Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

https://youtu.be/VCNW3HRxlIs
    Road between garristown and ashbourne
    One lane most of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

aidanodr wrote: »
    Most of our schools are closed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nice heat in the sun now. Went for a spin,drifts over ditches still,some roads starting to flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

..and the further outlook for next winter
    BLANK

Whats that ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Parts of clondalkin is a mess. Half-arsed road clearance means the majority of our main road is still under 2ft of snow as of 1hr ago. A number of buses are curtailed and I dont see an immediate thaw tomorrow morning either. There's damaged kerbs on the fonthill road I noticed too. Damaged speedbumps in Bawnogue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

wakka12 wrote: »
    Whats that ?

Sunspot activity. A lack of sunspot activity can be directly corellated to weather outcomes on earth. Less activity=colder weather

Freezing cold, overcast, raining, foggy, grey slush on the ground

Please come back snow :(

Sunspot activity. A lack of sunspot activity can be directly corellated to weather outcomes on earth. Less activity=colder weather

I think Ive heard about this before..some mad lad james masden or something was always banging on about that and everyone thought we were going to always have cold winters due to sunspot activity after the two cold ones 2009 and 2010..but then it was just pretty normal winters

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Back in the land of the living:D
    No ESB for 2 full days, no running water. Only for our local farmer clearing our road we would be still Snowed in. Lost the gutter of the Back of our house, pulled my hamstring out playing in the snow (up above knee high) but you know what, it was all EPIC, I actually loved it all.
    Thanks to this thread I was stocked up well with food and fuel and prepared for the BIG SNOW of 2018, Thank you all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think Ive heard about this before..some mad lad james masden or something was always banging on about that and everyone thought we were going to always have cold winters due to sunspot activity after the two cold ones 2009 and 2010..but then it was just pretty normal winters

I've been talking about solar activity multiple times here wakka12 :p.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I've been talking about solar activity multiple times here wakka12 :p.

Yes sorry I know :)
    I just meant I recall that guy talking about years and years ago and nothing really came of it,even the media caught on and mentioned it as reason why we'd have loads more cold winters coming, but not much explanation as to why it would directly cause them, so wondering if it is actually a very important factor or not for cold winters

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Management company cleared the road and behind cars so we could get out, but it was a tight squeeze and we cleared a bit more from around our car and ferried it away to the grass where it wouldn't get in the way. The neighbour pulled his car out there and just kicked all the snow on his side over behind our car so he could get out :mad:

Yes sorry I know :)
    I just meant I recall that guy talking about years and years ago and nothing really came of it, so wondering if it is actually a very important factor or not for cold winters

It is very important. The large majority of the coldest Winters occur just before, during or just after solar minimum here in our country like 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1986-87, 1985-86, 1984-85, 1976-77, 1977-78, 1978-79, 1962-63, 1963-64, 1964-65, 1954-55, 1955-56... it goes on and on.

Does not mean you can't get mild Winters though around this period, it's just a far less likely occurrence.

Just like you don't need to be at this part of the solar cycle to get cold Winters - 1990/91, 2000/01 and 2012/13 for example were around solar maximum periods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 actaphobia

One annoying feature of this clear-up is people who block the entire footpath with pile ups of snow when clearing their drive.

Also, some businesses are clearly not doing enough to clear-up.

The missus showed me a cool picture from Facebook, ESB truck near Curracloe and the snow on either side of it higher than the truck itself.
    Hassle for motorists in Enniscorthy with a gang of travellers between about 13 to 18 years of age throwing snow and ice at cars, nearly several collisions already cos of it. A few unhappy people confronted them and got nothing only lip and abuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It is very important. The large majority of the coldest Winters occur just before, during or just after solar minimum here in our country like 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1986-87, 1985-86, 1984-85, 1976-77, 1977-78, 1978-79, 1962-63, 1963-64, 1964-65, 1954-55, 1955-56, 1946-47.... it goes on and on.
    The famous winter of 46/47 was closer to solar maximum it seems -

https://www.nature.com/articles/213379b0

The famous winter of 46/47 was closer to solar maximum it seems -

https://www.nature.com/articles/213379b0

Stupid mistake I made there. For some reason, I recall solar minimum happening in late 1945, but it was early 1944.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Rodin wrote: »
    If you read correctly you'd have seen the request to help clear snow came from the SCHOOL. Not from parents. With the threat of the school not being opened if the snow wasn't cleared. It is not unreasonable to ask why the staff of the school are not clearing that snow rather than children's parents.

''We got a text from my daughter's school last night asking for volunteers to help clear snow around the paths and entrances to the school, otherwise it'll have to remain closed on Monday.
    Seeing that it's been closed since Tuesday evening, I have a feeling there will be no shortage of volunteers with their shovels later. ''

As regards the west/northwest the government got it completely wrong.
    No need to shut down the northwest as well as the south east. Hospital patients cancelled. Shops shut. Schools shut. Transport stopped.
    All completely unnecessary in the north west.

Did you get the rise you expected by posting totally whacko comments ?

There is life after the north west.

I suggest you either invent a device that predicts acceptable weather patterns or otherwise get a job with the Emergency Coordination Committee.

You can then play God and watch people die.

And your expectations that the teachers shovel the snow is daft. They should probably call down to your gaf and shovel it too so your kids can attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Well Lads and Lasses That little spell of Snow will keep you satisfied for another 10 or 15 years right? 😋

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It is very important. The large majority of the coldest Winters occur just before, during or just after solar minimum here in our country like 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1986-87, 1985-86, 1984-85, 1976-77, 1977-78, 1978-79, 1962-63, 1963-64, 1964-65, 1954-55, 1955-56... it goes on and on.
    Of course the Maunder Minimum of the 17th C was accompanied by unlikely events such as the Thames freezing over, but the physical mechanism that explains how sunspot numbers can affect climate is still unknown it seems.

• Advertisement

It looks like almost every secondary school closed tomorrow in Co Wexford..
    Marshalstown primary school open and that place was under 8 foot drifts only yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Well the Community finally came together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Well the Community finally came together.

There's always someone in a t-shirt!!

sdanseo wrote: »

He looks like he has a good sweat on.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Yeah there were only a few of us with proper snow shovels but everyone made do with what shovels and gear we had - great feeling to work together like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

STB. wrote: »
    Did you get the rise you expected by posting totally whacko comments ?

There is life after the north west.

I suggest you either invent a device that predicts acceptable weather patterns or otherwise get a job with the Emergency Coordination Committee.

You can then play God and watch people die.

And your expectations that the teachers shovel the snow is daft. They should probably call down to your gaf and shovel it too so your kids can attend.

Not a bit of snow where I am.
    Have you not been listening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

^^ Oops! A friend must have borrowed my phone and been reading some other saucy guff. I'll edit that later on desktop.
    😉😂😂

I think all climates are too compromised. If you keep a car for a few years, just buy a set of winters on steels or alloys and sure when you're using them, you can't be using the others. It's not a huge outlay. I picked up proper offroad Dunlop SJ6s for a CRVsecondhand and changed over in late October. A few awareness moments when temps lifted to 13c, but overall, have been quite happy all winter and practically unstoppable during this event. That was in 6-8 inches of fresh lying snow.
    Even save your tyre change and just get a pre 1997 Pajero Junior. Very poor road manners but absolutely unstoppable little full-on 4x4. Lots of hunters use them as a cheap hobby vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

sdanseo wrote: »

We cleared our estate estate earlier - I was in a t shirt than, so long as you're working don't feel the cold.

Shovelling tons of snow is hot work!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

We all cleared a massive route through our road and around the corner. Ensured everyone could get in and out. One of the neighbours than decided to park along where we all had cleared and now has been gone for 2 days. Neighbours not happy as we ball now still need today rive through the snow and slush. More concerning is how quickly the car can kick in it, and it would smash into that neighbours car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Snowing at Knock airport since 3:30.

Advertisement