Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

sdanseo wrote: »
    Question for those a little more knowledgeable.

The planning application for the runway states it will be 3,110m long but with what seems to be an additional 280 + 450m displaced thresholds. There was talk of adjusting the application to a 3,660m runway but this never happened.

Why not? Would a 3,600m runway not be more of an advantage than almost 700m of displacement which would only require further development down the line to be usable?

Was it to keep the neighbours happy?
    Were they worried the entire application would be rejected, as opposed to getting it built and then later applying for a change of use?

It was more less the economic downturn. When it was considered the planning was (either granted) or close to a decision. The application would of required a lot of changes but with the economic situation it was deferred. When it was revisited a few years ago time was a big factor and I suspect daa didn't want to risk possible extra conditions attached.

Not forgetting the regulator have only approved charges for 3,100 so there would of also been a consultation process with airlines again and they would be even more opposed and I don't see the daa paying for the extra.

3,100 is more than adequate for DUBs needs and aircraft like the B787/A350 weren't around back in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This is the tower crane compared to the control tower. Both were about the same distance from me when I took this today.

439987.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This is the tower crane compared to the control tower. Both were about the same distance from me when I took this today.

439987.PNG

Visible for many km around, especially with the strobes that were added. The new tower will dominate the skyline (in a good way).

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/daa-seeks-to-spend-300m-a-year-on-airport-works-36537396.html
    DAA seeks to spend €300m a year on airport works

DAA said construction projects would include terminal infrastructure, pier development, apron space, surface access development and a possible tunnel to the west apron area of the airport.

Tunnel to West A is interesting one and I guess part of the revised master plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/daa-seeks-to-spend-300m-a-year-on-airport-works-36537396.html

Tunnel to West A is interesting one and I guess part of the revised master plan.

West Apron for possible future T3?

• Advertisement

daa have no plans for T3 and the above plans would be more short term.

No to bus passengers to west apron and for service vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

No to bus passengers to west apron and for service vehicles.

I was wondering alright, it seemed strange. That certainly makes more sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

They love digging the place up from october every year

Fingal County Council have been announced as the new noise regulator for the airport and the EU directive will finally be put into law soon to allow them commence their work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Great, give it to politicians instead of people who know the first thing about the subject, like the relevant CAA, meaning it becomes a way of getting re-elected for councilors in the area, splendid idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

HTCOne wrote: »
    Great, give it to politicians instead of people who know the first thing about the subject, like the relevant CAA, meaning it becomes a way of getting re-elected for councilors in the area, splendid idea

The council has hundreds of employees. Councillors have almost nothing to do with day to day running of it.

Could actually be said how can it be independent when the council itself is heavily funded by the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Fingal County Council have been announced as the new noise regulator for the airport and the EU directive will finally be put into law soon to allow them commence their work.

My understanding was the IAA were to take responsibility for noise regulation?

Has this changed or have some functions been split up?

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2016/minister-ross-welcomes-iaa-preparations-new-role-airport-noise-regulator-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Have you got a link to this announcement?

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    The council has hundreds of employees. Councillors have almost nothing to do with day to day running of it.

Could actually be said how can it be independent when the council itself is heavily funded by the airport.

Right, so how many of them know the different regulations for pistons, turboprops, turbojets and turbofans? How many of them can tell by listening if noise is coming from engines or surfaces/gear? The reason I ask the latter is on a heavy crosswind evening with WS (wind shear) will there be some jobs worth standing with a clipboard failing everything because the noise is louder and he/she doesn’t have a clue what’s going on, all they hear is noise and put a big X down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Right, so how many of them know the different regulations for pistons, turboprops, turbojets and turbofans? How many of them can tell by listening if noise is coming from engines or surfaces/gear? The reason I ask the latter is on a heavy crosswind evening with WS (wind shear) will there be some jobs worth standing with a clipboard failing everything because the noise is louder and he/she doesn’t have a clue what’s going on, all they hear is noise and put a big X down?

This is government. It will be funded separately and they’ll hire for the function.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    This is government. It will be funded separately and they’ll hire for the function.

You’re far more optimistic than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I am sure Fingall CC can purchasea few of these to go with the clipboard.

http://www.noisemeters.ie/cat/sound-level-meters/

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I might be wrong, but for the purpose of noise management, as I understand it, they wouldn't need to know the 'regulations' relating to aircraft types, crosswinds windshear etc. Their role is to monitor the overall aircraft noise in the environs and report on compliance to the specified limits. It would help to inform their understanding of the noise but that's not necessarily their prime concern. Also as with any other regulator, if you don't have the expertise you just hire it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

faoiarvok wrote: »

The Baron of Stepaside doing his best Putinesque pose :) did he make them give him a go :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

This could get interesting, it seems that both Fingal County Council and the IAA are going to be the noise regulator. Will be interesting to see how that pans out, Looks to me like somebody got given some bad information along the way.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

This could get interesting, it seems that both Fingal County Council and the IAA are going to be the noise regulator. Will be interesting to see how that pans out, Looks to me like somebody got given some bad information along the way.

Hmmm:
    The competent authority responsible for adopting noise-related operating restrictions should be independent of any organisation involved in the airport’s operation, air transport or air navigation service provision, or representing the interests thereof and of the residents living in the vicinity of the airport.

https://publications.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/b6947ca7-f1f6-11e3-8cd4-01aa75ed71a1/language-en

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Makes more sense for Fingal to do it. They have an interest on both sides. They want the airport to succeed for all the usual reasons, but they also are responsible to local residents on that side as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Snow is forecasted for Dublin Airport from 10 pm tonight (Monday), so we'll see how well they react. It should be fairly light dry snow to begin with, not like the wet slick fall that caused such problems a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah they are looking at other options for the airport hotel, it has not been abandoned. one directly connected into the terminal is so much more attractive than what is there at present...

The Two office blocks that Stewart's are building for DAA, are they being built in speculation or have the DAA already tennants lined up to occupy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

roadmaster wrote: »
    The Two office blocks that Stewart's are building for DAA, are they being built in speculation or have the DAA already
    tennants lined up to occupy them?

They are certainly seeking to land tenants, especially ones of substance.
    http://dublinairportcentral.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Blut2

Excellent news. On-wards with progress!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Gaoth Lag

Where was that snow that was predicted for Monday?

Advertisement