Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Irish Sea is springing to life more to the north right now. Could be the turn for many parts of North Dublin and Meath soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Belting down again.

New development now in Irish sea may offer southsiders hope.

I've given up on the radar, it has been lying to me all evening. Back to the old lamppost tech for a while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

No one seems to be commenting on the unusually low temperatures in the cloudy and windy conditions tonight, -3.3c now.
    It is very unusual to get temperatures this low under cloud cover in Ireland, 2010 being the last time obviously.
    In recent winters I couldn't even manage <-3c on calm clear nights.

Let me fix that, I went up to the shop a short while ago.
    Its feckin baltic.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

After 23 hours of travel finally made it home. Started off in Chicago in 16c mild sunny weather, flight arrived in Dublin on time but runway just closed as approaching landing, bit of circling then diversion to Shannon, 4 hour wait on the plane, flight abandoned as crew over legal work limit, bussed to Limerick, slow train to Dublin standing only for many, taxi home. Surprisingly nearly everyone took it really well and possibly few friendships formed and lots of weather chat comparing US against Ireland. Most of the US folk were sniggering at the cancellation when in Shannon but took it a bit more serious when we reached Portlaoise - few horror stories about missed connections/weddings... Snow train report: sprinkling in Shannon/Limerick (no snowballs there), heavy shower in Thurles but generally light covering in Tipp apart from on the hills, real stuff started from Portlaoise on, deepest covering was in Kildare, depth tapered off a bit getting into Dublin and could see some areas took more of a pasting than others. Light snow showers from Drumcondra to Swords, stopped by Donabate but still nice covering from earlier. Now onto snowman making tomorrow onwards !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Originally Posted by markfla
    I have 4 family members and a load of friends and in-laws that were supposed to fly out to Vegas tomorrow also. Disappointed for them.
    Too much of a gamble I guess.

Surely they can find an Elvis impersonator over here to perform the wedding instead?? ;)

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Not much falling in Trim this evening so far.

As for the Polish lad talking about Irish drivers... Managed to avoid an Eastern European lad on my way into work this morning. He was coming the opposite direction to me and swerved over and back the road 3 or 4 times. He was lucky there was a massive grass verge on both sides of the road which he made full use of. Clearly been tipping it in his VW Polo.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Just went outside and nearly got blown away by blizzard conditions!

Just kidding there's nothing in D18 (please send snow) :mad:
    I can see big patches of sky above me (i.e. don't have complete cloud cover).

Not looking likely for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Claire6 wrote: »
    Does it absolutely infuriate anyone else when people say "ah Ireland is so dramatic, Canada/Poland/Austria get this weather all the time"?

Eh yes but that is their climate. Absolutely head wrecking.

Agree. I live in Switzerland and by the looks of things, the snow yous have now is worse than anything here all winter.

In addition, from time to time, they get caught out with the bad weather and there can be just as much travel chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Fierce wind and snow dublin 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

With Netweather.TV Radar turning weather type OFF gives better results .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

awec wrote: »
    I can see big patches of sky above me (i.e. don't have complete cloud cover).

Not looking likely for us.

Radar also shows a whole load of nothing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You guys on the southside have no idea what you're missing.

Blizzard conditions, snow piling up. Visibility a real issue here with the drifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Acosta

We're never going to be great driving in the snow because we barely ever get any of it. But we're crap drivers. Drive anywhere, any day and the road it full of drivers who won't or can't be bothered to do the basics properly or use common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I bid 1 Million Euro.
    Can collect of Saturday, okay?

Sold. Will drive it into an ice-cream container for you and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Absolutely hammering it down here in d9/11

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Blizzard conditions, snow piling up.

Your only getting half of what we got last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Blizzard conditions, snow piling up. Visibility a real issue here with the drifting.

Oh we know exactly what we're missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Nearly 5inches sitting on the driveway and it's still coming down.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Your only getting half of what we got last night.
    Speak for yourself.

This southsider got pretty much feck all last night. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Friend from Poland saying the same to me. "it's -20° in Poland. People just don't know how to drive here. Its embarrassing"...

Makes me sooo mad!!

Throw this at them, death rate per 100,000 drivers - Ireland- 4.1, Poland - 10.3

Edit: Is per 100,000 inhabitants

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

awec wrote: »
    Speak for yourself.

This southsider got pretty much feck all last night. :(

13cm here in Dublin 16....not feck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Blizzard in Coolock d17.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Has bearly stopped in since 7 in D13

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Or further north
    stoppit youre making me cry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Still Tipping down nicely here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Anglesey/Wales gone? :pac:

Appropriately enough, Tsar Bomba should just about do it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Seen enough lunatic drivers in real life today! Spinning out all day in my estate.

My house is on a corner leading into my estate. Lost count the number of tools who’ve nearly spun, hit another car or come through my front garden because they’re going to fast around the corner. What is it with people and these conditions in cars? They think they’re some sort of magic vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

-4 in tolka valley gushing out of the skies too all that's missing now is the thunder snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Coming down hard in D11, sideways, drifts starting. Bit worried now for tomorrow. I think snowfall amounts will be staggering in certain areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

RobertKK wrote: »
    It looks from the radar that Westmeath should have been in status red today.
    Absolutely. We have had such a lot of snow already and it been belting down more in the past hour. The poor dogs cant want walk through the snow, they have to jump through it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement