Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

sean635 wrote: »
    Because a foetus has equivalent moral worth to any other human.

No, my wife's life has more worth than an 8 week fetus. Most people with partners would agree, I think.

So the 8th is wrong and has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Madscientist30

Undividual wrote: »
    kylith wrote: »
    Maybe there will be a population imbalance if we include all your strawmen. 

I never said this would happen immediately.  Nor that Ireland would enact a one child policy.  What I did say was that I don't think it will be an Irish problem, but that it could an issue if people from outside of Ireland decide to do this.  I am not arguing against repealing the 8th.  Anyone whose opinion would be swayed by potential homosexual activity has their own problems to deal with.

Why I keep having to refer to my own posts, I don't know.

If you don’t think it will be an Irish problem then why did you bring it up?
    Because Chinese and Indian people live here and may not share my views on sex selection.
    I cant see how you are ever going to be able to know the thought processes and motivations of other people (or even why you should). It seems to be that your concern is with abortion on Irish soil rather than abortion in general. Are you the poster who supports the right to travel as it would be inconvenient otherwise for pregnant women falling under suspicion or do I have you confused with somebody else?

There are consequences and "social outcomes" to banning abortion too you know. In other developing countries with no access to abortion, a teenage woman aged 15-19 dies of pregnancy or childbirth related complications every 20 minutes. It is even more horrific for younger girls, whose bodies are simply not developed enough to carry children, with awful consequences even where they survive (fistulas, broken pelvis). I think in Nigeria alone there are something like 20,000 fistula cases a year. Are those the kinds of social outcomes you are comfortable enough with?

I recently watched a Ben Shapiro video

There's your problem right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Apologies for the delay in replying. It only just occured to me now, without your use of the quote function, that this reply might have been directed to me.
    In relation to China/India, my point is that we may need to deal with these issues in the future.

I see absolutely no reason to think it all that likely to be honest. We simply do not have the same attitudes and economics around women that are prevalent in the societies you have mentioned.

However even if I applied the quantity of imagination required to engage in the thought experiment of us having to deal with something of that nature in the future I would still have a "Cross that bridge if we come to it" attitude to it. I see it as neither likely enough OR relevant enough to consider it a relevant argument against doing the right thing here and now in the present.

I am by no means against future proofing while making decisions, and considering future possibilities. But one can not account for EVERY possibility so I think it warranted to apply some coherent and credible threshold of likelihood and relevance to such a list.
    If a Chinese/Indian (or any) woman living in Ireland chooses to have an abortion based upon the child's gender, is that right / acceptable?

It depends what you mean by right and acceptable. The analogy I often use is a simple one but it highlights what I mean here:

I believe firmly in your right to drink coca cola. Now tomorrow you might decide to start drinking 4 or 5 litres a day with the goal of getting obese and sick (diabetes maybe?) enough to claim disability allowance or some such.

I would not think your motivations are moral and I would condemn them. But I would STILL believe in your right to freedom of drinking coca cola.

Similarly I believe women should have the choice of accessing abortion within certain time frames. And I believe most women will do so conscientiously and with pure motives. There will of course be some small number of people who access it for immoral or questionable reasons however. Reasons I might condemn as immoral and horrific. But so what?

We have to do what we believe is right, and not give in to a minority few who would abuse it. If we did that, we would change NOTHING in our society of any note, because there is always someone somewhere that will abuse a system. We see it in tax. We see it in social welfare. We see it in consumer rights. We see it in means tested benefits. Every "right" move we make gets abused by SOMEONE. We should still do what is right however.
    Also, is consciousness the measurement of human life?  There are certainly people alive who will never be conscious again.

Yes there are. Which is why we have deep and sometimes divisive conversations on issues like the right to die, euthanasia, and medical proxy for such people who are compromised in that way. And legal battles over when it is acceptable to deprive them of life support technology.

Again however I think that is not a useful comparison or relevant to this discussion because you are still comparing someone who HAS the faculty of sentience and consciousness, even if it is operating in a diminished or minimal or compromised capacity........... with an entity (the fetus) that has not got it, has never had it, and is some time off the cusp of getting it for the first time.

I simply see no way therefore to force a comparison there, no matter how hard one pushes it. They simply are not the same thing.

It's like another thread where I saw someone lambasting people who were anti abortion as being stupid religious people...as if the concept of being nonreligious and against abortion wasn't a possibility...

It's a possibility, of course, and we regularly have people posting here claiming to be non-religious and in favour of the 8th.

Which is odd, since of all the Christian churches in Ireland, only the Roman Catholic church was in favour of passing the 8th amendment in the first place. It is not only religiously inspired, it is sectarian, imposing Catholic dogma on all the non-Catholics in an area where we have a long history of differences (like the "Catholic ethos" maternity hospitals vs. the "Protestant ethos" ones).

So the first thing I ask these non-religious supporters of the 8th is were they raised Roman Catholic? Because shaking off that influence is not always easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

“Because Chinese and Indian people live here and may not share my views on sex selection.“

Well, you can’t definitively tell sex at 12 weeks, so anyone wanting a sex-selective abortion would still have to go to the UK like they currently Do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

seenitall wrote: »
    That's because it's not about anyone's actual lives, whether babies', "babies'", or women's ones.

It's about control. Compassion for anyone simply doesn't come into it.
    baylah17 wrote: »
    Again, you are missing the point.
    The right to regulate her body is a womans right, you have no right to demand she provides you with her reasoning behind her decisions, unless of course you believe women are second class citizens who require to be dominated and controlled by men.

The irony in these posts, honestly.

First of all, those who are against abortion are not just men, and so what's all this nonsense about men wanting to control women all about? For me comments like that are really masks slipping. Is the desire for the right to abort healthy fetuses really just about getting back at men? For some, sadly, it would seem it is.

Secondly, and more importantly, this whole nonsense about control itself is laughable and shows a total lack of self awareness on the part of those who are prochoice. Let's not forget, that the choice you all want to have, includes (and represents 95%+ of those who generally procure abortions in western countries - not that you'd think it reading these threads) the choice for healthy women (who are pregnant from consensual sex) to able to legally have the baby in their womb pulled limb from limb, have it's skull crushed, heartbeat stilled and it's bloody broken remains binned (or sold, depending on where you live). Now, tell me, who's "controlling" who there?

This isn't about the right for women to do what the want with "their" bodies. This is about the right for women to be able to do what they want with another body. That of their developing young. Here's a real woman. A woman excited by the baby moving (and not just autonomically) inside her. A woman not wanting to kill it in the name of women's rights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No, my wife's life has more worth than an 8 week fetus. Most people with partners would agree, I think.

So the 8th is wrong and has to go.

Thank you Zubeneschamali

I beseech any partners of women to think about if you are in hospital with your partner who needs treatment which can't be administered because of an 8 week foetus. Who do you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,972 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm undecided on the issue.

I recently watched a Ben Shapiro

I find it hard to believe you are undecided if you are bringing an extremist like Ben Shapiro into the discussion.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This isn't about the right for women to do what the want with "their" bodies. This is about the right for women to be able to do what they want with another body. That of their developing young. Here's a real woman. A woman excited by the baby moving (and not just autonomically) inside her. A woman not wanting to kill it in the name of women's rights

Is this video supposed to appeal to my uterus? I don’t get the point of it. And also, don’t be daft, women don’t want to “kill babies in the name of women’s rights” (to paraphrase).

Of course many women are delighted with their pregnancy. The fact also remains that there is a not insignificant cohort of women who do not WANT to be pregnant, which may include financial, medical, work or personal reasons. And I believe that these women have a right to choose. I don’t believe in their rights being suppressed because they happen to be pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

First of all, those who are against abortion are not just men, and so what's all this nonsense about men wanting to control women all about? For me comments like that are really masks slipping. Is the desire for the right to abort healthy fetuses really just about getting back at men? For some, sadly, it would seem it is.

Secondly, and more importantly, this whole nonsense about control itself is laughable and shows a total lack of self awareness on the part of those who are prochoice. Let's not forget, that the choice you all want to have, includes (and represents 95%+ of those who generally procure abortions in western countries - not that you'd think it reading these threads) the choice for healthy women (who are pregnant from consensual sex) to able to legally have the baby in their womb pulled limb from limb, have it's skull crushed, heartbeat stilled and it's bloody broken remains binned (or sold, depending on where you live). Now, tell me, who's "controlling" who there?

This isn't about the right for women to do what the want with "their" bodies. This is about the right for women to be able to do what they want with another body. That of their developing young. Here's a real woman. A woman excited by the baby moving (and not just autonomically) inside her. A woman not wanting to kill it in the name of women's

Firstly: a foetus is not another body. Though genetically distinct it is surrounded by, encompassed by, fed by, and completely reliant on the woman’s body for 24 weeks. As she should have the final decision about what happens her body, if she decides to withdraw support of the foetus that should be her right. She should not be compelled to have her body support it just as she is not compelled to donate organs or tissue.

Secondly: a 12 week foetus does not have a brain. It cannot think or feel. It simply does not have the neural connections to. It does not feel pain. It is not in the slightest bit discomforted by a termination. Somewhere in the region of 40% of pregnancies spontaneously abort by 12 weeks.

Thirdly: what you describe in detail is a surgical abortion. Those do not occur before 12 weeks and as such your appeal to emotion is not relevant to repealing the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Madscientist30

seenitall wrote: »
    That's because it's not about anyone's actual lives, whether babies', "babies'", or women's ones.

It's about control. Compassion for anyone simply doesn't come into it.
    baylah17 wrote: »
    Again, you are missing the point.
    The right to regulate her body is a womans right, you have no right to demand she provides you with her reasoning behind her decisions, unless of course you believe women are second class citizens who require to be dominated and controlled by men.

This isn't about the right for women to do what the want with "their" bodies. This is about the right for women to be able to do what they want with another body. That of their developing young. Here's a real woman. A woman excited by the baby moving (and not just autonomically) inside her. A woman not wanting to kill it in the name of women's rights.

Wow. So women who have or favour abortions are not "real women". Nice. And its supposed to be the pro-choice side doing all the dehumanising then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    To the people in favour of keeping thh eighth amendment.

Your partner/sister/best friend/daughter/granddaughter are expecting. Week 18, the anomaly scan reveals a number of issues and an amnio a few days later reveals a fatal abnormality.

They do their research and consult with a number of doctors and are told that the pregnancy is very unlikely to go full term. If it does, the baby that is born is going to die with in one or two days, maybe a week, and after a bit of research, it's clear that they will be incredibly distressing days - heart attacks, strokes, apnea, constant agonizing pain and discomfort before eventually turning blue and dying. In addition, the mother's life is at risk for a serious complication if the pregnancy continues into the third trimester.

What's the plan?

It’s odd. The post is getting thanked so it’s cleaely visible, and yet not one person who wants to keep the eighth has answered it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

What would we do without Pete here to tell us what a Real Woman is?

:rolleyes:

Here's the thing; you always seem to think you know better than the women actually affected when it comes to what 'really' qualifies as sexual assault, as rape and in this thread, a valid reason to have an abortion.

You don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,972 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ismisejack wrote: »
    You were waiting to say that. Well there is nothing progressive about abortion, it is killing, simple as that. Allowing the Irish government power regards abortion laws on the event the eighth is repealed is frightening!! That means no referendum would be needed to allow for abortion on demand. There’s nothing progressive or proud about that

Any chance you could answer my question?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Absolutely- there's no comparison.

A person is not a body that has homo sapiens DNA. An amputated arm or a culture dish of HeLa cells has human DNA, but they are not people. A climatically brain dead patient is not a person.

A person is not a thing with the mere potential to be a human. An acorn is not an oak tree. A dust cloud is not a star.

A person is not a person merely because it is a unique instance of the combination of human genes. Snowflakes are unique. Human sperm cells are unique. Hell, human T-cells and B-cells are unique. We don't confer special status on any of these entirely unique things.

Even the combination of these features is just context and container. The vessel for the person.

A person is a collection of experiences, memories, feelings, ideas, and countless complex connections to other humans. The contents of the vessel, accumulated from living life, not the vessel itself.

No vessel is worth more than a person.

the choice for healthy women (who are pregnant from consensual sex) to able to legally have the baby in their womb pulled limb from limb, have it's skull crushed, heartbeat stilled and it's bloody broken remains binned

Hardly. The recommendations of the citizens assembly........... and in fact over 92% of abortions by choice consistently in most countries that have abortion............. are abortions that happen before 12 weeks.

Your inaccurate, emotive, description of the process of abortion is simply not true in those cases. For the most part the woman in question pops a pill (actually often 2, but that's irrelevant here) and nothing more.

I guess since, from thread to thread, you consistently have failed to produce a single anti-abortion argument the most you can produce is deceptive descriptions of the process. But not only are those descriptions inaccurate.... AND not only are they not relevant at all in the case of abortions in and before week 12........... it is also irrelevant as making a process sound disgusting does not in anyway indict the process. If I sat here and described some of the processes we engage in in surgery situations..... they would be disgusting and off putting to hear the details of. So what?
    This isn't about the right for women to do what the want with "their" bodies. This is about the right for women to be able to do what they want with another body.

The possessive word "their" which you used is important in this case. There is a their there. We are talking about a PERSON. It is "their" body in the sense of a person having a body over which they want to exercise this autonomy. The "another" body not so much. We are talking about a fetus here devoid of not only person-hood but many of the pre-requisites of it too.

So you are simply wrong here. It is EVERY BIT about the "right for women to do what they want with their bodies" in the same way as taking an antibiotic is. In both cases it is the choice of a sentient agent to use medical technology to remove a non-sentient foreign body from their system.

Saying therefore something like "the right for women to be able to do what they want with another body" is no more relevant to abortion that it would be to the removal of a tape worm.
    That of their developing young. Here's a real woman. A woman excited by the baby moving (and not just autonomically) inside her. A woman not wanting to kill it in the name of women's rights.

Great! Wonderful stuff! That is exactly what we want! A society where such a woman can CHOOSE to get excited by, and continue with, a pregnancy.

What the hell relevance you think HER choice and excitement has to abortion........ and to women who A) are not excited by it and B) do not want to continue with it.......... is entirely opaque to me however. And, I suspect, to you too as you try (and fail) once again to appeal to emotions that are simply not relevant because you have no actual anti abortion arguments to present.

Also what do you mean "Here is a real woman". As opposed to what exactly? Are the women have abortions not "real women"? Are the pro-choice women on this thread, regardless of whether they themselves have sought abortion or not in their lives, not "real women"? What ARE you trying to say there? What is a "real woman" to you exactly? One who agrees with you, maybe?

Ismisejack wrote: »
    You were waiting to say that. Well there is nothing progressive about abortion, it is killing, simple as that.

Pouring bleach down your toilet is "killing". You want to say that it is "murder", surely?

It's not, but you need to be consistent.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    And I believe that these women have a right to choose.

And of course today they mostly DO have a right to choose. We even put it in the Constitution by referendum.

But because we are a bunch of hypocrites, the right to choose is disguised as a right to "travel and information". Information about abortion which without the 14th amendment was illegal. A right to travel to England specifically for an abortion in the 13th amendment, and yes, it is specifically for abortion or it would not be an exception under 40.3.3

But there are women who cannot travel - they are in prison, or Direct Provision, or already in hospital, or in a relationship which won't allow it, or just too broke to find a thousand euros...

They are the women we usually only know as letters: X, Y and so on.

And of course today they mostly DO have a right to choose. We even put it in the Constitution by referendum.

But because we are a bunch of hypocrites, the right to choose is disguised as a right to "travel and information". Information about abortion which without the 14th amendment was illegal. A right to travel to England specifically for an abortion in the 13th amendment, and yes, it is specifically for abortion or it would not be an exception under 40.3.3

But there are women who cannot travel - they are in prison, or Direct Provision, or already in hospital, or in a relationship which won't allow it, or just too broke to find a thousand euros...

They are the women we usually only know as letters: X, Y and so on.

The homeless, the poor, the vulnerable- for whom pregnancy and childbirth are riskier and serve as one more crushing weight keeping them on the lowest rung of the ladder, forever.

....... wrote: »

"Love both", right? What a joke.

The homeless, the poor, the vulnerable- for whom pregnancy and childbirth are riskier and serve as one more crushing weight keeping them on the lowest rung of the ladder, forever.

Haha you must have missed the posts by the user who said that abortion KEEPS Them on the lowest rung of the ladder forever. Because not having to have babies they do not want, does not force them to better themselves and take themselves off that rung. And in fact the user also thought this was improved by removing social welfare, including child allowances and single parent allowances, from them too.

Essentially the Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu approach to social betterment. Keep them suffering, withholding alleviation of suffering, and the suffering will lead them to elevate themselves.

So yea, the user in question basically telling us that abortion is actually a means to keep the poor poor, the the lower classes lower, because only by having babies they do not want, and doing so without social welfare and financial aid, will they ever be motivated to do more, and be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,242 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Haha you must have missed the posts by the user who said that abortion KEEPS Them on the lowest rung of the ladder forever. Because not having to have babies they do not want, does not force them to better themselves and take themselves off that rung.

Essentially the Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu approach to social betterment. Keep them suffering, withholding alleviation of suffering, and the suffering will lead them to elevate themselves.

So yea, the user in question basically telling us that abortion is actually a means to keep the poor poor, the the lower classes lower, because only by having babies will they ever be motivated to do more, and be more.

that took me a second

Haha you must have missed the posts by the user who said that abortion KEEPS Them on the lowest rung of the ladder forever. Because not having to have babies they do not want, does not force them to better themselves and take themselves off that rung. And in fact the user also thought this was improved by removing social welfare, including child allowances and single parent allowances, from them too.

So yea, the user in question basically telling us that abortion is actually a means to keep the poor poor, the the lower classes lower, because only by having babies they do not want, and doing so without social welfare and financial aid, will they ever be motivated to do more, and be more.

Hitchens had her number alright. Nasty.

Indeed. But it is the level of misogyny in that idea too that I have to say I have never seen the like of on boards.ie before. And there is occasionally some pretty egregious misogyny around so I do not say that lightly.

But the idea that such women will languish in the lower classes unless they are lucky enough to get pregnant and be forced to go through with it.... is a level of distrust and hatred of women that I can not believe I actually saw espoused. As if the only way such women would ever be motivated to self betterment is if we can force unwanted maternal scenarios on them.

So yea, apparently allowing abortion is a form of social oppression. Unbelievable stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 pocketpolly

In relation to China/India, my point is that we may need to deal with these issues in the future.  If a Chinese/Indian (or any) woman living in Ireland chooses to have an abortion based upon the child's gender, is that right / acceptable?

Also, is consciousness the measurement of human life?  There are certainly people alive who will never be conscious again.

If the 8th is repealed and the legislation suggested is passed then abortion can be had up to 12 weeks with no restrictions.

So in others words, it will be none of our business what the reason is.

What you consider right/acceptable is truly irrelevant. Same as people who say the woman who slept with lots of different men shouldn't have an abortion.

It's nothing but judgement on your part.

This is where I find it hard to believe the sincerity of pro-life posters. When they venture into the scenarios where it's okay to have abortion versus the scenarios where it's not okay, IN THEIR OPINION.

That's all it is, an opinion. It's not a fact, no matter how many time you repeat it or how many different ways you state it.

Your opinion does not over-rule anyone else's rights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement