Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great support in Limerick to be honest, only thing I could fault it in anyway was we caught the half marathon at one stage and it took a few miles to get through them but we did. Small gripe but overall a great Marathon with plenty of support.

Was it a wall of them that was a struggle to get through or loose enough where just a bit of weaving required???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

squinn2912 wrote: »
    What is the limerick course like? I want to attempt a sub3 in may/June. Got word newry may not happen so looking for a plan B
    It's was easier previous years but,they changed it up last year,as someone has said,now miles 22 to 25 is tough enough.There is little to no support the first half,but picks up abit in the 2ND half,last 2 miles the crowd builds up,just when you need it.But be weary that just after halfway,you will lose abit of time because in sub 3 crowd,we ran into the back of the half-marathon,which had just started.It took us about 2 miles to weave our way past them.The pacer dermot keairns was class here.Telling us all,not to panic,we will make up anytime we lose here, later on.Which of course he did to a tee.Good marathon,on my doorstep,so if I fail in Manchester,I will give sub 3 a crack here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Was it a wall of them that was a struggle to get through or loose enough where just a bit of weaving required???

Wall to get through Marty for a bit that required running on the side of the road the leaders were on but was quick enough to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

El Caballo wrote: »

Any one else having a crack this year and what your plans?

Officially - God, no
    Unofficially - Hopeful

I'm going back to Rotterdam and 6 weeks into training using the P+F 55 mile plan (I added a couple of weeks of mileage building at the start). All going well so far with times gradually dropping down.
    I'm training using HR only except for specific threshold sessions and I'm enjoying it more than training solely by pace.
    I ran Dublin last year using HR only and enjoyed a marathon for the first time in a while. Time wasn't great but that wasn't the aim.

If I can stay healthy and get into the same shape I was in for Rotterdam last year I'm in with a shout of sub 3. If not, I'll take a near 3 hour PB.
    Marathon number 20 too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Officially - God, no
    Unofficially - Hopeful

I'm going back to Rotterdam and 6 weeks into training using the P+F 55 mile plan (I added a couple of weeks of mileage building at the start). All going well so far with times gradually dropping down.
    I'm training using HR only except for specific threshold sessions and I'm enjoying it more than training solely by pace.
    I ran Dublin last year using HR only and enjoyed a marathon for the first time in a while. Time wasn't great but that wasn't the aim.

If I can stay healthy and get into the same shape I was in for Rotterdam last year I'm in with a shout of sub 3. If not, I'll take a near 3 hour PB.
    Marathon number 20 too!

Wow. (Yes, I know there are people who've done thousands, but just seems like quite a few for a fella gunning for sub 3 - beats me anyway. I think it only took me 11 or 12 goes!)

As for Cork course. I only did last year's one so can't compare to previous and it isn't as flat as say Frankfurt or Valencia, that's for sure. The hills aren't exactly monsters but they're longish drags and the bit around km 33 to 34 that brings you onto Model Farm Rd, that almost did for me. Not sure I'd have held on if it wasn't for the pacer to be honest. If you get a real good block of training in I think that is the key.

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Wow. (Yes, I know there are people who've done thousands, but just seems like quite a few for a fella gunning for sub 3 - beats me anyway. I think it only took me 11 or 12 goes!)

Ha! I should probably point out this will be about my 5th attempt at training for sub 3. The first 3 or 4 marathons were for the finish, then I travelled a good bit and made a long weekend out of it. It wasn't until I ran my current PB of 3:09 that I thought sub 3 was possible. Up till then it never entered my head that I could do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Best of luck with your Ricky, I am in for London, so gonna give the sub 3 a bash after getting a 3:04 last year in Manchester. I will be happy if I can improve on my time, but I am going to train for a sub 3 and hope the day goes well considering all the variables between my own head and the crowds in London etc.

Gonna be going with a slightly modified version the P&D 55+ (12 weeks) by modified, I mean I will be making it up slightly as I go along with a few morning runs that may be shorter than planned as I fit the training around a young family and work commitments. Currently just doing lots of easy miles and some interval sessions with a few club mates to keep me ticking over untii I start the 12 week plan on 28/01/18.

I am convinced last years marathon time was helped by lots of good quality sleep, so hears hoping I can get some of that too :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm aiming for a sub 3 in Dublin this year, or will train for it at a minimum.

Would be a fairly huge reduction from my 3:52 in my first marathon in Dublin last year, but aim to drop about 10kg body mass and increase training a lot (my training last year left a lot to be desired). Based on my current VDOT times for short distance it should be achievable, just need to ramp up the endurance training/miles per week a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Amirani wrote: »

Would be a fairly huge reduction from my 3:52 in my first marathon in Dublin last year, but aim to drop about 10kg body mass and increase training a lot (my training last year left a lot to be desired). Based on my current VDOT times for short distance it should be achievable, just need to ramp up the endurance training/miles per week a lot.

That's the job, nothing like a man who aims for the stars. Keep us updated and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

That would be some jump, out of interest what are your shorter distance PBs currently?
    Do you have a training plan in mind?

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Bez Bing wrote: »
    That would be some jump, out of interest what are your shorter distance PBs currently?
    Do you have a training plan in mind?

Best of luck with it

Currently 19:20 for 5k (slightly old though, pre-marathon, and haven't challenged it in a while), which is equivalent to 3:05:09 on VDOT calculator.

So general plan is:

Jan/Feb: Increase the mileage week-by-week until I get to around 50 miles/week. At the same time, do some targeted speed work to get 5k time under 19mins and 10k time down around 40mins.

Mar/Apr/May: 3 month specific training for a half marathon at the end of May. Probably be looking to go sub-1:30 in this.

June: Bit of a recovery month, just going to focus on keeping the running miles at a decent level as well as doing some extra strength and conditioning work. May fit in a holiday.

July/August/Sept/Oct: 4 month specific marathon training. Got a dedicated sub 3hr plan from a friend of mine that's in a running club, so just aiming to be at the right level to follow this by the time July comes around.

Hoping to follow the progress of everyone in here to adapt the plan as I go! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

July/August/Sept/Oct: 4 month specific marathon training. Got a dedicated sub 3hr plan from a friend of mine that's in a running club, so just aiming to be at the right level to follow this by the time July comes around.

Hoping to follow the progress of everyone in here to adapt the plan as I go! :)

Would you consider joining the club? could be helpful in taking a bit of mental pressure off you for some big sessions. I know personally I find it hard to build myself up to get the best out of every session so tend to jump at running company when I can just for a chance to switch off and share the workload and stress of worrying about paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Well guys. Looking like newry marathon won't go ahead this year. Any advice on a marathon to do instead. Fastest course possible of course. Would prefer not to travel. May or June. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

squinn2912 wrote:
    Well guys. Looking like newry marathon won't go ahead this year. Any advice on a marathon to do instead. Fastest course possible of course. Would prefer not to travel. May or June. Thanks

Limerick!

Belfast?
    I can't recall the elevation but remembered enjoying it a few years back. Granted, it was a week after a car crash and propped up on lots of painkillers

Considering Belfast but it's that month early. You guys gunning for sub3 or a pb what miles are you up to?

I'm hopeful of sub3 but not staking my year on it like last year. Right now I'm sat in Starbucks looking out at the rain and wondering if 30km in the wind and rain or cinema with the toddler would be better

I'm hopeful of sub3 but not staking my year on it like last year. Right now I'm sat in Starbucks looking out at the rain and wondering if 30km in the wind and rain or cinema with the toddler would be better
    Go out and do an hour or so and catch the next showing! I did 13 miles this morning with some marathon pace towards the end. If you're on 30k already you're flying

Done!
    That was the kick in the aras I needed. 24km done with the last 11km at marathon HR.
    Better than the 0km I was planning

Great work well done!

• Advertisement

Considering Belfast but it's that month early. You guys gunning for sub3 or a pb what miles are you up to?
    You gona do Limerick instead squinn?I did 18 today,12 slow,5 (supposed to be m.p ) and 1 slow.Was hoping to hit 6:45 for m.p.Only managed 6:50 to 6:58.Was grunting like a pig,the last m.p mile.Lots of work to do,to get back to sub 3 shape.Time to cop on now.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    You gona do Limerick instead squinn?I did 18 today,12 slow,5 (supposed to be m.p ) and 1 slow.Was hoping to hit 6:45 for m.p.Only managed 6:50 to 6:58.Was grunting like a pig,the last m.p mile.Lots of work to do,to get back to sub 3 shape.Time to cop on now.

Great miles lad!! I'm about 3 weeks behind that type of shape. What are you doing during the week?
    In two minds between Derry, limerick, Belfast or cork. That's 4 minds! Belfast isn't a great date and cork meant to be hilly... leaves 2. Can't decide

Great miles lad!! I'm about 3 weeks behind that type of shape. What are you doing during the week?
    In two minds between Derry, limerick, Belfast or cork. That's 4 minds! Belfast isn't a great date and cork meant to be hilly... leaves 2. Can't decide
    I'm at 68 miles,so far for the week,I will do 4/5 recovery tomorrow,on the treadmill,when my young lad goes for a snooze,baby monitor for company.Do Limerick man,Despite all my cribbing about how hilly they have made it.All my P.b,s are on that course

Will def consider it lad bit of a spin but if it's a good course it might be worth it! Great miles I've never crossed 60 pw... thought I was doing well getting 40 in this week!

Will def consider it lad bit of a spin but if it's a good course it might be worth it! Great miles I've never crossed 60 pw... thought I was doing well getting 40 in this week!
    Do a few easy miles after work,3/4 times aweek.Like 4 miles a night easy, at 8:30 pace.,Equals an extra 16 miles aweek.If that doesn't suit,do what I do,run on ur lunch break.

kerrylad1 wrote: »

Cork course couldn't be described as hilly. I'll link to Garmin or Strava later to give you an idea. But Hilly........ No.

You must do the big end of your work in the morning time?

I thought I saw something online to that effect Itziger... I'd do something comparable to Dublin if I could

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Itziger wrote: »
    Cork course couldn't be described as hilly. I'll link to Garmin or Strava later to give you an idea. But Hilly........ No.

I wish someone had told my legs that at mile 22 last year! Our perceptions of the course will be a lot different though - one of us got a sub 3 and the other one dragged himself round the 2nd half of the course in the horrors.

Seriously though, it's not hilly (not like Clon anyway). There's a few drags, but they nearly all come in the 2nd half of the course, so they feel worse. It's the weather in Cork which is the main factor I think. It'll either be roasting (for Cork, like) or p1ssing down.

Capture.jpg

Dublin is yellow/orange. Cork is purple/blue. That big spike in the Cork graph after 5k is just a GPS blip. Scale is in metres and goes from 0 to 80.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot lads I just noticed these posts struggling with cattle all day! Great work would leave a man very tempted to take cork on. Wish I could work out how to use my own Garmin for this stuff!

Advertisement