Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Game starts in one hour

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

giphy.gif

Necro and sKeith in werewolf right? Anyone else?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    Necro and sKeith in werewolf right? Anyone else?

Just replied in the other thread. I'll be around. sKeith not playing this one.

Only modding, not playing so I won't have full attention diverted :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Necrominus wrote: »
    Just replied in the other thread. I'll be around. sKeith not playing this one.

Only modding, not playing so I won't have full attention diverted :)

I'm in D&D 100%.

Please see:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057855591

and let me know your thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

What way do you normally edit the character sheets?

It has been done a few ways. Though typically people either pmed me an updated google doc, or just reposted the sheet on this thread.

UPDATED SHEET

Name: Therai

Sex: Male

Race: Tiefling

Class: Storm Sorcerer

Background: Urchin

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Stats:

Strength: 8 (-1)
    Dexterity: 12 (+1)
    Constitution: 11 (0)
    Intelligence: 11 (0)
    Wisdom: 10 (0)
    Charisma: 15 (+2)
    HP: 6
    AC: 11
    Speed: 30 feet/round
    Hit Dice: d6
    Height: 5’9 (not including horns)
    Weight: 170lbs

Equipment:

Common Clothes
    Map of the City
    Small Knife
    Locket with Parents Names
    Dagger x3
    Arcane Focus
    Tome of Bakabar - Storm god Akulum page 456
    Explorer's Pack
    • Backpack
    • Bedroll
    • Messkit
    • Tinderbox
    • Torch x10
    • Rations 7 days
    • Waterskin
    • Hempen Rope 50 feet
    Pet Mouse- Twitchy

CP:
    SP:
    EP:
    GP: 10
    PP:

Proficiencies:

(Tiefling):
    Cha + 2
    Int +1
    Darkvision - 60 feet
    Hellish Resistance. Resistant to fire damage
    Infernal Legacy. Thaumaturgy cantrip

(Languages)
    Common, Infernal, & Primordial (including Aquan, Avan, Ignen, & Terran dialects)

(Weapons)
    Dagger, Dart, Sling, Quarterstaff, & Light Crossbow

(Urchin)
    City Secrets. Time taken to traverse a city is halved for you and your companions

(Skills)
    Deception
    Persuasion
    Sleight of Hand
    Stealth

(Saving Throws)
    Constitution
    Charisma

(Tools)
    Thieve's Tools
    Disguise Kit

(Storm Sorcerer)

Wind Speaker: Primordial Language

Tempestuous Magic: You can use a bonus action on your turn to cause whirling gusts of elemental air of elemental air to briefly surround you, immediately before you cast a spell of first level or higher. Doing so allows you to to fly up to 10 feet without provoking opportunity attacks.

(Spellcasting)

Cantrips
    • Gust
    • Ray of Frost
    • Shocking Grasp
    • Thaumaturgy
    • Thunderclap

Spells
    • Fog Cloud (1)
    • Ice Knife (1)

Spell Slots
    • Level 1 - 2 Slots

Personality Trait: I eat like a pig and have bad manners
    Ideal: I'm going to prove that I'm Worthy of a better life
    Bond: My city is my home and I'll fight to defend it
    Flaw: It's not stealing if I need it more than someone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Name: Brú Tríom
    Sex : Male
    Race : Firbolg
    Class : Druid
    Background : Herbalist

Stat|Score|Mod|Save
    Str | 14 | +2 |+2
    Dex| 9|-1|-1
    Con|15|+2|+2
    Int|12| +1|+3
    Wis|18|+4|+6
    Cha|13|+1|+1

Let's hope that works

HP: 9
    AC: 10
    Init: -1
    Speed: 30ft
    Height : 7"2'
    Weight 250lbs

Proficiencies:
    Animal Handling
    Insight
    Medicine
    Nature
    Light Armour
    Medium Armour
    Shields

Equipment:
    Mace
    Hand axe
    Leather Armour
    Explorers Pack
    Druidic Focus - Braclet made from unicorn hair, passed down through the tribe for generations
    0gp

Features
    You can cast disguise self and detect magic 1/rest (see rules)
    • You can turn invisible as a bonus action (1/rest). Lasts until you make a damage roll, attack, make a creature save, or your next turn
    • You can lift, drag, push, and carry weight as if one size larger
    • Plants and beasts can understand you and you have advantage on charisma checks while doing so
    • Understand a secret druid language
    • Wildshape 2/rest, max CR 1/4, No Swimming or Flying speed

Spells:
    Spell Atk +6
    Spell Save DC 14
    Know Druid Lvl + Wis Mod Spells
    2 Cantrips
    2 1st Level Slots

Cantrips
    Frostbite
    Shillelagh

L1
    Absorb Elements
    Cure Wounds
    Ice Knife
    Speak with Animals
    Thunderwave

Will leave these as my base and post in the main thread if I want to swap a spell out for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hey quick question since we seem to have a lot of cantrips to play with in the party.
    Minor Illusion - You can, for 1 minute - and without breaking concentration since it requires none - create multiple discrete sounds within a 30 foot range. The text doesn't say you can't create multiple images in a similar manner... Just wondering if, with a little practice and co-operation, if more than one of us has Minor Illusion can we create the impression of a certain degree of animation in an illusion by taking turns to show individual frames of animation, which in combination with the thunder and fog and maybe some dancing lights would work like a zoetrope to imply movement? Also, can you switch from sound to image in the same casting (the wording suggests no).

By the way, speaking of cantrips, I went looking for that Thunderclap that someone did the other day to silence the bells for a minute, it turns out there are tonnes of ones that aren't in the PHB/SRD - If you're new 5e and took something like Friends (Charm person with a hangover) because you didn't know what else to do, take a look at Green-Flame Blade, Booming Blade, Create Bonfire, Mold Earth, Primal Savagery - there's some great stuff with strong thematic options out there. Also, if everyone else already knew this, thanks a bunch! :)

Also can I just say I'm loving the value for money OG is getting out of Mage Hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Banjo wrote: »
    Also can I just say I'm loving the value for money OG is getting out of Mage Hand :D
    Cantrips are wonderful. The ability to do magic without using slots is a godsend. In earlier version of the game you'd have to reach really high levels before you could afford to burn through spells in such a cavalier manner. Magic was only for serious stuff but now we get to shoot off (figurative) fireworks simply to play in the narrative.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

By the way, speaking of cantrips, I went looking for that Thunderclap that someone did the other day to silence the bells for a minute, it turns out there are tonnes of ones that aren't in the PHB/SRD - If you're new 5e and took something like Friends (Charm person with a hangover) because you didn't know what else to do, take a look at Green-Flame Blade, Booming Blade, Create Bonfire, Mold Earth, Primal Savagery - there's some great stuff with strong thematic options out there. Also, if everyone else already knew this, thanks a bunch! :)
    Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Elemental Evil Player's Companion*, and Xanathar's Guide to Everything all have extra spells and cantrips. Xanathar's Guide is almost like a Player's Handbook 1.5 with loads of extra subclasses. Volo's Guide to Monster has a few extra player races too.

*free official PDF

Yeah, and if you don't have $300 to spend on books, most of the info is available through a bunch of websites (gl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/ and https://donjon.bin.sh/ have been very helpful) if you're willing to piece the info together 'cause no one wants to get sued by putting it all up in one place too conveniently. It's still relevant for the current characters, as anyone with spellcasting capability will be earning more cantrips as we go, so the options are there. I've a google doc with them all in there (i think - ignoring any racial perk cantrips except my own).

There's a few references to a new book coming soon (It's not Mordercai and Rigby, but it sounds a lot like it. OOOOO-ooooooooh!) which I'm sure will shake it all up again in a couple of months, and at the rate we're moving that will be in about 2 long rest's time :D

Here, what's the story with Clerics? They seem to have a really, REALLY narrow spell list - 2 options per spell level in each domain. Is there a general pool they can all choose from too? Or have they been deliberately shifted from walking first aid kit to half-way between Caster and Engine of Death? It's not immediately obvious from the PHB, or I'm just not reading it right.

Yeah, and if you don't have $300 to spend on books, most of the info is available through a bunch of websites (gl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/ and https://donjon.bin.sh/ have been very helpful) if you're willing to piece the info together 'cause no one wants to get sued by putting it all up in one place too conveniently. It's still relevant for the current characters, as anyone with spellcasting capability will be earning more cantrips as we go, so the options are there. I've a google doc with them all in there (i think - ignoring any racial perk cantrips except my own).

There's a few references to a new book coming soon (It's not Mordercai and Rigby, but it sounds a lot like it. OOOOO-ooooooooh!) which I'm sure will shake it all up again in a couple of months, and at the rate we're moving that will be in about 2 long rest's time :D

Here, what's the story with Clerics? They seem to have a really, REALLY narrow spell list - 2 options per spell level in each domain. Is there a general pool they can all choose from too? Or have they been deliberately shifted from walking first aid kit to half-way between Caster and Engine of Death? It's not immediately obvious from the PHB, or I'm just not reading it right.
    There's an Android app called 5th edition spell book that can have all the spells once you update it.

Cleric domain spells are extra spells, they have a pretty big list of general spells too.

Druids and Rangers are the walking first aid kit now thanks to the wording of a second level spell that's supposed to be used in combat but can be used outside of it and heal the whole party for 10d6 each.

cleric spells are on pg 207 & 208 of PHB. It looks like a fine collection to me.

yeah, but depending on your domain you get a list of 2 spells per level.
    So, if you choose Life as your domain, one of those spells is Cure Wounds, which scales up as you cast it in higher slots (think of it as the lovechild emerging from an orgy of Cure Light Wounds, Cure Critical Wounds and a slide whistle).
    That's on the general Cleric list. But it's a life domain spell, so presumably you have to be life domain to learn it?
    PHB - "Your choice grants you domain spells and other features when you choose it at 1st level"
    I mean this isn't important now. But if/when my warlock falls into a lava pit that doesn't conveniently get out of the way, my Thunderlizard will want to know.

So, if you choose Life as your domain, one of those spells is Cure Wounds, which scales up as you cast it in higher slots (think of it as the lovechild emerging from an orgy of Cure Light Wounds, Cure Critical Wounds and a slide whistle).
    That's on the general Cleric list. But it's a life domain spell, so presumably you have to be life domain to learn it?
    PHB - "Your choice grants you domain spells and other features when you choose it at 1st level"
    I mean this isn't important now. But if/when my warlock falls into a lava pit that doesn't conveniently get out of the way, my Thunderlizard will want to know.
    evade wrote:

Cleric domain spells are extra spells, they have a pretty big list of general spells too.
    Each domain has a list of spells—its domain spells—that you gain at the cleric levels noted in the domain description. Once you gain a domain spell, you always have it prepared, and it doesn’t count against the number of spells you can prepare each day.

Clerics are prepared casters. They get to pick a limited number, level + wisdom mod, of their spells every end of long rest to use that day. Domain spells are always prepared and don't count as one of that limited number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I have a convienient place that hopefully wont get me sued, pm your email for access

The Book of Erotic Fantasy is knocking around there somewhere for you Banjo

Possible dungeon tonight, let me know if that suits. If it's enough I'll go ahead.

Fourier wrote:
    Possible dungeon tonight, let me know if that suits. If it's enough I'll go ahead.

Available from about 7.30pm till... well... 5am :o

WrestleMania tonight :D

Sorry can't do tonight

I'll be around

Just so people know, here is a group of the rough differences between 1e and 5e, just to prevent confusion.
    1. Ones obvious at char gen like Elf no longer being a class, existence of Proficiencies, nine alignments, etc

2. Reaching zero health does not kill you. You only die on hitting the negative of your total health, e.g. character with 11 max HP, dies on -11HP. If you reach 0HP or lower, but don't die, you have to make death saves every turn until you get three successes or three failures. The former means you are stable, the latter means you die.

3. Saves are now based on your characteristics (Wisdom, Charisma, etc) rather than the form of the danger (Poison, Magic, Wand, etc). The way they are used can be seen from the Dungeon Master's Guide:
      Strength: Opposing a force that would physically move or bind you
      Dexterity: Dodging out of harm's way
      Constitution: Enduring a disease, poison or other hazard that saps vitality
      Intelligence: Disbelieving certain illusions and resisting mental assaults that can be refuted with logic, sharp memory, or both
      Wisdom: Resisting effects that charm, frighten, or otherwise assault your willpower
      Charisma: Withstanding effects, such as possession, that would subsume your personality or hurl you to another plane of existence
      The only exception is that Death Saves are retained in the specific situation mentioned in 2.

4. All rolls are now equal or better a target on a d20. No d100 stuff, or roll under systems.

5. AC is now ascending. The formula to hit is changed from:
      d20 + Level bonus + Dex/Str bonus vs 19 - AC
      to
      d20 + Proficiency Bonus + Dex/Str bonus vs AC

6. The target for ability checks is now a number I come up with rather than being based on your score for that stat. Typically it's either 10 (easy) or 15 (moderate).

7. Lacking a proficiency in certain situations has a specific disadvantage. I'll flag these.

8. The advantage/disadvantage mechanic. Sometimes you roll two d20s and keep the best or the worst. This is usually to represent an unusual advantage or disadvantage. When you have an advantage you've a 50% chance of 15+, disadvantage is 50% chance 7-.

9. Fumbles do not exist outside of combat and Death Saves.

It terrifies me that you feel we need to know this now :) I'm too young to die!

i think it showed that me and necro didnt understand the saving rules on rolz, we thought wisdom 12 would be a save, but we had to roll above some number fourier had picked, (unknowning at the time) i was not aiming to get 12 at all. we might have just had to roll above 10 or some other number that fourier knew.

Yeah it was 10. I'll tell you the number, if it is something your character could gauge, i.e. they'd know this was easy (DC: 10) and act based on that knowledge.

Keeping the rules of different editions of one game straight is quite difficult. Traveller is a killer for me in this regard.

• Advertisement

Fourier, given two of the games on your schedule are now either over or paused indefinitely, and Shadowrun also on hiatus, is there any revision to it? Or are we just D&Ding as per the same days till 9pm?

Advertisement