Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

Yes 100%. A friend from the US has been complaining all day on FB that we're all 'crazy'.

Friend from Poland saying the same to me. "it's -20° in Poland. People just don't know how to drive here. Its embarrassing"...

Makes me sooo mad!!

Claire6 wrote: »
    Friend from Poland saying the same to me. "it's -20° in Poland. People just don't know how to drive here. Its embarrassing"...

Makes me sooo mad!!
    Like, how do they think we're going to learn to drive in snow? Should we all be doing driving lessons in the arctic circle as part of our EDT? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I thought DAA(Dublin Airport Authority)was at least nearly prepared for this!?
    Just disappointed for a family member heading to Vegas early tomorrow morning. British Airways..
    Put back until Fri<<shir that won't happen either I'm guessing.

Constant clearing 600 acres after streamers is tough going. Much easier for countries that get frontal snow. Let it Snow, clear it. Off we go again. Stop start nature of streamers is actually more difficult to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Getting lashed out of it the last hour at Celbridge....keep her lit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

Snowfall starting again here in Ballincollig. Just measured 3.5 centimetres on my balcony. I was expecting more snow by now. Temperature out here is -2°C, dew point -4. air pressure seems to have stabilised at around 1009mb.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

m17 wrote: »
    The m17 near tuam Co Galway 28/02/18IMAG3097_zpsateadfjp.jpg
    What time was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

g47MbQd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Oh I wish I was on that m17

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The northside must be like a different planet to the southside.

Troll!

Just did a measure. Still 12cm of snow (on the level) here in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Makes me sooo mad!!

Ha check out those crazy Polish driving vids on YouTube :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Extremely heavy snow/whiteout again in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Shadylou wrote: »
    All gone very quiet in cork city

Any chippers open? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Big blob heading towards Cork atm behind the current showers. In for a pasting methinks. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Belting down again.

New development now in Irish sea may offer southsiders hope.

Like, how do they think we're going to learn to drive in snow? Should we all be doing driving lessons in the article circle as part of our EDT?

Yeah exactly.

Apologies we weren't prepared for this "one in a lifetime" event... By very definition, of course we wouldn't be prepared. Hoping this is extreme enough for those people to eat their words!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jones 19

Like, how do they think we're going to learn to drive in snow? Should we all be doing driving lessons in the arctic circle as part of our EDT? :P

I don't think they are expert drivers. It's the winter tyres they use, mandatory in a lot of countries on the continent, gives them exceptional grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

No one seems to be commenting on the unusually low temperatures in the cloudy and windy conditions tonight, -3.3c now.
    It is very unusual to get temperatures this low under cloud cover in Ireland, 2010 being the last time obviously.
    In recent winters I couldn't even manage <-3c on calm clear nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Troll!

Just did a measure. Still 12cm of snow (on the level) here in Dublin 16.

Lucan getting great stuff at the moment. More fun for the kids on the hill tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭xabi

Makes me sooo mad!!

Have a look at some of the dash cam videos from Poland, they are worse than our lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Just went outside and nearly got blown away by blizzard conditions!

Just kidding there's nothing in D18 (please send snow) :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Galeforce

Haven’t had a good snow shower since last night Balbriggan area any idea if we will get anything else or are the showers going to keep missing us? Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Belting down again.

New development now in Irish sea may offer southsiders hope.

Anglesey/Wales gone? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

No one seems to be commenting on the unusually low temperatures in the cloudy and windy conditions tonight, -3.3c now.
    It is very unusual to get temperatures this low under cloud cover in Ireland, 2010 being the last time obviously.
    In recent winters I couldn't even manage <-3c on calm clear nights.

Expecting -7 or -8c tonight in my location :eek: Definitely leaving the heat on all night, don't want any nasty surprises with frozen pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Snowing and blizzard in Dublin 15. Can see the same depth of snow again easily overnight.

One burning question though - what will happen first - the thaw or reaching 10,000 posts? Epic thread.

Speak Now wrote:
    Ha check out those crazy Polish driving vids on YouTube

Seen enough lunatic drivers in real life today! Spinning out all day in my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Anglesey/Wales gone? :pac:

Is it wrong to hope for a landslide to get rid of that region? :pac:

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    One burning question though - what will happen first - the thaw or reaching 10,000 posts? Epic thread.

New thread coming very soon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

ch750536 wrote: »
    Sonofabeech! Stuck in Birmingham Airport as Cork is closed. Looks like I'll miss snowmagedon.

Get the train and boat. about 50 euros to cork from any uk rail station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Not a bit of snow in d16 but possibly the coldest wind I've ever felt

• Advertisement

jones 19 wrote:
    I don't think they are expert drivers. It's the winter tyres they use, mandatory in a lot of countries on the continent, gives them exceptional grip.

jones 19 wrote:

Exactly. They have measures in place for this that they clearly take for granted in a country that isn't accustomed to extreme weather of any sort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement