Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Watch him Sunday he’s very good at this level, come off it everyone else his age is playing Ail or A team rugby and he’s starring for a team that’s in the champions cup QF and second in the premiership but it doesn’t say much ?

Well, that comment was obviously tongue in cheek. But as I've said repeatedly, he is not a back-rower, they just don't really have another option at 6. He'll be going up against Fardy, who really is a 6, and one of the best in the world at that. At this stage you're just arguing semantics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

yeah fardy over a 19 year old without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭scott1974

The "A" team won 17-6 against Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Any standouts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Any standouts?

Frawley. But got injured at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

MDunne14 wrote: »
    not to mention plays in a tougher league for a less dominant side

This is not true. Lots of terrible teams in that league.
    If I take sarries, wasps, leiceter and Exeter out I'm left a load of dross. Which is pretty similar in the pro14.

If I take sarries, wasps, leiceter and Exeter out I'm left a load of dross. Which is pretty similar in the pro14.

You'd take Leicester out?

You'd take Leicester out?
    They are slowly picking up form, they will probably be good next year, they go through cycles like Munster or Leinster. Point is that premiership rugby is no higher a standard than pro14. Noticeably Lower standard this year. A 10 year average would put them behind slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Byrne in not great form.. had a chance last weekend to cement place in 23 and failed. Could be injury related but thats the reality.
    That's not a statement that equals the facts of the match. Little to no go-forward ball as the pack were not winning collisions and we got turned over through choke tackles. Byrne's tactical kicking was good e.g. grubber though for Daly try, good territorial gain on an excellent out of hand in first half and his high balls in second half inviting a chase. His defence as usual was very solid and he took up a couple of physical carries from the backfield. So he fluffed a touchline conversion which he normally nails - is that what constitutes having a bad game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

wise7 wrote: »
    That's not a statement that equals the facts of the match. Little to no go-forward ball as the pack were not winning collisions and we got turned over through choke tackles. Byrne's tactical kicking was good e.g. grubber though for Daly try, good territorial gain on an excellent out of hand in first half and his high balls in second half inviting a chase. His defence as usual was very solid and he took up a couple of physical carries from the backfield. So he fluffed a touchline conversion which he normally nails - is that what constitutes having a bad game?

why was he dropped then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Any standouts?

Ed Byrne for me, and the two centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It would be utterly dense to put Byrne at 22 ahead of Carbery. What happens if Kearney gets injured? We have to try and put ROL or Ringrose into a position they're not overly familiar with and move another player to 15.

Or we could have a guy who has excelled at 15 in knock out rugby at 15 as well as being a 10 by trade.

The coaches knew who was wearing 22 long before last week. Carbery is a far more suitable bench option than Byrne. It's going to help and hinder his career in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

irishfan9 wrote: »
    why was he dropped then?
    Not dropped. Just behind two capped internationals.

I’d wager if Sexton picked up a knock tomorrow Byrne would start at 10 and Carbs would stay on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

.ak wrote: »
    I’d wager if Sexton picked up a knock tomorrow Byrne would start at 10 and Carbs would stay on the bench.
    Not sure that would happen at such late notice. Really depends on how they've been setting up in training. But it would be a strange decision to bring in a guy not in the squad ahead of the designated deputy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I see supporters are encouraged to get to their seats early for a presentation to Heaslip

I wondered why then and not at half time. Which do they reckon they'll get more people there for?

I'm kinda hoping for something at the RDS instead/as well, to be honest.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not sure that would happen at such late notice. Really depends on how they've been setting up in training. But it would be a strange decision to bring in a guy not in the squad ahead of the designated deputy.

I might be imagining it but didn’t something similar happen last season albeit not such late notice?

Anyway the point I’m making is until Carbery gets significant game time again at 10 he’s 3rd choice starting 10 for the Leinster management IMO.

I wondered why then and not at half time. Which do they reckon they'll get more people there for?

Most people go to get drinks and toilet at half time. There’s a bit more of a buzz around the stadium in the build up. Also it’s something to encourage supporters to be in their seats and shouting for kick off

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I might be imagining it but didn’t something similar happen last season albeit not such late notice?

Anyway the point I’m making is until Carbery gets significant game time again at 10 he’s 3rd choice starting 10 for the Leinster management IMO.

It happened against Montpellier at home earlier this season. Fardy was starting with Molony on the bench but James Ryan went straight into the starting lineup when Fardy’s wife had their baby.

Kevski wrote: »
    It happened against Montpellier at home earlier this season. Fardy was starting with Molony on the bench but James Ryan went straight into the starting lineup when Fardy’s wife had their baby.

Ah I was referring to the Byrne/Joey situation but yeah that’s fairly similar. The management often have a clear favourite for starting position that does not reflect on who gets picked on the bench as backup.

Wasn’t it last season when Sexton had to pull out of one or two games and everyone expected Joey to start but Byrne was there instead? Not exactly like for like but I think the management rate Byrne as a starter until Carbery develops his ability to control a game more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Byrne strikes me as the better outhalf, he's worked very hard at his game and is more consistent. Haven't seen enough of Carbery at 10 to be honest, would love to see him get a run of regular season games at 10 to see what he can do, bundles of natural talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

You would get far more people in their seats earlier for before the game. Half time most people leave for drinks etc so not really best time for it.

You would get far more people in their seats earlier for before the game. Half time most people leave for drinks etc so not really best time for it.
    I've given up on pints at all games, it's a complete waste of time, you'd be better with a small drop of whiskey for a casual sip and no bathroom breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Most people go to get drinks and toilet at half time. There’s a bit more of a buzz around the stadium in the build up. Also it’s something to encourage supporters to be in their seats and shouting for kick off

Yeah, I suppose.

Here's hoping it actually works and there's enough there for the presentation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Matt Williams and Reggie Corrigan are on Off the Ball now chatting about when Matt first came to Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Obviously, we all hope Munster win but would Leinster rather play Munster or Toulon in a potential final?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Obviously, we all hope Munster win but would Leinster rather play Munster or Toulon in a potential final?

Munster I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Munster I'd imagine

I'd prefer it to be an all ireland final, but I would be much more confident of beating any of the French teams over Munster. We will have to play the best two teams left in the competition to get to the final. Munster are not as good a team as Racing or Clermont, but the derby factor makes it much more unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Have to work tomorrow night so heading straight after the match, out near blanchardstown for 7. Was thinking of parking in clanna na gael as someone told me they do paid parking for the aviva matches. That way I can go through the port tunnel and around the m50. Anyone park down there before or even have a better idea? Does it be full ages before the game or would I be okay to park at say 2 45?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

salmocab wrote: »
    Have to work tomorrow night so heading straight after the match, out near blanchardstown for 7. Was thinking of parking in clanna na gael as someone told me they do paid parking for the aviva matches. That way I can go through the port tunnel and around the m50. Anyone park down there before or even have a better idea? Does it be full ages before the game or would I be okay to park at say 2 45?

You are leaving yourself tight, I dont know about the place you mention.

On Serpentine Ave across the AIB HQ there is a place that normally has spots. From google maps it says Pembroke Wanderers Hockey.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pembroke+Wanderers+Hockey+Club/@53.3290349,-6.2262842,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670ec4e7852679:0x3100df8f313db6df!8m2!3d53.3290349!4d-6.2240955

I have drove in before, I just go around the street and normally you will find a spot, just give yourself time as you might have a bit of a walk

Dont rely on the trains....I planned on using it before, I got onto train to connect to Pearse, it sat on tracks more or less till it was jammed full....then off it went

It didn't matter about connecting train times, then I was stuck in Connolly for about an hour waiting for the next Blanch train

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement