Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2018 Babies club

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Take the nausea as a good sign Mirrorwall.Cabin fever is a killer, my pair are going nuts.I am going nuts too.Getting through each day when you feel utterly lousy and have small kids is a peculiar form of torture.It's very very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

awny wrote: »
    Clacla82,

Did you decide on what maternity hospital you are going to? I’ve a funny feeling that you’re in the same area as me. CUMH isn’t my local
    Hospital it’s an hour away but my local hospital which is based in my town has been in news recently for problems during delivery.

I don't know, I am Waterford, and I actually live about 1 minute's drive from the hospital... I actually work in news so I am just overexposed to all the worst case scenarios - had myself convinced I was infertile based on nothing and then it worked second month trying!

I am booked in with the consultant here and have my scan with him 4 weeks from today. A few of my friends had the same guy so was happy to just go for him. I think private depends on your own thoughts/experience...my mother went private with all of us and that was over 35 years ago, plus we have insurance. CUMH is genuinely a gorgeous maternity hospital and wish I had the option of going there!

The eating is off the charts @mirrorwall14... likewise, only time I feel ok is when I am eating. And have no interest in healthy food, except maybe fruit....but I would prefer crisps.

On a completely silly reason to be annoyed I had told myself I could order some next maternity after the scan as i have the voucher code. Voucher code is burning a hole in my wallet now and I don't want to order yet

Which voucher code?? The only Topshop maternity jeans that were the right size/length are sold out now online....rage. I am so bloated none of my normal jeans fit.

Also...what is with hideous maternity clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Girls how long was it before ye were in maternity jeans in your first pregnancy? This is my first and although I'm bloated at times I'm still rocking my River Islands :D I'm a bit naive in that I haven't even thought about buying maternity clothes yet..

the nausea has eased for me but I'm 9.5 weeks but still comes and goes. I'm finding that I'm not really having cravings but I'm eating all day long, literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

shesty wrote: »
    Take the nausea as a good sign Mirrorwall.Cabin fever is a killer, my pair are going nuts.I am going nuts too.Getting through each day when you feel utterly lousy and have small kids is a peculiar form of torture.It's very very hard.

Oh god love you. It must be torture indeed. Thankfully my wee boy is with my parents because I didn’t want to travel back to Dublin with him yesterday in the snow.

Getting serious cabin fever here. Boredom is making me feel more sick (yet somehow I’m still not bored enough to take the laundry out of the machine or clean the house up a bit....). I really want to go out for a walk but I dunno if that’s madness as I could fall (and I’m rhesus negative so would need to go to hospital for anti D).

I’m supposed to be working tomorrow but not sure whether they’ll be open. Hopefully Luas will be running again because I’d be nervous walking on the slippy pavements.

Mirrorwall, just order the maternity stuff. You’re 8 weeks now so chances of MC are low enough at this stage. It’ll make you feel better!!

Just read an article about the babies being born in this weather. Many midwives have been in Holles St and the Rotunda since Tuesday and haven’t gone home... I’ve said this a hundred timea before but midwives are actual ANGELS SENT FROM GOD to help womankind!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Girls how long was it before ye were in maternity jeans in your first pregnancy? This is my first and although I'm bloated at times I'm still rocking my River Islands :D I'm a bit naive in that I haven't even thought about buying maternity clothes yet..

the nausea has eased for me but I'm 9.5 weeks but still comes and goes. I'm finding that I'm not really having cravings but I'm eating all day long, literally.

For me it was about 20 weeks. I just did the hair bobble on the button trick. I’m quite skinny and was told how small my bump was ad nauseum through my pregnancy though (my bump always measured correctly for my dates).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

clacla82 wrote: »
    Which voucher code?? The only Topshop maternity jeans that were the right size/length are sold out now online....rage. I am so bloated none of my normal jeans fit.

Also...what is with hideous maternity clothes

If you go in and ask at the counter and give them an email address Next have voucher codes at the moment.

Last time I was in them by 2nd trimester and it looks like i'll be earlier this time. I found even with the hair tie trick normal pants were seriously aggravating my morning sickness and heartburn. The relief when I eventually switched was epic. I won't wait as long this time, in fact I threw on my old ones at the weekend already but they are well worn
    shesty wrote: »

I know, but then I convince myself its just because I can't take my usual tummy meds :rolleyes:. Housebound with kids is seriously tough going. It'd a lot easier if they're older and can be turfed out into it but he doesn't like the falling snow and its too deep for him to be comfortable right now

bee06 wrote: »
    For me it was about 20 weeks. I just did the hair bobble on the button trick. I’m quite skinny and was told how small my bump was ad nauseum through my pregnancy though (my bump always measured correctly for my dates).

The bobbin trick isn't going to work for me, most of my tops are short, so it's either buy the maternity jeans or a rake of long tops and jumpers. Thank god I work from home so can stay in leggings for the most part!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The bobbin trick isn't going to work for me, most of my tops are short, so it's either buy the maternity jeans or a rake of long tops and jumpers. Thank god I work from home so can stay in leggings for the most part!

I bought a lot of long vest tops in H&M and wore them through my pregnancy and still wearing them now for breastfeeding. They were only 5 Euro each.

Have you seen the shape of the belly bands on maternity jeans? You need to wear long tops with them anyway, as the band starts so low.

• Advertisement

Didn’t get to have my scan today so have to wait another week... will be 10+4 by then.. feels like a lifetime away. Was hoping to tell both sets of parents now that’s delayed... I’m so annoyed which is ridiculous !!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I'm still in my normal Jeans here and am almost 10 weeks, defo thought I'd be in Mat ones by now as they say the bump appears quicker second time round. Saying that though, all the junk food I have eaten while being snowed in will have me out if these jeans in now time!

I have been out walking in the snow each morning before everyone else gets out and compacts the snow and makes it slippy, even with getting out, being in the house with a one year old for this many days in a row has not been the most fun, feel a bit guilty saying that but it is not easy!!!

Still lucky that the only symptoms i have are tiredness and a bit of Bloating.

Another three weeks and I will be back in the hospital for my 12 week (will be 13 though) appointment, that's really the start of it all. Have to say I didn't mind all the appointments last time but I am really dreading it now... Just don't have the patience for all the waiting around and seeing different people for what seems like nothing. Ah well, it will be worth it in the end!

Have many people told work? This snow is making me very nervous about what kind of icy footpaths we will be facing on Monday and what expectation there will be for me to go to work (I haven't been in since Tuesday!) I wouldn't care too much in normal circumstances but falling while pregnant is a massive fear.

Didn’t get to have my scan today so have to wait another week... will be 10+4 by then.. feels like a lifetime away. Was hoping to tell both sets of parents now that’s delayed... I’m so annoyed which is ridiculous !!

I'm still frustrated that mine was cancelled Thursday so I feel you!

greenttc wrote: »
    Have many people told work? This snow is making me very nervous about what kind of icy footpaths we will be facing on Monday and what expectation there will be for me to go to work (I haven't been in since Tuesday!) I wouldn't care too much in normal circumstances but falling while pregnant is a massive fear.

I'm seriously concerned that I won't be able to get out of the estate. The drifts are three feet high on my road

Very similar here, huge hills of snow. I will have to drive to get my one year old to my parents if I have to go to work so it would be out through my estate and then in and out of theirs. Then a bit of walking to get into my office. Dreading it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's a struggle, 31 weeks here so not really in a fit state to get out with my pair!!!I can drive and that's mostly it!!!Counting down the days minute by minute here

Anyone sh1t-scared about labour already? It’s ironic because I was so not even remotely worried about it with my first baby, but now that I’ve been through it, I’m bloody terrified of facing it again! Ignorance was bliss. I think I may need to look into gentle birth or counselling or something because it’s making me anxious even at this early stage.

Anyone sh1t-scared about labour already? It’s ironic because I was so not even remotely worried about it with my first baby, but now that I’ve been through it, I’m bloody terrified of facing it again! Ignorance was bliss. I think I may need to look into gentle birth or counselling or something because it’s making me anxious even at this early stage.

To be honest I am less worried about it this time, I thought the whole experience was awful especially with an induction. But then I know that it was all for a certain amount of time and there was an end to it and I got through it. So, with that in mind I will get through it again and I'll have another amazing little person!

I did gentle birth before number one, I thought it was brilliant for explaining that will happen in great detail so I felt very informed and it was really amazing for my husband cause he really learned lots and knew how support me during and after but the rest of it just wasn't for me (I am sure it 100% works for others though! ) but the whole hypnobirthing side of it was something I couldn't get into and I think even if I was into that kinda stuff there was just no way it was going to get even half a thought when going through labour, not a chance!

So I would totally recommend it for first time parents because of the amount you learn but unless you are into the power of the mind etc and meditation I am not sure it's worth the money for people who have been through it before or who are very familiar with the process and knowing what's what.

Caitriona, you will get through this second birth, it won't be the same experience again and you will have more control this time as you know what to expect and what you would change from last time!

I'm using mind the bump and I got a free calm subscription and I'm already calmer than I was on the last pregnancy. I had a pretty rough, intense and very fast labour with my little boy so I was completely freaked last time around. My labour was 1hr 6 minutes last time so I never got control of it, the baby was in distress and I knew enough to know it was not going well. Very nervous of something similar but also nervous of having a really long labour-at least it was short last time!!

I'm not sure if its the meditation or the fact that I'm much more scared of losing the baby again but I'm definitely calmer than I was last April

• Advertisement

I was far more anxious before my second.I did use my knowledge to help my birth plan be a bit more what I wanted which was good.
    I definitely reached a point way on where I stopped worrying because she was so overdue, I just wanted her out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

New here! I'm due early October and, well, was kinda afraid that posting here would be tempting fate somewhat. Silly I know.
    Thats exactly how I feel clacla, the only time I'm not nauseous is if I'm eating or asleep. Nearly there awny and hopefully you get there, and you too clacla.

Glad it's not just me. It seems that if I don't eat within 15 seconds of getting peckish I get horribly nauseated. I'm desperately trying to think of something I can eat constantly without becoming the size of a house by the time I'm any further along.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Never been so happy to throw up as I was this morning! I've had no appetite but permanent hunger for the last week, am down a kilo and dying for this to pass. It's been a good motivator to ensure my toilet is spotlessly clean since I'm looking at it so closely. :p

I had been taking the Pregnacare vitamins until last week, but you need to take them on a full stomach. (Plus they're huge so I found them really difficult to swallow.) I bought some Clonfolic folic acid tablets, they're ok to take on an empty stomach and really tiny, only the size of the pill. At least I can keep taking them while I wait for my appetite to come back.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried Oxylent prenatal multivitamin supplement drink? Saw a leaflet for it in my local health food store the other day. It's got more vitamins etc than Clonfolic, might be easier to stomach than Pregnacare.

kylith wrote: »
    Glad it's not just me. It seems that if I don't eat within 15 seconds of getting peckish I get horribly nauseated. I'm desperately trying to think of something I can eat constantly without becoming the size of a house by the time I'm any further along.

I've eaten more crackers this week than I have in the last 10 years. Also yesterday I discovered that cornflakes are ok and hot chocolate. I don't want to be near any food that smells at all.

My poor husband is trying to be really considerate, asking what I want to eat (nothing) and he doesn't want to make any dinners that will make me feel sick. But I don't know they'll make me feel sick until they're already made. :rolleyes: He made me a pot of rice with sweetcorn the other night. I ate about 3 spoons and that was it. :o

Things I have eaten this week that didn't make me feel worse: plain crackers, cornflakes, toast, icecream, grapes, rice with sweetcorn, smoothie, yogurt, chips, crisps, soy milk hot chocolate, Easter egg chocolate :D

Things that have made me feel sick: the smell of everything else.

I don't love that all I want to eat is chocolate and crackers (how convenient that chocolate is still ok!) but it won't last forever and I guess I'll eat my veggies again when I'm able.

Never been so happy to throw up as I was this morning! I've had no appetite but permanent hunger for the last week, am down a kilo and dying for this to pass. It's been a good motivator to ensure my toilet is spotlessly clean since I'm looking at it so closely. :p

I had been taking the Pregnacare vitamins until last week, but you need to take them on a full stomach. (Plus they're huge so I found them really difficult to swallow.) I bought some Clonfolic folic acid tablets, they're ok to take on an empty stomach and really tiny, only the size of the pill. At least I can keep taking them while I wait for my appetite to come back.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried Oxylent prenatal multivitamin supplement drink? Saw a leaflet for it in my local health food store the other day. It's got more vitamins etc than Clonfolic, might be easier to stomach than Pregnacare.

I've eaten more crackers this week than I have in the last 10 years. Also yesterday I discovered that cornflakes are ok and hot chocolate. I don't want to be near any food that smells at all.

My poor husband is trying to be really considerate, asking what I want to eat (nothing) and he doesn't want to make any dinners that will make me feel sick. But I don't know they'll make me feel sick until they're already made. :rolleyes: He made me a pot of rice with sweetcorn the other night. I ate about 3 spoons and that was it. :o

Things I have eaten this week that didn't make me feel worse: plain crackers, cornflakes, toast, icecream, grapes, rice with sweetcorn, smoothie, yogurt, chips, crisps, soy milk hot chocolate, Easter egg chocolate :D

Things that have made me feel sick: the smell of everything else.

I don't love that all I want to eat is chocolate and crackers (how convenient that chocolate is still ok!) but it won't last forever and I guess I'll eat my veggies again when I'm able.

It was well-reported last year that prenatal vitamins are generally a waste of money, the only ones necessary/with proven efficacy are folic acid (obviously) and vitamin D. I am taking both of those plus zinc for my immune system which I had been taking pre-conception anyway.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/11/pregnant-women-waste-money-vitamin-supplements-study-says

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SuzieQCork

It was well-reported last year that prenatal vitamins are generally a waste of money, the only ones necessary/with proven efficacy are folic acid (obviously) and vitamin D. I am taking both of those plus zinc for my immune system which I had been taking pre-conception anyway.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/11/pregnant-women-waste-money-vitamin-supplements-study-says

Yeah I’m the same! Been taking folic acid since well before we started trying last summer, had to get a prescription coz my BMI is slightly higher than it should be. I bought the vitamin D in Aldi yesterday. It’s 2 a day one. I assume that should be sufficient!!

I don’t think I have any nausea, well my stomach is doing flips every now and then but I think it’s anexity coz it only seems to happen when I think about the house we are buying. We went sale agreed 2 days before I found out I was pregnant and I’m kinda nervous about everything lol! Hope we didn’t take on too much!

I'm taking iron with folic acid. The iron is not helping my digestive system, so I'll be giving that up.

kylith wrote: »
    I'm taking iron with folic acid. The iron is not helping my digestive system, so I'll be giving that up.

Be careful with the iron kylith. Apparently it’s not recommended before 13 weeks x

Be careful with the iron kylith. Apparently it’s not recommended before 13 weeks x

Thanks for letting me know. I did mention it to my GP and she didn't say anything about it, I was just planning on giving it up because I am totally blocked up.

No don't take iron unless you are told to by the doctor/midwife, it's not recommended.My iron count was low at week 28 on my second and I was told to take it from about week 30, and only every second day at that, coz it's tough on the digestion.

• Advertisement

I have actually added back in vitamin B6 the past few days as it is supposed to help with nausea, so might be worth a try if anyone suffering.

Had our second scan in EPU today and the little peanut is flying it! Going to really relax and start to enjoy this now. Due date still October 9...my birthday is 23rd so baby could well hang on for then!

Advertisement