Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult ADHD Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PAULFRANCIS69

Feu wrote: »
    Hi Paul, if you read back through the of the posts, I think you will find it helpful, I suggest completing the CADRA checklist before meeting with a professional to help guide your thinking and identify what specific areas are difficult e.g. Emotional regulation, organisation, impulsivity etc.
    Dr Alan murtagh heads up the St John of God's private ADHD unit. They are still taking people as far as I know. Not sure if the wait time, will update if I can.

I just heard this week that SPUH/Dean clinic are not taking anyone at the moment, with primarily ADHD, even with an existing diagnosis. I'm not sure about if there are multiple conditions.

Dr Stephanie bourke in Blackrock Clinic is taking people, but waiting list at least 4 months.

Dr Fitzgerald is still working at least part time, read previous posts for people's experiences. Wait not normally too bad, maybe 6 weeks

Dr David Carey (psychologist) still accepting people, he can give a really good thorough assessment, but can't prescribe medication. Again, see previous for people's experiences.

Sorry for brevity, on the phone today. Will update if possible.

I don't know if Cannex or others might have more info than I have. My only concern is this thread may be getting too long for the attention challenged to read back through!!!

Any specific qs post away

Feu, thanks so much for the speedy reply and the advise to fill out our the CADDEX form, which I was not aware of!

Had a quick look and it certainly helps with taming one’s thoughts we regard to the myriad issues and difficulties they experience.

I’m now aware that you need an assessment from someone who is approved by the HSE. I have a medical card and am not working so while I can scratch together the assessment fee, I need to know I will be able to get medication should that be indicated or recommended.

Dr. Alan Murtagh is with the NAAS clinic and from what I can gather had expertise and is HSE validated. I intend to ask my GP to refer me there depending on the size of the waiting list.

While I feel tremendous nervousness around taking this step there is also a chunk of light emerging at the hope of a future more fitting to my own intelligence and potential.

I am very grateful for having found this thread and that it exists at all in what seems to be a vacuum of information about ADHD amongst Irish adults.

Also the HADD website appears to be non-functions too!

Thanks again,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cannex

Hi Paul
    Heres how it worked for me.
    I suspected I might have ADHD so I contacted my GP and explained that I needed a referral. My GP asked me why I thought I had ADHD and I explained the various life-long symptoms. She seemed satisfied that it was worth referring me.

SO, I was referred the the Adult Mental Health Services in Cork City. I waited for apprximately 3 months for an appointment. After my first appointment, being asked if I wanted to kill myself and exlaining why I was there, I was PUT ON A WAITNG LIST FOR A WAITING LIST - I kid you not - a 2 year waiting list for a screening appointment to be seen by a clinical psychologist. Shocked by this I decided to look for a private appointment. My life was falling apart!!!

I found Prof Fitzgerald through the many discussion forums dedicated to parents of children with adhd. I contacted him and 3 months later I had an appointment with him in his monthly Cork clinic. Anyway I was diagnosed with ADHD. 2 weeks later I had a diagnosis letter and immediately I had a perscription. I went to my GP with the perscription while the diagnosis leter was posted to the GP. I was then given my perscription and began taking the medication.

I went to my next HSE appointment 3 months later with this diagnosis letter and I was questioned by a different psychiatrist why I thought I had adhd. I did not know at the time that the HSE still believe that adult adhd does not exist. On the HSE website they describe adhd as sometimes continuing onto adulthood!!!!!!!! Not only that, but they had a problem with Prof Fitzgeralds diagnosis. BUT my GP did not. I am on the medical card too and BECAUSE I WAS DIAGNOSED AND PERSCRIBED THIS MEDICATION BY A PROFESSIONAL AND EXPERT IN ADHD - my gp had no issue whatsoever with prescribing the medication.

I continue with my appointments in the HSE, seeing a different person every time, waiting for and hour and a half for each appointment and spending approx 10 minutes with a different person again. Once I met someone who believed me - a man who was working with children with adhd - he knew it was the right diagnosis, he even had a student dr in the appointment with us so she could learn how it presents in adults.

Long story short - you do not need the HSE to get treatment. You can refer yourself privately and avail of the reduced rate of the medical card charge for medication once you are diagnosed and once the gp in on board with perscribing your medication. Only issue is that you are on your own then. ADHD is not considered worthy of treatment by the HSE because we dont want to kill ourselves and we are not a danger to others. they have bigger fish to fry.

**** THE BACKWARDS OUT OF DATE MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES IN THE HSE - I was given an occupational therapist who I met for 40 minutes every 2 weeks - who proeeded to treat me with a behaviour modification therapy FOR DEPRESSION - I did not have depression. - met a wagon of a woman in the north Cork team the last time I was there - she played mind games and made me say what she wanted - it was horrible and traumatizing - I want nothing more to do with them. I came out of my experience with the mental health team in Cork traumatized, literally traumatized - stay away.

After I realised that they were trying to actually debunk my diagnosis due to sheer ignorance and outdated information related to adults with adhd and especially females...I went and sought another assessment with another expert - same diagnosis. I stayed the hell away from the HSE after that experience.

Sorry for the rant but I just need to warn people who need an assessment with the HSE that there is no point.

SO its:
    Speak to GP
    Stay away from HSE
    Refer yourself privately
    Bring letter and perscription to GP
    Get perscribed by GP

And then - come back because medication is only the tip of the iceberg - its like putting a plaster on a broken leg
    we need - CBT for adhd, occupational therapy at the very least.

Best of luck with trying to find someone as I dont have any information for John of Gods but I do know the Dean Clinic no longer takes any patients. I went to the Naas Clinic but I was not seen by the person you mention so I cant comment on him.

Also I set up a forum for adults in Ireland, in its infancy still, approx 30 members - all adults with or seeking assessment for adhd in the Irish system. http://adhdadultireland.boards.net/

Most basic advice
    DONT WASTE YOUR TIME SEEING SOMEONE WHO IS NOT AN EXPERT ON ADHD OR AUTISM :)

Hi Paul, if you read back through the of the posts, I think you will find it helpful, I suggest completing the CADRA checklist before meeting with a professional to help guide your thinking and identify what specific areas are difficult e.g. Emotional regulation, organisation, impulsivity etc.
    Dr Alan murtagh heads up the St John of God's private ADHD unit. They are still taking people as far as I know. Not sure if the wait time, will update if I can.

I just heard this week that SPUH/Dean clinic are not taking anyone at the moment, with primarily ADHD, even with an existing diagnosis. I'm not sure about if there are multiple conditions.

Dr Stephanie bourke in Blackrock Clinic is taking people, but waiting list at least 4 months.

Dr Fitzgerald is still working at least part time, read previous posts for people's experiences. Wait not normally too bad, maybe 6 weeks

Dr David Carey (psychologist) still accepting people, he can give a really good thorough assessment, but can't prescribe medication. Again, see previous for people's experiences.

I don't know if Cannex or others might have more info than I have. My only concern is this thread may be getting too long for the attention challenged to read back through!!!

I fear its getting too long for many to read through too :)

Only thing I can say is to wait for one of thse hyperfocus nights/days
    OR
    Leave the forum page open and keep reading over time.

Just to feel the aha moments and not feel so alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Orionis

While I feel tremendous nervousness around taking this step there is also a chunk of light emerging at the hope of a future more fitting to my own intelligence and potential.

Well done. I remember that chunk of light myself. If as you suspect, your life until now has been diminished by the effects of this condition, then there is every reason to be hopeful as you say. I can express great optimism for your future given my own experience and those of many others that I have read about.

It is not an easy road by any means. But it is a far better road then before.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

I have heard this week that David Carey is not currently taking new clients/assessments, at least for next couple of months. Hopefully this will change. Will update as and when I get any

• Advertisement

HADD event in Trinity this evening, is now sold out. topic, Adults & ADHD. https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/adults-and-adhd-tickets-43174691665 live webinar this evening. http://hadd.ie/news/adults-and-adhd-talk-now-be-broadcast-live

I don't know the speakers, but will try to check it out :)

Great! thank you, I'll be watching for sure.

Feu, thanks so much for the speedy reply and the advise to fill out our the CADDEX form, which I was not aware of!

Had a quick look and it certainly helps with taming one’s thoughts we regard to the myriad issues and difficulties they experience.

I’m now aware that you need an assessment from someone who is approved by the HSE. I have a medical card and am not working so while I can scratch together the assessment fee, I need to know I will be able to get medication should that be indicated or recommended.

Dr. Alan Murtagh is with the NAAS clinic and from what I can gather had expertise and is HSE validated. I intend to ask my GP to refer me there depending on the size of the waiting list.

I am very grateful for having found this thread and that it exists at all in what seems to be a vacuum of information about ADHD amongst Irish adults.

Thanks again,

Paul

Hi Paul

there is always, I believe, hope for all of us that things can improve. Recovery is not linear, but rather a mountain range with peaks and valleys, that we can traverse well, with support.With support, young people and adults with ADHD, (and other conditions) can flourish, and there is a wealth of information here Paul, so definitely take your time, and read through it. I think Cannex would say that both medication and behavioural modification work well together :)

* sorry for the multi-posts, disorganised today!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Orionis

Thanks again,

Paul

Paul, I might be able to help clarify some of your concerns regarding the HSE and the medical card.

There's really no such thing as HSE approved doctors in terms of adult ADHD. Unfortunately, people on here have been told this when they try to access services but to be honest, It's a bit of a made up thing that's probably down to HSE administrators or whoever deciding they won't accept the diagnosis made by particular clinicians. It's pretty questionable for them to say particular clinicians are "not approved" to say the least.

Having said that, in practical terms, you may indeed find you run into less difficulties if your assessed by particular clinicians that..shall we say have a reputation for more thorough assessments!

In terms of the medical card, virtually all of the medications available in Ireland for adult ADHD and discussed on here are covered under the medical card so nothing to worry about there.

Where the slight snag can occur is that quite a few of the medications are only licensed for children in Ireland and not adults. This is fine though- they can still be prescribed without issue but the GP and/or consultant does take on a degree of risk/liability for doing so some doctors can be a bit reluctant.

So as Cannex has said, a lot really comes down to finding a good GP in terms of how smooth things will be. He/She needs to be happy to prescribe following your assessment and diagnosis. GP's here are highly variable in terms of their awareness of ADHD and their willingness to prescribe these medications.

If you have any other questions, just shout and I'll do my best to help if I can.

Thank you so much Orionis and all other who have replied to me.

The meeting with the GP is in the morning but because i’m a patient in one of those new style ‘corporate’ clinics I tend to see a different GP each time. However, I have asked for an appointment with the main doctor and as I recall he himself is rather unusual but understanding. So perhaps it might go well!
    I understand now that having any involvement from the HSE is not a necessity at all, but considering I have a medical card I had (wrongly) assumed that in order to fill a prescription I would need some sort of HSE approval through my GP. Let me say, this thread here is INVALUABLE for anyone stumbling around in the dark with this issue and again thanks to all who have contributed their knowledge and experience.

I am going to ask my GP for a referral to Alan Murtagh. I would like to get a through but accurate assessment. I’m almost certain that I have almost all the key traits but having a label isn’t the be all and end all for me. It’s rather about improving the quality of my life and feeling more comfortable in the world.

I’ll be sure to report back.

Thanks,

Paul

• Advertisement

Hello!

Met with my GP this morning and he has written me a letter of referral to Dr. Alan Murtagh.

I have left a message with the Dr.’s secretary and the hope is it will not take too long to get an appointment.

My GP was understanding but he did say that there are some medicines that the clinic may not be able to transcribe for my medical card if they are regarded as ‘alternative’ or whatever.

This seems to be the standard.

Anyway, I have taken s step forward in the journey today.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm afraid at last report it was a year for an adult appointment for ADHD. Have you considered private treatment in NI? Is that an option?

Well done in taking a step forward.

Hi Samuel.

Yes, just been told by Mr. Murtagh’s secretary that the waiting list is one year. And that is a list being worked through by TWO clinicians in John Of God’s. She asked me to send on the referrral letter from my GP. I was too disappointed to even ask the cost of the assessment. I have heard of one individual paying up to €3000 for assessment although that must have involved a number of different appointments.

When researching Mr. Murtagh I found s story about the HSE trying to set up some sort of programme/centre of care for adults diagnosed with ADHD. The story is from back in 2016.

I guess if I wanted to travel to NI to do it I would need to go back to my GP for a different referral to another doctor?

Thanks

Hi Samuel.

Yes, just been told by Mr. Murtagh’s secretary that the waiting list is one year. And that is a list being worked through by TWO clinicians in John Of God’s. She asked me to send on the referrral letter from my GP. I was too disappointed to even ask the cost of the assessment. I have heard of one individual paying up to €3000 for assessment although that must have involved a number of different appointments.

When researching Mr. Murtagh I found s story about the HSE trying to set up some sort of programme/centre of care for adults diagnosed with ADHD. The story is from back in 2016.

I guess if I wanted to travel to NI to do it I would need to go back to my GP for a different referral to another doctor?

Thanks

I don't think you'd need another referral. The problem would be aftercare. I was seen up at Malone Medical Chambers in Belfast for £400 but my care is under a psychiatrist here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

So after years of the usual ADHD symptoms I only recently realised that those symptoms were actually those of ADHD. I'm trying to do the right thing and get assessed but like you all I've found it basically impossible to identify someone. Fitzgerald no longer does adults, Murtagh has a year long waiting list. Who else is there in this country that one can go to?

I'm not in Dublin but Midlands/west or NW would suit. Is NI (Derry/Omagh/Enniskillen) any better or is it all centered in Dub/Belfast/Cork?

Hi Pique!

unfortunately I cannot recommend any service at the moment, i posted a few posts above there, but as you have found out there is very little service available in this area at the moment. Someone else may be able to recommend something up north. The aadduk website is unattractive but has some useful links and help, I think. There is a list of UK services here, including northern Ireland: https://aadduk.org/help-support/specialists-support-and-coaches/
    For Pique and Paul Francis, maybe you could give some examples of your difficulties (or frustrations!) and I am sure there will be some helpful replies :pac:

I attended a Doctor at Malone medical chambers and once diagnosed the a Physiatrist I was already attending took over treatment as a pretty huge favour given I was attending her for something else. As an FYI I have to attend weekly for monitoring as the medication is very tightly controlled and I have mild hypertension.

It was £400 for the diagnosis and I'd be surprised if you'd get much change for £1000 for initial follow ups. The advantage of going up North though is they can prescribe 6 months. Here it's a month and then only when they're happy with the dosage.

Thanks for that Mr Cogley, that is the one specific one recommended by aadduk, for the North. Did you have to wait long?

Thanks for that Mr Cogley, that is the one specific one recommended by aadduk, for the North. Did you have to wait long?

Literally only a couple of weeks, but I hear that's unusual and it's normally more like six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Hi can anyone recommend an ADHD simulator? - A video or activity that lets someone experience and understand what its like to have ADHD. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi can anyone recommend an ADHD simulator? - A video or activity that lets someone experience and understand what its like to have ADHD. Thanks.

Drink copious amounts of vodka and redbull.

Drink copious amounts of vodka and redbull.

Seriously. Im giving a talk to adult educators in a University to raise awareness for adult ADHD. Would love if someone could recommend a short (5 - 15 minute) activity or 5 minute video which shows what its like to have ADHD.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Not to sound abrasive but if a simulation exists and you're qualified to be giving a talk on ADHD, surely you'd know about it?

Maybe they're a sufferer?

Thanks Samuel, I appreciate it but im not looking for videos about ADHD, im looking for videos or activities which simulate ADHD - So that the viewers/participants can get a feel for the struggle associated with the disorder - this will hopefully encourage empathy and understanding. - Thats my fault, I didnt explain what I meant.
    - if I was giving a talk on Dyslexia I might give the participants a difficult object to build/put together with instructions - but the instructions could be partly in latin making it harder for participants to read and follow. - This might give them an understanding of what its like to be in the shoes of someone whose dyslexic. - This would be an example of a simulated activity.

I can imagine how you'd simulate ADHD without altering someone's mental state.

Hey, I dont actually think an adhd simulator exists to be perfectly honest.
    Have you seen the youtube channel 'How to ADHD' ? Her videos are really short snippets and geared towards kids and adults, she covers a lot of the stuff we struggle with, very imformative from a person with adhds perspective.

This video below is lots of sound bites, might be helpful.

Good luck with your presentation.
    2 mins long:
    'This is What It's Really Like to Have ADHD'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Here's a light-hearted demonstration:

*modsnip*

• Advertisement

This is the ADHD Seminar hosted by HADD - the Irish charity dedicated to ADHD. It happened in Trinity College Dublin in March 2018
    http://www.hadd.ie/

They have been working hard to highlight that it doesnt just disappear when you turn 18. Two thirds of the video go into detail on the latest research in Europe. The final third is lady from the HSE who describes the state of services in Ireland for adults with adhd. She describes a new service for adults, beginning next year, in two areas, I think its Dublin and the midlands.

You may have to watch the end of the video to get the details, but If folk are in that area are trying to find a specialist consultant to see them, I would suggest getting a referal to the mental health services in your area so that you are ready to be seen when the service gets up and running and say that you want to be assessed for ADHD and you want to know about this adult adhd service. If more people do this, it might light a fire under their asses. Dont let them fob you off with unsuitable treatment.

Advertisement