Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careless cyclists.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

amcalester wrote: »
    I don’t think he’s an idiot but he has definitely made some idiotic posts.

I would have agreed with you up until his outright dismissal of multiple reasoned posts as gibberish & waffle without reading them. Ignorance of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    At the risk of getting an infraction, you sir are an idiot

That was an extremely immature comment. And that's the attitude those people who have valid criticisms and opinions of cyclists have to deal with. I will not allow you to drag my part of the thread down to your level . I gave my opinion as a gentleman unlike you. You oppose accountability for cyclists.

jon1981 wrote: »
    I can be easily identified by my drivers licence. What's wrong with this? Or my cycling ireland licence

That might be convenient for you but not for everyone else since first of all its not mandated that you carry an ID on a bicycle by law and secondly having no registration plate means you can whizz off leaving accountability behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I would have agreed with you up until his outright dismissal of multiple reasoned posts as gibberish & waffle without reading them. Ignorance of the highest order.

That’s just his way of admitting defeat without having to actually say the words.

That was an extremely immature comment. And that's the attitude those people who have valid criticisms and opinions of cyclists have to deal with. I will not allow you to drag my part of the thread down to your level . I gave my opinion as a gentleman unlike you. You oppose accountability for cyclists.

Actually I did give a thought out & reasoned response. Which you dismissed out of hand as gibberish & waffle without reading it. My follow up comment was putting it in terms you could follow as you clearly weren’t interested in discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

That might be convenient for you but not for everyone else since first of all its not mandated that you carry an ID on a bicycle by law and secondly having no registration plate means you can whizz off leaving accountability behind you.

Haha do you really think a plate on a bicycle would be visible enough to catch at a gimpse anyway? You have seen how small a bicycle is compared to a car?

It's impracticable and a waste of time and money to ask our over stretched Gardai to police such a thing.

The solution here is better infrastructure not more barriers to cycling.

• Advertisement

Haha do you really think a plate on a bicycle would be visible enough to catch at a gimpse anyway? You have seen how small a bicycle is compared to a car?

It's impracticable and a waste of time and money to ask our over stretched Gardai to police such a thing.

You’re arguing with someone who doesn’t want to engage. His minds already made up.

Just on the license plate suggestion; the near miss thread is full of clips with footage of motorists breaking the law and the guards show no interest in following it up.

I’m sure the dash cam has the same issue.

One clip I remember a van knocked a cyclist over and the guards did nothing despite the plate being visible.

So, again, it’s a lack of enforcement that is the issue not accountability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

There should be enforcement of careless cycling laws against cyclists.

Cyclists should be forbidden to pass too close to cars. And all cyclists should have an identifying number plate on the bicycle.

I seen a cyclist fly past a bus filled with commuters, inconsiderate so and so passed so close the force from the wind blew the bus right over. He didn't hit the bus so technically it was grand, but a lot of people on that bus had to live with their injuries for the rest of their lives...

Haha do you really think a plate on a bicycle would be visible enough to catch at a gimpse anyway?

It would enable me to use dashcam footage to report reckless dangerous cyclists who risk my life and my families lives when I am driving them from A to B

And dont worry about not being held accountable - because the dashcams of the future will only get better as will the cctv.

All I see are a pile of excuses from cyclists for dodging accountability. And personal insults towards drivers such as myself who support accountability for everyone. You cant have it both ways.

Funny how cyclists have never been acknowledged for killing nobody on Irish roads or paths!

• Advertisement

It would enable me to use dashcam footage to report reckless dangerous cyclists who risk my life and my families lives when I am driving them from A to B

How can a cyclist risk your life in a car?!?

You must keep the Gardai busy because there's an awful lot of bad drivers out there and no doubt you spend most of your week reporting them.

And dont worry about not being held accountable - because the dashcams of the future will only get better as will the cctv.

All I see are a pile of excuses from cyclists for dodging accountability. And personal insults towards drivers such as myself who support accountability for everyone. You cant have it both ways.

You’re ignoring & dismissing an awful lot of posts that actually address your ill informed points...

How exactly is a cyclist, who presumably is outside your car, risking your life while you sit ensconced in a 1000kg metal box traveling at 50kmh?

You’re losing any credibility you had with hyperbole like that.

How can a cyclist risk your life in a car?!?

You must keep the Gardai busy because there's an awful lot of bad drivers out there and no doubt you spend most of your week reporting them.

He can hurl himself under my car and then sue me or get me blamed . I've had maniac cyclists taking left turns across my bonnet from my right side while I was creeping and peeping to merge from a minor to a major road. Theres no shortage of maniacs on bicycles. He can cause an accident and then flee the scene unidentified.
    And I'm not reading the hysterical gibberish on this page which is designed to waste my time and energy and distract from my main point. You lot can deflect all you want. A cyclist who obeys the rules of the road has nothing to fear from a registration plate

He can hurl himself under my car and then sue me or get me blamed . I've had maniac cyclists taking left turns across my bonnet from my right side while I was creeping and peeping to merge from a minor to a major road. Theres no shortage of maniacs on bicycles. He can cause an accident and then flee the scene unidentified.
    And I'm not reading the hysterical gibberish on this page which is designed to waste my time and energy and distract from my main point. You lot can deflect all you want. A cyclist who obeys the rules of the road has nothing to fear from a registration plate

So they don’t pose any risk your life. Thanks for clearing that up.

And then you claim other people are posting hysterical rubbish.

Fair play, I take back my earlier comment. I no longer think you’re not an idiot.

The registration plate is the least of your worries if a cyclists wipes you and your family out. What a ridiculous argument.

You do realise a cyclist has never killed anyone on Irish roads to my memory despite all this "ooooh the big bad cyclist" talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

He can hurl himself under my car and then sue me or get me blamed . I've had maniac cyclists taking left turns across my bonnet from my right side while I was creeping and peeping to merge from a minor to a major road.

So you were merging with a major road and they came from the major road on the right. How is them having the right of way making them maniacs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Where exactly on a bicycle would you propose fitting such a plate?

Ironically the Swiss trialed such a measure, turns out it didn't work.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You do realise a cyclist has never killed anyone on Irish roads to my memory despite all this "ooooh the big bad cyclist" talk.

Never is not true.

Although not in recent years, not never.

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    Never is not true.

Although not in recent years, not never.

How many years would you have to go back?

P_1 wrote: »
    Where exactly on a bicycle would you propose fitting such a plate?

Ironically the Swiss trialed such a measure, turns out it didn't work.

It will work now . They can even put it on the back of compulsory cycle helmets.

The tone and attitude above in posts towards my legitimate opinion is appalling by the way. I have been hit by cyclists cycling the wrong way down the street. I have also had a few close calls while holding my daughters hand crossing the road. Cyclists take full advantage of the legal situation car drivers are in and they cycle right up to the limits of the patience and skills of drivers.
    Theres a lot of arrogance and desire to dodge accountability from certain characters who cycle on this thread.

It will work now . They can even put it on the back of optional cycle helmets.

Fixed that for you, but I think you knew that.

helmets should be compulsory. Thats another thing. You can drone on about safety all you want but if you refuse compulsory helmets while whinging about the dangers of roads then Im just laughing at you

helmets should be compulsory. Thats another thing. You can drone on about safety all you want but if you refuse compulsory helmets while whinging about the dangers of roads then Im just laughing at you

Helmets won’t do much good when a car driven by a law breaking motorists plows into the back of a cyclist.

Im not interested in reading the waffle above. Noise and gibberish is all it is

You can engage or — quite frankly — you can get lost.

The Commuting and Transport board is for mature discussion, and name calling, and people clearly not even reading other people’s posts and saying they aren’t going to engage.

— moderator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It will work now . They can even put it on the back of compulsory cycle helmets.....

Spending millions on the scheme is not the problem. The problem is it won't be enforced. Likewise helmets. We have a law regarding lights at night. Not enforced.

Why not enforce the existing laws before spending millions on create new ones which will have no effect.

Better off spending millions on created a proper cycling network or on cops to enforce existing laws.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/unnecessary-deaths-caused-by-low-spend-on-cycling-infrastructure-1.2837200

Sorry, but you’re not allowed to “fix” the quoted section of posts.

— moderator

How many years would you have to go back?

Something like 15-20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

monument wrote: »
    Something like 15-20 years.

It was in the 1990s. 97 springs to mind but I can't be sure that's right. The Cyclist.ie folks have the info AFAIK.

Advertisement