Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas cross city line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Here's a funny one.

Theyve done a lot of work on the LUAS lines at the top of constitution hill at the junction with Western Way, where the Maxol used to be. About a month ago the inside lane Northbound at the junction had been converted to a wide cycle lane a big bike icon painted on it.

Sometime last week it was converted back into a traffic lane.

Southbound the inside lane at the same junction has been converted into a left only lane, putting motorists in direct conflict with cyclists travelling on the cycle lane.

Its almost as if they're taking every opportunity possible to marginalise cyclists.

Location here:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3542144,-6.2730584,3a,75y,295.14h,65.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shPdaoqJm8vAyaMmqePXZNg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

College Green is complete and total child's play compared to the right turn onto Parnell Square West. Would like to say that it is inconceivable how the Luas was allowed to go ahead without some allowance for cyclists here but that would be naïve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

never heard of that brand. is it carbon, aluminium or steel?

Google's your friend. I'm not just any auld warfarin...I'm on warfarin teva :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Regarding those "Cyclists Dismount" signs, This is a very good point. (one which i have to admit hadn't occurred to me).

"He says that the signs will make drivers more aggressive towards cyclists as they give the impression that cyclists have to dismount on these strips – when they don’t have to, he says."

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2017/12/13/as-luas-launches-some-cyclists-avoid-the-city-centre/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not just motorists. i could easily foresee any potential court case involving death or injury being stymied by a judge questioning 'why didn't the cyclist dismount when instructed to?'

• Advertisement

Agree. So if you cycle thru town and come off your bike along that section...if you're not wearing a helmet, if you're not wearing Hi-viz (in daylight), if you happen to have anything covering your ears and you failed to heed the dismount signs, then your screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

first time turning right from the quays over O'Connell bridge since new line got going....much longer wait than "normal" this morning ?
    might turn right onto Capel st bridge and go down College green, then where would i go to get around to the south side of Trinity coll.?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Crossing O'Connell bridge from the south-side for the first time since the luas went live intending to go right down Eden quay. First to the lights at top of Westmoreland Street waiting for a full sequence of lights before I got the green. Move off and looking for a bit of momentum and trying to get the angle to cross the wet tracks, of course the "professional driver" behind me wasn't waiting for anyone and tried to pass me just as I angled across the tracks at about 45 degrees. Just missed me. He of course had the window down as he passed me on Eden quay offering some helpful advice about how I shouldn't be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Around O'Connell Bridge in particular, it might be worth considering using a hook turn, instead of the usual right-turn route.

So, coming from Westmoreland Street you'd stay to the left, hook into the top of Bachelor's Walk and wait for the next light to proceed straight towards Eden Quay.

Coming from Bachelor's Walk you'd stay to the left, hook into the bottom of O'Connell Street and wait for the next light to proceed across O'Connell Bridge.

436157.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I see on Parnell St they have installed some flexible bollards along the central isle, between the tracks. This means cyclists will have to use the centre of the West bound track to turn on to the Square - a good move.

Plenty of cyclists yesterday and today making the turn with no fuss. None were seen hiding behind their mams skirts.

Mustn't be boardsies then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Moflojo wrote: »
    Around O'Connell Bridge in particular, it might be worth considering using a hook turn, instead of the usual right-turn route.

So, coming from Westmoreland Street you'd stay to the left, hook into the top of Bachelor's Walk and wait for the next light to proceed straight towards Eden Quay.

Coming from Bachelor's Walk you'd stay to the left, hook into the bottom of O'Connell Street and wait for the next light to proceed across O'Connell Bridge.

Might give that a try this eve, it's dark, rainy, the tracks will be slippy and I don't fancy the stress that goes with that right turn onto eden quay from Westmoreland st. Good suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Can I ask why not just dismount where suggested? Surely the couple of minutes delay in return for greater safety is more than worth it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what are you meant to do with your bike? hoist it up onto a busy footpath?
    multiply that by the multiple cyclists passing through the area at rush hour.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Can I ask why not just dismount where suggested? Surely the couple of minutes delay in return for greater safety is more than worth it?

or just get the luas into town and leave the bikes at home? Yes cyclists could dismount and walk and I suspect many will (and pedestrians won't like it)...motorists could also just take care and give cyclists time and space to cross the tracks safely?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Is there a cyclists remount sign? Instructions unclear, walked home.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Whatever happened to common sense? Just avoid streets that involve cycling parallel to tram tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is there a cyclists remount sign?
    Kind-of.

Jump to 4.40 in the video;

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/940569940855103489

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Plenty of cyclists yesterday and today making the turn with no fuss. None were seen hiding behind their mams skirts.
    It's a dreadful turn for cyclists, especially those on a racer. As mentioned already, College Green is child's play compared to negotiating that turn and that layout has received considerable criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whatever happened to common sense? Just avoid streets that involve cycling parallel to tram tracks.

Hard to with 1 Way systems and them now being all over the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

For those who aren't familiar with it and wonder what all the fuss is about, this is the Parnell St/Parnell Sq W junction:

2n09ftf.jpg

2gydtlw.jpg

20tm5xt.jpg

I really can't understand why a cycle lane couldn't have been included instead of the long narrow section of the traffic island. This, or an indent in the traffic island where the bike is locked, would allow for a much safer track crossing angle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I haven't been in town in a while. I see what you mean. Its really odd they made no provision for cyclists. Very little effort would have avoided any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

As long as the car, taxi, truck, bus and Luas drivers that are following behind me while I walk have the same attitude, great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

College Green is complete and total child's play compared to the right turn onto Parnell Square West. Would like to say that it is inconceivable how the Luas was allowed to go ahead without some allowance for cyclists here but that would be naïve.

This lad may have a word to say about that....

https://twitter.com/thegreenandred/status/940682555489247237

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They should paint a red line along the tram line where its going be crossed by cyclists to make it more obvious.

If its not your usual route you might not be expecting it.

For those who aren't familiar with it and wonder what all the fuss is about, this is the Parnell St/Parnell Sq W junction:

I really can't understand why a cycle lane couldn't have been included instead of the long narrow section of the traffic island. This, or an indent in the traffic island where the bike is locked, would allow for a much safer track crossing angle.

That whole Street should be a no go area for cars, taxis, buses and commercial vehicles. Just trams, pedestrians and cyclists and it would be a much more pleasant place for everyone.

There is a plan for a second Cultural Quarter around Parnell Square which will alter the current traffic layout, especially limiting it along the West side.

There is also a plan to for a plaza around College Green.

Perhaps this is what informed the current designs? Why waste extra money on cycling facilities when the new plans for the surrounding area will render them redundant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    There is a plan for a second Cultural Quarter around Parnell Square which will alter the current traffic layout, especially limiting it along the West side.

There is also a plan to for a plaza around College Green.

Perhaps this is what informed the current designs? Why waste extra money on cycling facilities when the new plans for the surrounding area will render them redundant?

The plans for Parnell Square include a pedestrian plaza on the north side of the square in front of the proposed City Library and the Hugh Lane Gallery. The west side will continue to be a significant traffic route AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Some pretty awful accounts here of the injuries people have suffered during the construction of Luas Cross City.
    https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/941419710121472000

The plans for Parnell Square include a pedestrian plaza on the north side of the square in front of the proposed City Library and the Hugh Lane Gallery. The west side will continue to be a significant traffic route AFAIK.

I hear on good authority the pedestrian area at the North end will extend onto the West side and the traffic will be limited to public transport only ( pending approval ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Moflojo wrote: »
    Some pretty awful accounts here of the injuries people have suffered during the construction of Luas Cross City.
    https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/941419710121472000

Mrs Droidus came off on a dark night on O'Connell St early last year when the tracks were under construction and not signposted - judging by those stories there must be dozens, if not hundreds more.

How long until someone sues?

Advertisement