Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Emma couldnt be worse than this....

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pretty much no snowfall of any consequence last night in Leopardstown. Place looks almost the same as it did this time yesterday.

Snowing a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Artane2002

MÉ removed the words severe thunderstorms. It's now a risk of thunderstorms with hail in Munster and south Leinster. They say snow may turn to rain for a time on the south coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Eh it’s -5 in cork according to Met E website - i’d believe it, just stepped outside and it’s Baltic. Mad stuff altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

pad199207 wrote: »

See MTs post in the technical thread there

Im actually worried if we get hit later, id be happy enough with what we are getting now !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »

You don't actually mean that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭techdiver

Measured 9 inches (23 cm) in my driveway in Mullingar!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Front of the house faces East, which means I look out on the back garden to a serene view with gentle snowfall. Out the front might as well be arctic tundra with howling wind, snowing upwards at times.

Gentle but consistent snowfall here in D16 since about 9am. Probably added another half cm onto the 2-3 that came overnight.

I felt sorry for a juvenile blackbird poking at the snow-covered grass yesterday so threw a boatload of seeds and nuts out the back door.

This morning I see him jealously guarding his stash from a wiley thrush who keeps sneaking in behind his back and swiping stuff. Both birds look pretty fat though to be fair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just keeps coming down in Newbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

erica74 wrote: »
    Seriously, invaluable contributor. Anytime there is a big weather event my first port of call is the weather forum here to see what MTC is saying.

Absolutely! I'm so grateful to MTC and to all the posters who have kept us updated.

Thanks so much, each and every one of you, for sharing your expertise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

God I'm nearly thinking of going to the north of the city to experience this endless blizzard train there wasn't even an accumulation last night in many parts of south Dublin D:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Just keeps coming down in Newbridge

Id love to try plan the toughers snowfight again but none of us would make it there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Its mad it looks like North Donegal and Inishowen are getting it quite bad now, I'm a little south of Letterkenny and there is nothing here really at all.

It is mad and Derry’s roads are clear too, only a dusting up there. It’s apocoplytic here already in Irish weather terms and as a major snow lover I’m actually kind of afraid of what Emma will bring on top of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Got any graphics?

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭mikeecho

techdiver wrote: »
    Measured 9 inches (23 cm) in my driveway in Mullingar!

What were you measuring ? :pac::pac: Surely it would have been more if it hadn't been so cold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

wakka12 wrote: »
    God I'm nearly thinking of going to the north of the city to experience this endless blizzard train there wasn't even an accumulation last night in many parts of south Dublin D:

None in Malahide either. The streamers are just very hit and miss, to be expected unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just imagine. If the gulf stream stopped, this would be our normal weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Artane2002 wrote: »
    MÉ removed the words severe thunderstorms. It's now a risk of thunderstorms with hail in Munster and south Leinster. They say snow may turn to rain for a time on the south coast.

So more or less what theyve always said..
    Snow will be there in the evening. And then it becomes just bad weather. With probably more snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

Can any of regular knowledgable weather contributors give any idea on when conditions are set to improve in the west cork area, it's starting to get frightening here with the amount of snow falling, have two young kids who are sick, no way of even getting anywhere if needed, totally snowed in, any timeline for this to end and a thaw to happen? Any information would be greatly appreciated,

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Deank wrote: »
    lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Being snowing here on Naas all morning, so there is a big hole in that radar! If I was subscribing to the Netweather radar I would be well miffed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Progress on the snowbox thus far in SE Meath today compared with weds. Snow depth was hampered by some IOM shadow effect yesterday and a slight thaw but this morning has been pretty constant snow showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭bazlers

Great info. By all great work.
    Just wondering what time is the storm to hit the Midlands . 4 for the south so how long does it take to travel north?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Just imagine. If the gulf stream stopped, this would be our normal weather.
    This would kick off sometime in Late Oct/Early November and not properly go away until April. We'd really only have two seasons "cold and hot". It'd be pretty mad Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Looks like it’s been snowing most of the night in clonsilla. About ten inches lying on bins etc. Bit more on the ground as a lot is being blown off the bins etc. It’s drifted to about 30 inches at our back door as the wind blows into a corner there. I had to hop out a side window to pick up a large potted tree that blew over in th wind. My spring flowers have taken a pasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

bazlers wrote: »
    Great info. By all great work.
    Just wondering what time is the storm to hit the Midlands . 4 for the south so how long does it take to travel north?

Judging by Dublin, I would say between 6pm onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just saw a gust of wind blow some snow off a tree out our backyard and I was impressed by that....imagine what I’ll be like later :-P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Id love to try plan the toughers snowfight again but none of us would make it there :pac:

I’m dropping the neighbors around to the shops at the moment , ain’t the folks that didn’t spring the extra few quid for the 4wd versions of the fancy SUVs loving it now ,

In saying that , second time in 8years I’ve got really good use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Hardly any snow in Greystones, delighted, hopefully miss it all again today, although it was just on the radio that there could be more rain than snow later so who know's!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

0bad1f63a179df59c4d2f307cdc0d929.png

ECMWF model accumulations for Saturday 6am. Inches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

A crazy amount of snow has fallen here around Kinsale. Reports of power outages in Ballinaspittle and Dunderrow. I dont know how widespread power outages are.

Advertisement