Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

D14Rugby wrote: »
    They got a try that was more bad defense than anything else, take that out and its a 6 - 12 win in Paris, and as the linked stats show, we dominated the game.
    If you've ever played with a new ball in the rain you'll know spinning it quickly wide through the hands isn't an option. As for the kicking in behind, that's just giving France's two biggest weapons the ball or at least giving them a line out, the way to beat France is use their two biggest weaknesses against them, fitness and discipline, to exploit fitness you've to move them about quick and often (not an option in the weather), so then you get to discipline and the easiest way to do that is go from ruck to ruck to ruck.

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/matchcentre/live/france-v-ireland/#match-report
    As attempts to justify how a team with > 60% possession and territory should be happy with 0 tries and 0 linebreaks go, this is extremely disappointing. The match thread was better than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Are you going to the match? If so I'd suggest walk back up towards Baggot's Street and catch it in Searsons, or one of those hives of scum and villainy.

Yeah but I’m heading for Hueston. Slattery’s or a pub nearer town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

As attempts to justify how a team with > 60% possession and territory should be happy with 0 tries and 0 linebreaks go, this is extremely disappointing. The match thread was better than this.

Because they weren't playing for linebreaks the majority of the time, they were playing for penalties and the hard yards.
    Not only did I not criticize Joe Schmidt for not answering a question about tactics, he wasn’t asked specifically about tactics. Your inability to understand my view may be assisted by reading it I guess.

The question asked was specifically about tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

prawnsambo wrote: »
    A bit extreme, but gave me a chuckle anyway. :D

I spent a few years working for a national newspaper (no I wasn't a paper boy 😆) Trust me it's a perfectly valid way of dealing with them.

Sorry lads, just realized this was the team thread not the RWI v Schmidt thread.

Because they weren't playing for linebreaks the majority of the time, they were playing for penalties and the hard yards.

The question asked was specifically about tactics.
    The question was whether or not Joe felt changes needed to be made. OK, you could say that’s specifically about tactics but he wasn’t asking Joe to go into detail about tactics for this game specifically, just whether or not he felt changes were needed. Joe’s decision to talk about tactics in detail was entirely his own. He could easily have said “Were always looking to change things for the better”, thrown the mic at the floor, and walked out with his hands above his head.

Ireland weren’t playing for hard yards! What a meaningless idea! What you’ve said just makes little sense. 1. Passing is hard in the rain: True, certainly for amateurs, but it’s just a fairly meaningless fact. Especially for a coach from NZ. We dominated possession, we could have taken risks. 2. Kicking is risky: Ireland’s most important play in the entire game was a kick to over Vakatawa at a time when the slightest mistake would have been game over. There’s absolutely no reason Ireland could not have done more of that, and it would have created far more space for the midfield as the back three changes their shape to adapt. 3. France’s fitness is a weakness: Their tight 5 made 140+ tackles, we did a terrible job of taking advantage of this supposed lack of fitness if it exists.

The bottom line is our attack falters at times. It did against Wales last year and it did against France this year. It’s not heresy to point this out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has anyone ever been out as long and returned to international rugby?
    He is an example of determination.

Lionel Bauxis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Lionel Bauxis?

Fergus to come on (wearing a jersey that's too small ) score the winning try/DG and be forever known as the Paddy Beaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Ireland weren’t playing for hard yards! What a meaningless idea! What you’ve said just makes little sense. 1. Passing is hard in the rain: True, certainly for amateurs, but it’s just a fairly meaningless fact. Especially for a coach from NZ. We dominated possession, we could have taken risks. 2. Kicking is risky: Ireland’s most important play in the entire game was a kick to over Vakatawa at a time when the slightest mistake would have been game over. There’s absolutely no reason Ireland could not have done more of that, and it would have created far more space for the midfield as the back three changes their shape to adapt. 3. France’s fitness is a weakness: Their tight 5 made 140+ tackles, we did a terrible job of taking advantage of this supposed lack of fitness if it exists.

The bottom line is our attack falters at times. It did against Wales last year and it did against France this year. It’s not heresy to point this out.

1. It's difficult for everyone, science doesn't change based on the level of rugby you play at, its slightly easier for pros but not significantly.
    We had that much possession because we didn't take risks.
    2. The kick was possible because France were so tight due to what Ireland had done the previous 80 so they weren't expecting it.
    3. Aerobic fitness is their problem, not anaerobic fitness.

It does falter but against France it didn't, it went to plan, no better, no worse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I just heard the Schmidt comments on the radio that Cummisky tweeted about earlier, he gave a perfectly reasonable answer. There's much more to it than given in the tweet.

mangobob wrote: »
    Ok I have just watched the video of the press conference and I have to say the tenor of Joes statement is completely different from that suggested by Cummiskeys tweet. His tone was in fact totally relaxed and I felt not defensive at all. He disagreed with the premise of the question, but he explained his reasoning calmly and in some depth.

He also was misquoted at the end. With respect to the differences in how we play from 2 years ago, he didn't say "I'm not going to explain them...that's your job" he said "I'm obviously not going to explain them...that's your guys challenge, I guess."

Subtle differences but it completely changes the interpretation. Sloppy journalism.

Just sitting down to watch this in full in case I missed it something in it. Here is the full coverage:

I'd encourage people to watch that and form an opinion. Then read this tweet and see if you think it is fair.

https://twitter.com/Cumoski/status/966672383791849473

IBF I know you feel a determined need to defend the print media but you don't need to worry here, this isn't journalism. It's something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

schmidt and the irfu have a relatively easy ride from all media.
    But i have noticed since autumn some fair questioning of irelands tactics, which in itself is questioning schmidts job.
    Add in the poor form against france, the poor finish against italy, rory best and grobler - and the media/experts have asked honest and fair questions of the irfu and schmidt.
    And schmidt and the irfu have completely over reacted.
    i am surprised by schmidt, usually he is well able for the media. if ireland lose 2 of the next 3 which is very possible he will find he needs the same media he has just declared war on at his side.
    This championship just got real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Possession is a very powerful weapon even without tries or line breaks - the opposition is not scoring as long as you have the ball. The match is decided by points not tries or linebreaks. Winning with three-pointers is much better than losing with five-pointers.

We must take the sting out of this Welsh team, and frustrate them. 60% possession would be great. We must also waste as much time as possible (slow to lineouts, scrums, etc, reset scrums as much as possible, delay the play at rucks to the max, etc) , play as little as possible. The shorter, the real 'in play' time, which is the risk time, the better.

The offload is our enemy - I would not be surprised if the team is sent our with a "you'll never rugby in this town again" if you offload message from Joe. Zero risks. Zero mistakes. Give away zero penalties. And play the game infront of their 22. Win penalties. Maybe a drop. Secure the defensive line as the all over riding priority and shut them down at source as quickly as possible.

It will be tough. And will take a top performance of discipline, work rate, team work, and cool heads, to implement. But we can do it. Am looking forward to the Schmidt tactical masterclass that will unfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

schmidt and the irfu have a relatively easy ride from all media.
    But i have noticed since autumn some fair questioning of irelands tactics, which in itself is questioning schmidts job.
    Add in the poor form against france, the poor finish against italy, rory best and grobler - and the media/experts have asked honest and fair questions of the irfu and schmidt.
    And schmidt and the irfu have completely over reacted.
    i am surprised by schmidt, usually he is well able for the media. if ireland lose 2 of the next 3 which is very possible he will find he needs the same media he has just declared war on at his side.
    This championship just got real.

Scmidt was prefectly reasonable in that video. .What more could he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Has anyone ever been out as long and returned to international rugby?
    He is an example of determination.
    Tony O'Reilly. Seven year gap. Ireland's greatest ever wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

jacothelad wrote: »
    Tony O'Reilly. Seven year gap. Ireland's greatest ever wing.

Prompting the line "Ireland recall Heinz Beans has bean".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Prompting the line "Ireland recall Heinz Beans has bean".

Heinz Meanz Triez...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Cummiskey is a mouthpiece, even if he was right I'd still have no interest in listening to his opinion. I dunno, maybe it's the proliferation of online sports sites that rely on traffic passing through it by whatever means possible... or the general bite-sized way media is being consumed/provided, but the standard of journalism is definitely lowering.

There seems (or not, I've stayed well out of it to be honest) to be a bit of tension between Joe/IRFU and the media recently but even if there is or isn't, is it really that interesting anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭leakyboots

As for the game, I think Wales could do us.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Possession is a very powerful weapon even without tries or line breaks - the opposition is not scoring as long as you have the ball. The match is decided by points not tries or linebreaks. Winning with three-pointers is much better than losing with five-pointers.

We must take the sting out of this Welsh team, and frustrate them. 60% possession would be great. We must also waste as much time as possible (slow to lineouts, scrums, etc, reset scrums as much as possible, delay the play at rucks to the max, etc) , play as little as possible. The shorter, the real 'in play' time, which is the risk time, the better.

The offload is our enemy - I would not be surprised if the team is sent our with a "you'll never rugby in this town again" if you offload message from Joe. Zero risks. Zero mistakes. Give away zero penalties. And play the game infront of their 22. Win penalties. Maybe a drop. Secure the defensive line as the all over riding priority and shut them down at source as quickly as possible.

It will be tough. And will take a top performance of discipline, work rate, team work, and cool heads, to implement. But we can do it. Am looking forward to the Schmidt tactical masterclass that will unfold.

Is this the template of a team with ambitions to win the next RWC ..... hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ahem. TRoL often gets that kind of response. :D

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Ahem. TRoL often gets that kind of response. :D

Seriously though .... you'd swear you were playing NZ on Saturday not Wales by some of the stuff I've been reading and hearing over the last few days.

Ireland .... 3rd best team in the world (as the media here are ever so quick to remind us all) ..... @ home ...... best half backs in the world (as we are also constantly reminded of) .... best coach in the world (ditto .... the constantly reminded of bit) ........ up against a team minus 3 lions test starters (plus another on the bench) who are rated the nth best in the world. You are all way too twitchy .... surely it's home win.

BTW .... is it me or is Joe feeling the heat a little? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Seriously though .... you'd swear you were playing NZ on Saturday not Wales by some of the stuff I've been reading and hearing over the last few days.

Ireland .... 3rd best team in the world (as the media here are ever so quick to remind us all) ..... @ home ...... best half backs in the world (as we are also constantly reminded of) .... best coach in the world (ditto .... the constantly reminded of bit) ........ up against a team minus 3 lions test starters (plus another on the bench) who are rated the nth best in the world. You are all way too twitchy .... surely it's home win.

BTW .... is it me or is Joe feeling the heat a little? ;)

Furlong, SOB, Henderson, Heaslip, Henshaw, Payne. You're not the only ones missing a few Lions ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Slightly out there but would anyone know a good place to watch this game in Reykjavik by any chance??
    The only Irish pub in keflavik said there's no chance he's having it there.... Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I know its sarcasm but some of that strategy seemed to win a couple of world cups for SA and England

I know its sarcasm but some of that strategy seemed to win a couple of world cups for SA and England
    Agreed .... though it was complemented with a mighty pack and a slice of luck in avoiding NZ in both instances ....

Zzippy wrote: »
    Furlong, SOB, Henderson, Heaslip, Henshaw, Payne. You're not the only ones missing a few Lions ;)
    Acknowledged ..... though I suspect I'd beat you in missing 'king of the savannah' top trumps .....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I fear Chris Farrell will be used in a similar way corpses used to be catapulted over the walls of besieged mid-evil towns to spread plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Sigh. Unzips.

You needed to take a leak after seeing that :confused:

It does falter but against France it didn't, it went to plan, no better, no worse

I don't think there's any way to reconcile with someone who thinks our attacking game went to plan against France. This is a situation where someone is adapting their own expectations to make them fit in with their opinion of their team, rather than the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Its funny, if you go on scrum5 or whatnot forums you'll see the Welsh think the exact same as us except the other way around. This fixture is possibly unique in rugby in the fact that home advantage seems to mean absolutely naff all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement