Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careless cyclists.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

What is the ratio of pedestrian deaths caused by themselves versus motorust

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A quick Google
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/pedestrian-injured-clash-dublin-crash/

She was critically injured due to him breaking the lights.

So no-one was killed, proving your initial claim to be wrong. BTW, how did you work out that it was the cyclist that was breaking the lights?

That may well be true but my point is that there are videos of cyclist s doing stupid stuff that causes crashes

Would you like to link to 2 or 3 examples of these videos, showing Irish cyclists doing stupid stuff that causes crashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Research it yourself if you're that concerned, but you'll likely find that most pedestrian deaths are due to drunk, careless, dangerous, fatigued, drug and bad driving by motorists.
    What harm is wanting to reduce the figures. Rules and refs only effect those that break the rules

There's no harm in wanting to reduce the figures, and the biggest culprit by a very very long shot it the motorist, not the cyclist or the pedestrian so we obviously need to focus on drivers of cars!

Your reference to dash cam footage is evidence enough. Look at the threads on the motoring dashcam videos on boards.ie from truck drivers, van drivers, motorbike drivers and car drivers where cycle cams are handily banned! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Research it yourself if you're that concerned, but you'll likely find that most pedestrian deaths are due to drunk, careless, dangerous, fatigued, drug and bad driving by motorists.

There's no harm in wanting to reduce the figures, and the biggest culprit by a very very long shot it the motorist, not the cyclist or the pedestrian so we obviously need to focus on drivers of cars!

Your reference to dash cam footage is evidence enough. Look at the threads on the motoring dashcam videos on boards.ie from truck drivers, van drivers, motorbike drivers and car drivers where cycle cams are handily banned! ;)

your claiming all pedestrian and cyclist deaths are motorists fault. all im saying is that some of them are there own fault. just like some mororist deaths are their own fault, the rest are other motorists fault
    the reason for cycle cam videos being banned (actually just directed to the cycling sction) is because they always end up in a big row. not because of it showing motorists at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There are a lot of videos of stupid stuff.

How many cyclists were killed in road collisions last year with cars; how many pedestrians were killed in collisions with cyclist in the last twenty years.

I cycle and drive.

It's not an either/or situation.
    Both are in the wrong.
    Both drive with no lights. Both break lights. Both injure/ kill people.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I cycle and drive.

Both are in the wrong.
    In fairness you're the poster who acting out of a form of road rage decided to follow a cyclist who did something wrong only to be prevented from doing anything to them by heavy traffic (which you describe as "a pity").
    Your concern for road behaviour doesn't wash!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the whole car v bike problem is one of educating drivers that cyclists are out there, are entitled to their road-space and are highly vulnerable.
    Yes, cyclists do stupid and illegal things, but most in fact don't , any more than all drivers do, but some drivers do need to change their attitude that they rule the road, applies equally to the rights of pedestrians too.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

To the OP. I cycle each day on that road, I usually use the tunnel however at night and early morning I avoid using it as I don't know who would be down their and I feel it's safer to stay on the main road. I've noticed some cyclists use the wrong lane ( right hand lane ) and end up cutting across lanes to get safely back to the kerb. I use the middle lane to go straight to swords it's also a lane for the m1, but you need to leave the hard shoulder before the roundabout shoulder early in order to be in traffic as when the hard shoulder ends you are automatically in the left lane to go to donabate I'm not fast but that's not my problem when I'm in traffic it's up to the car behind to have patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

your claiming all pedestrian and cyclist deaths are motorists fault. all im saying is that some of them are there own fault. just like some mororist deaths are their own fault, the rest are other motorists fault

Nope, I never claimed that, you're misquoting me now, stop that.
    the reason for cycle cam videos being banned (actually just directed to the cycling sction) is because they always end up in a big row. not because of it showing motorists at fault.

Why the big rows? Because motorists don’t like to be shown in a bad light by cyclists. Other motorists, yes, but not cyclists. The mods don’t allow the cycle cams for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Because motorists don’t like to be shown in a bad light by cyclists.

Many motorists generally don't like to be shown in bad light by anyone in that thread. Despite the person posting the footage being obviously in the wrong you always get people whinging about it being pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

P_1 wrote: »
    TBH that type of campaign would be more aimed at cyclists than truck drivers.

Very few cyclists hit bridges...

But many hit a wall..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Hurrache wrote: »
    But many hit a wall..

Irrelevant.

Petty .

What harm is wanting to reduce the figures. Rules and refs only effect those that break the rules

The 'harm' is the diversion of attention of policy makers, legislators, educators and enforcers from the 99% problem to the 1% problem. Would you go putting a band-aid on your papercut when your femoral artery is bleeding out?
    Maybe you should have checked out the relevant statistics BEFORE posting all the solutions?
    No-one said that "all pedestrian and cyclist deaths are motorists fault" - why do you need to exaggerate? But motorists and motor vehicles are involved in 99%
    of road deaths. Cyclists are involved in about 5% of road deaths. Which do you think is the priority issue for the relevant authorities?

I cycle and drive.

Both are in the wrong.

And you were doing so well there, right up to the 'both injure/kill people' which of course is factually wrong. No cyclist has killed anyone in Ireland for more than 15 years. In that time, about 4,500 people have been killed by motorists.

In the UK, the ratio is 1 or 2 deaths by cyclists each year compared to > 1700 deaths by motorists.

So the 'both injure/kill' line is utterly misleading.

And btw, in case you missed my earlier question.

Petty .

?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... No cyclist has killed anyone in Ireland for more than 15 years. In that time, about 4,500 people have been killed by motorists..
    As far as I can recall there have been 2 in the past 15/20 years. The courier incident in Merrion Row and the Phoenix Park incident last year.

(I'm open to correction but I think there was a 'medical' aspect to the Phoenix Park incident but can't recall now if it was the pedestrian or cyclist who suddenly became ill contributing to the accident.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

As far as I can recall there have been 2 in the past 15/20 years. The courier incident in Merrion Row and the Phoenix Park incident last year.

(I'm open to correction but I think there was a 'medical' aspect to the Phoenix Park incident but can't recall now if it was the pedestrian or cyclist who suddenly became ill contributing to the accident.)

Don't know what happened on Merrion Row, but the cyclist died in the Phoenix park. The pedestrian lived and it's presumed he caused the accident while crossing the cycling path.

The Phoenix Park incident involved the cyclist being killed, not killing someone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the phoenix park incident does not count in that the cyclist did not kill the pedestrian; in that the cyclist was the one who died.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/cyclist-killed-in-phoenix-park-collision-was-loving-family-man-36386300.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah I meant a campaign telling cyclists not to cycle up the inside of a left turning truck. I have also yet to encounter a cyclist cycling into a bridge unless you mean the poor chap who almost went over one in last years Vuelta

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Once again we have the disgusting justification of crime, on the basis that it is not the worst sort of crime. On this basis, all pickpockets, shoplifters, street brawlers, fraudsters, vandals, tax avoiders, speeders, polluters, etc could carry on as long as some people are killed in gang feuds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Once again we have the disgusting justification of crime, on the basis that it is not the worst sort of crime. On this basis, all pickpockets, shoplifters, street brawlers, fraudsters, vandals, tax avoiders, speeders, polluters, etc could carry on as long as some people are killed in gang feuds.

Disgusting? Reign it in there fella.

As annoying as cyclists breaking lights are it’s hardly comparable to the crimes you’ve listed which have a perpetrator and a victim.

Let me know where there is any disgusting justification of any crime on this thread please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Once again we have the disgusting justification of crime
    please point out where someone has been justifying crime. given your chosen username, i expect a proper application of the rules of logic here.

Another 'careless cyclist' I guess, according to the 'experts' on this thread;

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0320/948899-meath-rtc-fatal/

eeguy wrote: »
    Don't know what happened on Merrion Row, but the cyclist died in the Phoenix park..
    Apologies - for some reason I thought the pedestrian had died.

(In the Merrion Row incident, a cycling courier struck an elderly man while he (the courier) was cycling against the flow of traffic. The elderly man subsequently died possibly caused by an exacerbation of a pre-existing medical condition. The incident received a lot of publicity at the time as the courier left the scene and was chased by a number of people. He gathered a posse of other cycle couriers and challenged those chasing him.)

Another 'careless cyclist' I guess, according to the 'experts' on this thread;

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0320/948899-meath-rtc-fatal/
    You're out of order there Andrew. We have no idea of the circumstances of that accident yet and it's totally inappropriate to raise it at this time.

You're out of order there Andrew. We have no idea of the circumstances of that accident yet and it's totally inappropriate to raise it at this time.

Facts don't count for much round here, when you have the cyclist who was killed in the Phoenix Park being incorrectly blamed for killing someone else.

• Advertisement

Facts don't count for much round here, when you have the cyclist who was killed in the Phoenix Park being incorrectly blamed for killing someone else.
    My recollection of the events was incorrect which was easily verified/linked by several posters.

To speculate on an accident which just happened this evening and where there are no details available to the general public, is a different matter entirely.

Advertisement