Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rampage weighed in at 253 today.

How in the name of christ does he make 205?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

He doesn't anymore. He hasn't fought at light heavyweight since 2014, he's too old to be cutting so much weight and I don't think he even cares that much anymore about fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He also had a thyroid problem that got progressively worse and caused him to gain more weight. But for someone coming in at 253, he looks in excellent shape, and much better than his last fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

cliggg wrote: »
    He doesn't anymore. He hasn't fought at light heavyweight since 2014, he's too old to be cutting so much weight and I don't think he even cares that much anymore about fighting

Definitely was the case for some previous fights, but he actually looks motivated now, he's working with Bobby Rimmer, Ricky Hatton's old coach, and wants to cement his legacy a bit.

He used to openly say he was just fighting for money, but that has changed a bit for this fight. Haven't seen him this bothered about fighting since he fought Jones. Still not sure if his knees will hold out, but he's certainly in better shape than Sonnen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How did Rory Mc get on last night?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you want to discuss an event from last night do it in the thread for that event! No one wants spoilers the next day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

In fairness anyone trying to avoid the results would not be looking up an mma forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

In fairness anyone trying to avoid the results would not be looking up an mma forum

In fairness anyone wanting to know the result of a fight would google it and have the answer in 5 seconds rather than ask a question on a forum and potentially wait hours for someone to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Jesus. Poor bobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I was disappointed when the fight with Rockhold was called off but when I saw Rockhold talk about it I figured it was serious. Robert for me was the Middleweight champ the last year beating Jacare & Romero. He'd have absolutely smashed GSP too.
    Hopefully they caught it fast enough for him & he can recover. Just turned 27 so he's age on his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Why is staph such a common ailment for elite MMA fighters? You hear about it so comparatively often with MMA fighters to any other sport.

Why is staph such a common ailment for elite MMA fighters? You hear about it so comparatively often with MMA fighters to any other sport.

Because they're spending hours per day rolling around with other sweaty men and women in sweaty rooms. It's a perfect environment for Staph and MRSA's to breed in. They're also getting cuts and abrasions regularly from striking and friction while rolling, which means if any nasties are about they have quick access to your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Would it be similarly common in collegiate wrestling or BJJ?

Would it be similarly common in collegiate wrestling or BJJ?

yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Wrestling (including all common grappling styles in MMA, Brazilian jiu jitsu, etc.) gyms are the perfect breeding grounds, and thus, they are ground zero. These facilities are usually kept very warm, have sweaty mats from intense training, and by definition, require close sustained bodily contact. In this setting, a scrape, pimple or simple hair bump can go bad very quickly.

link

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's caused by bacteria that live on our the skin.
    Sweaty environment, skin to skin contact, and small cuts and scrapes make it easy to pick up infection.
    It's common in jiu jitsu and wrestling too, but you'll only hear about it if you follow them specifically I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just looking through some of the upcoming cards.

Man, there’s very little of intrigue between now and 223 in April. Even the 221 and 222 PPV’s are very meh, while some of the Fight Nights are laughably poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Outside of the title fights the most exciting thing on the next 2 cards is whether Dern will make weight or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The UFC is in a very precarious position at the moment in general, IMO.

For example – bantamweight champ wants to fight the flyweight champ – two divisions on hold

Featherweight champ – one of their only solid champs

Lightweight – Two undisputed champions. Maybe McGregor and the winner of Khabib/Ferguson can fight in a ladder match to determine the real intercontinental champion ie Razor Ramon vs HBK at Wrestlemania

Welterweight – The champ is injured and hates the UFC

Middleweight – GSP was the champ, interim champ Whittaker promoted to real champ, real champ injured so another interim champ to be created

Lightheavyweight – The champ got sparked 6 months ago and fought a guy on Saturday night that was a nobody 12 months ago. Only one challenger in the division for him, Gustaffson, and after that they’re venturing into the likes of Jimi Manuwa again

Heavyweight – another solid champ but who’s he going to fight next? Werdum again? Zzz

Have the UFC made any ‘stars’ in the last 3 years? I can’t think of any. Ngannou had the makings of one but got destroyed the other night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It’s pretty crazy to say, but as things stand I dare say CM Punk may be their best chance at pulling a big draw all things considered. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Im buzzing for the holloway vs edgar fight at ufc 221. But the fight night cards are shocking the next few months. Would be best if they cut down on so many cards.

Poierer vs gaethje is suppose to headline the chicago fox card in late april which will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The messy bit is when the UFC try to push potential stars which is a huge conflict of interest. I know they are a business but look how many disgruntled employees they have at the moment. Stipe hates the UFC. He says he doesn't care that they don't respect him but he has such a pissed off look everytime it comes up. I just don't know why UFC are running with it. Baddest man on the planet, fireman, American patriot (sounds like it anyway). UFC should have his face plastered on buildings, instead they build up a guy with a punchers chance in the hopes a superstar is born.

Really, Dana is not looking well lately, he sounds sick of the whole thing between champs would won't fight, champs who complain about the UFC, non champs who want to be paid like champs, etc.

Last year, Dana said he can't wait to show us what they have planned in 2018. He could have mentioned done plans at the 25th anniversary presser instead of everyone talking about if Conor is even a champ anymore.

UFC need to step back and let the stars naturally unfold but I understand they need money ASAP to make up for the price in the first place.

Tldr:
    Fertita's are laughing their asses off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Paully D wrote: »
    It’s pretty crazy to say, but as things stand I dare say CM Punk may be their best chance at pulling a big draw all things considered. :eek:

No doubt about it, Dana was quoted yesterday saying a fight is in the works for him. He was largely responsible for a 450,000 buy rate in his first showing so they are desperately hoping for similar numbers again i'd say.

On the subject of poor cards, the co main for Edgar v Holloway is Arlovski vs Struve..... Very, very weak

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

dulux99 wrote: »
    On the subject of poor cards, the co main for Edgar v Holloway is Arlovski vs Struve..... Very, very weak

I’ve seen worse tbh. Arlovski has a lot of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Arlovski has a lot of fans.

The doctors that get paid to look after him when he gets KO'd?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    dulux99 wrote: »

I’ve seen worse tbh. Arlovski has a lot of fans.
    He might have a few fans but he's also lost 5 of his last 6 fights, 4 of which by KO. It speaks to my point earlier in the thread - the fact that the UFC are resorting to Andrei Arlovski to co-headline a PPV in 2018 is pretty shambolic. Arlovski was in pomp in about 2005 - 13 feckin years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

221 and 222 don't look like the best cards tbh. Injury plays a role. But excited for Max v Frankie.
    223 will be good. Khabib v Tony. Ride v JJ
    Nothing announced for 224 or 225

I assume they'll go big for 226. My guess is;
    Might Mouse v Dilashsw at 125, and
    Cyborg v Nunes at 145

But champ v champ takes two divisions out. Which doesn't leave much for 224/225. Woodley has to be on one of them. Only other availible fight is women's 125, not headlining. So will probably see DC or Stipe fight in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Mellor wrote: »
    221 and 222 don't look like the best cards tbh. Injury plays a role. But excited for Max v Frankie.
    223 will be good. Khabib v Tony. Ride v JJ
    Nothing announced for 224 or 225

I assume they'll go big for 226. My guess is;
    Might Mouse v Dilashsw at 125, and
    Cyborg v Nunes at 145

But champ v champ takes two divisions out. Which doesn't leave much for 224/225. Woodley has to be on one of them. Only other availible fight is women's 125, not headlining. So will probably see DC or Stipe fight in June.

Have dates and venues been confirmed fro 224 or 225 yet? is 224 brazil ?

I see 229 and 232 are the vegas in Oct and Dec.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement