Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

You'll run into absolute total c**nts no matter where you go. A few weeks ago I saw 'parents' boxing the heads off each other outside a primary school as they collected their kids.

As for people being full of nonsense at these things, well that was part of the course so that's why it made sense for me to go to the loudest rig and dance right beside the loudest section. I wasn't going to these things to chat to anyone about anything.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Loved raves. Loved the music, the people, the atmosphere, the dancing, the madness. You're never too old or need drugs to enjoy them either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I remember we went to a few out in a quarry in Ballymore Eustace, back in 03/04. A feeder bus used to leave Tripod, or what ever it was called back then, packed with people looking to keep the party going. Never a bit of trouble at it. All dispersed by 6-8 the next morning. Good times indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

raves happening still every weekend here in Dublin, i was at one two weeks ago in ballycoolin in a warehouse. Plenty of action in the city centre too, old tenement building on blessington street has some serious raves on, mostly bank holiday weekends in that spot though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

this just popped up in my youtube suggested list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭pgj2015

thebull85 wrote: »
    raves happening still every weekend here in Dublin, i was at one two weeks ago in ballycoolin in a warehouse. Plenty of action in the city centre too, old tenement building on blessington street has some serious raves on, mostly bank holiday weekends in that spot though.

how do you find out where and when they are on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

pgj2015 wrote: »

If you go to any of the dance gigs in town you should get wind of it no problem.. One night after Hangar we were invited to the one in ballycoolin. They are widespread, another couple guys i know were running one off the kylemore road but it was red hot, didnt last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been to a few. The Creation raves in Devils's glen were amazing. Never made it to the ones at Donabate but they looked mad

Was at some in warehouses up past oconnel street about 7 years ago - they even flew in international djs to play at them.

Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Being on pills doesn't automatically make people nice, seen enough fights between people yoked off there heads to know that's a myth-did the earlier scene just have a complete lack of scumbags (and if so why did they flock to the dance scene later)

No the one and only difference between late 80's early 90's were the yokes. For a period there from 88/89-92/93 and maybe a bit later there was certain types of E that really did change scumbags into friends. Although when people came down the following few days it was business as usual. These pills (Snowballs, Mad Bastards, Rhubarb&Custard, The first White doves, Dennis the Menaces etc) were totally different to what came later. It really was a love buzz. I mean there will always be some who are just pure scum but trust me i seen enemies turn into friends over night after a snowball. And they simply don't make E like that anymore or even after 94-95. Some people say the doves of the mid-late 90's were similar and they were but were not a patch on what came before them.
    It all just sounds like the standard, everything was great in my youth thing particularly as I would imagine the proportion of young people doing stuff like ket and mdma or research chemicals is probably higher now than the early 90's and there is still semi-legal all nighters still happening anyway

Yes but the big difference back then was the emergence of Dance Music. It was like nothing heard before and that mixed with the love buzz created a vibe that was magical. Right place right time comes to mind. Im sure the original summer of love was similar but ours was more full on and alot stronger.

I went to my first rave back in those days, from there i started djing, since i have become involved in the scene heavily. I gave up drugs and drink years ago but my last rave was a couple months back (although these days they are in much trendier surroundings) I cant remember a thing from 90-2008 but i can remember everything since. These days i enjoy the clubs/events for the music as opposed to the buzz. Its different but still enjoyable.

Sir Henrys, Theatre Royal, Prodigy in the point 1992, Club UK, Fantasia, Tribal Gathering Uk, Creamfields, The System, The Asylum, Sex Kitchen, La Locomotive Paris, My Gaff all to name but a few. I loved every minute.

By the way the E was so good that if you handed me an original snowball right now id drop it right here at my corporate desk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

this just popped up in my youtube suggested list

The good auld days, whatever happened John power?

Stab*City wrote: »
    No the one and only difference between late 80's early 90's were the yokes. For a period there from 88/89-92/93 and maybe a bit later there was certain types of E that really did change scumbags into friends. Although when people came down the following few days it was business as usual. These pills (Snowballs, Mad Bastards, Rhubarb&Custard, The first White doves, Dennis the Menaces etc) were totally different to what came later. It really was a love buzz. I mean there will always be some who are just pure scum but trust me i seen enemies turn into friends over night after a snowball. And they simply don't make E like that anymore or even after 94-95. Some people say the doves of the mid-late 90's were similar and they were but were not a patch on what came before them.

Yes but the big difference back then was the emergence of Dance Music. It was like nothing heard before and that mixed with the love buzz created a vibe that was magical. Right place right time comes to mind. Im sure the original summer of love was similar but ours was more full on and alot stronger.

I went to my first rave back in those days, from there i started djing, since i have become involved in the scene heavily. I gave up drugs and drink years ago but my last rave was a couple months back (although these days they are in much trendier surroundings) I cant remember a thing from 90-2008 but i can remember everything since. These days i enjoy the clubs/events for the music as opposed to the buzz. Its different but still enjoyable.

Sir Henrys, Theatre Royal, Prodigy in the point 1992, Club UK, Fantasia, Tribal Gathering Uk, Creamfields, The System, The Asylum, Sex Kitchen, La Locomotive Paris, My Gaff all to name but a few. I loved every minute.

By the way the E was so good that if you handed me an original snowball right now id drop it right here at my corporate desk.

You don't remember a thing from 90-2008, but you loved every minute.

I don't get that?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    You don't remember a thing from 90-2008, but you loved every minute.

I don't get that?

I dont remember the peoples names, the tunes that were played, the places i kipped in, what time i went to sleep, half the chicks i ended up with. But man ill never forget that rush.

2001-2008 was my time (i know a lot of you will say it was all over by then) The ecstasy was still good, clubbing in dublin was very good big names every week in the likes of the Redbox, the Vaults, Traffic the temple theatre amd spirit among others.

Festivals like HiFi in mullingar, global gathering in Cork even the dance acts at oxegen were top notch.

I miss them days so much, you could be out for 3 days and not have a worry in your mind.

Towards the end of that era i did notice more and more violence at these events probably because of the coke.

2001-2008 was my time (i know a lot of you will say it was all over by then) The ecstasy was still good, clubbing in dublin was very good big names every week in the likes of the Redbox, the Vaults, Traffic the temple theatre amd spirit among others.

Great years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Go to the right clubs in town and they might even be selling wrist bands for the after parties which start when the clubs close and usually go on til about 6/7am. They can be in all sorts of mad places, one I was at was in a Chinese restaurant which we had to enter through the kitchen.

jiltloop wrote: »
    Go to the right clubs in town and they might even be selling wrist bands for the after parties which start when the clubs close and usually go on til about 6/7am. They can be in all sorts of mad places, one I was at was in a Chinese restaurant which we had to enter through the kitchen.

sounds good. what clubs do you usually get the wrist bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I went to an Acid House Party once. I was locked. I drank three car batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

#shades

the likes of Hangar, Sin, opium rooms. Just check out online wherever theres a dance night on. Usually outside at the end of the night, if its happening youll see people buying wristbands.

Anyone here ever go to a place on eden quay, used to be called garden of eden it was a strip club, but every saturday morning theyd open downstairs entering in through the lane. Some fkn crazy mornings in that place. Dj on playing house and techno and everyone out of their minds.

good times.

the likes of Hangar, Sin, opium rooms. Just check out online wherever theres a dance night on. Usually outside at the end of the night, if its happening youll see people buying wristbands.

Anyone here ever go to a place on eden quay, used to be called garden of eden it was a strip club, but every saturday morning theyd open downstairs entering in through the lane. Some fkn crazy mornings in that place. Dj on playing house and techno and everyone out of their minds.

good times.

opium rooms was rubbish last time I was there a few months ago, a friday night. it just seemed like every other mainstream night club, crap music.

opium rooms was rubbish last time I was there a few months ago, a friday night. it just seemed like every other mainstream night club, crap music.

the regular nights are garbage, but they have the odd dance night up there its decent venue for it.

Have you been to District8 ?
    Havent ventured up there yet, Chris Liebing is on up there in a couple of weeks.

the regular nights are garbage, but they have the odd dance night up there its decent venue for it.

Havent ventured up there yet, Chris Liebing is on up there in a couple of weeks.

so opium rooms isn't totally finished so, thats good. district 8 have good djs but average seems to be 18 so i wont be going there. index is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

D8 is a very cool spot if you're into the scene - I'll echo another poster however in that the crowd's been a bit young the last couple of time's I've gone. Suppose it depends on who's on.

In general I'll disagree with a lot of what's been said of the current state of the scene - I'm 23 and all I'll say is ecstasy use is exploding in the youth bracket. People I know that generally wouldn't have been seen even touching a joint are now double dropping three days in a row at the likes of Electric picnic.

This is where the problems start - drug education in this country amounts to "don't do that you'll die"; and just like preaching abstinence as the only option in sex ed classes people overwhelmingly ignore it.
    Problem is nobody has a clue about harm reduction; I'm a pharmacologist so I'd know better than most at my age but honestly the amount of disinformation going around is staggering.
    MDMA is a very safe drug if used correctly and can be an absolutely incredible experience...life changing I'd say even - but in my experience almost nobody knows how to treat it with the proper respect. Routinely hear of people (generally in the context of festivals) ingesting dangerous amounts and often in tandem with ketamine, drink and cocaine (which the eejits don't realise actually physically stops the MDMA high).

It baffles me that people ever take drugs without having researching them thoroughly beforehand but it'd be naive of me to expect the youth at large to behave in a reasonably responsible manner. I'd advocate including harm reduction classes as part of the SPHE curriculum for the seniour cycle but of course there'd be war from the small minded folk who'd see it as condoning use of "dangerous" drugs which they invariably know nothing about and have never tried while they drink their glass of wine oblivious to the irony.

What these people don't realise is that people are going to do the drugs anyway - it's the ignorance of proper usage that makes many of them dangerous in the first place. Near to 100% of deaths from "MDMA" for example would be entirely avoidable if people knew about the importance of testing your stuff, taking breaks from dancing to prevent overheating etc etc.

For those of you interested in learning about harm reduction wrt ectasy use: https://rollsafe.org

Never stop dancing the night away folks, but be safe.

I don't see how any chemically produced drug could be described as safe when you've no idea what's gone in to it.

How is someone in a club supposed to get their pills tested before they pop them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't see how any chemically produced drug could be described as safe when you've no idea what's gone in to it.

How is someone in a club supposed to get their pills tested before they pop them?

My Dad lived in Amsterdam in the 80’s and said that there would be stands at raves/gigs/clubs where you could get your pills tested. Unfortunately something like that would never happen here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Paracetamol is "chemically produced", could you tell me what goes into that? I doubt it.

I'm being facetious obviously, I understand what you're saying - in answer to your question, reagent testing kits are cheap and widely available online from a number of various sources.
    https://www.reagent-tests.uk/product/mdma-reagent-test-kit/

You scrape off a tiny bit of your pill/powder and add the relevant reagent which undergo a chemical reaction to change colour based on the chemical structures of what is present. If adulterants e.g. PMA are present this will be revealed by a different colour change.

So ideally you'd be getting your stuff and testing it beforehand as opposed to buying off some randomer in the club. If that isn't feasible they have disposable one-use kits that are dead easy to use and come in a small vial which you could bring to the club to test in there.

It's obviously not realistic to expect everybody to be doing this but if even ~20% of people were doing it you'd see a big drop off in dangerous additives; as soon as a dealer is outed by 1 person as selling adulterated pills they'll lose all of their business (and would more than likely have some not-too-happy previous customers seeking a word).

Finally it is becoming more common in the Netherlands and UK for organisers of events/clubs to provide facilities to test people's drugs for them.
    I think it's just being mature and recognising that their patrons are going to be doing the drugs anyway and this improves the safety of that.
    https://www.shortlist.com/news/drug-testing-uk-cities/345294
    (A death in their club looks a lot worse to my eye anyway).

• Advertisement

D8 is a very cool spot if you're into the scene - I'll echo another poster however in that the crowd's been a bit young the last couple of time's I've gone. Suppose it depends on who's on.

In general I'll disagree with a lot of what's been said of the current state of the scene - I'm 23 and all I'll say is ecstasy use is exploding in the youth bracket. People I know that generally wouldn't have been seen even touching a joint are now double dropping three days in a row at the likes of Electric picnic.

This is where the problems start - drug education in this country amounts to "don't do that you'll die"; and just like preaching abstinence as the only option in sex ed classes people overwhelmingly ignore it.
    Problem is nobody has a clue about harm reduction; I'm a pharmacologist so I'd know better than most at my age but honestly the amount of disinformation going around is staggering.
    MDMA is a very safe drug if used correctly and can be an absolutely incredible experience...life changing I'd say even - but in my experience almost nobody knows how to treat it with the proper respect. Routinely hear of people (generally in the context of festivals) ingesting dangerous amounts and often in tandem with ketamine, drink and cocaine (which the eejits don't realise actually physically stops the MDMA high).

It baffles me that people ever take drugs without having researching them thoroughly beforehand but it'd be naive of me to expect the youth at large to behave in a reasonably responsible manner. I'd advocate including harm reduction classes as part of the SPHE curriculum for the seniour cycle but of course there'd be war from the small minded folk who'd see it as condoning use of "dangerous" drugs which they invariably know nothing about and have never tried while they drink their glass of wine oblivious to the irony.

What these people don't realise is that people are going to do the drugs anyway - it's the ignorance of proper usage that makes many of them dangerous in the first place. Near to 100% of deaths from "MDMA" for example would be entirely avoidable if people knew about the importance of testing your stuff, taking breaks from dancing to prevent overheating etc etc.

For those of you interested in learning about harm reduction wrt ectasy use: https://rollsafe.org

Never stop dancing the night away folks, but be safe.

All fairly true really, I've had stuff tested at clubs before and it showed up as not what it was meant to be. Did i care? F**k no! At the end of the day i was there to get wreaked and have a good night not have a chemistry lesson. Looking back now i probably shouldn't have taken half the stuff i did. I'd imagine a high percentage of the stuff was not 100% what it was sold as.

Advertisement