Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raves

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I love raves and have never taken a yoke in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

I wish I was a few years older to have been around for those sessions:p

doubt i'd be here to brag about it though, because i'd probably have raved myself into an early grave:confused:

pgj2015 wrote: »

love chase&status
    love their new stuff too even if it's not to all their fans taste

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Lorelli! wrote: »
    So what is an example of the music played?

And if you heard this next one you knew it would be wrapping up soon and you would be stepping outside blinking into the glare of the morning as the rest of the world started out on their day and you were going home to try get some sleep. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I would have always associated raves more so with London and locations just off the M25 in the 1980's! There was even a band called Orbital because of it.

Indeed, a lot of people here talking about post rave era dance events that occurred in the early Irish dance music scene in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Strangely enough, although I was an avid explorer of the chemically altered state and came of age more or less at the start of the whole rave scene - I was never much of a fan of raves.
    I wouldn't be the biggest fan of techno music in general, I like some bits here and there, but hours on end of it I just find draining and repetitive - it rapidly gets to the point where I just loose the will to live!

For me ecstasy and drugs in general are far more enjoyable in a more intimate setting. I'd rather pop pills and talk shíte to a few friends at a house party than run around an industrial unit trying to find a bottle of water. I'd much rather do my lines off a sexy ladies ass in my nice clean bedroom than a dirty toilet cistern in a manky sweaty nightclub!

Cleanliness is next to godliness kids:D

I think the people who got the most out of the rave scene where the ones who approached it holistically and got off on the whole spiritual communion aspect of it. That shít never floated my boat, I was usually there for the drugs and the craic - the crowds and the largely shítty music were just the price to be paid.

Also - just copped the comment above - that is probably moreso what I'm talking about in fairness. I never went to a proper underground rave.

#Saynotodrugs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

I had a great time in the 90's at local shindig raves about the place. Love techno music. Still attend the odd rave a couple of weekends throughout the year nowadays, those modern days raves be on in my gaff as I stick on a few electronic music LP's and have a good few cups of tae while lounging on a couch. The modern day raves are the best ones

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Accompanied by a few regular, non disco, biscuits I pressume:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Accompanied by a few regular, non disco, biscuits I pressume:D

Coconut cream Twisty melon cakes!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Doniekp

K.Flyer wrote: »

And if you heard this next one you knew it would be wrapping up soon and you would be stepping outside blinking into the glare of the morning as the rest of the world started out on their day and you were going home to try get some sleep. :pac:

one or two of those tunes spark up some good memories....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah raves are still going on. Spoke to a Garda last year who had a rave appear out of nowhere in a field behind his house.

He didn't really want to bother the local station about it because it was so late and 2 lads in a squad car trying to break it up would be a nightmare. Plus he said he liked the music.

So he wandered over to have a chat to the guys on the "door" to find out what the story was.

Whole thing had been arranged on Facebook/Eventbrite. As a result, you had busses full of wealthy teenagers and expensive SUVs with parents dropping kids off at what they thought was an "official" event in some muddy field in the arsehole of nowhere. He said it was clear the kids were way in over their heads, expecting toilets and food and all that.

So he listened for a while and went home to bed. When it didn't end until 4:30am, he decided that the organisers needed an ASBO. He said that if they'd closed up by 3:30 he wouldn't have bothered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

seamus wrote: »
    Ah raves are still going on. Spoke to a Garda last year who had a rave appear out of nowhere in a field behind his house.

He didn't really want to bother the local station about it because it was so late and 2 lads in a squad car trying to break it up would be a nightmare. Plus he said he liked the music.

So he wandered over to have a chat to the guys on the "door" to find out what the story was.

Whole thing had been arranged on Facebook/Eventbrite. As a result, you had busses full of wealthy teenagers and expensive SUVs with parents dropping kids off at what they thought was an "official" event in some muddy field in the arsehole of nowhere. He said it was clear the kids were way in over their heads, expecting toilets and food and all that.

So he listened for a while and went home to bed. When it didn't end until 4:30am, he decided that the organisers needed an ASBO. He said that if they'd closed up by 3:30 he wouldn't have bothered :D

The legendary raves on Newquay beach in the UK became so yuppy that the rail companies offered special tickets from London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

nullzero wrote: »
    Events at which yokes are consumed in large quantities.

with plenty of bangers thrown in for good measure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Isn't it Jonathan Ross signalling hello to someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

love chase&status
    love their new stuff too even if it's not to all their fans taste

No more idols is a great album

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Spiral Tribe were great back in the day. English new age traveller types, did some good 'raves' up at the Hellfire club. Great music, best outdoors, feeling of unity, full on dancing, not posing but real dancing and seeing the sun come up.

Some of the best nights of my life were spent raving up at the hellfire club

Lorelli! wrote: »
    What actually is a Rave? I think the school disco may have been the closest thing to a rave I've been too :D :pac: unless you count outdoor concerts!

I know everyone "hates" Maniac but that's what they played. I don't mind it :)

Maniac had nothing whatsoever to do with raves.

Last one I was at was about 8 or 9 years ago. It was a proper weekend in a field in the middle of nowhere set up, but psy trance instead of techno or house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There were loads of small urban raves around dublin during the recession. In warehouses (Bluebell), an asian restaurant on Parnell St, an auto repair place off Amiens St. Some were Polish run, some Brazilian and some Irish.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

That's fake rave.

It's anti-rave. It's dance musics Livin Next Door To Alice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

We were a few years behind but I believe E was a great thing for the youth in this country

The following generation could do with a summer of it they seem so uptight with all their isms
    True that. Except "got any yokes" has been replaced with "lets take a selfie".
    Different times.

Lads you're well out of touch, drug use amongst young people is higher now than it's been for years
    Lifetime, last year, and last month usage of ecstasy has increased significantly since 2010, with last year usage increasing from 0.9% to 4.4% in that time
    In the 25-34 years age group, 22.7% of men have used ecstasy in their lifetime, compared with 10.4% of women
    One in four males aged between 15 and 24 reported using an illegal drug in the last year, compared with one in eight females in the same period
    link

And nowadays it's not so much about the rave, rather The Sesh, and you don't do yokes there, but Ket

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    No more idols is a great album

Yaaassss:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I went to a few raves in Kerry and Cork (techno music in fields with people taking yokes) in my late teens. Would have been around 2006-2008. Couldn’t be doing any of that kinda thing anymore. The thought of “the sesh” and taking ketamine now, eugh!

Surely these things still happen but not on same scale as the 90’s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I went to a few raves in Kerry and Cork (techno music in fields with people taking yokes) in my late teens. Would have been around 2006-2008. Surely these things still happen but not on same scale as the 90’s...

The good ole days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

northgirl wrote: »
    The good ole days
    Sir henrys had been doing it 10 yrs earlier :)

I'd travel from Dublin every august weekend for the session :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'd travel from Dublin every august weekend for the session :)

I’ve heard some great stories about sir Henry’s. Even my Mother asked if it was still there recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I’ve heard some great stories about sir Henry’s. Even my Mother asked if it was still there recently!

No. Long gone.

It was pretty epic. Completely different to nightclubs nowadays with VIP areas, glass walls, lounge areas. To be fair, most were back then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Greg and Shane (fish go deep) rocking it every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Where do people find these raves?

I've never been to one and wouldn't mind ticking it off the bucket list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

As someone who attended and often DJ'd at many illegal events (techno, acid techno, hard progressive house) from the mid 90s until mid 00s which would fit the description of 'raves' used by many in this thread, we would never have referred to these as raves, despite them takin place in marquees or isolated country houses or even in the open air, in the hills and countryside of various counties and having many of the other ingredients required.

To us a rave had a very specific meaning, was of a specific time and era and involved specific music and we knew that raves had come and gone before our time in the mid 90s. As a teenager I often cursed that I wasn't born ten years earlier, in the UK, so that I could have been there to experience the birth of the rave scene, at its purest

If this comes off as a bit 'you weren't there man!" ,well either was I!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

It was better in my day, grumble grumble grumble.

Couple of things I don't get about the (Irish) rave scene nostalgia

Being on pills doesn't automatically make people nice, seen enough fights between people yoked off there heads to know that's a myth-did the earlier scene just have a complete lack of scumbags (and if so why did they flock to the dance scene later)

Rave spiritualists/Goan trance heads/ new age hippies are generally really fcuking boring and full of nonsense-is it just people were mangled and young so didn't realize it.

Annoying farmers isn't a revolutionary act against society at least the 60's70's hippies misguided as they were seemed to have a more complete ethos going on.
    It all just sounds like the standard, everything was great in my youth thing particularly as I would imagine the proportion of young people doing stuff like ket and mdma or research chemicals is probably higher now than the early 90's and there is still semi-legal all nighters still happening anyway

Advertisement