Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas cross city line

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did anyone consider the detrimental effect of whether dublin will be able to hold the opening time trial in the TdF again now that there's tracks festooned (festina'ed?) across the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Suburban NIMBYism? The accounts in this thread and the DCC map on their own are evidence that it's a problem.
    Why do you feel you can discount that evidence?

Mainly because it looks so contrived, tbh. The twitter photos for example - did one chap take a knife to his knee? Did the other throw himself under a steamroller? Not the injuries of going on your ear by the tracks. I've seen a few - in each instance the repercussions were road rash and embarrassment - a lot less melodramatic.

The other piece of ' evidence ' looks more like massaging the data to fit an agenda, liberally dressed in clickbait.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How does that work out as NIMBYism then?

The NIMBY is a master of extending his geographical boundaries of concern.

A few trips into town and he's an expert in urban planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's sobering to think that it's all downhill now. You'll never top those two posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Mainly because it looks so contrived, tbh. The twitter photos for example - did one chap take a knife to his knee? Did the other throw himself under a steamroller? Not the injuries of going on your ear by the tracks. .
    Denial is not a river in Egypt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mainly because it looks so contrived, tbh. The twitter photos for example - did one chap take a knife to his knee? Did the other throw himself under a steamroller? Not the injuries of going on your ear by the tracks. I've seen a few - in each instance the repercussions were road rash and embarrassment - a lot less melodramatic.

The other piece of ' evidence ' looks more like massaging the data to fit an agenda, liberally dressed in clickbait.

Ive fractured my elbow by going over on a slick patch of tarmac so yeah these pics are perfectly believable.

But hey you've seen accidents that had a lot less damage so that must be the case for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just to put this in context especially for those advocating that cyclists should dismount or avoid the College Green and Parnell St areas:

The Dublin City Centre Transport Study was adopted by Dublin City Council and the NTA as recently as 2016. This followed a full consultation period and factored in the Luas Cross City line which was then under construction. The Study includes an objective to develop key Primary Cycle routes from the 2013 Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan. The North-South Central Spine route in this Plan runs from College Green to Parnell Square via O'Connell Street and the East-West Central Spine runs from Nassau Street to College Green.

Interestingly, the Plan seems to indicate that the North-South Spine should continue up the east side of Parnell Square from O'Connell Street rather than go around the south and west sides as it currently does but I suspect we could be waiting a while for this to happen.

I'm not sure what the point in all of that is? If those are the objectives, Cross City has temporarily thrown a spanner in the works. If someone takes a spill on those LUAS tracks, the above will be of cold comfort to them. I hope they get to note that themselves of course.
    Another day, of cyclists navigating the new infrastructure with no dramas.

Perhaps its those of us that live and/ or work around the city center that don't have a problem? It does seem the further away you live, the more shrill your indignation will be.

Is it just suburban NIMBY-ism rearing its head again, looking for something to complain about? I think so. The original Luas tracks and also, believe it or not, the Dublin Bike scheme was met with the same breathless outrage, by those living on the fringes of the city.

Are you waiting for a super serious injury or a death here or something?

Weepsie wrote: »

But hey you've seen accidents that had a lot less damage so that must be the case for all of them.

100 %. Most common way of ' coming a cropper ' is coming to a sudden stop ( from a wheel caught in the tracks or braking hard to avoid a pedestrian ) , followed by a short flight over the bars.

Bruised ribs and wrists, grazed knee/ shins are the typical injuries sustained in this scenario. If you skimped on trouser quality, a trip to the local tailor will be on the cards ( 20 euro to repair a hole in the knee ).

Slipping while turning on the tracks is also common but usually happens at such a slow speed there aren't any injuries. Mind you, Dublin Bikes make a terrible noise when they hit the deck.like a car crash. even when they're barely moving. When you hear it, its hard to imagine its not serious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

People have been seriously injured crossing the tracks. This is an undeniable fact.

There are lots of things going on in the world that I don't personally witness, but that I can accept as happening/happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Shows how these injuries are occurring.

• Advertisement

^ Thats exactly what I'm talking about, the most common type of fall on the tracks.

Clearly, its not a significant fall. Afterwards, if hes a rational person, he'll review his roadcraft and cross the tracks at a better angle next time.

If hes not, he'll complain the Infrastructure is unsuitable for his needs and try to hold the rest of the city to ransom for his lack of ability and civic mindedness - a future NIMBY in the making.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

^ Thats exactly what I'm talking about, the most common type of fall on the tracks.

Clearly, its not a significant fall. Afterwards, if hes a rational person, he'll review his roadcraft and cross the tracks at a better angle next time.

If hes not, he'll complain the Infrastructure is unsuitable for his needs and try to hold the rest of the city to ransom for his lack of ability and civic mindedness - a future NIMBY in the making.

Well you clearly can't say what someone else's experience is.

If someone puts their hand out they could snap a wrist (as happened to a friend of mine), they could be nervous cyclists, only trying it out and after the fall never cycle in the city again, all of which are significant.

This is aside from the serious injuries that have resulted with tram lines.

You do not get to decide what is significant to someone from the outside in.

The tram lines are here to stay, we have to learn to safely navigate them.
    They do not make the city more bike friendly. This is an issue.
    Hopefully there will be better designed traffic flow to reflect this.

Cycling around town this week, when some drivers are, for some reason, suffering a bizarre kind if mania and blindness to all other road users, crossing the tracks isn't a comfy experience.

That most navigate them safely is without doubt, but that there are issues with them is undeniable. Diminishing those experiences helps no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Clearly, its not a significant fall.

1. Depends on how you fast you're travelling.

2. Depends on how you land.

3. The outcome of this "not a significant fall" depends on how strong, fit, and healthy you are.

4. That's a shared traffic lane. His "not a significant fall" could have become very significant, very quickly if a motor vehicle had been travelling closely behind him.

5. [Insert ad hominem attack on OleRodrigo here for his obvious trolling on this thread.]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Where does that line of reasoning end?

Should future public transport projects also ignore the impact on cycling safety, because the onus is on cyclists to review their road craft and angles?

Should existing cycle paths be allowed to fall into even further disrepair, because the onus is on cyclists to review their road craft and angles?

Should the anti-cyclist culture among large swathes of the motorist population simply be accepted and condoned, because the onus is on cyclists to review their road craft and angles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Where does that line of reasoning end?

Should future public transport projects also ignore the impact on cycling safety, because the onus is on cyclists to review their road craft and angles?

Should existing cycle paths be allowed to fall into even further disrepair, because the onus is on cyclists to review their road craft and angles?

Should the anti-cyclist culture among large swathes of the motorist population simply be accepted and condoned, because the onus is on cyclists to review their road craft and angles?

Essentially thats what they want to do, blame the individual for a systems failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was coming through College Green the other night, from Nassau St hoping to head onto Westmoreland St. I stopped at the lights just to the south of Trinity gate, and made sure to position myself right on the sensor with my heavy hybrid.

I sat through four cycles of lights for oncoming traffic and pedestrians as the bus traffic built up behind me, and eventually I proceeded with caution through the pedestrian phase before I brought gridlock to all of Nassau and Dawson St.

I don't know who to approach about this - DCC or the NTA? Maybe the AA?

Advertisement