Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careless cyclists.

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I don't know if this is just a Limerick thing or not, but the amount of cyclists in the city that cycle the wrong way, even on one way streets is getting scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Or our roads are dangerous places because you're surrounded by metal boxes. Remove them and very few people would be killed on the roads.

Remove them and not body would be able to travel anywhere.

Why should the world revolve around a few folks who like to cycle on the road?

Why not remove the bikes so no cyclist will get hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

jaxxx wrote: »
    I don't know if this is just a Limerick thing or not, but the amount of cyclists in the city that cycle the wrong way, even on one way streets is getting scary!

Nah, that happens in Dublin all the time and is something I've got a big issue with.

I once saw a woman with a baby strapped to her front and a child in a carrier on the back cycle the wrong way up Francis St, Dublin 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

You say that as though there should be a way to prevent cyclists from using the road? I like to cycle there and I have just as much right to use it as any motorist (I'm one of those also).

You say that as though there should be a way to prevent cyclists from using the road? I like to cycle there and I have just as much right to use it as any motorist (I'm one of those also).

I said it like what?

Cycle away. Im not preventing you . Just dont expect others to show you the red carpet. You are traffic like everyone else.

Deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I said it like what?

Cycle away. Im not preventing you . Just dont expect others to show you the red carpet. You are traffic like everyone else.

Deal with it.

When I drive I expect people to drive around me with care. I expect the same from drivers when I’m on the bike. Are my expectations too much for you?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

First, I don’t think anybody was actually saying that we should remove cars off the road... but let’s answer your question in theory...

If we take the above as a given and say that I also am not suggesting removing all cars from the roads:

It’s completely nonsense to say removing cars would mean that nobody would be able to travel anywhere. The vast bulk of daily trips people make are within cycling or even walking distance, electric bicycles increase the range even further for the average person.

Buses, trams and trains could make up a lot of the rest of the slack.

For the vast majority of people the level of car use we have is a luxury we as a society can't afford to continue (that doesn’t say everyone has to give up driving).

Why not ban cycling? Because the benefits to society outweigh the risk even more than the benefits to the individual outweighs the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I said it like what?

Deal with it.

As a fellow road user, I accommodate you by keeping well over to the left and using cycle lanes where safe to do so. I don't HAVE to do this, I do it primarily for my own safety but also out of consideration for fellow road users in faster vehicles. If that's not appreciated I'm more than happy to cycle dead in the centre of the lane as I'm perfectly entitled to do (after all, I'm traffic like everyone else), but I suspect that would anger you even more. Maybe have a think about which way the red carpet is going here, eh?

monument wrote: »
    First, I don’t think anybody was actually saying that we should remove cars off the road... but let’s answer your question in theory...

If we take the above as a given and say that I also am not suggesting removing all cars from the roads:

It’s completely nonsense to say removing cars would mean that nobody would be able to travel anywhere. The vast bulk of daily trips people make are within cycling or even walking distance, electric bicycles increase the range even further for the average person.

Buses, trams and trains could make up a lot of the rest of the slack.

For the vast majority of people the level of car use we have is a luxury we as a society can't afford to continue (that doesn’t say everyone has to give up driving).

Why not ban cycling? Because the benefits to society outweigh the risk even more than the benefits to the individual outweighs the risks.

You are talking from a city dweller point of view.

I dont think you understand that there is life outside the pale.. With little of no public transport and where cars are fine and a necessity. And society can afford them just fine. As can their owners. Little old Dorothy does not really fancy cycling 12 miles in the rain to the nearest Centra for a pint of milk.

Why ban anything? What gives anyone the right. If you read the quote I posted its was obvious is was being facetious when suggesting banning cycles.

I am saying that if you fancy your chances cycling down a country road mixing it up with artics and cars, then well for you. Good luck... You will need it. You are basically leaving your entire survival in the hands of complete strangers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I dont think you understand that there is life outside the pale.. With little of no public transport and where cars are fine and a necessity. And society can afford them just fine. As can their owners. Little old Dorothy does not really fancy cycling 12 miles in the rain to the nearest Centra for a pint of milk.

Why ban anything? What gives anyone the right. If you read the quote I posted its was obvious is was being facetious when suggesting banning cycles.

I am saying that if you fancy your chances cycling down a country road mixing it up with artics and cars, then well for you. Good luck... You will need it. You are basically leaving your entire survival in the hands of complete strangers.

I don’t live in a city centre or the pale. Best to actually tackle my post and not they to focus on me.

Do you avoid driving on roads where the speed limit is over 80km/h... what about 120km/h? A car hasn’t as chance against a truck.

Once speeds gets to a certain (depending on road user type), everyone on the road is basically leaving their entire survival in the hands of complete strangers. You just don’t see that as clear as you should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You are basically leaving your entire survival in the hands of complete strangers.

That's why we all have a duty of care to look out for other road users.

With Great power comes great responsibility! HGV drivers have the most, followed by Buses/Rigid Trucks, followed by Vans, then cars, then Motorbikes, then Cyclists and finally Pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If Little old Dorothy doesn't fancy cycling 12 miles in the rain for her pint of milk, she can wait for an hour or two by which time the rain will have passed. If that still doesn't work, she can get an eBike to take down the road very quickly with very little effort. If that doesn't work, she can do what her carless sister does, and hitch a lift, or get a taxi, or get the rural transport bus, or order online at Tesco.ie and let them deliver, or whatever.

But if she really wants to drive, that's grand - let her drive - and just not kill someone else on the road. If she doesn't have room to pass, let her wait until she has room.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cargo bike pulling a trailer with another cargo bike on top.

29512624_2129124654029091_7226193678948947349_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c2777f967d0a6bfb26d82e263f32dca7&oe=5B2CA5CE

If cars were hypothetically banned we'd very quickly adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

ED E wrote: »
    Cargo bike pulling a trailer with another cargo bike on top.

What kind of cargo bike is that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Effects wrote: »
    What kind of cargo bike is that one?
    The blue one is a Riese & Müller Load electric cargo bike. Starts at €5,099. I can't make out the one on the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Effects wrote: »
    Nah, that happens in Dublin all the time and is something I've got a big issue with.

I once saw a woman with a baby strapped to her front and a child in a carrier on the back cycle the wrong way up Francis St, Dublin 8.

Sounds like more cycling contra flows are needed. Not condoning what the lady did, but Dublin has tried to accommodate the private car at every juncture with a “finger in the dam” approach to traffic management - no lefts / rights, one ways and corcuituous routes.

Advertisement