Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think on a dry day we would have beaten France handily, but I guess we'll never know.

For what it's worth Parisse thinks Ireland are a lot harder to defend against than England.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Given the current tensions, do you not think that maybe Schmidt challenging reporters to find out more about the Irish team on their own while also continuously reducing their access to the camp might be a bit inflammatory?

Do you think that Joe discussing his tactics in press conference would make sense in any sane world? Do you think any coach in the world would go into the finer details in a press conferrnce? Maybe if it weren’t for wind up merchants like Cummiskey, access would be a bit more free. Instead with get this negative spin bordering on lying, why should the IRFU engage.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,101 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lads can we leave the schmidt media talk to the other dedicated thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

This may be a thing of nothing, a knock in training. But thinking of Sexton over the years, maybe a player can be too brave to the point where it catches up on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This may be a thing of nothing, a knock in training. But thinking of Sexton over the years, maybe a player can be too brave to the point where it catches up on him.

Treatment on his back? Seemingly innocuous? Before an Ireland game in the Aviva?

Could also mean he needs two back surgeries and will maybe be back in Spring 2019, who knows.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Treatment on his back? Seemingly innocuous? Before an Ireland game in the Aviva?

Could also mean he needs two back surgeries and will maybe be back in Spring 2019, who knows.

Indeed, it could be anything. Hence my use of the word 'may'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,186 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd be concerned if he started the session and then withdrew for treatment. The fact that he joined in later makes me think it was largely a bit of maintenance on a 32 year old who has had a long 12 months.

• Administrators Posts: 53,445 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Captain's Run is mostly a ceremonial / token light runaround anyway is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I don’t think it’s a concern unless Keatley gets pulled from the Munster team..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Kevski wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s a concern unless Keatley gets pulled from the Munster team..

Well Byrne isn't in the Leinster squad ;) :pac:
    awec wrote: »
    Captain's Run is mostly a ceremonial / token light runaround anyway is it not?

It's just a quick run through some moves and some kicking, it's more important for away games but at home it's just more tradition at this stage

Buer wrote: »
    I'd be concerned if he started the session and then withdrew for treatment. The fact that he joined in later makes me think it was largely a bit of maintenance on a 32 year old who has had a long 12 months.

Yes, reminds me of a 34 year old with two surgeries who's had a long 12 months also. Wishing them both well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Rory says he's grand. No bother lads, go back to your regular duties.

Buer wrote: »

Yes, reminds me of a 34 year old with two surgeries who's had a long 12 months also. Wishing them both well.

If Sexton had previously suffered a fracture in his spine it might remind me of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Sexton is clearly not going to play and his presence at training is a cover for a late switch.

Ian Madigan was on that horrendous TV3 show last night, so he's in Dublin.

Coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

Have to work tomorrow, what time will Player have the match available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Sexton is clearly not going to play and his presence at training is a cover for a late switch.

Ian Madigan was on that horrendous TV3 show last night, so he's in Dublin.

Coincidence?

Wait... that's JOEincidence with a C. Madigan confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Leavy on James Ryan.

Leavy: “Weird lad, but great player. “
    GC: “How so?”
    Leavy: “He refers to himself as The Big Cheese. He’s just weird, like.”

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

.ak wrote: »
    Leavy on James Ryan.

Leavy: “Weird lad, but great player. “
    GC: “How so?”
    Leavy: “He refers to himself as The Big Cheese. He’s just weird, like.”

:pac:

That's hilarious :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

mangobob wrote: »

? You're easily amused :)

mangobob wrote: »

A fair comment.... Jack Kanoff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I know its sarcasm but some of that strategy seemed to win a couple of world cups for SA and England

No sarcasm, if it is my post you are referring to.

There is a way to beat this Welsh team, and I think this is the way to do it. And no messing, I would guess that Joe is thinking along similar lines.

Quality coaches are realists not dreamers. However much people might like to see mutli pop pass offload sequences from marauding forwards, the jinking feet or lightening breaks through wafer thin gaps by the latest hottest hope 3/4s, coaches know what they are paid to do. Joe's record and playing pattern is pretty evident to us at this stage. And for tomorrows exam paper, we can take a pretty good estimate of how he will try to handle it. Wazza knows it too. But Joe seems to bet on more and more perfect execution of the same recipe to drive performance, rather than variety or change just for the sake of it. It is the syndrome BobbyK embodies to his core for example and why he is an automatic Joe pick.

The injury list further strengthens the need for this approach.

3 or 4 scores to 1 or 2 from the Welsh. Of course you take it if the opportunity presents, but tries a low percentage ploy. It is a strategy that is very demanding in defensive organisation. But that is the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Its a gift :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I know its sarcasm but some of that strategy seemed to win a couple of world cups for SA and England

There is a way to beat this Welsh team, and I think this is the way to do it. And no messing, I would guess that Joe is thinking along similar lines.

Quality coaches are realists not dreamers. However much people might like to see mutli pop pass offload sequences from marauding forwards, the jinking feet or lightening breaks through wafer thin gaps by the latest hottest hope 3/4s, coaches know what they are paid to do. Joe's record and playing pattern is pretty evident to us at this stage. And for tomorrows exam paper, we can take a pretty good estimate of how he will try to handle it. Wazza knows it too. But Joe seems to bet on more and more perfect execution of the same recipe to drive performance, rather than variety or change just for the sake of it. It is the syndrome BobbyK embodies to his core for example and why he is an automatic Joe pick.

3 or 4 scores to 1 or 2 from the Welsh. Of course you take it if the opportunity presents, but tries a low percentage ploy. It is a strategy that is very demanding in defensive organisation. But that is the challenge.
    I honestly see our lineout and maul as the weapon of attack against wales, I think we might kill them with that and sexton/murray/aki. Its 101 cup rugby

I honestly see our lineout and maul as the weapon of attack against wales, I think we might kill them with that and sexton/murray/aki. Its 101 cup rugby
    And just to confirm I don't see playing those tactics as some admission of inferiority, I just think we can very much dominate wales with possession, territory and set piece. Jesus christ, toner,james ryan and O'Mahoney are going to play in the same team, I'm praying for lineouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

And just to confirm I don't see playing those tactics as some admission of inferiority, I just think we can very much dominate wales with possession, territory and set piece. Jesus christ, toner,james ryan and O'Mahoney are going to play in the same team, I'm praying for lineouts.

Jesus christ particularly. Really gets high up there.

Jesus christ particularly. Really gets high up there.
    Josanna in the HiAce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Indeed, what wins the game, wins the game (inside the rules, obviously). There's no shame in employing tactics to beat a particular opponent. Tomorrow for example, we'll probably be closer to Warrenball, such as it is, than Wales will be. Is that an indicment of Ireland? No, we do what needs to be done. Would it be the same if we played exactly the same game against everyone else, yes. Many criticise this Schmidt Ireland for lack of ambition, but truth is, Schmidt of all coaches is a horses for courses coach. He might choose the same players, but his time at Leinster and Ireland show he chooses a gameplan rather than a team, and trusts his team, whoever they are, to implement that gameplan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

No idea how the conversation has gone this way. People are smoking very bizarre stuff these days. If we are closer to Warrenball it will be a massive, massive improvement over our attacking performance in Paris, which was dire.

There's no shame in employing tactics which favour possession over expansiveness, when it works. It didn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement