Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sounds like tinkles paid you a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Lorelli! wrote:
    So what is an example of the music played?

Music want about just one track, or a series of tracks played in isolation. It was about how they are mixed and how the general style shifted through the night.
    Usually start slower and deep and sped up.
    It was all about the mixing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

We actually used to call it The Looney Line. Twas unreal. Like Mad Max but far happier! There was no residents living near the place- if it's the same place, it was totally in the middle of nowhere.

Turn off at the horse and jockey!
    Ah the good ol' days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Some years ago I received a letter from the Devon and Cornwall Constabulary claiming that a car with my registration was seen at an illegal rave in a forest in Devon.
    I phoned said constabulary and told them I had never been in their forest and my idea of a rave these days was to sit by the fire in me slippers and cardie with a cuppa and a digestive biscuit listening to Des O'Connor.
    I was laughingly eliminated from their investigation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Though one of my remembered faves of the time was from Utah Saints, sampling Kate Bush's* Cloudbusting;

The '08 version. For the kidz. Well, not really. Really not really, being a decade outa date and all.

Still, those fcukers can dance. Bloody hell. :eek:

Though every so often it might be suggested to throw in a curveball, as our Yank mates say and the DJ would play some oddball stuff. Best of which IMHO was the Beatles Tomorrow Never Knows.

Proto Chemical Brothers, all the way from 1966(laid down in 65)

*she had some cracking tunes in her time. A few touched the face of genius.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

My brother talked about a place and if I recall right, it was called "The Apartments" in Dublin. Not sure if it was a kip or good place to go to. Not even sure if my brother got to go to it or if it was the rave scene but just a memory I have that he mentioned it. Anyone remember that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,213 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I would have always associated raves more so with London and locations just off the M25 in the 1980's! There was even a band called Orbital because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Lorelli! wrote: »
    What actually is a Rave? I

It's the name of an event when ppl attend to get off their tits, commonly in an outdoor setting rather than an indoor one. Indoor events of the same kind were called 'parties'. I recall attending some of these events in the mid-nineties for research purposes. I judged that to get a meaningful feeling for what these parties were all about I would have to attend them 2 to 3 times a week over the course of a 10 year period, which I did.

A major conclusion I came to about the effects of attending such events in comparison to attending more standard nightclubs where alcohol is commonly consumed is that one's waistline doesn't expand as rapidly, probably due to the lack of calories present in water which is the beverage of choice at raves.

I also found for some reason in the days following attending a rave or party I noticed ppl would 'follow' me around the place and random ppl would stare at me for no reason and talk about me behind my back wherever I went, on the street, in supermarkets, everywhere. I never figured out why this was, it was as if someone put a sticker on my back that stated "I spent 12 hours at a party and didn't pull".

I'm kinda glad the whole scene is not as available as it used to be because I don't look as gaunt as I used too even if I have put on a few pounds, although I kinda miss being the centre of attention wherever I went.

Wibbs wrote: »

Though every so often it might be suggested to throw in a curveball, as our Yank mates say and the DJ would play some oddball stuff. Best of which IMHO was the Beatles Tomorrow Never Knows.

Proto Chemical Brothers, all the way from 1966(laid down in 65)

*she had some cracking tunes in her time. A few touched the face of genius.

I only recognized that Beatles connection a while ago and played it in the tunes thread recently :) Don't think I'd have spotted the Kate Bush sample even though I know that song!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would have always associated raves more so with London and locations just off the M25 in the 1980's! There was even a band called Orbital because of it.

We were a few years behind but I believe E was a great thing for the youth in this country

The following generation could do with a summer of it they seem so uptight with all their isms

• Advertisement

The next generation could do with a summer of it they seem so uptight with all their isms

True that. Except "got any yokes" has been replaced with "lets take a selfie".
    Different times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I only recognized that Beatles connection a while ago and played it in the tunes thread recently :)
    You know it makes sense. :)
    Don't think I'd have spotted the Kate Bush sample even though I know that song!

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

True that. Except "got any yokes" has been replaced with "lets take a selfie".
    Different times.
    Different times and just as much of a buzz for those into it at the time. Like any vibe that hits in a generation. Is one better than the other? Not really. It's all about which one is yours.

Oh I knew the Kate Bush song not the other one that sampled it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I doubt anybody (under the age of 35) would even use the word Rave now :D
    My brother talked about a place and if I recall right, it was called "The Apartments" in Dubin. Not sure if it was a kip or good place to go to. Not even sure if my brother got to go to it or if it was the rave scene but just a memory I have that he mentioned it. Anyone remember that?

It was just off Fleet Street and was a standard teen disco place, at least in my day anyway.

In the late 80s to mid 90s, the dance clubs in Dublin would have been McGonagles (early acid house nights like Voodoo around 88-89 and later a rave club called System), Asylum, Sides, Olympic Ballroom, Columbia Mills, Temple of Sound etc.

Never went to open air ones (not in Ireland anyway) but you'd get ones put on in places like derelict buildings, of which there was a lot more then. Remember some good all nighters in squatted old buildings around Benburb Street which are gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Wibbs wrote:
    Different times and just as much of a buzz for those into it at the time. Like any vibe that hits in a generation. Is one better than the other? Not really. It's all about which one is yours.
    Not 100% sure about that with respect selfie culture.

A group of girls at a table near us for over an hour one night and they were definitely kind of quiet, not having a great night, small chat amongst themselves. Which is fine. And normal. Couple of times though they did the selfie thing and pulled fake smiles and thumbs up for the camera before shrinking back in to themselves again.

That's a broader discussion but I agree in general each generation thinks there's was the best. My mother still talks about my father dancing on a table at an Irish music session in the early 70's.

I doubt anybody (under the age of 35) would even use the word Rave now :D.

34 :( just missed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

The following generation could do with a summer of it they seem so uptight with all their isms

They're all into horse tranquilizers now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I doubt anybody (under the age of 35) would even use the word Rave now :D

It was just off Fleet Street and was a standard teen disco place, at least in my day anyway.

In the late 80s to mid 90s, the dance clubs in Dublin would have been McGonagles (early acid house nights like Voodoo around 88-89 and later a rave club called System), Asylum, Sides, Olympic Ballroom, Columbia Mills, Temple of Sound etc.

Never went to open air ones (not in Ireland anyway) but you'd get ones put on in places like derelict buildings, of which there was a lot more then. Remember some good all nighters in squatted old buildings around Benburb Street which are gone now.

Columbia Mills was some kip of a spot, great times in there though.

Speaking of the Asylum......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What is this generations vibe Wibbs?

I have a teenage daughter and all she does is look at a phone

No rebelling at all

Part of me is happy she is giving me none of the terrible carry on I gave my parents

The other part of me is saddened at the way technology is leaving them in a coma like state

What is this generations vibe Wibbs?

I have a teenage daughter and all she does is look at a phone

No rebelling at all

Part of me is happy she is giving me none of the terrible carry on I gave my parents

The other part of me is saddened at the way technology is leaving them in a coma like state
    Yeah, I get that S. I have argued elsewhere that the "counterculture" is largely missing from current times. Where once it was a fixture of adolescence since the 50's(and before). Maybe it's because of two(at least) things: People in that age group today have way more choices and have way more pressures on top. That's a sh1tstorm of "choices" to make. And because of social media of all sorts, these are choices that could haunt them for life.

Rebelling is easy enough. When it's not forever and can't fcuk up your life and "kids" now that all too well. Their parents may lament the loss the old rebellion, but they have to deal with it.

Mostly they're trying to keep apace with getting on in the world and that's hard enough without thedropping out and tuning in stuff. So called "millennials" get bloody awful stick from all corners, but they're just our younger selves trying to navigate an increasingly difficult, even hostile, but defo divisive world, that older folks, though we/they had their trials, didn't need to deal with to nearly the same degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

We were a few years behind but I believe E was a great thing for the youth in this country

Probably did as much in ending the violence in Nothern Ireland as any political intervention.

Yeah, I get that S. I have argued elsewhere that the "counterculture" is largely missing from current times. Where once it was a fixture of adolescence since the 50's(and before). Maybe it's because of two(at least) things: People in that age group today have way more choices and have way more pressures on top. That's a sh1tstorm of "choices" to make. And because of social media of all sorts, these are choices that could haunt them for life.

Getting away from the op but I completely agree with this. There is too much choice! While I think choice has its good points, you only have to look at TV as an example. I wouldn't have chose to watch Countdown or 15 to 1 with my Dad but we watched those together and I enjoyed it. It's become boring because there's too much choice and "nothing to watch" even though theres a gazillIon channels! I think TV use to be an enjoyable social thing for the family unit but now it's each person chooses their own stuff and a lot watch it in isolation :/

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I went to a few in co cork mid 90's. Think the last one would have been 97. You'd always hear of them through word of mouth, one got raided by the guards despite the amount of secrecy around the location etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

pgj2015 wrote: »

I would definitely need drugs to enjoy that song.

And even then I might struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Arghus wrote: »
    I would definitely need drugs to enjoy that song.

And even then I might struggle.

Great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

A rave is when we used to hold private parties in vacant buildings with door staff and little bars selling water and gum and fizzy drinks and bud and bulmers and e
    I miss the 90’s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sweat in sir henrys cork.

Advertisement