Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's the most wonderful time of the year. I'm here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

As the renowned writers Geoffrey Chaucer and Nelly Furtado once said - all good things come to an end. And so it is that a fantastic year of achievement and accomplishment comes to a depressing conclusion with a Christmas Day that could be described as abysmal at best. The fact that I find myself posting on this site, a site normally associated with men with beards discussing computer gaming strategy, is evidence enough of the horrors that I had to endure.

Things started to go wrong from the very start. The Brother has recently discovered atheism, and has become one of those insufferable types who feel the need to talk about it constantly, quoting nonsense from spoofers such as Dawkins. As a result of this he refused to go along with our time honored family tradition of attending Midnight Mass. The Mass itself was a tough hour, mostly because of the ‘efforts’ of the local choir. Their rendition of Silent Night in particular was horrific, with one local busybody thinking he sounds like Andrea Bocelli, when in reality he sounds like a pig being lead to slaughter. We arrived home to find the brother passed out on the couch, surrounded by empty cans and the remains of a Maltesers selection box.

I ran the Goal Mile on Christmas morning. There was lots of guffawing from slack jawed yokels as I went through my warm up routine before the race. There was rather less guffawing when I posted the best time in my age category by a considerable margin, beaten overall by a few athletes in their early 20’s. I entered into the spirit of the charity race by donating 500 euro afterwards.

The present giving wasn’t exactly a success; the Brother (when he finally got up) asked if he could cash in the generous voucher for Louis Copeland's that I gave him. I figured that a suit might help him get a real job and would perhaps increase the chances of a favorable outcome at his next inevitable court appearance. As I said to Mother, it’s time Judge Mary Fahy got tough with him.

There was also a distinct lack of gratitude from other family members. My Father did express genuine thanks for the all-expenses paid trip to the Cheltenham festival (all expenses doesn’t include bets I quipped!). The voucher for Ballymaloe that I gave to my Mother was frostily received. After a few too many glasses of wine, she actually had a go at me and claimed that she didn't need to be taught how to cook. When I mentioned that her Christmas Dinner roast potatoes suggested otherwise she left the room in tears. I've always told her to limit herself to two glasses and these emotional outbursts are what happens when she doesn't listen. I did manage to save the meal by preparing a wonderful turkey jus instead of the Bisto based fiasco that was being proposed. You can’t do much with over cooked turkey and vegetables, but it really saved it from being, frankly, inedible.

Christmas Dinner itself was made all the merrier by a surprise guest in the shape of my brother's latest paramour. Her Christmas Day attire wouldn't have looked out of place in Amsterdam's Red Light district; she single handedly polished off one of the bottles that I had earmarked for pairing with the cheeseboard. To her credit, the girl was knowledgeable, thanks to her if I ever find myself in the position of being an unemployed single mother, I know how to maximize my returns from trips to the Social Welfare office.

I’d had quite enough of the family by late afternoon, so retired to the kitchen to listen to some classical music, read some of a wonderful new book published on Charlemagne, and to feast on the wonderful cheeseboard I had prepared.

Finally, as I predicted, here is what the Brother got me for Christmas. I don’t know why I bother.

https://imgur.com/a/fZ1v4

I cant believe a man of your wealth and status would lower himself to be wearing the jeans of the common man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Legend - it's the first time I can actually relate to people on boards, merci AVB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

tara73 wrote: »
    It's a persiflage. But don't worry, somebody needed to tell me too:D it's actually very funny now reading it..

But I wonder, does the person who writes this lived too long in germany or still does?:D Is it mainly a persiflage on the germans? Because this writing describes exactly the behaviour and thinking of the average german person..:eek:

I beg your pardon?

(the German)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Aongus, with the help of an experienced editor your literary outpours might have potential.

You remind me a bit of the very early Joe O'Connor (back then I enjoyed very much his book "The Irish male at home and abroad"), thrown in a bit of of David McWilliams or rather Eddie Hobbs, seasoned with a dash of Eoghan Harris and rounded off with a pinch of Frank McNally.

You really should keep on writing your columns and eventually make a book of it.
    You could easily persiflage all the AH discussions as you did so skillfully in your last post.
    May I suggest the title of said book as "Life and Adventures of an Irish Lord: From Ballygobackwards to the glittering lights of a financial metropolis". Or such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

First of all I really enjoy Aongus' posts.

Did anyone else picture Patrick Bateman (played by Christian Bale) while reading this post.

I think Aongus' would really enjoy Dorsia?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Neames wrote: »
    First of all I really enjoy Aongus' posts.

Did anyone else picture Patrick Bateman (played by Christian Bale) while reading this post.

I think Aongus' would really enjoy Dorsia?

I think Aongus would really enjoy it up dorsia!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Guys I don't understand why this riles you up the wrong way so much. Whether this online persona is an accurate reflection of a real person or completely made up or anything in between doesn't really matter. It's light hearted, well written and intelligent enough. Shouldn't really offend anyone either. And it plays you guys perfectly on the whole 'let no one raise above their station' thing.

It's much better than most of the other 'stories' written here or the 'how often do you go to the toilet?' threads and it gives me a smile every time.

From the humour in those posts I think I'd quite like Aongus actually. So I shall stop being rude by talking about him rather than talking to him and simply say 'Happy New Year Aongus. Go easy on the mother, she means well'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's much the same as Pat Shortt, or Mrs Browns Boys IMO. Beloved by many but the reason is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's much the same as Pat Shortt, or Mrs Browns Boys IMO. Beloved by many but the reason is beyond me.

hes the thibking mans permabear

begbysback wrote: »
    Ahh I see - but I wonder has anyone every used this by mistake, like genuinely meeting up with someone next Tuesday!!

had a rep textvitvto me once
    told them to google it
    theor reaction was priceless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Earthhorse wrote: »
    They have machines playing Gaelic now?

Jesus. I'll have to give it a second look.

Jaysus, I thought it was something to do with Artificial Insemination, which is probably practiced widely in Galway.

I’m still an extremely ambitious and hard-working man, who demands the upmost from both himself and his colleagues.... Christmas is a time to stop and reflect, and I will be spending it in Ireland with my family.

9321078_orig.jpg

shall or will

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Ah now. It's nicely written, and I can see the humour in it. Still, like you it's not my cup of tea.
    I get annoyed reading the posts, and if a writer is going to make me feel something, I'd rather it'd be suspense, affection, curiosity, or amusement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Can the negative Nelly's piss off, sick of ye wasting my time with your whining.

Theirs a main forum a click away, read something else, that's how it works, mmkay thanks bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Edit: Drunken Shyte talk deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Kuva wrote: »
    Can the negative Nelly's piss off, sick of ye wasting my time with your whining.

Theirs a main forum a click away, read something else, that's how it works, mmkay thanks bye.

Oh, the ironing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Kuva wrote: »

The valuable time you allocated for reading laudatory only chat on AvB on AH ? OP has only 3 posts on the thread I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I've only came across this now. Could someone please provide me with the tldr: version?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

job seeker wrote: »
    I've only came across this now. Could someone please provide me with the tldr: version?

Just a gimmick poster doing his schtick. Some people love it, some people hate it but most are indifferent.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just a gimmick poster doing his schtick. Some people love it, some people hate it but most are indifferent.

He meant the thread. Not AH in general :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I think there's one clear winner here! :eek:
    437373.jpg
    Aongus exited at the peak. Actually nearly to the day after his OP where he warned of Bitcoin being overpriced it crashed.

Hope you didn't lose too much of your net worth PB... but next time I'd listen to Aongus if i were you!!

Edit: I should add that the graph is two days out of date. Bitcoin has plummeted further down since as indicated by today's price of $12,500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I think there's one clear winner here! :eek:
    437373.jpg
    Aongus exited at the peak. Actually nearly to the day after his OP where he warned of Bitcoin being overpriced it crashed.

Hope you didn't lose too much of your net worth PB... but next time I'd listen to Aongus if i were you!!

Edit: I should add that the graph is two days out of date. Bitcoin has plummeted further down since as indicated by today's price of $12,500.

Seems to have an extremely sharp financial mind does our Aongus. When you read neckbeards going on about HODL and their day trading strategy then you know you’re dealing with a bubble.

Presume the man himself had a relaxing end to his Christmas break, and is ready to take Frankfurt by storm in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Omackeral wrote: »

Thanks! Nothing unusual for After Hours so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Jeez, chill out buddy ;)
    Talk about getting over defensive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Aongus is a send up, a spoof, pure and simple. No-one is like that in real life. I know practically nothing about global financial and stock markets but a cursory quick read of the Financial Times website or likewise and I could pretend to have a deep knowledge of finance.

AvB is a spoofer (albeit funny at times), PermaBear is the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

I'm not really familiar with permabear..female? Wind up merchant.. I've seen the name on some threads.. but nothing caught my eye post wise..what's her angle?

I'm not really familiar with permabear..female? Wind up merchant.. I've seen the name on some threads.. but nothing caught my eye post wise..what's her angle?

hes the re name of donegal lad
    aplarantly be leftvdonegal and became a btc and other financials millionare and he lives with his younger partner who had a child or children from a previous dalliance
    fcuked if i know if its real butvif j had his moolah id not be telling stories on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I was in Charlotte in November,will call for a cup of tea next time I'm back

Advertisement