Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

gastons wrote: »
    Snowing regularly here from about 1pm stunning scenes

Is that from 1982?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Snow stopped in Cork, but possibly new shower coming in soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4 redfan1

odyboody wrote: »
    you are on a site for fans of the weather

Each to their own no doubt and totally understand rare weather like this be fascinating for weather enthusiasts . At the same time, the impact a storm this severe (in Irish terms) will have on people around the country to transport , services and work etc will be huge. Thankfully I’m fortunate to be able to work from home but this is causing real serious problems for many people.

I saw one poster say “what is not to like” in reply to why they happy to see this weather which seems astonishingly detached from the realities of storm despite being abit of a weather enthusiast myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Snowing in Galway now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Walked though Tullamore Park to meet my dad, saw a guy dragging a sled up a hill his son behind him.

Stopped to talk; he’s Polish, used to this weather, but his son 8, never seen it, told him it’s been 36 years since we did!

The young lad bombs down the hill on the sled, his dad preparing to drag it back up again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Great snow in Galway in the past hour. Must be 2-3cm. Worth waiting for...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Cork city snow resumed again but snow flakes bit heavier now and slower re motion wind direction in last 30 mins.Somes of the buses wont go up hill just flat roads etc. Made a bigger snowball out of these snow on the footpaths.

Just wondering if there is more to come tmw after 4pm??

YES...LOTS more to come tomorrow...much much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

3.30pm tomorrow

DMQWVIYW0AAGYvd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Angelsa seems to be curtailing any streamer production for Wicklow at the moment. Need wind a bit more NE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Oh my heavens, it's unreal here! Blowing snow, gale-force gusts and very heavy snow = absolute whiteout. Near 0 visibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wild drifting going on here near Santry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

streamer stretching all the way from north wales to well past tullamore! crazy! radar looks more promising for me now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

haminka wrote: »
    You should come down to Meath. Plenty of snow to build an army of snowmen.

Jesus, was 2010 in Croke Park not enough without rubbing this in?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

eigrod wrote: »
    3.30pm tomorrow

DMQWVIYW0AAGYvd.jpg

Dermot Morgan is dead exactly 20 years today by the way. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Watching the news there ref powerscourt waterford, oh so glad not living there with that bad hill out of it, at least they gritted the hill down to Waterford Castle. Most of the estates around the area had roads like porculane with cars taking 3 or 4 feet to slid to a halt when coming to the main road. Paths were the same only safe place was to walk on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very heavy snow in Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Heroditas wrote: »
    Nothing in Lucan and we're only a few miles away!!

Seriously? Looking at the radar you should be right under this streamer as well?

Hard to judge accumulation with the strong wind but looks to be an extra 5cm+ in the past hour with significant drifting. Looking out the window right now its hard to fathom that the worst is still potentially ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Anyone have any idea how it's looking for north cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

redfan1 wrote: »
    Each to their own no doubt and totally understand rare weather like this be fascinating for weather enthusiasts . At the same time, the impact a storm this severe (in Irish terms) will have on people around the country to transport , services and work etc will be huge. Thankfully I’m fortunate to be able to work from home but this is causing real serious problems for many people.

I saw one poster say “what is not to like” in reply to why they happy to see this weather which seems astonishingly detached from the realities of storm despite being abit of a weather enthusiast myself.

The reality is that the weather will do what it will do regardless of humans hoping either way.

That said I get that someone being oblivious to the downsides of snow is irritating. There are plenty. Expressing glee about the snow doesn't mean that most folks are unaware of those downsides though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Currently -4 , roads are going to be bad tonight and morning...huge showers keep missing me . Currently two big showers both sides of me.
    Haven’t had a decent bit since 4.
    Laois/ kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well Cork has seen significant snow the last 2 hours and the wind is now howling. It seems like storm Emma has already arrived down here...
    Extraordinary

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

patneve2 wrote: »
    streamer stretching all the way from north wales to well past tullamore! crazy! radar looks more promising for me now

Looks like it's edging ever so slowly south.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Great snow in Galway in the past hour. Must be 2-3cm. Worth waiting for...

great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

revelman wrote: »
    After a snow shower that lasted an hour, I’ve just taken another measurement in the level driveway outside my house in rural Kinsale. Snow accumulation is now near 20cm whereas it was at 15cm in the same spot this morning. Pics of measurement and driveway from about 5 mins ago below.

Six one news said we could expect 25cm tomorrow and 40cm on Friday. I know these are maximums and there are lots of variables like how much will thaw etc. but my last measurement outside was 20cm (see above).

So 20+25+40=a hellov a lot of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Really creepy looking sky over clondalkin....looks like it has serious potential .... dare I get excited today was a little disappointing after the initial joy of what I woke up to

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Jesus, was 2010 in Croke Park not enough without rubbing this in?

There will be no referees, so don't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Some Great Photos in the photo section. Keep them coming. Here is the Link:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057845112

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Oh my heavens, it's unreal here! Blowing snow, gale-force gusts and very heavy snow = absolute whiteout. Near 0 visibility.

Lol this is gutting to read 8km south in the dry barren south Dublin landscape

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    The reality is that the weather will do what it will do regardless of humans hoping either way.

That said I get that someone being oblivious to the downsides of snow is irritating. There are plenty. Expressing glee about the snow doesn't mean that most folks are unaware of those downsides though.
    +1. The snow is going to prove a pretty big disruption to my work and I'm sure I will be cursing it next week when I have to try catch up on everything, but ultimately there's absolutely nothing I can do about it so might as well enjoy the novelty of it for now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement