Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas cross city line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I have the Strava KOM along Parnell Square West, so with the track and cobbles there now, I don't think it will ever be beaten :D

Hold my beer....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I think the safest way to cycle from College Green to Parnell Square is to cycle right smack in the middle of the lane. When you need to cross the tracks, slow down (and make sure the cars behind you have slowed), then make the turn at as near to 90 degrees as possible.

This makes the most sense to me too. What would be helpful would be to paint bicycle logos in the middle of the tracks to encourage people to cycle there (and legitimise the practice in the eyes of other road users) and take down those bloody stupid "Cyclists Dismount" signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I had thought that the yellow dots on the road near some of the luas tracks might have been the recommended cycling line but not so according to the Code of Practice for Contractors. They mark the outer edge of the trams. I did discover what to do if you fall in front or a tram:

• Warn drivers of approaching trams as follows:
    - In daylight, by holding both hands over one’s head and at dusk or darkness by holding RED light steady in the direction of the tram.
    - In daylight or darkness, by waving two arms, any coloured flag or light vigorously above one’s head or from side to side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    .....As I live off Parnell Square, I pass that junction at least once a day, in all weathers. Taking the lane early ....
    How do you take the lane early there as it's a bit awkward to do so when you're on the left of double tram lines on the approach to the junction?

I use that junction regularly and have several ad hoc methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

How do you take the lane early there as it's a bit awkward to do so when you're on the left of double tram lines on the approach to the junction?

I use that junction regularly and have several ad hoc methods.

Take a position in the centre of the West bound tracks early - straight after the turn from O'Connell St or after the crossing from Parnell St. If you end up on the left of the West bound tracks it'll make turning harder. Its not too difficult as you should be moving with the traffic from either approach when the light goes green, allowing you to take charge quickly and easily. If its already full, nose your way in when it starts to move.

You need to be in the centre of the West bound tracks or between the West and Southbound tracks.

Making the turn across the tracks on to the square as far down as possible, so you end up outside the Sinn Fein offices and have given plenty of space to traffic to pass on your right.

The problem that I have seen is cyclists intuitively take a position to the left of the ( West bound) tracks, between the tracks and the traffic island, which leaves them exposed to restless cars squeezing past, or worse, some delivery guy going straight ahead ( which is illegal ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Take a position in the centre of the West bound tracks early - straight after the turn from O'Connell St or after the crossing from Parnell St. If you end up on the left of the West bound tracks it'll make turning harder. Its not too difficult as you should be moving with the traffic from either approach when the light goes green, allowing you to take charge quickly and easily. If its already full, nose your way in when it starts to move.

You need to be in the left of the West bound tracks or between the West and Southbound tracks.

Making the turn across the tracks on to the square as far down as possible, so you end up outside the Sinn Fein offices and have given plenty of space to traffic to pass on your right.

The problem that I have seen is cyclists intuitively take a position to the left of the ( West bound) tracks, between the tracks and the traffic island, which leaves them exposed to restless cars squeezing past, or worse, some delivery guy going straight ahead ( which is illegal ).

I'm normally in the left of those tracks and cross over almost perpendicular to the tracks up Parnell sq. That's of course before the luas went live.

My lesson was to be in the straight ahead lane on O'Connell bridge and stick to the middle of the tracks.( this may change) . Got caught on the right of the tracks in October and came off when I tried crossing them. 2 months on and my leg hasn't healed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....The problem that I have seen is cyclists intuitively take a position to the left of the ( West bound) tracks, between the tracks and the traffic island, which leaves them exposed to restless cars squeezing past, or worse, some delivery guy going straight ahead ( which is illegal ).
    That's what I usually tend to do. I'll try your method the next time I'm there.

(If the pedestrian lights activate just before the junction, I sometimes use the delay of the red light to move sideways across both tram lines and continue to the turn on on the right side of the street).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I don't go through the city centre much at the moment. I will probably avoid the areas with the new tracks for a while.

That Transdev guy is some joker though. "What, cyclists coming a cropper on tram tracks? Whoever heard of such a thing?"

That's what I usually tend to do. I'll try your method the next time I'm there.

(If the pedestrian lights activate just before the junction, I sometimes use the delay of the red light to move sideways across both tram lines and continue to the turn on on the right side of the street).

Keeping to the right can be problematic. Outside the Rotunda there's usually traffic trying to park/ ambulances etc...and then you have to move across traffic to get to left side of the square. Motorists tend to put the foot down once they turn at that point, as you have probably noticed, as its the first open stretch of road on a journey through the city centre. Keeping your trajectory towards the left avoids all of that, except for busses pulling in, but if you've taken the tracks earlier they cant pull across you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Hold my beer....

While you flag it and have it removed as a dangerous segment? :confused::confused::confused::D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Keeping to the right can be problematic. Outside the Rotunda there's usually traffic trying to park/ ambulances etc...and then you have to move across traffic to get to left side of the square. Motorists tend to put the foot down once they turn at that point, as you have probably noticed, as its the first open stretch of road on a journey through the city centre. Keeping your trajectory towards the left avoids all of that, except for busses pulling in, but if you've taken the tracks earlier they cant pull across you.

In fairness OleRodrigo, for an inexperienced cyclist trying to get from O'Connell St to Parnell Sq it is daunting to try and get across 4 tram lines especially were it is almost impossible to dissect it at a 90degree angle. I have pointed this out in a couple of earlier threads on the subject. I crossed it many times over the Summer and always thought that someone will come a cropper there once the LUAS starts, especially on a wet or icy day

In fairness OleRodrigo, for an inexperienced cyclist trying to get from O'Connell St to Parnell Sq it is daunting to try and get across 4 tram lines especially were it is almost impossible to dissect it at a 90degree angle. I have pointed this out in a couple of earlier threads on the subject. I crossed it many times over the Summer and always thought that someone will come a cropper there once the LUAS starts, especially on a wet or icy day

I disagree. Once or twice is enough to form an approach that works. The Parnell Sq junction is probably the trickiest of the new infrastructure but its still entirely manageable if you apply yourself and after a couple of attempts its done and dusted.

I don't buy all this ' inexperienced ' malarky, its a cop out. You cant become experienced without doing it in the first place.

You don't have to cross at 90 degrees - between 45 and 90 also works. Crossing four lines is the same as crossing one, once you have approached the first one correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭buffalo

I disagree. Once or twice is enough to form an approach that works. The Parnell Sq junction is probably the trickiest of the new infrastructure but its still entirely manageable if you apply yourself and after a couple of attempts its done and dusted.

Once or twice is enough to take a tumble and decide not to cycle in the city centre again.

I was up that way during construction work, and I'm not looking forward to having to go through it at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I don't buy all this ' inexperienced ' malarky, its a cop out. You cant become experienced without doing it in the first place.

You don't have to cross at 90 degrees - between 45 and 90 also works. Crossing four lines is the same as crossing one, once you have approached the first one correctly.

Of course you can't become experienced without doing it in the first place. What I am saying is that some people will look at it and just go '**** that, its too dodgy and I'm not cycling on it'.
    I understand you don't have to cross at 90 degree angle but at best you cross these at about a 30 degree angle as the track curves around as you go across it.
    Like I said, I have done it several times but I still think that it is tricky in traffic

If you are crossing at 30 degrees everyday, you will eventually slide on the track, probably in the rain.

(By "you" I mean the impersonal everyman. "One" just sounded pretentious.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Crossing tracks at 30 degrees on a "Dublin Bike" should be ok. Crossing at 30 degrees on a road bike with 23mm tyres??

After a year or so of crossing a track at about 30 degrees with no problems I slipped in torrential rain. 28mm tyres.

(I was fine.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well college green was a nightmare this morning coming from pearse street. Busses everywhere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was a signalling failure on the luas line this morning. before now, that'd only affect luas lines - now it seems it causes city centre bedlam. still, what timing, with the frost and proximity to christmas, and first rush hour shakedown of the luas, it was near a perfect storm.

P_1 wrote: »
    Well college green was a nightmare this morning coming from pearse street. Busses everywhere

D'olier st was no better.
    Bikes had nowhere to go.
    Took me 20 minutes from the bridge to the of d'olier st in the car.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Took me 20 minutes from the bridge to the of d'olier st in the car.(
    Good.

Good.

Ah I wouldn't go that far! But I think the one mode of transport that is no longer welcome in the city centre is the single occupant private car. I think anyone that has to drive into the city centre is really at a disadvantage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is the topic of the DCC meeting on monday.
    Am at this meeting - we need a boards secret signal to identify each other when we meet in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Ah I wouldn't go that far! But I think the one mode of transport that is no longer welcome in the city centre is the single occupant private car. I think anyone that has to drive into the city centre is really at a disadvantage.
    It's a favorable outcome.

Im only in the car since coming off my bike on the luas tracks 2 months ago. My legs still not healed up:mad:

I promise, I'll be back on it after Christmas as soon as I get wider tyres on my shiney new bike.....you know, that Planet X Rt58 we had a thread on way back, whenever it was.....and which I've not used yet....due to falling off on my other bike.:D

Wow! Two months and your leg hasn't healed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Seen cyclist fall on O’Connell Bridge this evening just after 7. He was up quickly and perhaps a bit shaken. Luckily, no cars were behind. Dark and slipppp-py!!

Wow! Two months and your leg hasn't healed?

Being on Warfarin makes things more complicated

Being on Warfarin
    never heard of that brand. is it carbon, aluminium or steel?

• Advertisement

Advertisement