Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2018 Babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I got the flu vaccine back in November which I do every year as I have asthma, really glad I got it because everyone seems to be sick!

Thanks mirrorwall I've a blood test with GP in 2 weeks to check my thyroid so I'll ask them to check for chicken pox immunity then. I had it when I was small as did all 4 of my siblings, would that make me immune? I'd just heard that it's a danger when pregnant but don't know why etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

My GP recommended I get the flu vaccine so I did.

Nausea has kicked in over here, but thankfully it’s not as bad as last time (yet - it’s started a bit earlier this time so I’m hoping that doesn’t mean it’ll get worse). My 12 month old has a tummy bug so yesterday was delightful. Between cleaning puke off him and me, and changing the most awful nappies, and driving two hours up the road with him (he threw up all over himself and it got into every crevice of the car seat - that was a joy to clean), it was a tough day. One of the nappies smelt so horrific that I had to run to the toilet and retch as I was so close to vomiting myself!

Otherwise all seems ok though. Have booked a private scan for when I’ll be around 8 weeks (Evie in the Beacon are doing them for free between 7 and 12 weeks!) so am looking forward to that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Bread soda is great for getting rid of the smell of that in a car or car seat....I've been that soldier.It's beyond yuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jodee08

Hi all!
    I’m excitedly joining having got my BFP on Monday. I’m due October 26th so not even 5 week yet. It’s mad to know so early! ☺️
    I’m already a Mammy of a 4 year old with special needs and 2 year old. It’s gonna be a busy house in October!
    Big congrats to everyone!

welcome to the group! So exciting for your kids to have a wee brother or sister!
    12 in the club so far!

October due dates are:
    Awny - 2nd
    Clacla82 - 9th
    Lunamoon - 10th
    Mirrorwall14 - 13th
    Panda18 - 14th
    Catrionanic - 18th
    FA12345 - 21st
    Shortie_chik - 21st
    Cash_Q - 21st
    Jodee08 - 26th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Welcome Jodee! I've had the flu vaccine but I'm an asthmatic so had it last November.

Catrionanic, free scans? Really?! I've one booked for a Saturday for convenience but free is tempting....

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

clacla82 wrote: »
    Wondering did any of you get the flu vaccine? Wasn't going to bother as late in the season but a woman was coughing and spluttering next to me at a conference today and it was all I could do not to get up and run off, the fear!

I got the flu shot back in September as I was planning to come off the pill in November. My GP did say that this year's shot didn't cover all the strains that seem to be going around.
    Otherwise all seems ok though. Have booked a private scan for when I’ll be around 8 weeks (Evie in the Beacon are doing them for free between 7 and 12 weeks!) so am looking forward to that!

Free scans? :confused: I had to google, what's the catch? :P
    I won't have any scan for what seems like forever since I'm not even referred to the hospital yet.
    http://evie.ie/care/once-off-services/early-viability-scan/

welcome to the group! So exciting for your kids to have a wee brother or sister!

Thank you!! They have got a clue when I tell them Mammy is having a baby, although one wants a brother while the other wants a sister. lol

I got the flu jab back in October - it's something I get through work at a discount so I get it every year.

Like others, I've heard it wasn't as effective this year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lili123

Hi There,

Got a BFP a few weeks ago, and should be ~6 weeks this weekend! Have booked in a for a free scan in evie around Patrick's day which we are looking forward to! I'm feeling ok, a few aches and pains and a 24 stomach bug have been my only complaints so far!

It's our first time through this so struggling to not get overloaded with information, so would appreciate some advice from people who have been through it! It's so annoying that we can't discuss these things with friends and family yet.

We are trying to figure out whether what options we go for re care, we have the semi-private cover via insurance but not sure if its worth the registration fee. So I'm hoping if I just list my questions, someone can help with some/all of them!

- From an actual process perspective, what is the difference between S-private and public? from what I see, S-private gets you maybe a more private room, and is more doctor lead than midwife lead? is there anything else? more scans?
    - Can you "upgrade" to S-private at some point?
    - What's the actual difference between Domino v Midwives Clinic v Combined Care? We live in South Dublin so Midwives clinic is close to us
    - Finally, most importantly, how do you start all this and when? Having looked around, we are fairly sure we don't need to go see GP, but do you need them to kick off the process?

We are leaning towards public, as we just don't see the "value" in Semi private....but are we missing something?

Sorry for the vomit of questions, it's a lot to take in and figure out!

Thanks in advance ladies. :-)

Spent an hour looking at my breakfast this morning, managed to eat about half of it before I gave up.
    Somehow I knew I was getting off lightly over the last 2 weeks! :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Lili123 the public v private is much discussed everywhere and I still don't know which is better. I think the main benefit to private or semi private is the reduced waiting times and possibly nicer area to wait in. Also there is of course the possibility (and it is only a possibility) of a semi private room after birth.

I think if you will get great care in both private and semi private, when its an uncomplicated pregnancy there is not a whole lot to the appointments anyway for the majority of the time. I was public but in a high risk clinic because of past medical stuff and I and others I know who were just normal public and got a little scan at every appointment (in holles Street anyway) so you didn't miss out on that.

If I had a choice though I would 100% be doing the domino scheme, yes you don't get scans all the time but from talking to others the care you get is so so good and far more personal and there is no traipsing in and out if town. I wish I wasn't high risk more than anything so that I could go with midwife led on the domino scheme.

I said before but other disagreed that I didn't think there was mush point in the gp appointment and you can register with your hospital yourself (in Dublin anyway) bit everyone is different and has their own preferences!

I feel a bit the same as you shortie, struggling to eat full meals but it's cause I get full so quickly and feel like I have eaten a huge dinner rather than just a few bits, I was the same last time no appetite at all

I'm 5 weeks today and did another test this morning in the hope that it would be much darker than the test I did on Monday. It was only slightly so now I'm stressing. I've had 2 miscarriages previously, and the last one, started with a faint line which went gradually to nothing until I got a late period, so I'm super paranoid about dark lines now.

Anyhoo, I know this is part and parcel of the early days. Bring on 12 weeks (with any luck).

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Had a scan in the EPU. Everything looking good and I could see the heartbeat. Starting to feel a little more relaxed now.

Is anyone else suffering with cramps? I'm 5w6d now and have had fairly minor cramps every day. I was anxious to start with but gradually accepted that I've been having them for two weeks and everything is ok so it must be normal.

Yesterday driving to work I had some stronger cramps and then had some brown discharge when wiping at 12pm and another very small amount at 1.30pm but nothing in between and nothing at all since then.

I woke up around 2.30am now with really strong cramps. I have never really suffered with period pains so these would have been strong cramps for me and I winced with pain at one point. I am worried this is abnormal and a sign of something worse to come?

No discharge or spotting at all tonight, I have taken two paracetamol and have a hot water bottle there now and seems to be more or less fine now with some tiny twinges.

Don't really know what I expect from writing all this..hoping others a bit further along might have similar pains and have been all alright? Is it really just down to stretching/increased blood supply down there?

Cash q, i had cramps on my first baby which were like period cramps, like you i dont get cramps ever so it was weird to get them but it is all normal and will fade over time,its just all the growing and stretching. Look up round ligament pain, its very very common. In a way i found the pains reasurring that there was growth going on in there.

I am not sure if it made a difference or if it was just scaremongering but i didnt use a hot waterbottle as they say to not overheat or cause excess heat as it can be bad, similar to the advice of not using saunas or jacuzzis, so soothing and all as the heat was for the cramps i stayed away from hot water bottles. Dont know if i was being over careful though.

Thanks greenttc yes I was looking up round ligament pain but thought that occurred later. There's so much conflicting information out there.

It did occur to me that the hot water bottle might be too hot, it gave serious relief though!

Yes I do take reassurance from feeling things are happening down there, I think a part of me just can't help expecting the worst to happen too and that's scary.. no discharge or spotting this morning which is very reassuring ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The hot water bottle would be ok in your back but better not to put it directly on your stomach. Cramping can be normal during early pregnancy but I know it’s nervewreaking when you don’t know what’s “normal” cramping and the other kind. Brown bleeding wouldn’t be anything to worry about either as it’s old blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Thanks greenttc yes I was looking up round ligament pain but thought that occurred later. There's so much conflicting information out there.

It did occur to me that the hot water bottle might be too hot, it gave serious relief though!

Yes I do take reassurance from feeling things are happening down there, I think a part of me just can't help expecting the worst to happen too and that's scary.. no discharge or spotting this morning which is very reassuring ðŸ˜႒

Hi Cash,

I had cramps till about week 7 they’ve stopped now, I’m 8 * 4. Also, I had two bouts of brown spotting: one at week 5 and one during week 6. Went to the EPU and was fine. Hope this helps x

I'm fairly sure the hot water bottle is fine. It's isolated to one area and can't penetrate through all the fat and muscle on my stomach. Saunas and Jacuzzis are banned because they increase your core temperature and your body can't cool itself because you're immersed in extreme heat. A hot water bottle won't have this effect and is really comforting so I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for all the reassurance about the cramps, I've had them consistently since finding out at 3w4d but the sharpness of it last night worried me. Seeing as I've had no spotting since I feel like it's going to be ok.

Just wish I could fast forward the next 34 weeks 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Round ligament pain was my first symptom the last two times I've been pregnant, one was chemical pregnancy, the second is my 3 month old son. But yeah anyways, it was my first symptom both times, so started about 11/12 days after conception, before I even had a positive test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Well the all day nausea has cleared a bit but now I’m gagging regularly which is super unpleasant!

As a random TMI aside from someone who has been there, I strongly recommend a step for the toilet for putting your feet on when doing your number twos. Piles are not fun lol

Little browny/pink discharge this afternoon again and now tonight pink blood when I wiped :( freaking out :(

I'll go straight to the Coombe tomorrow morning. Hoping it's not serious enough to warrant a visit but I'm not just waiting to see if it gets worse.

So ****ty I told my parents and siblings today and had such a fun day now am terrified and upset :(

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Little browny/pink discharge this afternoon again and now tonight pink blood when I wiped :( freaking out :(

I'll go straight to the Coombe tomorrow morning. Hoping it's not serious enough to warrant a visit but I'm not just waiting to see if it gets worse.

So ****ty I told my parents and siblings today and had such a fun day now am terrified and upset :(

Ðont panic yet Cash_Q.

I went to the EPU after a second round of spotting. The first bout sounds just like yours and the second was a week or so later and was brown discharge. They did a transvaginal scan and saw the baby, all was fine.

Go to the EPU in the morning, I found all the staff there so kind and sympathetic. Please god it's nothing, but try not to stress too much until you know more. X

Thanks awny it's more like red blood just now but nothing I can do about it so just have to wait til tomorrow. So upsetting.

I feel so so ill

I’m barely functioning

I’m barely functioning. I feel so so ill

Oh dear being up at 4:20 posting in here is rough. Can you take a day off work today? Sounds like you could do with a day of resting, or sitting on the floor of the bathroom. :-(

I've had a fairly delicate weekend and not enjoyed it one bit. Took me 45 minutes to eat 3/4 of a slice of toast this morning. Was hungry going to bed last night as I couldn't face any real meals yesterday. I know an empty stomach makes this worse, have a tub of water crackers and another of ginger nuts in my bag today. I feel like having the package visible in the kitchen is an advertisement "look pregnancy food!" Especially as I don't normally eat biscuits.

The only thing I've noticed soothes my stomach (however briefly) is cold, so sipping lots of water. I'm not usually a juice / smoothie drinker, but I bought one yesterday and was able for it. I figure it'll get some calories and small amount of nutrients into me while I can't face real foods.

awny wrote:
    Go to the EPU in the morning, I found all the staff there so kind and sympathetic. Please god it's nothing, but try not to stress too much until you know more. X

They were so so lovely and all is perfectly well. They did a scan and in could see the heartbeat. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

They were so so lovely and all is perfectly well. They did a scan and in could see the heartbeat. Phew!

Oh thank god Cash_Q, was thinking of you all morning! Thrilled to hear that. Hopefully we are all getting to the stage now where we can start to settle in and enjoy being pregnant!

• Advertisement

That’s brilliant Cash_Q.
    So relieved for you.

Advertisement