 Dex? Holy crap, your guys an acrobat

Druids would be reasonably tanky, wildshape gives you extra HP, pact of the fiend can add some tank to a warlock but it's generally uncessessary.

Necro how in the bejaysus did you roll 18 Dex? Holy crap, your guys an acrobat

:D:D

Rolled a 16, but Elves get a +2 auto increase on Dex. Was quite proud of that myself tbh.

My 4d6 rolls were 6, 4, 6 and 1 (removed the 1 as took top 3). Rest of my stats are relatively normal tbf.

wait we're doing 4d6 discard rolls?
    This changes EVERYTHING... unless my rolls are **** in which case nothing to see here, return to your homes!

wait we're doing 4d6 discard rolls?
    This changes EVERYTHING... unless my rolls are **** in which case nothing to see here, return to your homes!

:pac::pac:

Did you read the books at all :P

4d6, discard lowest roll - that's your stats :D

Or as sKeith showed us 4d6h3 and it does it for you.

How dare you! I skimmed the books! I must have missed that 'cause I'm an OSR veteran now and just assumed that this would be hard core 3D6 get-what-you-get-and-don't-get-upset. I'm deciding on what character to create first... I really miss that Truculent page that hands you a fully realised set of stats with a name and quirks :D

Might make things easier on myself and go fighter. Keep it simples.

BTW you can do "#gen d20 Dex Cha" to give you a full set of stats, giving the best rolls to Dex and Charisma.
    embed?X31774768

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Can we not be smyhebsane thing as each other ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Recently heard of a band who play D&D together. They all play as bards and bring instruments to the game. They have created a set of Chord Dice that gets used and must create a song using the random chords. Nice. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Tigger wrote: »

No, I want to be Smyhebsane so you have to be something else! :D
    There's no law says we all have to pick different things. Might be fun to have a whole bunch of squishie death machines.

Tigger wrote: »

Yep, every class has a few archetypes so two bards for example, could be vastly different after level 3. You can also multiclass Level by level, so anyone who wants that sweet sweet Temp HP can invest 3 levels into Warlock and their other 17 into whatever they want.

A good example is taking 1 level in Warlock to get access to Eldritch Blast if you need ranged magic

OldGoat wrote: »
    Recently heard of a band who play D&D together. They all play as bards and bring instruments to the game. They have created a set of Chord Dice that gets used and must create a song using the random chords. Nice. :)

Have you a link?

Fourier wrote: »

This is a really good app for character sheets, gives you full control over building and then editing, autofills all features, weapons and stuff, lets you level up with the premium version and lets you back characters up to Google Drive too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wgkammerer.testgui.basiccharactersheet.app

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/fifth-edition-character-sheet/id967650851?mt=8

And this can be used to build spellsheets, it's handy too

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spellsdd5

Don't have an iOS link for it

Evade wrote: »
    Cool. How do you change your name on rolz? I got an autogenerated one.

/nick Evade

I think that's the command

This is a really good app for character sheets, gives you full control over building and then editing, autofills all features, weapons and stuff, lets you level up with the premium version and lets you back characters up to Google Drive too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wgkammerer.testgui.basiccharactersheet.app

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/fifth-edition-character-sheet/id967650851?mt=8

And this can be used to build spellsheets, it's handy too

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spellsdd5

Don't have an iOS link for it

:D Like I didn't have enough apps on my phone.

Thanks Digi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Monk here.

Advertisement