Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That is some amount of "Get over it"/Gaslighting posts.

Not so much gaslighting but yeah, it’s Probably best to get over grid girls, halo and engine noise. The sport changes all the time.

There are races during the season too. It’s not all about the soap opera that surrounds them.

Not so much gaslighting but yeah, it’s Probably best to get over grid girls, halo and engine noise. The sport changes all the time.

There are races during the season too. It’s not all about the soap opera that surrounds them.
    You need to get over it.

You need to get over it.

I see what you did there. You suckered me into responding.

Whether intended or not you bring up an interesting point. F1 is in a perpetual cycle of outrage over one thing or another. It makes out that it’s above culture but it’s very much a part of culture. It’s a mix of business, technology and sport. It’s completely prisoner to demands of the market.

The market wants speed, economy, safety over big noise and boobs. F1 meets the demand and carries on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Remember the Lola’s in Melbourne 1997?

10/11 seconds off the pace, neither driver got near an F1 seat again.

Actually Rosset did, even though Sospiri out qualified him by several seconds.

From Wikipedia:
    In 1998, Rosset was chosen by Craig Pollock to be Tyrrell's second driver, to the fury of Ken Tyrrell, whose choice was, ironically, Verstappen. Pollock had bought into the team with a view to establishing BAR, and saw Rosset's superior sponsorship finance as essential in balancing the team's budget. The 1998 season was another unsuccessful one for Rosset, leading to a joke from Martin Brundle, who, upon Murray Walker's suggestion that people were debating whether Rosset was F1 quality, he remarked "it's a fairly short debate". Also, after severely damaging his car in qualifying at the 1998 Monaco Grand Prix and receiving a warning from the stewards, his furious mechanics switched the first and last letters of his surname on his paddock scooter to form the word "tosser".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Actually Rosset did, even though Sospiri out qualified him by several seconds.

From Wikipedia:

The Danish guy Tom Kristensen is who i was thinking of there :o

• Advertisement

Sospiri was 1.1 seconds faster in qualifying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Australian_Grand_Prix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Less complex front wings and more mechanical grip, louder engine noise, and no ugly appendages (halo, shark fins, t-wings). It's really not rocket science but year after year, they deliver things which are very unpopular. Hopefully Ross Brawn can get things back on track for 2021.

Halo looks horrendous and totally ruins the look of the cars. It's just not F1. I think it will also ruin the on-board footage too by having this appendage so close to the camera. Safety has been improved in so many areas (VSC, wheel tethers, cockpit design, etc) that we really do not need to shoehorn ugly bits onto the car.

I generally watch 1 or 2 practice sessions, all of qualifying, all of the race and a good chunk of the coverage, but my enthusiasm is now at an all time low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

I honestly don’t get the big rigmarole of the halo.
    I’d be happy if they all had distinctive colors so you could spot which car is which during the race straight off.
    Some of the cars look exactly the same,the force India can change color depending on the angle.
    Way to many cars are blue.

Couldn’t care less about halo wheel size to front nose ratio or any of the stuff that makes it look cool.

I’d love if one car wasn’t the clear winner after three races.
    I’d love if the drivers all drove the same car in one race to stop people drooling over drivers who are just in a way faster car.
    Sorry for the rant lads.
    Imagine we had the last race for double points but the championship first place had to drive last place car and second place had to drive second from last car and so on.

Listening to an interesting podcast about the Williams launch. They had an analysis based on team fastest laps each weekend compared to the overall fastest lap. In 2014 Williams was 0.9s off the pace and that gapmincreases each year to 2s last year. They also finished 4,3,5,5 in those years but with diminishing points each year.

The car was very much an evolution from 2014-2017, based on aerodynamic straight line speed rather than overall downforce, with diminishing returns. This year's car is a philosophical overhaul thanks to Paddy Lowe and the former Ferrari guy. New concept won't necessarily be fast at first but hopefully Williams get it together

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

What Pod cast?
    Listening to an interesting podcast about the Williams launch. They had an analysis based on team fastest laps each weekend compared to the overall fastest lap. In 2014 Williams was 0.9s off the pace and that gapmincreases each year to 2s last year. They also finished 4,3,5,5 in those years but with diminishing points each year.

The car was very much an evolution from 2014-2017, based on aerodynamic straight line speed rather than overall downforce, with diminishing returns. This year's car is a philosophical overhaul thanks to Paddy Lowe and the former Ferrari guy. New concept won't necessarily be fast at first but hopefully Williams get it together

• Advertisement

Autosport 16 feb. Good podcast. Decent analysis.

They had the images of the new car in advance of the launch and spoke with a he key team members to get their take on the car philosophy. It was embargoed so they could create the magazine to coincide with the launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Red Bull RB14 launch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Red Bull RB14 launch today.

Posted at 4 minutes past midnight.....someone's excited! :pac:

Much as I wish they'd go back to a 2010/2011 style livery, I can see them sticking with the matte paint.

Hopefully it will be a very competitive car this year. Wouldn't mind Ricciardo having a shot at the title this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Harika

FML, I really liked that livery, now it is just a camouflage. I am quite sure the designers will then spend 1000s of hours, to come up with a very similar bland design to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I thought last years livery was fantastic. Hope they don't stray too far from it. Just hope it's quick and reliable enough for a fight st the top. It will be another tragic year if them and the rest of the big teams haven't caught up to merc given the talent that's around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I actually am disappointed now.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but saw the livery before seeing it was temporary. Thought it looked outstanding. No doubt back to the normal livery for redbull.

It has wings coming out beside the drivers head. Never saw that before

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The bargeboard and sidpod section...the wake off that will be insane.

Overtaking my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Halo also blocks our view... might be hard to determine drivers

https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/965559928093110279

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The big number on the nose should guide you a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

flazio wrote: »
    The big number on the nose should guide you a little.

I've always been guided by helmet colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I don't know why I find the livery so beautiful.

R2elvO2.png

I've not even been drawn into the halo. Would love a twist with the redbull livery this year, shame this will not be the one they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

DWZbl-zXcAAmbPm.jpg:large

That halo looks disgusting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Adamocovic wrote: »

R2elvO2.png

I've not even been drawn into the halo. Would love a twist with the redbull livery this year, shame this will not be the one they use.

Interesting design from Red Bull. RB14 sidepod design looks like
    last years Ferrari with the stub wing over it, and the serrated bargeboards look Mercedes. The nose looks very skinny, a bit like the "Ardvark" McLaren that from the early naughties. Massively oversized floor and size zero rear end, and from the filming day shot above, it's also running plenty of rake. This is a car that will generate a lot of downforce and Red Bull know a thing or two about clever aero that seems to have very low drag. If Renault have narrowed the power deficit to the others over the winter then this thing will be very competitive.

R2elvO2.png

The livery reminds me of the 1994 Sauber.

The livery reminds me of the 1994 Sauber.

Was it this one below?

flatout-2014-07-07-c3a0s-23-38-27.jpg?w=810&h=472

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Was it this one below?

flatout-2014-07-07-c3a0s-23-38-27.jpg?w=810&h=472

Yes that’s her.

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Harika

I think if you clean the squares of the design, it would still be an amazing livery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I know the car's ride height is nowhere set up for racing as that's a photo shoot, still...looks like we've got SUVs invading F1 as well now :D:D:D

Advertisement