Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Dan Carter's moving to Belfast lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Is there an understandable timeline of the Darren Cave issue or is it all just hear-say and second-hand information? Haven't a clue what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Teferi wrote: »
    Is there an understandable timeline of the Darren Cave issue or is it all just hear-say and second-hand information? Haven't a clue what is going on.
    He last played on 24th November. Before that he started against La Rochelle a couple of weeks previously. Nothing since. So if there's a time line, it's sometime last month.

Hard to know with all the rumours flying around. Many of them contradictory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Teferi wrote: »

Not really. Cave has never been kiss's favourite and has always been lower down the pecking order than some Ulster fans would argue his skills deserve.

Whether this is related to a series of major personal clash between the two (dating back to when Cave was in the Irish set up) or something else we dont know.

According to rumours there was a major clash between the two earlier in the year. His two appearances since were the la Rochelle start which was with main players rested and the game on 24 November was when Ulster had players in Ireland camp.

Given Cave's comments to the media previously I'm afraid he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on this one.

That said, he is a quality player and I don't like seeing his talent wasted so whatever the issue is I hope it gets resolved in a way that keeps everyone reasonably happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Looks like Cave will be out of contract in 2018. He'll probably want a fresh start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Peregrine wrote: »
    Looks like Cave will be out of contract in 2018. He'll probably want a fresh start.

You mean retirement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

You mean retirement?

Why would he retire. He'd still get a decent paying contract at another province

Synode wrote: »
    Why would he retire. He'd still get a decent paying contract at another province

Maybe English championship but I'd be shocked to see him at another province.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Maybe English championship but I'd be shocked to see him at another province.

Do you not think he could get a contract with a Premiership team? For example I'd say he's a better centre than Whitten who seems to be starting for Exeter anytime I watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He's already basically semi-retired by some accounts, running a coffee shop

Primarily, let's hope him and Les kiss and make up so he can help Ulster on both campaigns for the remainder of the season.

It's an interesting one though. On the one hand I can't imagine his previous comments have endeared him to the IRFU but then again as a business you need to deal with these things and find the most beneficial result for the provinces regardless.

I'd have said that Leinster would probably also rule him out given that he named Heaslip as part of his previous little tirade but Leinster would actually really benefit from someone of Cave's quality and I doubt it would bother Heaslip in the slightest so maybe he may go Mexican for a season or two in the sun before he calls it a day.

Connacht would be another option but it's actually a tough call not knowing who of Aki, Henshaw or Ringrose is going to be called away now that McCloskey and Farrell have entered the equation in a meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd be shocked if Cave wasn't signed by a Premiership team (if, indeed, he wants to continue playing).

bilston wrote: »
    Do you not think he could get a contract with a Premiership team? For example I'd say he's a better centre than Whitten who seems to be starting for Exeter anytime I watch them.

But Whitten has been there for years. Why would you take a punt on a 31 year old Darren Cave who is as slow as a wet week?

And IF these rumours are true, no other Irish province would touch him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He has spent more time running his coffee shop in Belfast than he has playing rugby in recent years.people are assuming if his Ulster career is done then he will want to do that full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He has spent more time running his coffee shop in Belfast than he has playing rugby in recent years.people are assuming if his Ulster career is done then he will want to do that full time.
    Fairly sure he's friendly with Rory McIlroy. Although Cave's a couple of years older, he came from the same town and went to the same school. I've seen him from time to time in photos with McIlroy.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Fairly sure he's friendly with Rory McIlroy. Although Cave's a couple of years older, he came from the same town and went to the same school. I've seen him from time to time in photos with McIlroy.

Well sure he's sorted so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

But Whitten has been there for years. Why would you take a punt on a 31 year old Darren Cave who is as slow as a wet week? .

I never get people saying he's slow. Name me a seriously speedy 31 year old centre? His support lines are always top drawer and his defensive reading is still right up there. He has a decent try scoring record and as I've said before most of his scores come from running great trail lines of the initial attacker.

He's not going to set the world on fire at any club but he still has a couple of years to offer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭durthacht

Bring Ian home

Madigan or McKinley?

Whitten.

Bring all the Ians home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did we ever have Humphreys, McKinley, Madigan and Keatley available at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

The Hill have listened!

Cave to start this week and get his 200 cap away in Galway.
    Yikes, bit of a kick in the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

$ausage$ wrote: »
    The Hill have listened!

Cave to start this week and get his 200 cap away in Galway.
    Yikes, bit of a kick in the teeth.

Sending a weakened side I'm guessing in advance of the Leinster match?

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Camp Schmidt on this week I think which will affect things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

awec wrote: »
    Camp Schmidt on this week I think which will affect things.

It's a 2 day camp and there's a big gap between games I think, Munster v Leinster isn't for another 7 days, so there should be time to get everyone training in the lead up to it.

Edit - sorry I assumed there was a full match program on the 26th, I see Ulster play on the 23rd. That obviously changes things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It's almost as if Cave had said declined going to the RWC to hold tackle bags, and instead gone to watch NI in the Euros when Les Kiss was part of the national coaching set-up, and that Les hadn't liked that, and thought less of Darren for doing so.

But as was excitedly speculated at the time, that was McCloskey, who has, of course, never subsequently played for Ireland... If only there had been someone on Boreds saying all the time it was Cave...

Jaysus I must have been hallucinating during the Ai's, I thought McCloskey played for Ireland, must have been someone who looked very like him.

TBH I'd think less of any player who turned down the chance to represent his country, to go watch a soccer tournament. Shows a distinctly poor and self centered attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

stephen_n wrote: »
    Jaysus I must have been hallucinating during the Ai's, I thought McCloskey played for Ireland, must have been someone who looked very like him.

TBH I'd think less of any player who turned down the chance to represent his country, to go watch a soccer tournament. Shows a distinctly poor and self centered attitude.

I don't remember the exact details, but I don't think Paul is correct - the RWC and the Euros were on in different years, for a start. Perhaps he meant the Euro qualifiers?

But either way, I believe that he wasn't turning down a squad place, he was just invited to help the actual squad out with training.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I don't remember the exact details, but I don't think Paul is correct - the RWC and the Euros were on in different years, for a start. Perhaps he meant the Euro qualifiers?

But either way, I believe that he wasn't turning down a squad place, he was just invited to help the actual squad out with training.

Yeah, he's completely confused.

Cave didn't refuse to join the RWC squad (no-one did) - he was in fact selected and travelled. Except that when the exact circumstances arose that should have seen him picked, i.e. a vacancy at 13, Joe decided to pass on him and picked Earls out of position instead.

The refusal of a call-up by player unknown happened during the 2016 summer tour to South Africa when Payne (I think) got injured. A call went out to an Ulster player and he declined it. There was much speculation about who it was but it was known that it was not McCloskey (Paul is also wrong in saying everyone on boards thought it was him). It so happened that McCloskey was on hols at the Euros but it was not he who was called up.

Whoever said player is/was, he signed his own P45 that day. And rugby is a small community, no other province would ever take on such a player and I doubt any big club would do so either.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd say a big club would be delighted to sign a good player who has no interest in playing test rugby. Sounds like a premiership or top14 managers wet dream.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I'd say a big club would be delighted to sign a good player who has no interest in playing test rugby. Sounds like a premiership or top14 managers wet dream.

Again, and purely hypothetically, if a player was leaving his existing club for disciplinary reasons or bad attitude, he'd want to be a serious player to be taking that gamble on.

I'm not sure Ulster have anyone who falls into that category.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement