Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Lukker- wrote: »
    He was promised one, and he made them stick to their word? So what, more fighters should have a backbone.

His title run including Lawler saw him fight at UFC 201, 205, 209 and 214. More or less every four months. He would have fought more recently had their been an actual challenger.
    That run you call is 2 fights in 2016 and 2 in 2017 hardly the most active.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Beersmith wrote: »

to be fair that is 4 fights between 31/7/16 to 29/7/17

can't argue with that and I can't remember too many champs having 3 title defences within a 9 month period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Beersmith wrote: »

It was 4 fights in 12 months before he tore his labrum in the first round of the 4th fight and had surgery and rehab.

Before the Lawler fight he "sat out" because at first nobody would fight him and then they made his fight with Big Rig a "winner gets a title fight" contest, and Woodley made them promise that if Hendricks didn't make weight he (woodley) would still get a crack at the belt.
    Hendricks missed weight spectacularly, and then the UFC did what they always do and ****ed him over and booked Robbie vs Condit. They tried to book Tyron to fight someone else but he rightly told them to go and jump, he was promised a title fight.

He then went out and took Lawler's soul in less than half a round 6 months later. Then he defended his title 3 times, making it 4 fights in 12 months almost to the day.

Since July he's been injured, in rehab and there hasn't been a clear contender. Wonderboy is still #1 contender but he's already failed twice so he goes to the back of the queue, RDA's on a come up but only relatively recently, Covington is just a hypebeast and doesn't deserve a shot yet.

Right now the only really clear contender is RDA, who just fought a 5 round war a months ago. Byt the time he's ready to go again so will Woodley.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Danaher sounds like a serial killer, and comes across as a narcissist at times. But from a grappling perspective he is phenomenal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

We’ll never see Conor fight in the UFC again if/when he gets stripped IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Paully D wrote: »
    We’ll never see Conor fight in the UFC again if/when he gets stripped IMO.

That's definitely possible, he could be pissed.

On the other hand Dana could be selling it to him by saying "think of the publicity and how big the comeback fight would be".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That's definitely possible, he could be pissed.

On the other hand Dana could be selling it to him by saying "think of the publicity and how big the comeback fight would be".

I just don’t think he has the motivation any more if he gets stripped nor will he have the willingness to do anything to help the UFC going forward.

He’s set for life now financially and in terms of his legacy will always be able to claim that he never legitimately lost his belts which will get heightened as the years go on.

If he came back there’s a very strong possibility he would lose to Khabib or Tony.

Maybe he’ll box again to keep the competitive juices ticking over as he has nothing to lose there, but I reckon that’s it for Conor in the UFC now.

He did what he said he was wanting to do - he got in, he got rich, he got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lads at the end of the day I love seeing him fight, the buzz is unreal on fight night. Id love to see him defend any sort of belt also, but I couldnt blame him if the sparks gone. Hes now pretty set, has had a child etc that changes your outlook now, why should he want to get hit in the head some more and risk some more cte. Get in, get rich, get out as paully said above.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads I know its news but you are fully aware there is a whole thread dedicated to talking about McGregor, there is no need to have the conversation flowing over here when it directly involves him. Keep it to the other thread.

Khabib has been flown back to the US and will be at the fights Saturday night. Expect an announcement at the press conference lads, they're not flying him back from Dagestan two weeks after his last fight so he can shake babies and kiss hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thats great news. Conor vs the winner in the summer so.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone know where Tony will be this weekend? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Anyone know where Tony will be this weekend? :)

Racing speed boats

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Khabib has been flown back to the US and will be at the fights Saturday night. Expect an announcement at the press conference lads, they're not flying him back from Dagestan two weeks after his last fight so he can shake babies and kiss hands.

While I also think we'll get an announcement this weekend, Khabib is cornering one of fighters on the undercard and is a teammate of DC so I wouldn't be guaranteeing it based on his presence there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Racing speed boats

wa hey!

Racing speed boats

Had to Google that, fair play Tony :)

Can't put it any better than Mike says himself about not wanting to fight Vitor in London "I don't want to be remembered as a dickhead, he will bring that side out of me" :)

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/17/16900154/morning-report-michael-bisping-no-vitor-belfort-bout-i-dont-want-to-be-remembered-for-being-a-d-ck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Can't put it any better than Mike says himself about not wanting to fight Vitor in London "I don't want to be remembered as a dickhead, he will bring that side out of me" :)

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/17/16900154/morning-report-michael-bisping-no-vitor-belfort-bout-i-dont-want-to-be-remembered-for-being-a-d-ck

Dead right, good stuff from Bisping calling out the drug cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

So Tony v Khabib has been confirmed

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comment..._that_tony_vs/

Interview just happened on Toucher and Rich on 98.5 The Sports Hub. They usually post clips of their interviews fairly quickly, so it can be found here once posted - https://tunein.com/radio/Toucher--Rich-p120067/

If you select the Dana White interview in the above link, it can be found at 23:40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Time to get hyped again https://vimeo.com/206672563

• Advertisement

The Eagle has landed. even the mac life is pimping Khabib now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Joanna vs. Rose rematch is in the works for 223 too. Could be 2 cracking fights if they both happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

cliggg wrote: »
    Joanna vs. Rose rematch is in the works for 223 too. Could be 2 cracking fights if they both happen.

That'll be a tense fight.

I'd be gutted if Rose just got lucky the first time and that hateful bitch Joanna gets the belt back.

On the other hand I'd be absolutely delighted if Rose smashed her again!

Joanna by war.

Rose to wreck Joanna again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Actually whatever about Joanna being a dick I was quite impressed how she handled herself after the loss.
    Respect.

Unlike someone else. ie Rousey.
    Now she got what she deserved and didn’t like it one bit :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Just saw a bit of Rory Macdonalds media scrum leading up to his fight this weekend, he is clearly raging that his fight got demoted to Co main event in place of rampage v sonnen. Hopefully he has his three or four fights in bellator and ufc stop being such pricks and bring the man back. So many good fights for him in the ufc.

Whenever I see Woodley fight, rightly or wrongly, all I can picture is the whooping that Rory put on him.

Link to the clip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

dulux99 wrote: »
    Just saw a bit of Rory Macdonalds media scrum leading up to his fight this weekend, he is clearly raging that his fight got demoted to Co main event in place of rampage v sonnen. Hopefully he has his three or four fights in bellator and ufc stop being such pricks and bring the man back. So many good fights for him in the ufc.

Whenever I see Woodley fight, rightly or wrongly, all I can picture is the whooping that Rory put on him.

Link to the clip https://www.instagram.com/p/BeEQdnKn4mf/

why is it such a big thing? fan wise i understand title fight always last but for a fighter its turn up fight regardless your last or first no difference, why do you get an extra corner man in the main event? i cant understand that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

but1er wrote: »
    why is it such a big thing? fan wise i understand title fight always last but for a fighter its turn up fight regardless your last or first no difference, why do you get an extra corner man in the main event? i cant understand that

I can only assume it's a respect issue. Rory Mac is one of the best welterweights on earth fighting for a "world" title and they're playing second fiddle to two complete and utter has-beens. To me it looks like bellator are saying they value these old guys more than the likes of Rory. Which they always have. They love a good senior citizen scrap

• Advertisement

The tournament fight is the main event because their entire programme for the year is designed around the tournament with the final at the end of the year designed to be their highlight for the year.
    It's understandable on a lot of levels but Rory Vs Lima is one of the best and most interesting matchups of the last 2 or 3 years in any MMA organisation and should be top billing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement