Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raves

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

MDMA has been my go to for years now, but from what im hearing from some friends the pills that around now are the strongest that have been around in years.

Stab*City wrote: »
    No the one and only difference between late 80's early 90's were the yokes. For a period there from 88/89-92/93 and maybe a bit later there was certain types of E that really did change scumbags into friends. Although when people came down the following few days it was business as usual. These pills (Snowballs, Mad Bastards, Rhubarb&Custard, The first White doves, Dennis the Menaces etc) were totally different to what came later. It really was a love buzz. I mean there will always be some who are just pure scum but trust me i seen enemies turn into friends over night after a snowball. And they simply don't make E like that anymore or even after 94-95. Some people say the doves of the mid-late 90's were similar and they were but were not a patch on what came before them.

Yes but the big difference back then was the emergence of Dance Music. It was like nothing heard before and that mixed with the love buzz created a vibe that was magical. Right place right time comes to mind. Im sure the original summer of love was similar but ours was more full on and alot stronger.

I went to my first rave back in those days, from there i started djing, since i have become involved in the scene heavily. I gave up drugs and drink years ago but my last rave was a couple months back (although these days they are in much trendier surroundings) I cant remember a thing from 90-2008 but i can remember everything since. These days i enjoy the clubs/events for the music as opposed to the buzz. Its different but still enjoyable.

Sir Henrys, Theatre Royal, Prodigy in the point 1992, Club UK, Fantasia, Tribal Gathering Uk, Creamfields, The System, The Asylum, Sex Kitchen, La Locomotive Paris, My Gaff all to name but a few. I loved every minute.

By the way the E was so good that if you handed me an original snowball right now id drop it right here at my corporate desk.
    thebull85 wrote: »
    MDMA has been my go to for years now, but from what im hearing from some friends the pills that around now are the strongest that have been around in years.
    Yeah all the studies and analysis shows pill strength going up and up. MDMA is as cheap now as it's ever been and apparently there's no scag off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Yeah all the studies and analysis shows pill strength going up and up. MDMA is as cheap now as it's ever been and apparently there's no scag off it.

A common misconception - pills are MDMA - just a different form. I often hear of people referring to the crystals as MDMA as if it's somehow different. Granted pills are slightly more likely to be adulterated but if they're clean pills there's no difference. You're right about the strength of pills always going up however.

The idea of no skag off the crystals also isn't true.

A common misconception - pills are MDMA - just a different form. I often hear of people referring to the crystals as MDMA as if it's somehow different. Granted pills are slightly more likely to be adulterated but if they're clean pills there's no difference. You're right about the strength of pills always going up however.

Damn right its not true haha if anything i think i skag more on the MDMA than the pills, the MDMA also seems to make me drift off into me own little world more than pills.

Although i do take a fair amount of it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Skag?

• Advertisement

Do tell me more, hold on til I make a cup of cocoa.

Pills are pills. They're supposed to be MDMA. However the amount of MDMA (and the other nice stuff made incidentally in the production process) will vary wildly. There have been pills with little-to-no scag and some that if mixed with drink are the devil the next day.
    MDMA as far as I know, ahem, tends to be much, much cleaner and predictable. I know a few people who can use it as a hangover prevention such is its loveliness.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Skag?
    Horrible, awful comedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Definitely a sense of "back in my day" about raves, just look at the comments on any 90s dance tune on youtube! I think over the years they have definitely changed and evolved but there will always be something similar going on, even at the moment I'd say there is more stuff like this going on than some of the old schoolers might think.

Over time things have become so much more accessible and social media has played a big part too, if someone is at a party or a rave now someone will put it on social media and word will get out - slowly but surely in the following weeks more 'blow ins' will come in and the initial one will be a distant memory. If someone was organising a rave now they would have to be even more secretive than 20 years ago as it could so easily become public knowledge in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I was at one in 2001. or 03 or 05 :/

Probably one of the youngest if not the youngest person there. Converted horse lorries and ambulances going up the road to it for days. People found lost, staggering, dehydrated and bewildered in the hills for .. possibly weeks afterwards.

I think the last of the crusties/hippies are too old and sedate for it now and nobody has the will to start it up.

It's the thing of doing something different in that kind of location. Out in the middle of nowhere.

Wibbs wrote: »
    With others I may have helped organised a couple of "happenings" in my time way back in the day™ and M's take hits a bit close to the bone. :D Oh yeah and yippers for all. Dance/chew/hug/grind.

In a valley below a mountain?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

4mins in, the Detective Garda in the Drugs Squad. Driving around in a fur coat! Fooling no one!

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Skag?

The results of serotonin depletion following a night of heavy MDMA use combined with general malaise from dehydration and staying up all night dancing and chatting.

It can be quite severe but is generally easily avoided by taking decent sized breaks (a couple of months or so) between usages and not overdoing it when you do.

Furthermore there are certain vitamins/supplements you can take before, during and after use not only to potentiate your buzz but also to ablate the skag...Don't know why a lot more people don't do that!

Anyone know why it is that the pills wont work two nights in a row? Is it something to do with the seratonin depletion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Anyone know why it is that the pills wont work two nights in a row? Is it something to do with the seratonin depletion?

Say it's just the standard 'your body gets used to them'. It's crazy how much difference there is though from one night to the following.

Bingo. Your serotonin levels are more or less crashed after a night on it and take a few days at least to return to baseline. Ideally you really should be taking at least a months break after each use - MDMA is a very safe drug done properly but sustained usage over short periods can have deleterious effects on your memory and cause eventual desensitization of serotonin receptors i.e. it is physically more difficult for your brain to create feelings of happiness in response to the relevant stimuli.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,066 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A month? Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Furthermore there are certain vitamins/supplements you can take before, during and after use not only to potentiate your buzz but also to ablate the skag...Don't know why a lot more people don't do that!

Such as? Share the knowledge! :)

Stab*City wrote: »
    Such as? Share the knowledge! :)

Mkay so some of this proven and some anecdotal (can't hurt however):

The primary neurotoxic effect of MDMA results from oxidation in the brain - how to prevent this? Antioxidants. (All the following supplements etc are available at health food shops/online)

- Alpha Lipoic acid (ALA), is an important one. Take 300mg with your MDMA and then every couple of hours during your high.
    - Acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR), take 500mg ~3hrs prior to dropping, once during (say an hour after dropping)
    -Vitamin C, have 500mg about 3 hours prior and then every 3hrs during

Then the others:

- Magnesium glycinate (stops jaw clenching) take 200mg and then as required...(maybe bring a lollipop too just in case :P )
    - Grapefruit juice, yep it's a CYP450 (enzyme involved in drug metabolism) inhibitor, reduces the metabolism of MDMA to MDA in the brain thereby allowing for higher concentrations of MDMA to exert more effect. Drink a couple of glasses the day before and then a couple the day of.
    - Drink some water mixed with electrolytes e.g dioralyte or drink lucozade/Gatorade during to prevent dehydration and hyponatremia (which can actually be fatal to some during MDMA use, women in particular are at risk of this).
    - After you get home have some melatonin (5-9mg) it will help you get to sleep and is a precursor for serotonin production.

There are many others but I just outlined the main ones - it seems a bit of an effort granted, but I really would recommend trying it at least once. All my friends that have have never gone back. Better buzz, no skag at all - the opposite even, you'll be walking around with a lovely afterglow for a couple of days :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

The primary neurotoxic effect of MDMA results from oxidation in the brain - how to prevent this? Antioxidants. (All the following supplements etc are available at health food shops/online)

- Alpha Lipoic acid (ALA), is an important one. Take 300mg with your MDMA and then every couple of hours during your high.
    - Acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR), take 500mg ~3hrs prior to dropping, once during (say an hour after dropping)

Then the others:

- Magnesium glycinate (stops jaw clenching) take 200mg and then as required...(maybe bring a lollipop too just in case :P )
    - Grapefruit juice, yep it's a CYP450 (enzyme involved in drug metabolism) inhibitor, reduces the metabolism of MDMA to MDA in the brain thereby allowing for higher concentrations of MDMA to exert more effect. Drink a couple of glasses the day before and then a couple the day of.
    - Drink some water mixed with electrolytes e.g dioralyte or drink lucozade/Gatorade during to prevent dehydration and hyponatremia (which can actually be fatal to some during MDMA use, women in particular are at risk of this).
    - After you get home have some melatonin (5-9mg) it will help you get to sleep and is a precursor for serotonin production.

There are many others but I just outlined the main ones - it seems a bit of an effort granted, but I really would recommend trying it at least once. All my friends that have have never gone back. Better buzz, no skag at all - the opposite even, you'll be walking around with a lovely afterglow for a couple of days :).

Now that's some helpful sh*t!! Good man. Wish i knew this when it mattered to me personally but all good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Then the others:

higher concentrations of mdma? its not clear if this is advising to take a larger quantity(which is not a good idea) , grapefruit juice allows certain drugs to stay in the body longer, magnifying their effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Trust boards to turn a thread about raves into a chemistry class. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

- After you get home have some melatonin (5-9mg) it will help you get to sleep and is a precursor for serotonin productio.

.... or just buy a bag of cans on Sunday.

higher concentrations of mdma? its not clear if this is advising to take a larger quantity(which is not a good idea) , grapefruit juice allows certain drugs to stay in the body longer, magnifying their effect.

Yep, if less MDMA is being metabolised, the synaptic concentrations thereof will be higher by extension (than what they would have been without grapefruit juice).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Did you hear about the dyslexic raver .???..... He took an M .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Then the others:

You gotta start selling a pre-made box of all this stuff. You'll make a ton!

Lekrub wrote: »
    You gotta start selling a pre-made box of all this stuff. You'll make a ton!

*Files under "money-making schemes*

Haha believe it or not they already exist; think you've to order em online and they're meant to be fairly pricy.

If I could produce an all-in-one whacktastic anti skag pill, incorporating all if the above into a single tablet though...now that's where the cash would be...

*Puts on white coat*
    TO THE LABORATORY!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Lorelli! wrote: »
    What actually is a Rave? I think the school disco may have been the closest thing to a rave I've been too :D :pac: unless you count outdoor concerts!

I know everyone "hates" Maniac but that's what they played. I don't mind it :)

Maniac was not a rave/techno song, it was a shíte attempt at it and failed miserably probably because (a) it was utter shíte (b) McCabe is utter shíte (c) the rave scene had died by the time shíteface McCabe put together his shíte attempt at techno/rave music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Advertisement