Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭trellheim

That T2 Spar is probably one of the most useful shops in the airport , its nearly the very definition of a convenience store if you need to grab milk or bread before heading home in a taxi.

It sells perfectly serviceable coffee already at a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

trellheim wrote: »
    That T2 Spar is probably one of the most useful shops in the airport , its nearly the very definition of a convenience store if you need to grab milk or bread before heading home in a taxi.

Exactly, it serves a actual need

But why would the DAA want to make the airport suit passengers needs, they are looking for ways to extract as much cash out of us as possible, hence the jungle like experience behind the T1 security and the ridiculous obstacle course in T2 where the gates are hidden

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Exactly, it serves a actual need

But why would the DAA want to make the airport suit passengers needs, they are looking for ways to extract as much cash out of us as possible, hence the jungle like experience behind the T1 security and the ridiculous obstacle course in T2 where the gates are hidden

That doesn't really make sense - why would a coffee shop vs a Spar make DAA more cash from passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,678 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

MJohnston wrote: »
    That doesn't really make sense - why would a coffee shop vs a Spar make DAA more cash from passengers?

The retailer may be prepared to pay higher rent. WH Smith offer almost an identical range so why have two shops when a cafe would suit a lot more people waiting for arrivals and or those arriving passengers.

The reality is here that Spar were unlikely to renew the contract.

It sells perfectly serviceable coffee already at a decent price.

You can stop at Topaz or the other Spar instead....

Spar is just a rip off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭orionm_73

MJohnston wrote: »

The DAA make money from the rent paid by the retailer. I would imagine a big coffee chain with international presence has offered more in rent than the incumbent Spar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

How do you mean by "the gates are hidden?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’ve used that spar for the likes of bread and milk on the way home but it never seemed busier than any other spar and with airport rental prices I’d say it’s a tight enough operation with little room for bigger rental fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

orionm_73 wrote: »
    The DAA make money from the rent paid by the retailer. I would imagine a big coffee chain with international presence has offered more in rent than the incumbent Spar.

I'd have my doubts about that tbh, but possibly also Spar didn't want to compete because they didn't find it profitable though?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of the 'rents' in the airport are turnover % rather than fixed rents; I would imagine a branded coffee shop will have a lower turnover but could possibly offer a far higher % due to the huge margins. Margins on many newsagent style items are extremely thin (smokes, lotto, newspapers, payzone are specifically poor). Margin on coffee and buns is astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭trellheim

You can stop at Topaz or the other Spar instead....

Spar is just a rip off anyway.
    But if I'm in a taxi I dont want to get out into the cold again till I'm at my own front door :) Agree its convenience pricing but in this case.... it IS a convenience :) !!!

• Advertisement

rushfan wrote: »
    How do you mean by "the gates are hidden?
    Buried as far away from security, hidden behind a corner

Buried as far away from security, hidden behind a corner

Hidden? Are you for real? Do you genuinely have difficulty reading flight information screens? Can you not follow the route to the gates? How come 28 million pax manage to find these mysteriously hidden gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,581 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Hidden? Are you for real? Do you genuinely have difficulty reading flight information screens? Can you not follow the route to the gates? How come 28 million pax manage to find these mysteriously hidden gates?

I think that the other poster’s point is that you are forced to pass through the entire retail area in T2 to get to the 400 gates (and then double back on yourself a bit before going down the escalators). There’s no direct route that bypasses it.

But clearly that’s how the airport generates revenue, so it’s not really unexpected.

LXFlyer wrote:
    I think that the other poster’s point is that you are forced to pass through the entire retail area in T2 to get to the 400 gates (and then double back on yourself a bit before going down the escalators). There’s no direct route that bypasses it.

I would disagree. You're not really FORCED through the retail area in T2. More so in T1 because of the serpentine curve through the shops. But to suggest that the gates are hidden is utter nonsense to be frank.

DAA has set up a maze in T2 which requires you to loop around

Into security, exit left, then turn right, navigate the obstacle course, left and left again. Its designed to force you to walk past the entire spread of expensive retail outlets

You could if the DAA hadn't built all those walls walk in a straight line from security to the escalators down to the gates

The 300 gates entrance in T1 buried among a pile of cosmetic shops

It doesn't facilitate quick movement through the airport, lots of pinch points as you navigate around people gawping at the shops.

Compared to T2 LHR, straight out of security, head down, gates are there, wide unobstructed isles.

Christ, spare me from the snowflake generation.

Dublin airport is on a par with pretty much ever other major airport that I’ve been through including Heathrow T2 where you still have to pass by lots of shops, restaurants and seating areas to access a gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Into security, exit left, then turn right, navigate the obstacle course, left and left again. Its designed to force you to walk past the entire spread of expensive retail outlets

You could if the DAA hadn't built all those walls walk in a straight line from security to the escalators down to the gates

It doesn't facilitate quick movement through the airport, lots of pinch points as you navigate around people gawping at the shops.

Compared to T2 LHR, straight out of security, head down, gates are there, wide unobstructed isles.

You're really going to love the new layout of retail in T2 when it's completed in 18 months!!

****Sarcasm****

trellheim wrote: »
    But if I'm in a taxi I dont want to get out into the cold again till I'm at my own front door :) Agree its convenience pricing but in this case.... it IS a convenience :) !!!

Send the driver in for a few extra quid :D

DUB is probally one of the best airports around in terms of layout from security to gate. Shops are part of the experience, look at places like LGW where you must do a 360 almost and then more shops before you can get to gates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Dublin airport is on a par with pretty much ever other major airport that I’ve been through including Heathrow T2 where you still have to pass by lots of shops, restaurants and seating areas to access a gate.
    I went thru FCO in 2015. Checked in T1, felt like Iwas walking thru Dundrum enroute to the end of the terminal. (Bus transfer to T3)

Tenger wrote: »
    I went thru FCO in 2015. Checked in T1, felt like Iwas walking thru Dundrum enroute to the end of the terminal. (Bus transfer to T3)

Barcelona is the same, endless shops. Orlando is by far the worst I’ve experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Barcelona is the same, endless shops. Orlando is by far the worst I’ve experienced.

Sanford or International? I'd have said MCO is one of the better ones for not making you have to walk through shops. Unless they have recently changed one of the concourses.

Sanford or International? I'd have said MCO is one of the better ones for not making you have to walk through shops. Unless they have recently changed one of the concourses.

MCO pre security i just a shopping mall and a hotel lobby with carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

MCO pre security i just a shopping mall and a hotel lobby with carpet.

Thats interesting you see it that way. To me MCO is the opposite of a shopping mall.

Go in to check in hall - no shops. If you go straight to security then you might pass one or two small ones. Its not like you're forced to navigate a maze thru shops.

It's only if you walk from one end to the other past the food court there is the line of shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Sorry to derail the thread but that snow would hardly stop flights tomorrow? Due to fly out at 4pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Agreed with Pat - I frequently buy milk at that Spar on the way home. I hope whatever replaces it will sell milk too.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    Sorry to derail the thread but that snow would hardly stop flights tomorrow? Due to fly out at 4pm tomorrow.

It shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

TheFitz13 wrote: »

God no, check the forecast! Will be well too warm and raining by then!

Although, this brings me on to my remark of Dublin's inability to clear snow in an efficient manner.

Snow stopped around 23:30-23:45 at the airport, with the first estmate of reopening at 00:20. However, this has been continually pushed back to eventually reaching 01:15 now, and still likely to be later. Why has the airport such an inability to deal with snow? Has nothing been learned since 2010?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

So the job of clearing the snow took 55 minutes longer to do than originally anticipated. Its all very easy to be critical when you're wrapped up nice and warm typing furiously over a hot keyboard and not out on a dark miserable night with the wind and snow. I say well done to the ground crews who did a great job tonight in what were far from ideal conditions.

Advertisement