Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You think it's undervalued by 50/100% with brexit around the corner and blockchain about to change banking forever.
    I'm not seeing it, too much risk here to go long.
    Have seen a positive trend since you jumped in, I'd still be inclined to cash out around earnings time in Feb if the run up is good.

Probably a hold for op, wouldn't sell just yet, think that 10% loss could be cleared in the next 10 weeks..

Has this thread just descended in to shilling for small cap cryptocurrencies?

No just trying to help another brother in the red on this stock. I think buying coins is risky, not many traditional ways to buy crypto play stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

You think it's undervalued by 50/100% with brexit around the corner and blockchain about to change banking forever.
    Have seen a positive trend since you jumped in, I'd still be inclined to cash out around earnings time in Feb if the run up is good.

Probably a hold for op, wouldn't sell just yet, think that 10% loss could be cleared in the next 10 weeks..

lol this reminds me of some financial 'professional advisor' on RTE back in the celtic tiger days on an interview with Bryan Dobson :

'I think we are going to look back in a few years time at the state of the Irish banks and the Irish stockmarket generally and say how did we not fill our boots with those shares. '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Yes I do think its undervalued, not by 100% but undervalued significantly as it got hammered on the brexit news and has not recovered yet.

Blockchain? whats that? Bitcoin - ha ha costs $12 at the moment to do a transaction. Currently crypto-currencies use more Electricity than Japan, and will not be free. Cryptos changing banking is a long way off yet, many regulations to come into place so by the time these are in place what will it be? Ah yes just another banking system lol
    Yes Bitcoin will change banking. But no it will not destroy it, they will embrace it and make even more profits from it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Cashed out anyways. Lost about 500 quid. Which is a shame cos I've had the shares for a good few years.

I'm going to buy OMG coins with it and hope to recoup the loss and more!

• Advertisement

Thought you were well up on cryptos, blockchain is the glue that binds.
    Anyway Hive up 15% today and it's still a few hours to go, keep filling your boots with BOI cement : )

Thought you were well up on cryptos, blockchain is the glue that binds.
    Anyway Hive up 15% today and it's still a few hours to go, keep filling your boots with BOI cement : )
    I am well up in cryptos but trying to spread it about at the moment. Well done with hive, I didn't want to buy into anymore cryptos as I'm in a sh1te load of them already and will have a huge tax bill coming out of them!

BOI cement - haha thats a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I have a nice wedge of Ethereum myself but I dont agree with recommending them in investment threads, its getting a bit ridiculous now, crypto is still gambling.

Just curious about HIVE while we're on the subject though:
    HIVE Blockchain Technologies Ltd, formerly Leeta Gold Corp, is a Canada-based company within blockchain sector. It partners with Genesis Mining Ltd, a cryptocurrency mining hashrate provider, in order to operate blockchain infrastructure, namely cryptocurrency mining facility in Iceland. The facility produces mined cryptocurrency Ethereum around the clock and is monitored with Genesis Hive, Genesis' proprietary software tool for large-scale mining, to automatically optimize chip temperatures and power consumption needed for coin production. Also, the Company partners with Fiore Group, a Canadian merchant banking firm, in order to accelerate development of the blockchain sector through traditional capital markets.
    So they mine Ethereum and sell it? But according to a quick look on Google they're only up 33% since this day 3 months ago, whereas Ethereum is up about 275% in that time, pretty big discrepancy there? If the arse falls out of Ethereum and the rest of the crypto market then HIVE is going to collapse just as badly, seems like you're taking on most of the risk for a fraction of the return...

Thargor wrote: »
    So they mine Ethereum and sell it? But according to a quick look on Google they're only up 33% since this day 3 months ago, whereas Ethereum is up about 275% in that time, pretty big discrepancy there? If the arse falls out of Ethereum and the rest of the crypto market then HIVE is going to collapse just as badly, seems like you're taking on most of the risk for a fraction of the return...

They mine it along with other currencies, I think they've been selling 20% a day and hoarding the rest. It's kind of missing the point of Hive a little though to view as just another miner, Hive was created to bring Genesis to the capital markets.

I know it's only up up 33% in the last few months but it's up over 3000% for the year.
    The share price hasn't popped again due to share dilution from financing deals to build more mines with Genesis and shares coming out of lock up, some more to come in January.

I think the current share price will be a distant memory come March. The MD when interviewed wasn't concerned about crypto prices falling as it blows smaller miners out of the water and lets Hive increase market share.

This is a play on Genesis and it's Virgin coins.

This is worth a watch but take into consideration the value of Eth when the video was created, two more mines coming onstream since then and the estimates he was giving.

This will have a market cap bigger than BOI in 12mts. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Reminder - This is BoI thread, please open separate HIVE thread

• Advertisement

Bank of Ireland starting a bit of a Bull run now. Hopefully the tracker scandal is the last of the bumps its being hitting. Still well off where it should be,but on the right track now. Due a credit rating upgrade now too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've finally up on my BOI shares. Up to 7.70 now. Up as high as 7.85 the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

BOI continues to climb, hopefully it continues. Hive Blockchain on the other hand down quite a bit.

I expect it to continue to rise for the next 18 months. My new target is €16

LG1234 wrote: »
    BOI continues to climb, hopefully it continues. Hive Blockchain on the other hand down quite a bit.

Let see how they both look after Hive financials end of Feb and all the share dilution has passed. There's a reason for the dip today and more dips to come over next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    I expect it to continue to rise for the next 18 months. My new target is €16

can I ask how you work out that valuation target?

Just to be clear...I'm not having a go at you thinking its ridiculous. I would like to understand how you are coming up with that figure.

I'm not sure I agree with it....personally I think its extremely bullish. My gut would be a price of 10-12 EUR max (assuming Divs start again).

This should be good...

This should be good...

LoL missed that comment
    daheff wrote: »
    can I ask how you work out that valuation target?

Just to be clear...I'm not having a go at you thinking its ridiculous. I would like to understand how you are coming up with that figure.

I'm not sure I agree with it....personally I think its extremely bullish. My gut would be a price of 10-12 EUR max (assuming Divs start again).

Lets not start an argument about the value of this Bank, as for every valuation theres a counter valuation that is in every way as correct as the first.
    The following events will trigger this bank valuation to move higher and then €16 is not a far stretch of the imagination
    • Bank credit ratings - we are long overdue, the Irish banks seem to lag every other Bank in this respect. Once this happens a lot more pension and Fund money wil pour into this stock
    • Bank of Ireland along with AIB has a next to monoploy position so when the dividents start they will continuously grow as they fleece the public
    • Confidenace in this bank has really grown since Francesca McDonagh took over. Talking to other investors Bank of Ireland no longer looks like a cowboy bank but more of a Bluechip stock
    • It offers less risk more reward to the investor
    • Bank of Ireland has done little or no asset write backs to the books which is mad when you consider the massive increase in property valuations here
    • Exposure to the UK market, BOI is in a unique position here to capitalize on Brexit in its current form

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    LoL missed that comment

Lets not start an argument about the value of this Bank, as for every valuation theres a counter valuation that is in every way as correct as the first.
    The following events will trigger this bank valuation to move higher and then €16 is not a far stretch of the imagination
    • Bank credit ratings - we are long overdue, the Irish banks seem to lag every other Bank in this respect. Once this happens a lot more pension and Fund money wil pour into this stock
      The bank has received numerous upgrades over the last few years and they made no difference to the share price.

• Bank of Ireland along with AIB has a next to monoploy position so when the dividents start they will continuously grow as they fleece the public

Would you be surprised to know BoI only has a 26% share of the Irish mortgage market and that's after a period of no competition. When rates start to rise so will new entrants to the market. Restarting dividends will be a big catalyst though. there are many funds locked out of BoI because they can only buy stocks that pay a dividend.
    • Confidenace in this bank has really grown since Francesca McDonagh took over. Talking to other investors Bank of Ireland no longer looks like a cowboy bank but more of a Bluechip stock

Miles to go to shake off the amount of the damage done by the tracker mess and so much more. We will judge their repentance over time.

• It offers less risk more reward to the investor
      Than who or what?
    • Bank of Ireland has done little or no asset write backs to the books which is mad when you consider the massive increase in property valuations here
      Very valid point. The last time they did a write back they assumed the HPI to be at 48% off peak. I think from memory every 1% was worth 40million. is the HPI 20% off peak now?
    • Exposure to the UK market, BOI is in a unique position here to capitalize on Brexit in its current form
      This has yet to be proven. The fall in STG alone has hit BoI hard because 40% of their base is in the UK.

You left out a couple of big points.
    the bank is investing a billion in new tech to modernise and open up new opportunities. It will take a year or so to finish the job but its definitely going to add value and reduce costs.

The big reason to my mind will be the end of QE, the zero interest rate environment and a re-rating off bonds. We are about to enter a time of inflation which will force up interest rates giving banks a chance to make money again. Central banks are beginning to realise that crippling banks is not the way to entice them to lend money into the economy.

I think your €16 is a bit ambitious but this is a good investment for the next 5 years to my mind. After that its hard to be sure. There is going to be huge disruption from FinTec which will wipe out some banks. Hopefully not this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

so results out today. Dividends back (11.5c per share).

but down in the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

daheff wrote: »
    so results out today. Dividends back (11.5c per share).

but down in the market.

How are they paying that when it only costs 24c a share to buy stock?

boardzz wrote: »
    How are they paying that when it only costs 24c a share to buy stock?

Welcome to 2018 https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0710/889021-bank-of-ireland-shares/

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Results slightly better than previous year, the issue of a dividend slightly less than AIBs proposed dividend of 13.5c and the tracker scandal havent had a major impact on the share price. The new CEO has only been in the job 6 months so next years results will give a better idea of her impact. Reduction of Cost income ratio one of her big goals but will this impact on the growth of the business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Is tax on dividend deducted by broker ?. Or how is tax paid ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Irish Company Dividends deducted at source

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Anyone know when the dividend actually gets paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Anyone know when the dividend actually gets paid?

A dividend of 11.5 cents per share will be paid on 24 May
    2018. Ex Dividend 20 April 2018,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Is it the IT problems thats dragging the SP lower the last few days?

€7.25 now. I'm tempted to buy some as this is surely a temporary blip.....I'm just not a big fan of the Irish banks right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Is it the IT problems thats dragging the SP lower the last few days?

€7.25 now. I'm tempted to buy some as this is surely a temporary blip.....I'm just not a big fan of the Irish banks right now

Sold a few weeks ago, got back in just now at 7.26, might go lower but I hope that longer term it will be OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gatoh

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    .. I hope that longer term it will be OK..

BOI Share = Everlasting Recovery

Advertisement