Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

irishgeo wrote: »
    is this needed for the second runway

I believe it is yes as the threshold of 28R would be out of line of sight for the current tower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Think it automatically adjusts too for wind when not being used....

Didn't you not know that all the crane drivers in Dubln phone each other just before quitting time each evening so as to park their cranes in the same direction :D

I pity the poor old crane operator, as it will be a fine long walk to the office each morning.

Seriously though, cranes have to be able to move freely when not in use, so as not to exceed operational limits. Similar to a ship stirring into the wind and wave direction.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Went down the M2 earlier to Finglas, and I suspect that there will be quite a few requests from operators to upgrade the rotating green and white beacon on the old tower to use the same type of strobes that are in use on that crane, they sure do stand out well on it, very visible from near the Brock Inn on the M2,

And yes it sure is tall.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Went down the M2 earlier to Finglas, and I suspect that there will be quite a few requests from operators to upgrade the rotating green and white beacon on the old tower to use the same type of strobes that are in use on that crane, they sure do stand out well on it, very visible from near the Brock Inn on the M2,

I've just seen this myself from St Margarets village. It's some height although in saying, maybe it looks higher because there's no tall buildings beside it. So, off topic I know, but this must be one of the tallest construction cranes ever in Ireland????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Cranes are normally left in 'free float' they can rotate to the point of least resistance of the wind. It's mainly the counterweight that takes a wind loading the rest being predominantly tubular.
    Indeed. In Miami during the last big hurricane the sight of multiple rotating cranes caused quite a bit on concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Not bad, it looks to be around 350 tall (600 ft amsl).

http://www.stwarchitects.com/project-information.php?p=08035

The new tower will be over 250ft when completed in 2019

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

kravmaga wrote: »
    http://www.stwarchitects.com/project-information.php?p=08035

The new tower will be 250ft when completed in 2019

86.9m is 285ft.

My understanding is that the tallest crane in Ireland prior to the new one at DUB is at the Capital Dock building opposite the 3Arena (Point Depot) it is 79 metres high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

86.9m is 285ft.

Yeah i know that dude, thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

And yes it sure is tall.

Indeed, it certainly stands out alright driving along the M50, and agreed the Aerodrome Identification Beacon at Dublin could sure do with an upgrade from the current one on top of the old original terminal, the Green/White beacons on Shannon and Cork's towers puts Dublin to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Anyone know when the night time resurfacing works on runway 28/10 will be finished? Lots of complaints from residents in north Dublin from the use of the Rwy 34.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Reading an interview with the chairman of Dublin aerospace he says the the hangers might go for apron extension or a terminal . If that was the case would the DAA build new ones somewhere else on the campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    My understanding is that the tallest crane in Ireland prior to the new one at DUB is at the Capital Dock building opposite the 3Arena (Point Depot) it is 79 metres high.

The Spire one was likely taller but definitely the tallest in the country at the minute I'd say, I was watching it being erected the other day, impressive how quick it went up

On the above question, the runway resurfacing is due to be completed in April. The new Runway is due to start construction towards the end of this year from what I've heard, pending outcome of potential appeals to the court cases last month. The first phase is complete but main package works have yet to start

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Anyone know when the night time resurfacing works on runway 28/10 will be finished? Lots of complaints from residents in north Dublin from the use of the Rwy 34.

Target date is April 2018 per the Dublin Airport website.

I thought the aerodrome beacon was permanently withdrawn from use about two years ago.

The Spire one was likely taller but definitely the tallest in the country at the minute I'd say, I was watching it being erected the other day, impressive how quick it went up

Apologies, I should have clarified that by saying the tallest Tower Crane. The one which lifted the Spire was a Mobile Crawler Crane which is a completely different animal entirely.

I thought the aerodrome beacon was permanently withdrawn from use about two years ago.

Is that the one on top of the Control Tower of the original Terminal Building?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

roadmaster wrote: »
    Reading an interview with the chairman of Dublin aerospace he says the the hangers might go for apron extension or a terminal . If that was the case would the DAA build new ones somewhere else on the campus?

Yea thats the talk alright of hangars 1-5 going...theres loads of space out west for new ones...it will require hangars built before extension anyway.
    Those companies in that refurbished building must be paying a fortune for rent and car parking spaces in the blue car park...each day theres more spaces annexed by the DAA for them

Really? Didn’t think that was allowed, I understood all controlled airports are required to have an identification beacon. I could have sworn I saw the beacon on the old terminal while driving past recently at night, but wouldn’t put it past myself to be imagining it.

Im shoehorning this in under "infrastructure"; ;)

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/dublin-airport-spar-to-close-as-daa-moves-in-new-direction-1.3355034

Dublin Airport is planning on replacing the Spar convenience store in its terminal two arrivals area with an outlet that it believes will better appeal to its international passengers, recently posted tender documents show.
    The airport operator, the DAA, would rather “deliver a high quality coffee offer” to the arrivals hall than the current Spar offering, the documents show.
    “Research and analysis of the current offering in this T2 landside area has identified that there is a gap in the zone for a high-quality coffee offering along with a strong sandwich/wrap/grab-and-go offer,” the tender said.
    “Given the mixed profile of users of the area it is essential that the offer has the capability of appealing to the international market,” it added......
    ........The airport wants a “recognised coffee offering” and the successful applicants will have the opportunity to reconfigure the lay out of the unit. It is understood the term “recognised coffee brand” simply relates to companies that already have coffee offerings and doesn’t narrow the field to large multinational brands.

Maybe I'm a cynic but I'm expecting a Starbucks.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Im shoehorning this in under "infrastructure"; ;)

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/dublin-airport-spar-to-close-as-daa-moves-in-new-direction-1.3355034

Dublin Airport is planning on replacing the Spar convenience store in its terminal two arrivals area with an outlet that it believes will better appeal to its international passengers, recently posted tender documents show.
    The airport operator, the DAA, would rather “deliver a high quality coffee offer” to the arrivals hall than the current Spar offering, the documents show.
    “Research and analysis of the current offering in this T2 landside area has identified that there is a gap in the zone for a high-quality coffee offering along with a strong sandwich/wrap/grab-and-go offer,” the tender said.
    “Given the mixed profile of users of the area it is essential that the offer has the capability of appealing to the international market,” it added......
    ........The airport wants a “recognised coffee offering” and the successful applicants will have the opportunity to reconfigure the lay out of the unit. It is understood the term “recognised coffee brand” simply relates to companies that already have coffee offerings and doesn’t narrow the field to large multinational brands.

Maybe I'm a cynic but I'm expecting a Starbucks.
    Ah krap, just what we want another over priced coffee shop in Arrivals.

Just to be sure on this, is this the Spar in the entrance corridor from bus parking area under Block C of the Short Term Car Park, before you get into T1 properly? Always find that one very handy for a pint of milk and fresh bread on the return leg home.

Yes the corridor outside the Spar shop is a complete and utter $h1t hole, always very grotty and never kept to a decent level of cleanliness, with bird droppings everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

It’s the T2 one, opposite the WH Smith outside the arrivals door.

Just to be sure on this, is this the Spar in the entrance corridor from bus parking area under Block C of the Short Term Car Park, before you get into T1 properly? Always find that one very handy for a pint of milk and fresh bread on the return leg home. .......
    Article mentions T2, and states that the Spar in T1 was closed a while back. So this is the Spar that is opposite WH Smith on the Arrivals level of T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ah krap, just what we want another over priced coffee shop in Arrivals.

Just to be sure on this, is this the Spar in the entrance corridor from bus parking area under Block C of the Short Term Car Park, before you get into T1 properly? Always find that one very handy for a pint of milk and fresh bread on the return leg home.

Yes the corridor outside the Spar shop is a complete and utter $h1t hole, always very grotty and never kept to a decent level of cleanliness, with bird droppings everywhere.

It’s the Spar in Terminal 2 Arrivals that is being replaced.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    It’s the Spar in Terminal 2 Arrivals that is being replaced.

Grand, thanks.

Tenger wrote: »
    Article mentions T2, and states that the Spar in T1 was closed a while back. So this is the Spar that is opposite WH Smith on the Arrivals level of T2.

Grand thanks on that.
    The shop I'm thinking of is opposite T1, on the Ground Floor Level of the Short Term Car Park. On the way to the Long Term Car Park buses and is still open :)

Is that the one on top of the Control Tower of the original Terminal Building?

Yes. Requirements changed as their actual benefit is limited in the modern nav era.

Yes. Requirements changed as their actual benefit is limited in the modern nav era.

Ahh that's a shame, as it held a special place in my childhood memories of Dublin Airport. :(

What a shame, always one of those things I associated with going to the airport as a child, hopefully they bring it back with this new control tower if only for nostalgia and decoration, it's probably like getting rid of coastal lighthouses, not used really these days but still nice to look at and a nice throwback to times gone by.

In addition to Cork and Shannon's high powered beacons, Frankfurt also has quite an impressive Aerodrome Beacon, very ominous/impressive looking in fog or mist, really adds to the atmosphere of the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Pat Dunne wrote:
    Grand thanks on that. The shop I'm thinking of is opposite T1, on the Ground Floor Level of the Short Term Car Park. On the way to the Long Term Car Park buses and is still open

That's operated by Wright's of Howth. Spar in T1 is on Arrivals level almost opposite the Angels Share bar.

Advertisement