Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »
    Self-bans are welcome.

You’d be surprised how many times I’ve tried this.

That’s a brilliant Sarries team tho. Just our luck getting them as 8th seed as they’re hitting form. They could get the upper hand on our pack, I wonder what sort of game plan we plan on bringing here to keep them away from the ball.

I also think the biggest bonus to us is having Garces as a ref. I think we’ll be a better team in the discipline battle and hopefully that counts towards 6 points or so.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Byrne covers 10 Carbery covers 10 + 15, don’t think this selection says anything other than Carbery is more versatile.

He's the replacement 10, ROL is covering back three. I still accept your point but him being versatile is just another reason to have him in the pecking order behind Sexton, not a reason as far as I'm concerned to dismiss him as second choice 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

.ak wrote: »
    That’s a brilliant Sarries team tho. Just our luck getting them as 8th seed as they’re hitting form. They could get the upper hand on our pack, I wonder what sort of game plan we plan on bringing here to keep them away from the ball.

It's an excellent team but there's has to be a question around the fitness of some of them be it injury or fatigue and how they may last.

They also really aren't in good form. They've lost 2 of their last 3 and 3 of their last 6. Ended up labouring to a win against an awful Quins side after a great start

• Advertisement

Do you think?

I'd take George and Itoje. There are one or two 50:50s after that but for the most part I would be surprised if their pack got on top, especially away from home.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm happier with our bench to theirs to be honest. I think we have their number up front and there's good mobility coming off the bench. Stop them getting quick ball and have farrell stand deep all day and we'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I would rather they play half injured world class players than very good fresh players. I look forward to seeing them in the lineout v toner, Ryan and fardy. I look forward to 35 year old shalk burger inspired backrow versus leavy and fardy. I look forward to our impact off the bench in the forwards. My only concern for Leinster is Isa, Jordi at 8 and replacements at centre. I don't think this will be as hard as people are making out.

Will never happen but would love if this and games like it were in the RDS. Better atmosphere, better record and you don't have 5,000 sarries fans making themselves visible

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What form are they hitting? They've lost 2 of their last 4 including at home to Leicester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Surprised that Byrne has been left out, if Sexton goes off early you'd trust more in Byrne to steer the ship than Carberry, don't think the back 3 cover is the reason either, as there's a few players who can cover all back 3 positions already.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He's the replacement 10, ROL is covering back three. I still accept your point but him being versatile is just another reason to have him in the pecking order behind Sexton, not a reason as far as I'm concerned to dismiss him as second choice 10.

ROL certainly isn't covering all of the back three

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I actually think our pack could do a number on theirs. Especially at the breakdown and at scrum time. And if they are looking to play a conservative, territory & set piece game then I think that will play into our hands.

It will take a very good performance, but if we are firing I can see us winning by 10+ points. And I wouldn't be surprised with something like a 27 - 10 or similar scoreline.

Biggest worry is definitely bringing all the 6N lads back in smoothly. If that doesn't happen then it could easily be one of those games which is mistake ridden, in which case it could be very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

typhoony wrote: »
    Surprised that Byrne has been left out, if Sexton goes off early you'd trust more in Byrne to steer the ship than Carberry, don't think the back 3 cover is the reason either, as there's a few players who can cover all back 3 positions already.
    I've zero qualms in Carbery coming on early. He played 30 minutes at 10 against England in our biggest game in years and handled himself more than capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I wouldn't say they've really hit form. They beat a mediocre Quins team at home by a mediocre scoreline last weekend and the game was in the balance until the closing stages. They lost their previous 2 matches.

With that said, it's a cracking team. That's 4 starting English internationals and Lions in their front five along with Figallo who was widely considered the best tighthead in the world not too long ago.

If we're going to win, it's going to be from 6-10 and that's going to be one hell of a battle particularly at the breakdown. Injuries couldn't have come at a worse time, really. In January, we were looking at potentially having Leavy, VDF, Conan, SOB, Heaslip, Ruddock and Murphy to choose from for the back row. The injuries have completely swung the balance back far closer to parity now with 5 of those not being in a position to start tomorrow.

Everyone is talking about Farrell vs Sexton but it's the performance of Luke McGrath which is more crucial. He's only back from injury and we don't really have the option of bringing someone in from the bench to change things up. He'll be playing the full 80, I'd imagine and Spencer is a decent player to bring on when Wigglesworth is spent after an hour.

If we win, there's a huge amount on our forwards bench to come in and turn the screw. I would hate to be in a position where we're trying to come from behind at that point though; Saracens are experienced enough and good enough to just kill the game if they get any sort of lead in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd have started treacy and released Cronin for the last 30 minutes.
    I'm actually disappointed that R.B is not the back up 10. He's become one of my favorite players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Clegg wrote: »
    I've zero qualms in Carbery coming on early. He played 30 minutes at 10 against England in our biggest game in years and handled himself more than capable.

Agree entirely. Plus he covers fullback which could (but hopefully won't) be important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Byrne in not great form.. had a chance last weekend to cement place in 23 and failed. Could be injury related but thats the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I have never been more confident about a european knockout game, I think it could be over by half time.

Edit: except the Ulster european final

Ross Byrne was never going to get the 22 jersey ahead of Carbery especially with our absentees in the back line. It's difficult to say precisely which is the preferred back up 10 but I don't think Byrne was ever in with any chance of getting the 22 jersey. It would make no sense and leave us exposed in the event of an injury at 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Do you think?

I'd take George and Itoje. There are one or two 50:50s after that but for the most part I would be surprised if their pack got on top, especially away from home.

Mako is well ahead of Healy in fairness, isiekwe v fardy will be interesting they are very similar in how they play . One with lots of experience towards back end of his career v the other with little experience at the beginning of his

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Mako is well ahead of Healy in fairness, isiekwe v fardy will be interesting they are very similar in how they play . One with lots of experience towards back end of his career v the other with little experience at the beginning of his

lol no mako is not

I see supporters are encouraged to get to their seats early for a presentation to Heaslip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I have never been more confident about a european knockout game, I think it could be over by half time.

Edit: except the Ulster european final

The qf against Cardiff in 2012.

I’m cackling this one though. It’s basically an international match.

irishfan9 wrote: »
    lol no mako is not

Mako in 2017/18 on average per game makes 17.6 yards from an average of 10 carries compared to Healy’s 7.35 yards a game from 6.2 .. mako averages 9.8 tackles a game compared to Healy’s 6. Mako in 24 games has made 6 clean breaks , beaten 31 defenders and has had 71 passes + 6 offloads .. Healy in 20 games has 1 clean break , beaten 16 defenders and made 23 passes + 2 offloads

So mako has a better work rate, makes more yards, beats more defenders, has way better hands and far better discipline and not to mention plays in a tougher league for a less dominant side.. so what’s your case for Healy been better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Healy is in brilliant form, he's miles ahead of Vunipola who's been playing like a drain. Isiekwe is a weakness, he's a second row really, he started at 6 against Exeter a few weeks ago and was barely noticeable. They're just really hamstrung by injuries.

That Leinster team is stronger in nearly every position, we should be very confident going into this.

How many minutes per game does Vunipola get compared to Healy who comes off early for McGrath in every game?

I would take Vunipola but there's not much in it. And through their careers, Vunipola has always been as much a penalty liability as anyone.

Healy is in brilliant form, he's miles ahead of Vunipola who's been playing like a drain. Isiekwe is a weakness, he's a second row really, he started at 6 against Exeter a few weeks ago and was barely noticeable. They're just really hamstrung by injuries.

That Leinster team is stronger in nearly every position, we should be very confident going into this.

Isiekwe has been one of sarries best players this year , not to mention he’s younger than Caelan Doris and ronan kelleher. the kid is 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Isiekwe has been one of sarries best players this year , not to mention he’s younger than Caelan Doris and ronan kelleher. the kid is 19

I know he's good, saw a bit of him at underage levels and on the summer tour. But he's not a 6, similar to how Courtney Lawes isn't a 6. That's a weakness. Also, given how Sarries' season has gone, being one of their best players this season isn't saying much.

• Advertisement

I know he's good, saw a bit of him at underage levels and on the summer tour. But he's not a 6, similar to how Courtney Lawes isn't a 6. That's a weakness. Also, given how Sarries' season has gone, being one of their best players this season isn't saying much.

Watch him Sunday he’s very good at this level, come off it everyone else his age is playing Ail or A team rugby and he’s starring for a team that’s in the champions cup QF and second in the premiership but it doesn’t say much ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement