Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carton Wood - Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tp1980

Hi all,

We have also put a deposit in for a 4 bed now when phase 2 launched.

What is the general consensus on the quality of the built?

Are the houses launched in phase 1 all occupied? I see there are a few houses still on hold with a delayed closing date.

Also, what is the update in relation to the park which we were told will be built at the back of the estate by the County Council? We were also told an alley will be organised for the estate to have access to the alley going to Carton House.

We were told our house should be finalised in October / November 2018 and they said this is a term extended with approximately 2 months so they are sure the house will be finished on time.

Apologies for the long post, we are novices in this area and we want to make sure we don't get stung too bad.

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭g3l8usd9inoptz

worst builders I know when it comes to finishes. Had a snag list about 5 pages long.

the park may or may not be built, that's how these things go in general. As for the alley won't be happening anytime soon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭you2008

worst builders I know when it comes to finishes. Had a snag list about 5 pages long.

the park may or may not be built, that's how these things go in general. As for the alley won't be happening anytime soon either.

Can not agree you more, waited them for a year for the 2nd phase, and the only thing they know is push the price up, as some of the 1st phase still not moved in yet, life have to move on ..............:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tp1980

thank you for your reply, I believe you are not the first person to say that...

what do you think about the halting site just across the road? i was told there were never any issues but maybe the situation is different on site

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The park is a delusion of the builders, invented to sell the houses. There are no plans, at all, for a park.

What you are getting on some of that land is a Presbyterian church, though. Its "amenity land", anything potentially spinnable as an amenity can be built there by the council or by the councils agreement and sale of the land.

The halting site is fine. Effectively one extended family, they very occasionally sell a used car or two from the entrance bay but that's about it. Don't think there's even any horses; never any trouble. Maynooth residents in the 80s actually went to great efforts to get a proper halting site built when everywhere else in the country was opposing them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 PDiddy87

tp1980 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have also put a deposit in for a 4 bed now when phase 2 launched.

What is the general consensus on the quality of the built?

Are the houses launched in phase 1 all occupied? I see there are a few houses still on hold with a delayed closing date.

Also, what is the update in relation to the park which we were told will be built at the back of the estate by the County Council? We were also told an alley will be organised for the estate to have access to the alley going to Carton House.

We were told our house should be finalised in October / November 2018 and they said this is a term extended with approximately 2 months so they are sure the house will be finished on time.

Apologies for the long post, we are novices in this area and we want to make sure we don't get stung too bad.

Many thanks.

Hi, we have been living in the estate for about 6 weeks. And so far we are very happy with our new home.

The delays were awful waiting for over a year to move into our home and the communication from the builder was terrible.

Our snag list was long at first and we had to be very persistent returning 3 times but we did get every item on our list sorted. All our snags were little things and there was nothing serious wrong with the house.

We have had a few cracks from the house settling but you would expect that in a new timber home. The builder is also committing to returning after 18 months to do a snag list again.

Since we moved the builder was been quite responsive with queries we’ve had since we moved in.

The haulting site is a non issue.

Hope this helps. We have had all the disappointment and frustrations in the world over the past 12 months but since we moved in, we have no real complaints!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭westsider

PDiddy87 wrote: »
    Hi, we have been living in the estate for about 6 weeks. And so far we are very happy with our new home.

The delays were awful waiting for over a year to move into our home and the communication from the builder was terrible.

Our snag list was long at first and we had to be very persistent returning 3 times but we did get every item on our list sorted. All our snags were little things and there was nothing serious wrong with the house.

We have had a few cracks from the house settling but you would expect that in a new timber home. The builder is also committing to returning after 18 months to do a snag list again.

Since we moved the builder was been quite responsive with queries we’ve had since we moved in.

The haulting site is a non issue.

Hope this helps. We have had all the disappointment and frustrations in the world over the past 12 months but since we moved in, we have no real complaints!

As someone hopefully moving in next couple of months that's all very reassuring to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bulter503

Hi all, 
    Will be snagging the end of the month (fingers crossed!!) and Im just wondering if there is any 'gotcha' or things that ye feel are worthy of a mention? Also, how strict are they (AN) with the 14 day turnaround? Any info ye could give would be great. 
    One more thing, TV/broadband suppliers? I guess Virgin or EIR? Can we get Sky BB yet?
    Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Bulter503 wrote: »
    Hi all, 
    Will be snagging the end of the month (fingers crossed!!) and Im just wondering if there is any 'gotcha' or things that ye feel are worthy of a mention? Also, how strict are they (AN) with the 14 day turnaround? Any info ye could give would be great. 
    One more thing, TV/broadband suppliers? I guess Virgin or EIR? Can we get Sky BB yet?
    Thanks in advance!!

Check the heating, all the rads heat up, all vents outside are fully sealed. Check the paving outside. Most of the snags were small finishes paint, crooked plugs, loose carpet etc.

We snagged and only got in 3 months later due to builder delays so the 14 days wasn't relevant.

We are stuck with Virgin for fibre atm, you can get sky or Eir but only through the copper lines, it won't be fast. Think Thorntons and AES bins both go into the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 med1989

Hi all, 
    Thanks in advance!!

Hi, which row of houses are you in if you don’t mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Bulter503

med1989 wrote: »
    Hi all, 
    Thanks in advance!!

Hi, which row of houses are you in if you don’t mind me asking?

We are in 38 - 42.

A question for those already in. What is mobile phone coverage like? We’re with 3 and know that we have problems with coverage when visiting another estate in Maynooth. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

westsider wrote: »
    A question for those already in. What is mobile phone coverage like? We’re with 3 and know that we have problems with coverage when visiting another estate in Maynooth. Many thanks.

Awful, Voadafone seems to be the best, signal is ours is very poor, no data signal, sometimes no signal at all

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PDiddy87

I had to change to Vodafone as signal was so bad in the house. No issues with Vodafone.

Has anyone buying a house in row 51 -65 been given any specific dates for snags/ closing?
    Almost a year now since paying the deposit ...... 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 40 NM123

Has anyone buying a house in row 51 -65 been given any specific dates for snags/ closing?

Hi there, we are in that row, no specific date received yet. The last update was before Christmas which was they were still on track for March/April. We are going to contact AN this week to see if we can get a more specific date...

Yes we are too, we were told April when everyone else was sent the update in November. Checked with them again last week, they are still saying April but no specific date. They do seem to be moving on quicker with thehouses and there were guys working there Saturday so hopefully the projections are realistic now!

I don’t really understand why it will take a further 3 months to finish these houses when they were started in September? They have started phase 2 building where I feel they should be putting all of their resources into getting all of us into our houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Anyone know if the show house is open today?

Has anyone else in row 51-65 noticed how much higher the front garden walls seem to be being built, looks like they will be quite high once they put the railing on top compared to all the other houses. I see the boundary wall (green fence) went up for the back garden, seems unfortunate that they cannot build a concrete wall along the back of the gardens..has anyone looked into options of covering this fence up?

• Advertisement

NM123 wrote: »
    Has anyone else in row 51-65 noticed how much higher the front garden walls seem to be being built, looks like they will be quite high once they put the railing on top compared to all the other houses. I see the boundary wall (green fence) went up for the back garden, seems unfortunate that they cannot build a concrete wall along the back of the gardens..has anyone looked into options of covering this fence up?
    Hi in relation to the back garden walls do you mean they've only put a fence and not a wall? I'm nearly sure I've seen full walls completed in first few gardens. Where is the green fence?

Hi in relation to the back garden walls do you mean they've only put a fence and not a wall? I'm nearly sure I've seen full walls completed in first few gardens. Where is the green fence?

Yes, we were informed that due to the tree line boundary they were unable to build the foundations needed for a wall. My understanding is that there will still be a solid concrete wall separating the each house’s garden, but the fence would run along the back of the garden. We were told there would be planting put in front of this fence but we still plan to look at options to cover it up. Attached is a photo of what I could see, it’s not great but it will give you an idea

Yes, we were informed that due to the tree line boundary they were unable to build the foundations needed for a wall. My understanding is that there will still be a solid concrete wall separating the each house’s garden, but the fence would run along the back of the garden. We were told there would be planting put in front of this fence but we still plan to look at options to cover it up. Attached is a photo of what I could see, it’s not great but it will give you an idea

Oh God we were never informed of this, can I ask when did they tell you? Do you know does the fence extend along the entire boundary wall? I'll be looking for compensation for not getting all block walls as per spec we signed up to. Again terrible communication from the builders!

Hi,
    We weren't informed of this either . . .unless it is just for the houses which will be affected by the position of some of the larger trees. Those fences look like something you'd see around a school playground or industrial estate.

Has anyone been given any updates regarding timelines? I'm living in hope that they will surprise us by being ahead of schedule . . . .wishful thinking I know!

Do you have any images showing the difference in wall heights?

Oh God we were never informed of this, can I ask when did they tell you? Do you know does the fence extend along the entire boundary wall? I'll be looking for compensation for not getting all block walls as per spec we signed up to. Again terrible communication from the builders!

We only found out by chance from foreman during a visit to the site. Apparently the planning planning permission doesn’t allow for the foundations of a wall along the boundary and so the fence will run all the way along. We were not too pleased either and raised it with ANH but were told there were no alternatives. We have been considering other options such extra planting or solid fencing but were just wondering if anyone else had looked into this. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...:(

Hi,
    We weren't informed of this either . . .unless it is just for the houses which will be affected by the position of some of the larger trees. Those fences look like something you'd see around a school playground or industrial estate.

Has anyone been given any updates regarding timelines? I'm living in hope that they will surprise us by being ahead of schedule . . . .wishful thinking I know!

Apparently the fence runs all along the boundary. They plan to put “planting” in front of it but I’m not sure if that will help much other than take up some precious garden space...
    No update on schedule but we are hoping the same...!

Apparently the fence runs all along the boundary. They plan to put “planting” in front of it but I’m sure sure if that will help much other than take up some precious garden space...
    No update on schedule but we are hoping the same...!

Only for this thread we would know nothing about the development of the build. There has to be a more reasonable and more pleasant looking alternative to those bloody fences!

We only found out by chance from foreman during a visit to the site. Apparently the planning planning permission doesn’t allow for the foundations of a wall along the boundary and so the fence will run all the way along. We were not too pleased either and raised it with ANH but were told there were no alternatives. We have been considering other options such extra planting or solid fencing but were just wondering if anyone else had looked into this. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...:(
    The only way to get information is this forum! Thanks for letting us know, we'll definitely be looking at options and see if we can build a back wall once we're moved in! Very disheartened that they never mentioned this to us, it's very poor form.

• Advertisement

Do you have any images showing the difference in wall heights?

I don’t have an exact comparison but it was just an observation, not a major deal and perhaps it’s just the perspective or the differing heights of the pathways. The attached photo shows the wall height and where they have started putting the railing along the edge. By looks of it the railing will come half way up past the window when it runs along the front wall,where as the showhouse railing was much lower down. Again was just something that struck me when I was out but I’m sure (hope) it will be fine once it’s all complete

Advertisement