Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careless cyclists.

Options
  • 18-03-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

At a time when there is a lot of roads signs going up to warn us about giving cyclists enough space when we are over taking them I wonder has anyone thought about putting a few signs to ask cyclists to be careful.

Twice in the last week I have seen cyclists nearly causing accidents at the R132 roundabout on way to Swords. They were heading to Swords but in the lane taking the turn for Donabate and proceeded to shoot across the lanes going to Swords causing a HGV and 2 cars to break on the busy roundabout.. It was in my opinion very irresponsible of the cyclists

I saw what looked like 2 "serious" well equipped cyclists ( well lit and good looking bikes) using the cycle tunnel this week. While it is great to see people out cycling and using bikes for short trips or staying fit and cycling clubs getting people out some cyclists seem to think the road is for their use and getting the good cyclists a bad name.

Should cyclists be pointed to the tunnel and away from this roundabout?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Drivers do this all the time too on roundabouts. Some people just don't know how to use them or try to cut ahead by purposely taking the wrong lane.

Some also think that cyclists don't have the same rights of way on them that cars do.

It's not a cyclists problem. It's a people problem
    Some people are either idiots, or ignorant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think people are the same in charge of a vehicle as they are in general, and unfortunately an increasing number of people are ill-mannered. They're bent on where they're going and make no allowances for anyone else. It's the Me, Me, Me age :(

I'm not talking about young people - in fact the 40+ age group are as bad, if not worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

I think there is a problem with cyclists going faster than they can safely stop. I know they aren't restricted by law, and you would think they would like to stay safe, but this doesn't seem to be a factor with a lot of cyclists.

Time for speed limits for cyclists perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Weepsie wrote: »
    Drivers do this all the time too on roundabouts. Some people just don't know how to use them or try to cut ahead by purposely taking the wrong lane.

Some also think that cyclists don't have the same rights of way on them that cars do.
    They do indeed but everyone has a responsibility to act with due care and respect
    Weepsie wrote: »
    It's not a cyclists problem. It's a people problem
    Some people are either idiots, or ignorant.
    In this instance it is a serious cyclists problem.
    I think people are the same in charge of a vehicle as they are in general, and unfortunately an increasing number of people are ill-mannered. They're bent on where they're going and make no allowances for anyone else. It's the Me, Me, Me age :(

I'm not talking about young people - in fact the 40+ age group are as bad, if not worse.
    Agree... me me I....
    I think there is a problem with cyclists going faster than they can safely stop. I know they aren't restricted by law, and you would think they would like to stay safe, but this doesn't seem to be a factor with a lot of cyclists.

Interesting point. Are cyclists subject to the speed limits along the quays in Dublin?

Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt or injured off the bike or in a car as a result of carelessness but I think at this roundabout we will have a serious accident if people dont kop on. (cyclists and drivers alike)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

LeoB wrote: »

Interesting point. Are cyclists subject to the speed limits along the quays in Dublin?

AFAIK no, mainly due to the fact that bikes aren't fitted with speedometers as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Interesting point. Are cyclists subject to the speed limits along the quays in Dublin?(cyclists and drivers alike)

Most cyclists don't break the speed limit there regardless. 92% of all vehicular traffic does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Effects wrote: »
    Most cyclists don't break the speed limit there regardless. 92% of all vehicular traffic does.
    Was just an interesting point. Some of the serious cyclists fairly belt along.

Important to point out this is not an anti-cyclist post just a concern for health and well being of all roads users.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Seriously??? Get a grip ffs.

LeoB wrote:
    Should cyclists be pointed to the tunnel and away from this roundabout?

Personally I always use the tunnels, far safer option.

rushfan wrote: »
    Seriously??? Get a grip ffs.
    Nice to see reasoned argument and debate isn't dead. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nice to see reasoned argument and debate isn't dead.

Equally nice to see sense & rationality too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Important to point out this is not an anti-cyclist post just a concern for health and well being of all roads users.

There is a charge of reckless or dangerous cycling I think.

Considering enforcement is abysmal for all road users another law they won't use isn't worth squat.

Equally nice to see sense & rationality too.
    OK why should cyclists not be subject to speed restrictions? It was all fine when cyclists meant steel, sit-up-and-beg machines, but now cycling speeds are much, much higher.

We're told that speed kills. Does that not apply to cyclists? Do safe stopping distances not apply either?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Not on the quays as there is a lot of cyclist traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

OK why should cyclists not be subject to speed restrictions? It was all fine when cyclists meant steel, sit-up-and-beg machines, but now cycling speeds are much, much higher.

We're told that speed kills. Does that not apply to cyclists? Do safe stopping distances not apply either?

How about because there is no speedometer on a bike?

Personally, I don't believe that cyclists generally cycle too fast, where is your evidence?? Who exactly would enforce these speed restrictions? Ad the poster above says, there is NO enforcement in this country. And finally, what in the name of God is a "sit up & beg machine "?

OttoPilot wrote: »
    So, no cyclist knows their speed? We all carry around mobile phones capable of GPS speed readings.

I'm sure there are posts in the cycling forum of cyclists saying how fast they were going. How do they know?

It's all moot though, as there are no laws currently in place. But the speed some cyclists travel at has to be of some concern, especially with their small road contact.

(I see the call to arms has gone out. :D)

And finally, what in the name of God is a "sit up & beg machine "?
    Ah bless your innocence. Let Mr. Google help you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

As a driver and not a cyclist 90% of the dangerous and law breaking bullsh1t I see on the roads every day is caused by dangerous, inconsiderate drivers. I watch cars break the speed limit and red lights at almost all times.

Cyclists don't cause deaths. Drivers do.

Drivers need to provide space for cyclists. Some of them are crappy and inconsiderate but your life will rarely if ever be put in danger because of a cyclist, compared to how often you are at risk because of your own and your neighbour's driving.

Ok I'll bite...

A car travelling @30kph has a stopping distance of about 12 meters
    A bike travelling @30kph has a stopping distance of about 6 meters

I'd consider that a fairly safe stopping distance tbh

• Advertisement

Whoopdeedee. Innocence my Aras!! You still haven't answered my question regarding evidence of cyclists speeding. I'm sure you've collated a substantial amount of evidence. So, share it..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

OttoPilot wrote: »
    AFAIK, bikes can be fitted with speedometers - as someone else pointed out, there's also GPS - perhaps a monitoring device specifically designed for bikes could be manufactured - mightn't be accurate over very short distances, but should be accurate enough to generate an average speed for any particular stretch of road or street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

LeoB wrote:
    Twice in the last week I have seen cyclists nearly causing accidents at the R132 roundabout on way to Swords. They were heading to Swords but in the lane taking the turn for Donabate and proceeded to shoot across the lanes going to Swords causing a HGV and 2 cars to break on the busy roundabout.. It was in my opinion very irresponsible of the cyclists

Are there pedestrian crossings adjacent to that roundabout? If I (when cycling) wish to take the second or third exit off a busy roundabout I will always dismount and use them, if they are present.

P_1 wrote: »
    Ok I'll bite...

A car travelling @30kph has a stopping distance of about 12 meters
    A bike travelling @30kph has a stopping distance of about 6 meters

I'd consider that a fairly safe stopping distance tbh
    I must also be said that a cyclist travelling at any speed of 30kph or higher tend to be far less observant than other road users. I've cycled (in the past) and now drive and walk a lot - between those three modes, cycling is the most dangerous in terms of awareness regarding one's surroundings.

Whoopdeedee. Innocence my Aras!! You still haven't answered my question regarding evidence of cyclists speeding. I'm sure you've collated a substantial amount of evidence. So, share it..........
    It's the same body of evidence that you have presented that they don't.

My own perception of cyclists moving faster than they could possibly stop in an emergency, oh, and posts in the cycling forum of cyclists going arse over handlebars at crossings. I do see motorists going faster than they should too, but that's not the subject if the thread.

I'm going to leave it there as I've no interest in getting involved in cyclist hysteria and smartarsery.

Have a safe journey everyone. ;)

Middle Man wrote: »
    I must also be said that a cyclist travelling at any speed of 30kph or higher tend to be far less observant than other road users. I've cycled (in the past) and now drive and walk a lot - between those three modes, cycling is the most dangerous in terms of awareness regarding one's surroundings.

I guess that makes sense seeing as you wouldn't have mirrors and whatnot on a bike. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make though. On the bike you can see in front of you and you can hear whats coming from behind.

It's the same body of evidence that you have presented that they don't.

My own perception of cyclists moving faster than they could possibly stop in an emergency, oh, and posts in the cycling forum of cyclists going arse over handlebars at crossings. I do see motorists going faster than they should too, but that's not the subject if the thread.

I'm going to leave it there as I've no interest in getting involved in cyclist hysteria and smartarsery.

Have a safe journey everyone. ;)
    I'll do them same - cyclists don't want to listen to anyone else and think (along with the more aggressive drivers) that they're above the law - hopefully by the 2020's, common sense will have prevailed and that people will start being reasonable to each other again - unfortunately, Ireland is not as friendly as it used to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What's your objective by implementing speed limits for cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

:confused:

jwISzK7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Middle Man wrote: »
    I must also be said that a cyclist travelling at any speed of 30kph or higher tend to be far less observant

What a load of codswallop. How do some people come up with such ignorant "facts" like this?

Advertisement